The Learning Curve

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: The Learning Curve

#31 Post by SpellArcher »

20phoenix wrote:Griffon
This guy is still the equivalent of Monstrous Beast in 9th Age I believe? He certainly used to be.
Prince of Spires wrote:And the only downside they have is that hiding in units is tough.
No Thunderstomp can make it harder to chew through Infantry quickly. From my experience, cannon can still be a problem if running in Cavalry say but a unit remains great protection against magic or RBT for example.
20phoenix

#32 Post by 20phoenix »

SpellArcher wrote:
20phoenix wrote:Griffon
This guy is still the equivalent of Monstrous Beast in 9th Age I believe? He certainly used to be.
I think I got confused because he has towering presence.
20phoenix

#33 Post by 20phoenix »

The infantry character list got another run out yesterday versus a KoE knight army. I had decided beforehand to try out Divination as I hadn't done so yet.

We rolled counter thrust and the scoring unit types. Since he was all Knight I figured he wanted to be in combat ASAP so i conga lined some reavers across the middle to force his deployment back. He started to focus drops on the right side by a hill so I held back my main combat threats, deploying my chaffy units on the right, shooting in the centre and eventually main combat on the left where his grail knights were. Plan was to use my chaffy stuff to slow up his right flank while the shooting and magic focused on them and my combat units could deal with the left side.

I'm not going to go into too much detail on the game itself as the dice skewed it massively. My opponent couldn't make an armour save and saved his high rolls for panic tests which resulted in his entire right flank crumpling. His left flank fared little better with only his peg knight lord actually impacting the game, killing the lion chariot and Queens Guard. By turn 5 he had the Peg knight who was about to be charged by the intact SM/WotHF unit and a very lonely hippogryph character facing off against all my shooting and cav so we called it.

Sadly other than some game craft elements and exposure to a new race there wasn't much to learn from that game as the dice meant I didn't really get to see if my decision making was right or how the list fared.

Divination was interesting but I don't feel it impacted the game massively. Will try it again at some point.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#34 Post by Prince of Spires »

These games happen. Sometimes you just have a game where you can't make a roll to save your life. They aren't always the most fun games, though I find it really depends on your and your opponent's attitude. But I prefer games where I win or lose because of skill. Though it must be said that the best players tend to say that they want to avoid rolling dice as much as possible. After all, there is always the chance you'll roll way above or below average.

Still, seeing a new army in action is in itself worth something. As is getting more familiar with your own army (even if it's only how far can stuff move and what do I need to roll).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
20phoenix

#35 Post by 20phoenix »

I went back to Pyromancy for my next game, using the saved points from Asfad to bump my swordmasters up to 20 (Asfad doesn't feel worth it for a 24" lore).

This evening's opponent was my DE oppo from my first T9A game but with an army switch to ogres.

He was fielding something like:

Khan with glittering cuirass and other stuff.
Shaman with fire ring and book (pyro)
2 X 2 Yetis
2 X 5 Tribesmen
1 X 3 Bruisers
1 X 3 Bombardier's
1 X 25 Scraplings with bows
Rock Auroch
1 X 6 Merc Vets with pistols
Thunder Cannon

We rolled battle line and breakthrough. He dropped early for first turn so I stacked my left flank away from his shooting. He moves the yetis on my right up aggressively looking to get at my bolt throwers on the hill in turn 2. Shooting shuffles around for best shooting potential while the Bruisers zone out my lancers on the right. He doesn't push the left flank at all. Magic decimates my Queens Guard and his shooting takes one of the bolt throwers down to one wound and deletes most the reavers. I push the phoenix, Ryma knights and chariot forward on the left with the SMs also advancing. The lancers on the right hide from the shooting behind a forest since they can't push up. Reavers chaff the Merc Vets so they can't shoot the SMs. Magic knocks off a couple of Merc Vets and puts a wound on the thunder Cannon. The bolt throwers unite to panic the yetis, while the remaining QG and archers take the thunder Cannon down another couple of wounds and cripple the left yetis.

