Tips for a new player?

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Roikka

Tips for a new player?

#1 Post by Roikka »

Hi!

I'm getting into miniature wargaming after passively taking the occasional glance to warhammer for years (mostly for fluff and licence products like Dawn of War or Battlefleet Gothic: Armada) and 9th age seemed like the most interesting choice, and the Highborn elves the most interesting army within it.

I'm having a friendly match with my friend day in a couple of days (vs Warriors of the Dark Gods for 5k points) and trying to create a list, I find myself a bit stumped:

Basically, the warriors still seem to be the close-quarters deathmachine that was the Warriors of Chaos in Warhammer Fantasy, so I was thinking on investing in shootines and magic. After Some lurking here, I decided that I'll have a roadblock/anvil covering the archers (either citizen spears or sea guard, and reinforce with a frost phoenix for combat debuffs) a mobile hammer/hammerbreaker (probably Knights of Ryma) and the main damage will come from mages using Quicksilver Whips (metalshifting, plus the attribute spell lets to give an enemy unit within reach flammable right?) and archers with flaming attacks.

I planned to take:

A full unit of Queens Guard, with champion (the champion gets +1 attack, but not Multiple Shots (2) and can't take magical weapons right?) and possibly a musician. I intend to also include in it my general (High Prince(ss) with Queen's companion, Rending banner for ap1 and moonlight arrows.) and my main mage (Mage, 4 spells, Master Wizard, Asfad Scholar, Book of Meladys, Gleaing robe).

A unit of Sword Masters with a commander with Master of Cainreigh Tower for using the Quicksilver Whips spell.

An anvil of 30 Citizen Spears

A Unit of Flame Wardens to solidify the battle line

A Frost Phoenix to support the above

A hammer of Knights of Ryma. I consider beefing them up with a High Prince on a dragon and warbanner of Ryma for that extra punch

Regarding the queen's companion, I really can't think of good magic items to give her. I' try to keep the opponent's magic phase down with my own mages, and the guard is screwed anyway if the enemy can close into melee so melee items only become useful if everythng is blown to hell, and since the enemy has next to no shooting, safeguards against that don't seem really necessary either.

Either another unit of Queens guard (possibly with another companion as a commander) or Sea guard. Also possibly another mage.

This is what I had in mind. I try to get the list here tomorrow.
Roikka

Re: Tips for a new player?

#2 Post by Roikka »

Well, here is what I ended up with. Apologies for the mess, Battlescribe does a bit disorganized lists.

+ HBE of Ryma Core (760pts) +

········Citizen Spears (500pts) [Champion (20pts), Musician (20pts), 30x Spearman (540pts), Standard Bearer (20pts)]
········Fight in Extra Rank, Lightning Reflexes, Martial Discipline, Musician, Ordering the Charge, Scoring
········Profiles:
················Light Armour: Saving Throw modifier:+1|Special Rules:A model part can only wear a single Suit of Armour.|Type:Armour
················Shield: Saving Throw modifier:+1|Special Rules:A model part can only carry one Shield. In Close Combat, a Shield cannot be used alongside a weapon with the Requires Two Hands special rule.|Type:Armour
················Champion: M:5|WS:4|BS:4|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:2|LD:8|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:
················Spearman: M:5|WS:4|BS:4|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:1|LD:8|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:
················Spear: Range:Close Combat|Strength:As user|Special Rules:Fight in Extra Rank. Armour Piercing (1). Spears confer the Lethal Strike special rule against Cavalry, Monstrous Cavalry and Chariots Engaged to the front. Mounted models cannot use Spears.|Type:Close Combat Weapon

········Citizen Spears (260pts) [20x Spearman (360pts)]
········Fight in Extra Rank, Lightning Reflexes, Martial Discipline, Scoring
········Profiles:
················Light Armour: Saving Throw modifier:+1|Special Rules:A model part can only wear a single Suit of Armour.|Type:Armour
················Shield: Saving Throw modifier:+1|Special Rules:A model part can only carry one Shield. In Close Combat, a Shield cannot be used alongside a weapon with the Requires Two Hands special rule.|Type:Armour
················Spearman: M:5|WS:4|BS:4|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:1|LD:8|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:
················Spear: Range:Close Combat|Strength:As user|Special Rules:Fight in Extra Rank. Armour Piercing (1). Spears confer the Lethal Strike special rule against Cavalry, Monstrous Cavalry and Chariots Engaged to the front. Mounted models cannot use Spears.|Type:Close Combat Weapon

