2.0 List help

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Drake_master

2.0 List help

#1 Post by Drake_master »

Hi All

Getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus, going to a tournament in a couple of weeks and was hopping to get some feedback on what I should take.

I'm undecided between running a foot build or an all cav build (my preferred army in 8th) as I'm concerned the cav build will have next to no ability to grind after the all important charge. Any tips or thoughts also welcome

Cav build

High Prince, Queen's Cavalier, horse, Shield, Dragon forged Armour, Lance, King Slayer, Daemons Bane, Diadem of Protection, lucky charm- 625

Mage, Wizard Master, Elven Horse, LA, Asfad Scholar, Book of Meladys, Glitering robe- 680

Prince, horse, H Armour, GW, BSB, Death cheater Armour - 360

10 x Highborn lancers, full command, banner of Becalming - 605

5 x Highborn lancers, full command - 310

5 x Highborn lancers - 250

8 x Knights of Ryma, full command, banner of Ryma - 627

2 x 1 Great Eagle - 200

2 x Frost Phoenix - 840

Inf Build

High Prince, High warden of the flame, Shield, Heavy armour, Spear, Sliver of the Blazing dawn,Daemons Bane, Willows Ward - 555

Mage, Wizard Master, Book of Meladys- 465

Prince, Royal Huntsman, H Armour, GW, BSB, Death cheater Armour - 390

30 x Citizen Spears, full command, Banner of Becalming- 540

2 x 5 Highborn lancers - 500

10 x Citizen Archers - 170

23 Flame Wardens, full command, banner of Ryma- 709

10x Lion Guard, Skirmish - 230

2 x 1 Giant eagle - 200

2 x Sea Guard Reaper - 370

2 x 5 Grey watchers - 350
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 2.0 List help

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Hi Drake_master and welcome!

:)

I am way out of touch since early 9th Age but...
Drake_master wrote:I'm concerned the cav build will have next to no ability to grind after the all important charge.
One option is to swap out the Knights of Ryma for elite infantry, though I know the KoR are supposed to be good.
Drake_master wrote:King Slayer
Is this a +Strength sword? Because that's what you probably need for grinding.
Drake_master wrote:Mage, Wizard Master, Elven Horse, LA, Asfad Scholar, Book of Meladys, Glitering robe- 680
I guess you either take a Path that buffs combat or maybe with some magic missiles to pick stuff off at range?
Drake_master wrote:Death cheater Armour
What does this do? Is it enough to let this guy fight front-line?
Drake_master wrote:10 x Highborn lancers
Is this the unit max or will you generally run the characters in the KoR?
Drake_master wrote:5 x Highborn lancers, full command - 310

5 x Highborn lancers - 250
Given you have Eagles, might it be worth swapping these out for Archers? Some kind of shooting could be handy.
Drake_master wrote:Inf Build
This looks quite balanced. It might need some more shooting. Because foot lists are slower to get into combat, foes with more shooting can be an issue. So I feel it's wise to have a heavy presence in that phase.
Drake_master

#3 Post by Drake_master »

Thanks for the Feedback SpellArcher
SpellArcher wrote: One option is to swap out the Knights of Ryma for elite infantry, though I know the KoR are supposed to be good.
I agree I guess that's why I'm considering the infantry build.
SpellArcher wrote: Is this a +Strength sword? Because that's what you probably need for grinding.
King slayer is the 8th ed Sword of Anti Heros except on a lance in this instance. They have taken out the ability to build the old cav prince as the +3 strength enchantment no longer grants AP.
SpellArcher wrote: I guess you either take a Path that buffs combat or maybe with some magic missiles to pick stuff off at range?
Yep I’m planning on divination for this guy it’s got some magic missiles and some combat buffs
SpellArcher wrote: What does this do? Is it enough to let this guy fight front-line?
Yep, it’s +1 armour and 4+ regen in a unit full of 2+ saves vs flaming I feel this guy will be solid
SpellArcher wrote: Is this the unit max or will you generally run the characters in the KoR?
The 2 combat guys will run in the KoR, the mage in the 5 lances with command. The unit is maxed out from a practicality point of view (they no longer fight in 3 ranks)
SpellArcher wrote: Given you have Eagles, might it be worth swapping these out for Archers? Some kind of shooting could be handy.
I think from a purely practical point of view your right, but I’m going for an all fast moving theme
SpellArcher wrote: This looks quite balanced. It might need some more shooting. Because foot lists are slower to get into combat, foes with more shooting can be an issue. So I feel it's wise to have a heavy presence in that phase.
I’m not sure (hence asking for feedback I guess) what do you think I should drop? I hear getting a third bolt thrower in is key but I’m not sure want to over invest and stand back and shoot each game.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Drake_master wrote:Thanks for the Feedback SpellArcher
You're welcome.
Drake_master wrote:Yep, it’s +1 armour and 4+ regen in a unit full of 2+ saves vs flaming I feel this guy will be solid
Sounds pretty good!
Drake_master wrote:The 2 combat guys will run in the KoR, the mage in the 5 lances with command. The unit is maxed out from a practicality point of view (they no longer fight in 3 ranks)
In 8th it's more common to run fighting characters in Silver Helms because they do the killing, the Helms are mostly just armoured bodies. So you arguably want a lot to maintain ranks and protect the characters from shooting, as opposed to actually fighting. Knights of Ryma are better at killing so may be fine on their own. I guess their Banner gives bonuses to the characters though?
Drake_master wrote:I think from a purely practical point of view your right, but I’m going for an all fast moving theme
Maybe a few Reavers with bows?
Drake_master wrote:I’m not sure (hence asking for feedback I guess) what do you think I should drop? I hear getting a third bolt thrower in is key but I’m not sure want to over invest and stand back and shoot each game.
OK, I'd take as much shooting as you're comfortable with then! Their high strength looks useful but how key are the Lions? Maybe drop an Eagle or a unit of Grey Watchers?