Top of turn two I realise I've made two mistakes. The Bruisers can reach the flank of the right lancers on a 9 and his BSBs unit have an angle on the Ryma knights on a 7. Shit. The wounded left yeti unit charges my SMs and makes it, Bruisers make it but the tribesmen and BSB roll a 4! Got away with that. Oppo makes an error and pours a load of dice into putting flaming swords on the BSB and tribesmen that are about to be charged by Ryma knights. He miscasts, taking a wound, I shrug it off with fireborn. QG goes down to three. His thunder Cannon takes three wounds off the phoenix while his scrappers and Bombardier's remove the middle bolt thrower. Lancers lose to the Bruisers and hang onto table by an inch. SMs destroy yeti before he hits but lose three to impact hits. I charge lion chariot and Ryma Knights into his BSBs unit. SMs attempt to charge the Merc Vets but they flee. I redirect into generals unit but got an 8 needing a nine. Reavers chaff up generals unit to stop the counter charge. Phoenix swoops over the Auroch doing nothing. Shooting and magic take a couple of models off the generals unit, kill the thunder Cannon and put a few wounds on the bombardiers. Ryma knights and chariot sweep through the BSBs unit with the chariot taking three wounds and leaving only his BSB alive who gets run down.

The overrun left the Ryma Knights and the Chariot in the Auroch charge arc so he charges the Knights who flee, bouncing through the chariot and SMs. He redirects into the chariot who holds as with only one wound he likely loses and overruns into the SMs who with the BSBs blazing spear should slice him up. His generals unit charges the chaffing reavers and the Bruisers charge my left most bolt thrower. Merc Vets rally. Magic didn't do much, shooting finished off the bolt thrower and all his fights are won comfortably. Auroch overruns into SMs, Bruisers over run into lancers, generals unit overruns towards my firebase. I have no charges so phoenix sweeps the vets taking them down to 2 models and sitting in their rear and in range of scrappers too. The three remaining QG chaff the generals unit while the archers, lancers and KoR try to set up counter charges. I miscast 4 dicing salvo losing the spell and three archers. Shooting plinks a few wounds off generals unit. BSB single handedly kills the full strength Auroch (three hits doubled to six all wounding on 3's at ST7 AP1). Wow. The price was 5 dead SMs from impact hits. His Bruisers cut down the lancers and my scantily defended right flank is gone.

His turn 4 and it's anyone's game! His generals unit charges the QG (should have stood and shot. Only remembered QTF writing this!) His shaman flees the crippled Merc Vets to strike out on his own. All his magic and shooting is poured into the SMs leaving them with one full rank remaining. I just take the QG off to save time so he reforms to face the SMs. I didn't fancy running a single rank of SMs into four ogres so swift reformed and marched them off to his deployment zone to hunt down the Merc Vets remainder and the shaman. My mage flees the archers as they front up to the generals unit, KoR move so they don't get flanked, lancers start heading for his deployment too. Phoenix sweeps the scrappers killing 8 but they hold. Combined efforts of mage and archers reduce generals unit to two.

His remaining scoring units start to move towards my deployment. His general strikes off by himself and shaman backs away from the SMs. Combined shooting of Bruisers and trappers fail to deny the SMs but his generals ring of fire scores 9 hits causing the archers to flee off the board. Ouch. Glad I got my general out of there! My SMs fail the 9 inch charge into the shaman, rolling an 8 but the phoenix charged the sole surviving Merc vet. Lancers move to cut off shamans escape. Ryma knights try to stay safe from charging ogres but elect to just reform to face the general as nowhere was safe. Skull splitter and magic combined to kill his general on the very last spell. Phoenix finishes off the Merc Vets and then turns to eye up the scrappers.

He moves everything he can into my deployment zone and marched the shaman past the SMs but still in the lancers arc. Bombardier's and scrappers turn to face the phoenix. He puts all four of his magic dice into a 3d6 pyroclastic on the lancers and miscasts but shrugs it off. Amazingly the lancers only lost one wound, not even enough for a panic! Phoenix brushes off the shooting. My lancers charge his shaman hoping for the two wounds he had left. Phoenix sweeps the scrappers for a final time, killing 6 but again they held. Mage shuffles to get into magic range of the two crippled scoring units. Magic and skull splitter flub while the lancers put a wound on the shaman, losing one themselves but the shaman holds on to preserve some points.