+ HBE of Ryma Characters (1442pts) +

········Lords of the Seas (306pts)
············High Prince (156pts)
················High Prince Queen's Companion (56pts) [Light Armour, Longbow (6pts), Moonlight Arrows (10pts)]
················Lightning Reflexes, Martial Discipline, Multiple Shots (3), Queen's Companion, Quick to Fire
········Profiles:
················Moonlight Arrows: Magic Property:When fired from a mundane Bow or Longbow, Moonlight Arrows gain Strength 4, Magical Attacks and Flaming Attacks.
················Prince: M:5|WS:7|BS:7|S:4|T:3|W:3|I:8|A:4|LD:10|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:
················Longbow: Range:30"|Strength:3|Special Rules:Volley Fire|Type:Shooting Weapon

········Lords of the Seas (536pts)
············High Prince (386pts)
················High Prince of Ryma (286pts) [Heavy Armour (16pts), Shield (10pts), The General]
················Devastating Charge, Inspiring Presence, Lightning Reflexes, Martial Discipline, Prince of Ryma, The General
····················Magic Items (180pts) [Dragon Mantle (50pts), Giant Sword (120pts), Talisman of Shielding (10pts)]
····················Ward Save (6+)
········Profiles:
················Dragon Mantle: Saving Throw modifier:+2|Special Rules:Models on foot only. The wearer gains Innate Defence (5+). |Type:None
················Heavy Armour: Saving Throw modifier:+2|Special Rules:A model part can only wear a single Suit of Armour.|Type:Armour
················Prince: M:5|WS:7|BS:7|S:4|T:3|W:3|I:8|A:4|LD:10|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:
················Talisman of Shielding: Protection:The bearer gains a Ward Save (6+).
················Giant Sword: Range:Close Combat|Strength:+3|Special Rules:Attacks made with this weapon gain +3 Strength.|Type:Magical Hand Weapon

········Mage (600pts)
············Wizard Master Asfad Scholar (400pts) [Cosmology, 3x May add up to 3 Learned Spells (150pts)]
············Asfad Scholar, Lightning Reflexes, Martial Discipline, Master of Balance, Wizard, Wizard Master
················Magic Items (100pts) [Book of Arcane Power (100pts)]
········Profiles:
················Book of Arcane Power: Magic Property:The bearer gains a +1 casting modifier to casting and dispel rolls.
················Mage: M:5|WS:4|BS:4|S:3|T:3|W:3|I:5|A:1|LD:9|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:

+ HBE of Ryma Special (548pts) +

········Knights of Ryma (548pts) [Champion (20pts), 7x Knight of Ryma (378pts)]
········Devastating Charge, Lightning Reflexes (Rider only), Martial Discipline, Mount's Protection (5+), Ordering the Charge, Scoring
············Standard Bearer (80pts) [HBE - War Banner of Ryma (60pts)]
········Profiles:
················Dragonforged Armour: Saving Throw modifier:5+|Special Rules:Heavy Armour. The wearer gains Fireborn and Ward Save (6+)|Type:Heavy Armour
················HBE - War Banner of Ryma: Magical Emanation:The bearer’s unit gains Thunderous Charge. Mounts are not affected.
················Champion: M:5|WS:5|BS:4|S:4|T:3|W:1|I:6|A:3|LD:9|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Cavalry|Base Size:|Evoked:
················Elven Horse: M:9|WS:3|BS:-|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:4|A:1|LD:3|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Cavalry|Base Size:25x50mm|Evoked:
················Knight: M:5|WS:5|BS:4|S:4|T:3|W:1|I:6|A:1|LD:9|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Cavalry|Base Size:25x50|Evoked:
················Lance: Range:Close Combat|Strength:+2|Special Rules:Grants +2 Strength in the Round of Combat directly after the Model has charged into combat. This bonus can only be used for attacks directed against the charged enemies. Only mounted models, War Beasts and Monstrous Beasts can use a Lance.|Type:Mundane Combat Weapon

+ HBE of Ryma The Ancient Allies (400pts) +

········Frost Phoenix (400pts)
········Chill Aura, Fly (8), Innate Defence (5+), Magical Attacks, Ward Save (5+)
········Profiles:
················Frost Phoenix: M:2|WS:5|BS:0|S:5|T:5|W:5|I:3|A:5|LD:8|ArmourSave:5+|WardSave:5+|MR:|Type:Monster|Base Size:50x100mm|Evoked:

+ HBE of Ryma Core + Elder Service (760pts) +

········Citizen Archers (380pts) [20x Archer (360pts), Champion (20pts)]
········Lightning Reflexes, Martial Discipline, Ordering the Charge, Scoring
········Profiles:
················Archer: M:5|WS:4|BS:4|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:1|LD:8|ArmourSave:6+|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:
················Champion: M:5|WS:4|BS:4|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:2|LD:8|ArmourSave:6+|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:
················Longbow: Range:30"|Strength:3|Special Rules:Volley Fire|Type:Shooting Weapon

