In need of an advice: BSB

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
grandalf

In need of an advice: BSB

#1 Post by grandalf »

Hi folks!
A tournament coming up and I'm brooding on my list. I'm tired of losing so this time I think I'll try a rather defensive list with lots of Infantry and bows, with the exception of a General on a lion chariot. My plan was to give my BSB the bow of elu, sitting in the back line sniping off enemy characters. But I've learned that if it's one guy you should give massive protection its the BSB and with him having the BoE I have no points for that.
So what do you say:
- Should I stick to my plan or should I give him a cheaper cc weapon + maximized protection?

I'm thinking of giving him a "bunker" of 15 archers, but it seems a rayher weak bunker.. I could also drop the chariot for another character and make him BSB, but I like my chariot...

Thanks for advice here!

/G
20phoenix

Re: In need of an advice: BSB

#2 Post by 20phoenix »

It's never a good idea to have an infantry character running around solo.

It's hard to advise in isolation though - what's the rest of the list?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: In need of an advice: BSB

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

20phoenix is correct on both points. It's hard to give specific advise in isolation and most characters shouldn't run solo (stuff on monsters and chariots excluded).

In general, you need your BSB close to your combat troops. That is where you will need the LD rerolls most. Which doesn't mean he shouldn't go in archers by the way. That really depends on your play style. I'm generally fairly aggressive with lots of movement. Which means that a BSB in my archers would be out of range of my combat troops. So for me that would be a bad place. But if you're more defensive in how you play then archers can be a good place.

One thing to keep in mind is that you characters don't always have to go in the same unit or have to stay in the same unit throughout the battle. They can move around as needed. And if you think during deployment that a character is needed somewhere else then you can easily place him there.

For me, the only reason I would give a magical bow to a character is if I was running a gunline (bowline...) style army. Though even then I would probably go for defensive options on my BSB first before giving him extra's. You have run into one of the HE difficulties when making army lists. It's very hard to make a good combat character on foot. We lack good non-magical defensive gear and are only T3. So we will always need magical armour (and preferably a ward of some kind). But because were are also low S (for characters) we also need some kind of weapon to increase our S. The most common solution you see is to mount a combat character. With barding as an option, you can get a 2+ armour save with mundane stuff (compared to a 4+ on foot), which leaves those magic item points for other options, which makes them viable.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.