After count up I won 14-6 on points but lost the secondary for an 11-9 win. It was a really fun and tense game that went down to the wire. That's the first time I've got the spear of the Blazing Dawn into a monster and I know I rolled out the box but boy that thing hurts! List held up admirably with most units contributing something to the game. Ideally I'd like to drop the SMs back to 17 again and use the Asfad points for sloops but I don't have the models or anything I can proxy with so I'll stick with this as it is. Only question mark is SM v LG in this list. I'm wondering if LG might suit this list better as I'm not using Druidism to help SMs get across the board. I massively prefer them in combat, it's just getting them there. LG are better at staying alive although they lack the blender quality of SMs.
20phoenix

#36 Post by 20phoenix »

No games this week so did a spot of hobby Friday.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#37 Post by SpellArcher »

Loving the standard bearer, such fiery colours!
20phoenix

#38 Post by 20phoenix »

It was actually watching the Lannister army on GoT that sent me down the red and gold route. After painting a chariot and realising how Roman it looked plus my love of pyro/dragons I dubbed the army "The Burning Legion". That gave me the idea for using orange as a complimentary colour on models. He's got a shield which I need to add but haven't painted it yet.

Can't seem to link the chariot picture for some reason.
20phoenix

#39 Post by 20phoenix »

We have a campaign starting next month at the club - 17 people signed up atm. It's a developmental campaign and we start with 1000 points and can only field a general and core units to start. This proved to be remarkably tough! The core of my fluff for the campaign is that an elf is born from fire but must prove himself before being permitted to ride a dragon. He starts the campaign having earned his spurs so is mounted on a horse.

Commander - Horse, DA, Hero's Sword, Lucky Charm, Shield
8 X Lancers - FC
14 X Archers - Musician
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#40 Post by SpellArcher »

Looks sensible enough. I guess you might run into some nasty extreme builds but these should be tempered by the need to constitute a base for future expansion.
20phoenix

#41 Post by 20phoenix »

After I submitted that they added in a min three unit rule so amended the list to:

++ Highborn Elves (BS2.0 Highborn Elves) [992pts] ++

+ Characters +

Lords of the Seas [282pts]
. Commander
. . Commander: Commander Elven Horse mount, Dragonforged Armour, Longbow, Shield, The General
. . . Magic Items: Hero's Sword, Lucky Charm

+ Core +

Citizen Archers [180pts]: 10x Archer

Citizen Spears [260pts]: 20x Spearman

Highborn Lancers [270pts]: Champion, 5x Highborn Lancer

++ Total: [992pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The guy running the campaign has been banging on the narrative campaign drum after someone posted a goblin list with 70 shots and pyro!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#42 Post by SpellArcher »

20phoenix wrote:someone posted a goblin list with 70 shots and pyro!
There's always one!

:lol:
20phoenix

#43 Post by 20phoenix »

Played a few games last week. Two against KOE on Friday, 20-0 and 15-5 wins. The first game was all about his deployment. He stacked one flank and gave himself a massive traffic jam after I shot one of his chaff units down to one model who fled and sat right in front of his entire army. By the time that had cleared he had my SMs in his front, and my KoR, Phoenix, Lancers and Chariot ready to pounce on his flanks. Tabling ensued.

The second game I made a few ropey decisions while rushed as we were trying to finish before closing. The worst of these was me charging my lion chariot and KoR into a combat that had been formed the previous turn by an overrun charge of his peg lord and grail knights into an SGR. Forgot this was first round of combat so his lord had all his toys active and blazed through the KoR. Chariot survived but fled. We got the objective though to pad out the result.

Saturdays game was against SE and I got pretty screwed by deployment as the diagonal I got was pretty poor for me to use. Fear of my archers getting kestrels in the face early on meant I put my mage in the SMs instead. Mistake! Mage miscasts on turn 1 wiping out 9 SMs. Ouch. To make it worse it was a salvo which then failed miserably. Most interesting part of the game was a three turn combat involving initially the SMs and the LC going into his treefather, blasting through him but missing the overrun into his remaining Dryads. Lord on elk and Thicket beasts then ploughed into the SMs rear. A pyrhhic fight ensued with lancers and chariots joining in later rounds. His Druidism swung the fight as our BSBs duelled for three turns, my BSB eventually dying on the last turn. The SE lost the objective after a miscast caused a panic on his archer unit which panicked another archer unit fleeing them out of scoring range. It wasn't enough to clinch it for me though and we lost 12-8.