········Citizen Archers (380pts) [20x Archer (360pts), Champion (20pts)]
········Profiles:
················Archer: M:5|WS:4|BS:4|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:1|LD:8|ArmourSave:6+|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:
················Champion: M:5|WS:4|BS:4|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:2|LD:8|ArmourSave:6+|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:

+ HBE of Ryma Big Mounts (700pts) +

········High Prince Dragon mount (700pts) [Ancient Dragon (200pts)]
········Breath Weapon (Strength 4 Flaming Attacks), Fly (7), Innate Defence (3+)
········Profiles:
················Ancient Dragon: M:6|WS:6|BS:1|S:7|T:7|W:7|I:3|A:6|LD:9|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Monster|Base Size:100x150mm|Evoked:

+ HBE of Ryma Elder Service (390pts) +

········Queen's Guard (390pts) [Champion (20pts), 10x Queen's Guard (280pts)]
············Standard Bearer (90pts) [Rending Banner (70pts)]
········Profiles:
················Moonlight Arrows: Magic Property:When fired from a mundane Bow or Longbow, Moonlight Arrows gain Strength 4, Magical Attacks and Flaming Attacks.
················Rending Banner: Magical Emanation:All non-character models in the bearer’s unit gain Armour Piercing (1).
················Champion: M:5|WS:5|BS:5|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:2|LD:8|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:|Evoked:
················Queen's Guard: M:5|WS:5|BS:5|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:1|LD:8|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:
Doctor

#3 Post by Doctor »

So the High Prince of Ryma rides a dragon? I think that according to the rules his armour and ward saves don't work.
Roikka

#4 Post by Roikka »

Yeah, I realized mid deployment that I had wasted those points. Oh well.

So, we fought for two turns (it took us some time to set up, interpret rules and so on because we are both new to this, and he apparently didn't have quite as much time on his hands as I thought he would) and while the battle only really begun (and we plan to try again in a couple of weeks) we had to quit after the second turn. I'm writing the report here at a more convenient time.
Chracian

#5 Post by Chracian »

Good luck with this, sorry I'm not aware to give any advice, but I'm sure somebody on here will be able to help.

In the meantime, have you any painted models you'd care to post pictures of?
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think you started in the right way. First get a few games in, make some mistakes, try a few things and see how it goes. From there, start seeing what works and what doesn't and start improving. Part of it is that some of the strong choices make a lot of sense to a good player but not so much to a beginner. Part of it is that it's not fun to start learning the game against a highly optimised list. And it helps get to know strong and weak choices if you've used them on a battlefield. Of course it does help if you know up front that some choices don't make sense since you don't get to use them in game (like the armour on the prince).

Playing games and setting up does go faster after a while. You start learning the rules, start knowing the default numbers you need to roll for certain things and how your list works. Still, a game can easily take 3 hours to fight. (For me at least, though I'm a slow player...).

I must say I'm a bit lost in your army list. Could just be the battlescribe format of course. But it looks like you have core in there twice. Once a set of spearmen, and once a set of archers. But that could just be me.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Roikka

#7 Post by Roikka »

Prince of Spires wrote:I must say I'm a bit lost in your army list. Could just be the battlescribe format of course. But it looks like you have core in there twice. Once a set of spearmen, and once a set of archers. But that could just be me.
Yeah, that's the Battlescribe. Since archers are both Core and Elder Service, it's in the separate section.

So yeah, next battle on monday. I was thinking of replacing the Dragon with Elven Horse (would get some use for that armor) and use the excess points to get another unit of Queen's guard and some more knights. In the meanwhile, I optimized the list some more.

++ Highborn Elves of Ryma (BS2.0 Highborn Elves of Ryma v22) (5000pts) ++

+ HBE of Ryma Core (1260pts) +

········Citizen Spears (320pts) [Champion (20pts), Musician (20pts), 20x Spearman (360pts), Standard Bearer (20pts)]
········Fight in Extra Rank, Lightning Reflexes, Martial Discipline, Musician, Ordering the Charge, Scoring
········Profiles:
················Champion: M:5|WS:4|BS:4|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:2|LD:8|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:

········Citizen Archers (470pts) [25x Archer (450pts), Champion (20pts)]
········Profiles:

········Citizen Archers (470pts) [25x Archer (450pts), Champion (20pts)]
········Profiles:

+ HBE of Ryma Characters (2046pts) +

········Lords of the Seas (306pts)
············High Prince (156pts)
················High Prince Queen's Companion (56pts) [Light Armour, Longbow (6pts), Moonlight Arrows (10pts)]
················Lightning Reflexes, Martial Discipline, Multiple Shots (3), Queen's Companion, Quick to Fire
········Profiles:

