HBE 5000 pts tourney list

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Myth

HBE 5000 pts tourney list

#1 Post by Myth »

Hi guys,
next weekend is a tournament in my city, so I'll give it a try with following:

Prince, Armor of Destiny, Ogre Sword, Lucky Charm, Shield, 440 (goes with KoR)
Commander, BSB, Beast-Bane Halberd, Lucky Shield, Fire Phoenix, 670
Commander, Queen's Companion, Great Bow of Elu, Heavy armor, Shield, Great Weapon, 290 (goes with CA)
Mage Aprentice, Cosmology, 2 spells, Elven Horse, 340 (goes with HL)

Core
5 Highborn Lancers, Musician, 270
15 Archers, Musician, 290
5 Elein Reavers, Musician, Bow, 210

Special
6 Knights of Ryma, FCG, War Banner of Ryma, 524
21 Flame Wardens, FCG, 640

Peacekeepers
Sea Guard Reaper, 180
Sea Guard Reaper, 180
Sea Guard Reaper, 180
10 Queen’s Guard, 280

I played with similar list in the last 2 months (with white Archmage and foot BSB) with much of success, but that was prior the recent changes.
I thinned down a magic now and increase combat capability of the army with character choices.
Fire phoenix BSB is for fun as I've never played it and I should complete model painting in next few days, so he will be ready.

Idea for this list is to deploy shooting units on 30'' from the enemy lines and try to weakened it in first 2-3 turns, while Prince+KoR and FP BSB try to outmaneuver enemy units and pick combat. Flame Wardens are to try hold up the center and protect shooters or to join KoW and BSB in combat and try to negate steadfast.

Cosmology mage will try to boost BS with Altered Sight.

What I'm still not sure about is to exclude archers for another lancers and exchange Commander with the BoE with another 10 Queens Guard unit.

Any thoughts?

Thx and regards,
Myth
RE.Lee

Re: HBE 5000 pts tourney list

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

I'm taking my time to read some 9th Age rules so I'll try and comment ;)

I understand that the Knights of Ryma are your main hammer - they seem to get approx. a gazzilion attack on the charge and at S7 to boot. Thats a good strategy but they are an obvious target for any shooting/magic the enemy might have. Will you be using the lighter cavalry units to shield them (thats an option with simple line of sight now, right?)? Will you be countering shooting with your own firepower? Or are you just taking your chances?

The Wardens seem as tough as ever, so no problems here - opponents will have a hard time deciding who to shoot.

Where does the Queens Companion go? Whats CA?
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

I would keep the archers in. You've got a highly mobile list that hits like a sledgehammer. You don't want to get one or two of your knights stuck behind a simple redirector. Shooting really helps there. So I think the archers will help clear the field a bit. It will also free up the reapers and QG to shoot at higher priority and tougher targets.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ktoos

#4 Post by Ktoos »

Hi everyone
RE.Lee wrote: Where does the Queens Companion go? Whats CA?
I guess that CA is Citizen Archer.

My bigger question is why mix Queen companion and great bow of Elu? is to give Quick to fire to your Archer unit? I think that your archer will be aiming more to closer thinks... like redirector... so you will not have to move a lot with them...

My other question is why give shield, heavy armour and great weapon to you queen companion commander if you they charge your citizen archer you are already dead or for sure will run...

I think that you can add other body to the Knight of Ryma in exchange of all that (Including the Honour).

Like i always said i am not a expert but is a good list...
Myth

#5 Post by Myth »

Thank you for prompt reply guys !
RE.Lee wrote:I'm taking my time to read some 9th Age rules so I'll try and comment ;)

I understand that the Knights of Ryma are your main hammer - they seem to get approx. a gazzilion attack on the charge and at S7 to boot. Thats a good strategy but they are an obvious target for any shooting/magic the enemy might have. Will you be using the lighter cavalry units to shield them (thats an option with simple line of sight now, right?)? Will you be countering shooting with your own firepower? Or are you just taking your chances?

The Wardens seem as tough as ever, so no problems here - opponents will have a hard time deciding who to shoot.

Where does the Queens Companion go? Whats CA?
Very valid questions RE.Lee! ;)
Yes, KoR are main hammering unit and Prince will join their ranks. My aim was to offer several targets for shooting so no one should soak all. Next to KoR there is a BSB on Fiery, Mage in Lancer unit, BoE commander with the archers etc...
Didn't plan to use light cavalry as a shield, rather they need to be redirectors.
Range units will certainly try to deal with opponents shooting, by concentrating fire and lancers will try to catch opponents artillery.
Wardens are fine, but I'm bit worried for them since they are not supported by the character in the unit, neither they have a banner.....simply I can't find points for all :) They would need to pick a fight for sure or try to support KoR and BSB if they will be able to.
Prince of Spires wrote:I would keep the archers in. You've got a highly mobile list that hits like a sledgehammer. You don't want to get one or two of your knights stuck behind a simple redirector. Shooting really helps there. So I think the archers will help clear the field a bit. It will also free up the reapers and QG to shoot at higher priority and tougher targets.
Got it! I though by swooping archers and BoE commander with another lancer unit and 10 Queens Guard to get more of BS5 S4 magical/flaming shooting, but maybe it is better to have more regular shooting to deal with the chaff.
Ktoos wrote:I guess that CA is Citizen Archer.

My bigger question is why mix Queen companion and great bow of Elu? is to give Quick to fire to your Archer unit? I think that your archer will be aiming more to closer thinks... like redirector... so you will not have to move a lot with them...

My other question is why give shield, heavy armour and great weapon to you queen companion commander if you they charge your citizen archer you are already dead or for sure will run...

I think that you can add other body to the Knight of Ryma in exchange of all that (Including the Honour).

Like i always said i am not a expert but is a good list...
Correct for the archers ;)
Queens companion is to allow archers mobility to adjust their position during game development and not to loose shooting potential. In the later stage of the game their might faced threat in approaching enemy, so they would need to avoid being charged. Armor and GW on QC Commander is in case they get charged by the chaff or something not so nasty, he will be able to deal some damage and be somehow protected from low strength attacks.
But it is valid point to trade QC honor and mundane equipment for another KoR, although they would have wide front with 7 knights and the prince....
Myth

#6 Post by Myth »

I realized today that BSB build is illegal :?
Fire Phoenix can be used as a mount only with High Warden of the Flame honor.
In that setup it cost 840 points :shock:
I have to throw out SGR, QC and some other things...

One question....can mounted character wield magical weapon Spear of the Blazing Down? Mundane weapon spear can't be used by mounted ch, but does this restriction applies on magical weapon spear as well?

New list would be:
Prince, Prince of Ryma, Armor of Destiny, Ogre Sword, Shield, 510 (goes with KoR)
Commander, High Warden of the Flame, BSB, Beast-Bane Halberd, Lucky Shield, Fire Phoenix, 840
Commander, Queen's Companion, Great Bow of Elu, Great Weapon, 236 (goes with CA)
Mage Aprentice, Cosmology, 2 spells, Elven Horse, 340 (goes with HL)

Core
15 Archers, Musician, 290

Special
6 Knights of Ryma, FCG, War Banner of Ryma, 524
21 Flame Wardens, FCG, 640

Peacekeepers
Sea Guard Reaper, 180
Sea Guard Reaper, 180