First loss for that list arrives just as I'm about to make some changes as I'm going to be picking up a couple of sloops this week. I'm going to go back to the Dragon Mage for my friendly games for a bit but with a pretty mobile list and a big anchor. List is:

++ Highborn Elves (BS2.0 Highborn Elves) [4485pts] ++

+ Characters +

Lords of the Seas [576pts]
. Commander
. . Commander Royal Huntsman: Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Lion Chariot mount
. . . Magic Items: HBE - Shard of Cenyrn, Sprout of Rebirth

Mage [1065pts]
. Wizard Master Order of the Fiery Heart: 3x May add up to 3 Learned Spells, May take Dragonforged Armour, The General
. . Magic Items: Hardened Shield, Skull Splitter, Talisman of Supreme Shielding
. . Order of the Fiery Heart Young Dragon mount: Order of the Fiery Heart Young Dragon

+ Core +

Citizen Archers [398pts]: 21x Archer, Musician

Elein Reavers [190pts]
. 5x Elein Reaver: 5x Bow

Highborn Lancers [270pts]: 5x Highborn Lancer, Musician

+ Special +

Flame Wardens [756pts]: 24x Flame Warden
. Champion
. Standard Bearer: Rending Banner

Giant Eagle [100pts]: Giant Eagle

Knights of Ryma [380pts]: Champion, 5x Knight of Ryma, Musician

Sky Sloop with Sea Reaper [240pts]: Sky Sloop with Sky Reaper

++ Total: [4485pts] ++

20phoenix

#44 Post by 20phoenix »

A sneak preview of Pyros, my general in the forthcoming campaign. He's not finished yet, only basecoated and washed atm but a good indication of what he will look like:

The feathers will be phoenix feathers so similar colours to the phoenix:

RE.Lee

#45 Post by RE.Lee »

You might want to re-scale those photos :wink:

Congrats on the wins and I hope the Dragon Mage will do some good!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
20phoenix

#46 Post by 20phoenix »

I'm not sure how to!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#47 Post by Prince of Spires »

20phoenix wrote:I'm not sure how to!
It's usually done by reducing the pixel count of the image. When you do, make sure to keep the length / width ratio intact so you don't end up with distorted images. A width of around 800 pixels should be about right.

In general there are two options to do this:
1. On the site that hosts the images. Most have an option that allows basic edits. Usually called something like "resize". Looks like your images are hosted on imgur. If so, check: https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/article ... ing-Images

2. Do it offline. There are a lot of free image editing programs out there. Find your favourite one and resize the image. Probably requires a PC to do so. But the program doesn't have to be anything special. Anything better then microsoft paint should allow resizing. The, after resizing, upload to the image hosting site.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
20phoenix

#48 Post by 20phoenix »

Thanks. I'll give it a go at some point.

Played my regular KoE opponent last night but decided to try something different as my sloops aren't assembled yet so can't use the OotFH lists above. I haven't used alchemy yet so took a MoCT. List was:

++ Highborn Elves (BS2.0 Highborn Elves) [4495pts] ++

+ Ancient Allies +

Fire Phoenix [380pts]

+ Characters +

Lords of the Seas [746pts]
. High Prince
. . High Prince Royal Huntsman: Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Lion Chariot mount, The General
. . . Magic Items: Bluffer's Helm, HBE - Shard of Cenyrn, Talisman of Supreme Shielding

Lords of the Seas [610pts]
. Commander
. . Commander Master of Canreig Tower: Battle Standard Bearer, Dragonforged Armour, Great Weapon
. . . Learned Magic Spells: Alchemy spell, 3x Druidism spell
. . . Magic Items: Dragon Mantle, Ring of Fire

+ Core +

Citizen Archers [398pts]: 21x Archer, Musician

Elein Reavers [190pts]
. 5x Elein Reaver: 5x Bow

+ Peacekeepers +

Sea Guard Reaper [180pts]

+ Special +

Flame Wardens [631pts]: 19x Flame Warden
. Champion
. Musician
. Standard Bearer: Rending Banner

Sword Masters [640pts]: 21x Sword Master
. Champion
. Musician
. Standard Bearer: Flaming Standard

++ Total: [4495pts] ++

He had:

Peg lord with Dragon Lance
60 X Peasant with Castellan and Reliquary
59 X Peasant with Castellan
8 X Grail
8 X Grail
5 X Yeoman
5 X Yeoman
8 X Hedge Knight
5 X some other knight

We rolled frontline and capture the flags. He chose my archers and lancers, I chose his peasant blocks and the unit of 6 knights. Spells were Lash, Word of Iron, the mundane weapon one and the 2d6 ST2 hit one.