········Lords of the Seas (1150pts)
············High Prince (300pts)
················High Prince of Ryma (200pts) [Light Armour, The General]
················Devastating Charge, Inspiring Presence, Lightning Reflexes, Martial Discipline, Prince of Ryma, The General
····················Magic Items (120pts) [Giant Sword (120pts)]
········Profiles:
················Giant Sword: Range:Close Combat|Strength:+3|Special Rules:Attacks made with this weapon gain +3 Strength.|Type:Magical Hand Weapon

········High Prince Dragon mount (700pts) [Ancient Dragon (200pts)]
········Breath Weapon (Strength 4 Flaming Attacks), Fly (7), Innate Defence (3+)
········Profiles:
················Ancient Dragon: M:6|WS:6|BS:1|S:7|T:7|W:7|I:3|A:6|LD:9|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Monster|Base Size:100x150mm|Evoked:

········Mage (590pts)
············Wizard Master Asfad Scholar (390pts) [Cosmology, 3x May add up to 3 Learned Spells (150pts)]
············Asfad Scholar, Lightning Reflexes, Martial Discipline, Master of Balance, Wizard, Wizard Master
················Magic Items (90pts) [HBE - Book of Meladys (90pts)]
········Profiles:
················HBE - Book of Meladys: Magic Property:Once per Magic Phase, the bearer may reroll a single Magic Dice when making a casting roll provided the Magic Dice was not a natural '6'.
················Mage: M:5|WS:4|BS:4|S:3|T:3|W:3|I:5|A:1|LD:9|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:

+ HBE of Ryma Special (764pts) +

········Knights of Ryma (764pts) [Champion (20pts), 11x Knight of Ryma (594pts)]
········Devastating Charge, Lightning Reflexes (Rider only), Martial Discipline, Mount's Protection (5+), Ordering the Charge, Scoring
············Standard Bearer (80pts) [HBE - War Banner of Ryma (60pts)]
········Profiles:
················Dragonforged Armour: Saving Throw modifier:5+|Special Rules:Heavy Armour. The wearer gains Fireborn and Ward Save (6+)|Type:Heavy Armour
················HBE - War Banner of Ryma: Magical Emanation:The bearer’s unit gains Thunderous Charge. Mounts are not affected.
················Champion: M:5|WS:5|BS:4|S:4|T:3|W:1|I:6|A:3|LD:9|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Cavalry|Base Size:|Evoked:
················Elven Horse: M:9|WS:3|BS:-|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:4|A:1|LD:3|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Cavalry|Base Size:25x50mm|Evoked:
················Knight: M:5|WS:5|BS:4|S:4|T:3|W:1|I:6|A:1|LD:9|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Cavalry|Base Size:25x50|Evoked:
················Lance: Range:Close Combat|Strength:+2|Special Rules:Grants +2 Strength in the Round of Combat directly after the Model has charged into combat. This bonus can only be used for attacks directed against the charged enemies. Only mounted models, War Beasts and Monstrous Beasts can use a Lance.|Type:Mundane Combat Weapon

+ HBE of Ryma The Ancient Allies (400pts) +

········Frost Phoenix (400pts)
········Chill Aura, Fly (8), Innate Defence (5+), Magical Attacks, Ward Save (5+)
········Profiles:
················Frost Phoenix: M:2|WS:5|BS:0|S:5|T:5|W:5|I:3|A:5|LD:8|ArmourSave:5+|WardSave:5+|MR:|Type:Monster|Base Size:50x100mm|Evoked:

+ HBE of Ryma Elder Service (530pts) +

········Queen's Guard (530pts) [Champion (20pts), 15x Queen's Guard (420pts)]
············Standard Bearer (90pts) [Rending Banner (70pts)]
········Profiles:
················Rending Banner: Magical Emanation:All non-character models in the bearer’s unit gain Armour Piercing (1).
················Champion: M:5|WS:5|BS:5|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:2|LD:8|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:|Evoked:
················Queen's Guard: M:5|WS:5|BS:5|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:5|A:1|LD:8|ArmourSave:|WardSave:|MR:|Type:Infantry|Base Size:20x20mm|Evoked:

EDIT: Basically I got rid of the smaller unit of spearmen, and the armor on prince, and got some more knights and archers.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Roikka!

:)

So you've got some serious hitting power in the Dragon, Phoenix and Knights, backed up by a lot of archery. Looks pretty good to me. I think the Spears might be a bit small, 10 more say would let them cope with losses better. Clearly you have enough shots to deal with light-medium targets. I worry slightly that the lack of artillery makes tough, mobile enemy more of an issue. But then you have fast heavy hitters yourself.