Highborn list Tournament 2.500

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ktoos

Highborn list Tournament 2.500

#1 Post by Ktoos »

Hi all

I have a tournament in 2 weeks and this is the list that a have in mind, let me know your thoughts:

Lords (320)
Prince royal huntsman in Lion chariot, with grant weapon, armour of destiny, dusk stone 320

Herous (497)
commander BSB heavy armour, Dragon mantle, Spear of Blazing dawn 145
Mage Order of the flery heart, dragonforge armour, level 2 mage (Path of fire), deamon hunter's helm, tome of arcane lore with young dragon 352

Core (629)
5 Elein Reaver 85 * 2
5 Highborn Lancers with Standard 105
27 Sea guard full command, 354

Special (800)
20 Flame wardens with Champ and Standard 305
5 Knight of Ryma with Champ and Standard (War banner of Ryma) and devastating charge 210
20 Lion Guard with Champ and Standard (Banner of Courage) 285 (BSB goes here)

Rare (240)

Sea Guard Reaper with Repeating shot 80 * 3

I don't like out rare choice to much, felling that Fire and frost phoenix are to weak for the value and looking for a close combat list...
Last edited by Ktoos on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Re: Highborn list Tournament 2.500

#2 Post by Ferny »

I like it - it uses our new toys but is also quite a classic build. Question - how big are your units? I could work it out from points but I'm lazy :P

Dragon Mage cannot have the helm as he's a large target, so you'd need to sub that out. Usually he gets hardened shield and duskstone, but as the duskstone is already taken...dunno, I'd consider either re-kitting the chariot (who can be quite flexible in that regard) or plain 4++ regen on the dragonmage.

I'm also a bit concerned that your list is fairly low in magic and has no scroll, but if you can play that way more strength to you :D.

BSB to me looks a little shaky - he's only 2 failed 2+AS away from being deadmeat, and I'm not sure the spear adds much over what the lions already bring...but I recognise that trying to build something to use the lion bodyguard rule is difficult right now, and I don't have an alternative suggestion if you're going down that route.

Core looks solid to me.

KoR solid

Flame Wardens - if you have hte points razor banner adds to their flexibility, and personally I'm a fan of screaming swords on the champ. I've seen folk use the beast bane halberd too, though for my money its too costly for 2A.

Lions - do they need banner of courage if they're with the BSB? I'd consider flaming to be a decent option for them, or swifstride or +1M or x3March, the latter being nice and cheap too.

Rare looks solid.

Overall I'd feel more comfortable with more shooting, but the dragonmage synergises well with teh sea guard so you might get away with it, and you are packign lots of combat threats, so this might be a sensible way to compromise which I might consider myself, subject to how many models you're squeezing into those elite infantry blocks.

Looks good mate - good luck int the tourney
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

Ferny wrote:I'm also a bit concerned that your list is fairly low in magic and has no scroll, but if you can play that way more strength to you .
I think a common solution here is to have a very aggressive and fast list. Doing so will allow you to push your opponent and only offer him a few magic phases in which to work his magic. I'm not sure if this list qualifies as fast enough. It also depends on meta and playstyle. If the overall meta of the tournament is lower on magic then it's easier to run this way then when your in a magic heavy environment. In the end it's one of those things that can only really be determined with playtesting.
Ferny wrote:BSB to me looks a little shaky - he's only 2 failed 2+AS away from being deadmeat
This does mean you have to be more careful with him. Still, with to hit and to wound rolls included you can still take some decent punishment from regular troops. It's mainly things that ignore armour or high S attacks that you have to be careful with. It limits his role somewhat. But it can work if you're a bit more careful with him.

Overall I agree with Ferny's conclusion. Looks good and good luck. Let us know how it goes :D

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#4 Post by Ferny »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Ferny wrote:BSB to me looks a little shaky - he's only 2 failed 2+AS away from being deadmeat
This does mean you have to be more careful with him. Still, with to hit and to wound rolls included you can still take some decent punishment from regular troops. It's mainly things that ignore armour or high S attacks that you have to be careful with. It limits his role somewhat. But it can work if you're a bit more careful with him.

Overall I agree with Ferny's conclusion. Looks good and good luck. Let us know how it goes :D

Rod
Thing is, if you're putting him in the lions, you're pretty much gonna be seeking out the hardest thing on the board with them, which puts him in a very vulnerable spot...
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Ktoos

#5 Post by Ktoos »

Ferny wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:

Rod
Thing is, if you're putting him in the lions, you're pretty much gonna be seeking out the hardest thing on the board with them, which puts him in a very vulnerable spot...
Yes, that is the idea, so I modified little bit the list to the following:

Lords (320)
Prince royal huntsman in Lion chariot, with grant weapon, armour of destiny, dusk stone 320

Herous (505)
Commander BSB Grant weapon, Mithril Helm, Talisman of Greater Shielding 153
Mage Order of the flery heart, dragonforge armour, level 2 mage (Path of fire), tome of arcane lore, hardener shield and Charm of Cursed Iron with young dragon 352

Core (629)
5 Elein Reaver 85 * 2
5 Highborn Lancers with Standard 105
27 Sea guard full command, 354

Special (800)
20 Flame wardens with Champ and Standard 305
5 Knight of Ryma with Champ and Standard (War banner of Ryma) and devastating charge 210
20 Lion Guard with Champ and Standard (Banner of Courage) 285 (BSB goes here)

Rare (240)

Sea Guard Reaper with Repeating shot 80 * 3

Now, the idea is to have a BSB with some saves and the dragon with additional save to artillery. I still have 6 points free...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Ktoos wrote:Now, the idea is to have a BSB with some saves
Could be enough now. He's still not invulnerable but even if he goes down round 2 or 3 he might have done enough to stabilise the Lions so they can win a decisive combat.