Had a building in my deployment zone so set up between that and a hill to funnel attacks into my infantry blocks. The lord would patrol behind the lines to shut down any flanking attempts. Once he dropped his two peasant blocks I dropped what I had to go first. He stacked his cavalry to go past the left side of the building.

I retreat my lancers on the left side of the building to draw the cavalry forward while LC moves to help. Reavers march to his right flank to force march tests. Or at least they should have. 3 failed DTs from a wall panicked the unit and sent them back! Phoenix sits on the hill and faces down the peasant blocks. Magic was a dud. Right SGR takes three yeoman names and panics the unit. Other shooting focuses on whittling the levy blocks, killing 9.

He moves hedge knights and 6 block up aggressively on left side of building. Central yeomans move into the middle, peasants march into centre, grail knights position to counter charge anything stupid enough to go after yeomans. Peg lord hides from SGRs. Right yeomans continue to flee. Yeomans kill a couple of SMs

Left lancers move to bait a charge from the two knights units pressing the left. Prince covers angles to counter charge any combat or overruns. Centre holds steady, phoenix swoops over one of the peasant units killing a few. Reavers rally. Magic was 6+4 then I rolled all the 1's and 2's to fail to get a spell off. SGRs and archers continue whittling peasants.

Unit of 6 knights charge the lancers who hold, hedge knights loiter behind them. Grail knights start to position for charges on the infantry blocks as the peasant blocks mount the hill on the right of the wardens.. Peg lord flies to try and threaten the phoenix. Central yeomans sit in front of my two blocks and kill a couple more SMs, right yeomans continue to flee off the table. In combat the knights kill two lancers, losing one but lancers hold on a 6.

Prince charges the knight combat, wardens charge the yeomans. Reavers chaff the far left peasant block. Phoenix attempts to fly over the peasants again but fails march test so settles for swooping the lord to no effect. Magic continues to fail hard. Right SGR single shots the lord putting on two wounds! Left SGR and archers continue to weaken the levy blocks. Prince and lancers kill three knights, two lancers dying (plagued by 1s!) but it's enough to break them. Prince overruns into hedge knights. Lancer restrains. Wardens blow through yeomans and angle themselves to take charges in the front next turn.

It's at this point I realise I've made an error. By charging the yeomans I've opened up my frontage and now he can get the grail knights and a peasant block into my front. If I hadn't charged the yeomans only one would fit. Peasants and grails duly charge. Right peasants charge the chaffing reavers. The fleeing knights rally and his lord goes to hide again. One grail unit hangs back to try and deal with the LC should the combat be lost. The LC Prince flubs, only killing one hedge knight and taking two wounds in return, losing combat by one but sticking. The grail knights impact hits kill a couple of wardens then lose two to return attacks. Between the peasants and the knights the wardens take enough damage to test on rerollable 4 and make it! Forgetting grails had divine attacks was nearly my undoing. The right peasants brushed off the challenge of the reavers and were forced to overrun or get stuck out of position and unable to get involved.

SMs attempt to charge uninvolved grails but roll a 3. Right lancers flank charge the warden/grail/peasant fight with the phoenix going in the rear. Archers reform to shoot at right peasants. Magic finally does something as I get +2 armour up on wardens and make the rear grails flammable. SGRs and archers take a rank off the peasants. LC Prince does better versus the hedge knights, breaking them and running them down. HbE win the multi fight breaking the grails but peasants hold steadfast.

