rules question - enemy champion in challenge

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Arreja

rules question - enemy champion in challenge

#1 Post by Arreja »

Yesterday I had a fight against KoE, and we ended up in a pretty weird situation. The situation was that he overran with questing knights in my lion guard (with general), and my flame wardens countercharged his flank (this was fought in my turn, due to the overrun). He challenged with his champion, and I accepted with my general. At initiative step 6, my flame wardens did exactly enough wounds to kill all his normal RnF, but did not enough wounds that could overflow to his champion. Then, at initiative step 5, my lion guard got to attack. Due to the challenge, some of my boys were seemingly cut out of the combat, see figure below. Because I thought I would win the combat (at first), I didn't really want to argue, and agreed that the boys in green didn't fight. But later on, the combat went for the worse (my other lions got stuck on his armour and ward save) and his champion eventually killed my commander (general). So a big hypothetical questionmark remained.

So, the argument:
The Boys in green cannot allocate attacks to the champion, because he is in a challenge (page 81). However, on page 50, it says that my RnF is always able to hit his RnF, if they in base-to-base with that unit. On page 62, champions are said to be RnF, and RnF wounds can overflow towards the champion, even if he is in a challenge. So that would suggest that my green boys are able to hit his RnF, which then would directly overflow towards his champion. But since he's the last RnF model, this might be directly in contradiction to the challenge rules, and therefore unclear. So, what do you all think? Can the boys in green fight?

(Note, if another RnF survived to initiative step 5, this would be another situation. It's clear to me that I can target that other RnF, and any remaining wounds would overflow towards the champion, even if he's in a challenge as I think page 62 explicitly outlines this situation)

Arreja
till our doomsday dawns
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: rules question - enemy champion in challenge

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Arreja wrote:But since he's the last RnF model, this might be directly in contradiction to the challenge rules, and therefore unclear.
I've just had a good read of the rules and I think this sentence sums things up. My gut feeling is that the Challenge rules are intended to take precedence but this doesn't seem to be clearly stated.
Arreja wrote: (Note, if another RnF survived to initiative step 5, this would be another situation. It's clear to me that I can target that other RnF, and any remaining wounds would overflow towards the champion, even if he's in a challenge as I think page 62 explicitly outlines this situation)
I agree, think it's in agreement with pg 82 also.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Re: rules question - enemy champion in challenge

#3 Post by Ferny »

If you ask on T9A forum in the rules section and tag @lagerlof he should be able to give hte difinitive answer. (Equally Giladis on here was also a ref at ETC, but he's a busy busy man and I don't know how often he checks in on Ulthuan).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support