I'll summarise from here as last two turns are repetitive. His one wound lord, two knight from the unit of 6 stalk my 2 wound lord. Although the two knight unit is a flag unit I don't want to get charged by his lord so we stand off. Wardens/phoenix/lancers take the remains turns to wipe out peasants. Reliquary and Castellan survive. Wounded grails rejoined that fight but held when combat was lost. His left peasant unit charged archers beat them and ran them down. That was enough for him to tie the objective but I won 12-8 having only lost reavers, archers and 50% of lancers.

Interesting game. I think tactically I had the right idea just let down by execution. Complete absence of a magic phase for the entire game really didn't help!

Dragon will be out to play on Friday and campaign starts with a big good v evil fight on Sunday.

Stay tuned!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#49 Post by SpellArcher »

20phoenix wrote:A sneak preview of Pyros, my general in the forthcoming campaign.
Coming along nicely.
20phoenix

#50 Post by 20phoenix »

The campaign opener was a 5-a-side good v evil encounter with our 1000 point lists. My spears and archers sat in the middle of the field with the lancer minibus sitting out on the left with a load of KoE for company.

The archers spent most the game in a shooting match with some horrors while my spears failed their one big moment. I had a special campaign card which allowed me to give a champion D3 wounds in a challenge with no saves allowed so attempted to charge a crusher lord needing a 6 and rolling a 5. They got counter charged and murdered by a load of zombies and the crusher the following turn. They didn't get to use the card either as my lord needed it on the flank.

After winning against some chaffing dogs Pyros and his household guard rolled poorly chasing down the remainder leaving them a sitting duck for a unit of ten slaughters and twenty barbarians. I fled from the first charge but other fights went badly on this flank and the lancers rallied only to find themselves boxed in by the slaughterers, a second unit of slaughterers and a unit of ten fallen with a lord. Pretty grim but as my allies were dying I was provided with a stream of campaign cards to enable me to hold against the two charges. The second unit of slaughterers didn't make it to combat as a surrounded KoE damsel and accompanying knights threw out a 5 dice unerring strike into the unit and wiping them out before they were overwhelmed.

I played the challenge champion card to kill the slaughterer champion with max overkill and played a second card to give the unit frenzy and hatred. This was enough to win the combat by two, pop the slaughterer unit but the fallen held. My lancers were wiped out though I with just the lord standing. Another campaign card on their turn produced a lightning strike (affects every unit on the board, on a 1 or 2 take D6 hits with metal shifting). This wiped the fallen out to just the lord and champion. I had some cards to make campaign money from killing a character in a challenge so I challenged his lord but lost when he produced an immunity to damage for a turn campaign card. I then broke on an 8+! I rallied the following turn, survived 20 throwing axes from the barbarians without taking off my last wound, charged the lord again knowing I couldn't lose as I drew an immunity to damage card but he produced a second denying me the kill. I also had a -2 LD card but he stuck on a 5. Waaah.

The campaign cards were crazy but it was a fun game. Evil trounced good quite comprehensively so lost a campaign tile. Waiting for the other eight players to get their big game in on Tuesday then I'll need to decide who to challenge first turn.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#51 Post by Prince of Spires »

That sounds like a pretty epic game with stuff happening all over the board. Some big fails and epic stands. And with 5 players a side is even better. How is the campaign going?

Rod

Check out my plog

20phoenix

#52 Post by 20phoenix »

Only intro fights have happened so far, the big one described above and a smaller 3 v 3 which happened last night. I stood in for a player that couldn't make it and history repeats itself. Found myself on a flank facing off v 10 flintlock Chorfs and a lord, 20 orc slaves and some bow hobs. The flintlocks picked up cards that could shoot twice a turn in turns 2 and 3 which shredded my spears who fled off the board and halved my lancers forcing me to charge them to stop them shooting or risk getting shot off. Another lancer died to the chorf lords breath weapon so only my lord and the champion. His lord went into a challenge with my lord and I played the D3 wounds no save card hoping to blow through his lord. I did 1 wound! That combat lasted for a few rounds but crucially killed the lord and broke the unit (needed a -2 leadership card to do it). The champ had died by this point so my lord chased them down. Panic tests then broke the orcs and hobs. The hobs never recovered but the orcs rallied in time to get charged by a unit of two skelly chariots who broke them again.

Lost again but it was closer this time - a pivotal fight on the opposite flank went sour when an auto pass on a break test card was played which without could have broken a big unit of plague monks.

Any unit surviving battle with 50% or more models can get an experience upgrade and a surviving lord can get the same (they lose it if the unit gets wiped out in combat). All my units were wiped out on Sunday but the lord survived and gets Fury - extra attacks everyone an attack wounds so he's got some pretty nice damage output.

I'll be able to buy 250 points more of army in the empire phase and add a unit of special if I wish. I'm thinking of either adding a sloop or extending the lancer minibus into a full bus - 8 lancers, FC and war standard. Preference is for the latter since at this stage my best chance of winning is getting my lord onto combat
20phoenix

#53 Post by 20phoenix »

EDIT: Experience doesn't kick in until challenge rounds start so no furious lord. Bah humbug
20phoenix

#54 Post by 20phoenix »

Challenges for the next phase of the campaign have been issued and I am fighting a slightly larger WotDG army.

His list is:

Malik (sorcerer) 235pts
3 spells (Alchemy) 100pts
sword of strength 30pts

Barbarian's (30 models) 240pts
shields 60pts
Standard B, musician, champion 60pts

Barbarian's (20 models) 140pts
great weapons 120pts
Standard B, musician, champion 60pts

Warhounds (10 models) 150pts

Mauler chariot 300pts

I have:

++ Highborn Elves (BS2.0 Highborn Elves) [1247pts] ++

+ Characters +

Lords of the Seas [278pts]
. Commander
. . Commander: Commander Elven Horse mount, Dragonforged Armour, Shield, The General
. . . Magic Items: Hero's Sword, Lucky Charm

+ Core +

Citizen Archers [180pts]: 10x Archer

Citizen Spears [260pts]: 20x Spearman

Highborn Lancers [529pts]: 9x Highborn Lancer
. Champion
. Musician
. Standard Bearer
. . Veteran Standard: Banner of Discipline

++ Total: [1247pts] ++

The key for me is going to be getting combo charges off. If I can get his units piecemeal I should be ok. Priority #1 is getting rid of that chariot as it has the ability to really ruin my day. The other consideration is I can't hang around with the lancers as alchemy can take them apart.

Going to be tough!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#55 Post by SpellArcher »

I think you’ve summed this up pretty well 20phoenix.

Good luck!
20phoenix

#56 Post by 20phoenix »

Played game earlier.

We rolled battle line and breakthrough and I won roll for sides and chose the side I was on which had a forest on the left, a hill in the centre and a building on the right. He rolled Corruption of Tin, Molten Copper and Glory of Gold for spells. Could have been worse.

I set up with the spears peeking over the top of the hill ready to drop down out of view if needed to remove LOS from charges, lancers on their left and archers on top of the hill on the right. He had the mauler chariot on his right, the two big blocks with dogs in front of the twenty and surprisingly, his sorceror on top of the hill not in a unit. I had +2 to roll and elected to go second.

He pushed everything forward but was in range for only corruption of tin which he tried on lancers but I rolled all my dice to stop it. He then three diced glory of gold on the dogs but miscast, losing the spell and taking two wounds! My turn I didn't move anything, waiting for him to close up. I was going to shoot the dogs but a one wound sorceror was an opportunity I couldn't pass up and managed to push through three wounds. He failed to make the needed saves and his general was gone in turn 1!

Second turn he comes forward again and in response I bring the spears over the hill to give his dogs a charge if they want it, lancers shuffled forward slightly and archers plink off a dog.

Turn 3 and he halts his advance with the large barbarian block back pedalling a little. The chariot continues moving up his right flank. Ive been left with two short charges into the dogs with spears and lancers needing 6 on dice for both so I charge, he holds, I make both. Archers take off a couple from the large barbs. In combat the spears and lancers blow through the dogs. At this point I realise I've made a slight error - the overrun into his small barbs is an 8. Lancers should make it but spears is chancy and if they failed I take the big block in the flank. I elect to overrun with just the lancers and reform the spears to face the big barbs. Lancers make their overrun.

Mauler moves into a forest and is beginning to close on the archers. The big barbs charge my spears and hold. In combat it's a disaster for the warriors. The spears hit with 19/20 attacks causing 7 unsaved wounds while his thunderous charging barbs kill a single spear. This is enough to break their steadfast and the spears run them down. The lancers and lord also win their combat handily break the other warriors who fail their steadfast 8 but escape by an inch. A short-lived triumph as they're chased off the board the following turn. The remaining two turns is just his mauler trying to hide from the spears.

A slightly unexpected but emphatic victory at the cost of only three elves! I didn't realise how new the guy was until the wizard placement and the miscast (he didn't need to cast that spell - I couldn't charge the dogs!)

With all three units surviving I rolled on the experience table for my units and now the archers can refill one failed panic or break test per game and both the spears and lancers gain parry. Handy.

I'll have another 500 points of army next phase so I'm going to add 6 KoR with musician and aether icon standard. I've removed the discipline banner from the lancers and given the spears a musician while swapping Pyros' vanilla shield for a lucky shield. I figure the icon will be necessary until I can get a fortress so I can add a MoCT.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#57 Post by SpellArcher »

Well played sir!

:)

Looks like you made the right moves and cashed in when opportunities presented themselves.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#58 Post by Prince of Spires »

Congrats on the win. You really capitalized on the opportunities you saw. And some good thinking with the spear overrun. In the heat of battle people easily forget that things don't always go your way and that you should hope for the best but plan for the worst.

The miscast of your opponent was unlucky, even more so because it was unnecessary. But we've all been there, where your archmage general decided to visit the warp with the first spell he casts in the battle using two dice. It sometimes happens. And the smaller the game you play, the harder it is to recover.

Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Check out my plog

20phoenix

#59 Post by 20phoenix »

Sloops have been assembled. Gotta say I hate assembling painted miniatures. Have a load of touch up work to do plus some highlighting but in truth it'll get done some other time as I need to get other things tabletop ready. WIP shot:

I nearly ended up going to the Bristol GT Heat 2 as a spare last weekend but wasn't needed. Playing the list I'd have taken against our WoDG player who did go tonight.

This is what I'm fielding:

++ Highborn Elves (BS2.0 Highborn Elves) [4494pts] ++

+ Characters +

Lords of the Seas [1140pts]
. High Prince
. . High Prince: Light Armour, The General
. . . High Prince Dragon mount
. . . . High Prince Dragon mount: Ancient Dragon
. . . Magic Items: Charm of Cursed Iron, Giant Sword, Lucky Charm, Lucky Shield

Lords of the Seas [571pts]
. Commander
. . Commander Master of Canreig Tower: Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon, Light Armour
. . . Learned Magic Spells: 4x Alchemy spell
. . . Magic Items: Bronze Breastplate, Talisman of Greater Shielding

+ Core +

Citizen Spears [563pts]: 31x Spearman
. Champion
. Musician
. Standard Bearer
. . Veteran Standard: Flaming Standard

Highborn Lancers [290pts]: Champion, 5x Highborn Lancer, Musician

Highborn Lancers [290pts]: Champion, 5x Highborn Lancer, Musician

+ Peacekeepers +

+ Special +

Giant Eagle [100pts]: Giant Eagle

Sword Masters [880pts]: 30x Sword Master
. Champion
. Musician
. Standard Bearer: Stalker's Standard

++ Total: [4494pts] ++

20phoenix

#60 Post by 20phoenix »

Not sure what conclusions I can draw from that game besides needing more playtime with that list!

Won 16-4 but it was really swingy. Big units did well - swordmasters killing two units of ten chosen, one unit of ten barbs and one of his cowboys, spears with BSB killing a unit of 5 fallen, another two cowboys and two units of 10 chosen.

However it wasn't a cohesive performance and I mostly danced to his tune and got lucky. Especially with the cowboys. I targeted them with missiles and bolt thrower shots early which nicked a couple of wounds before combat. One of his cowboys broke the dragon but he escaped which allowed the swordmasters to flank the cowboy. T5 bluffer's and 4++ probably should have saved him but they killed him off.

BSB tanked the second cowboy with bronze breastplate up and beat him with combat res, running him down. They then got bogged down fighting a chosen unit which allowed cowboy #3 to flank them but the BSB killed him off in a challenge. That was probably luckiest of the 3.

I didn't use the dragon well at all, that area needs more work. List felt good but shootier armies are the challenge for it.