Reaver Chariot with Vanguard

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Grenic

Reaver Chariot with Vanguard

#1 Post by Grenic »

Recently I’ve added this unit to my list.

So far it seems to have performed really well, far better than I had expected.

While in both games the unit was lost, it did seem to perform much better than I think my opponents had anticipated or gave it credit for. It kind of reminds me of the old days when players with chariots would routinely expose their chariot’s flanks to my Great Eagles (of course with the exception of those ridiculous DoC chariots).

So far I have been placing the chariot with my Reavers to create a “flying wing” where one of the vanguard units creates a free move bubble for the others in the wing. Which unit creates this bubble will likely depend on what my opponent has and if they vanguard first. I find the chariot creates a has a sphere of influence with its 9M + Swiftstride charge range (although opponents may not rate it).

While I can’t charge on turn 1 if I vanguard the chariot, I find having the unit as much as 12” into the battle field to be well worth it. It creates a lot of placement options, especially when supporting the Reavers. If need be, I can even retreat back toward my line to take a position that a non-vanguarding chariot would take on turn 1 when advanced 3” or more.

As for shooting resistance, the T4, 4W, AS 5+ seems to me to have been more resilient than the Reavers. I also like the fact that as a single model it doesn’t have to take any panic test after taking 2 wounds, unlike its Reaver brethren (this has cost me the unit on several occasions).

While the unit only has 2 shooting attacks as compared to its Reaver brothers, they are long bows making it a great supporting unit to the Reavers as they can all get a shot in from short range when positioned 1” behind a Reaver unit.

What have others found with this unit?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Reaver Chariot with Vanguard

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Reminds me of the joy Seredain used to get from his, now with added Vanguard!

:)

It stands to reason that getting extra capability in makes sense. This is a unit with a long threat range, that hits reasonably hard, yet is fairly disposable. It can't march but pivoting is very helpful.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's an interesting unit. Less a pure redirector and more a swis-army-support unit, especially when compared to a unit of reavers. Reavers are faster and more mobile, but don't really do anything in combat (in my experience). 5 S4 and 5 S3 attack just don't achieve much, except against very specific opponents (ie. other redirectors). 2 S4, 2 S3 and D6 S5 attacks on the other hand perhaps isn't something you want to have in your flank.

It's more a force multiplier in that sense, that's slightly more resilient because of T4 and indeed less likely to panic due to casualties. And at the same time it's similarly priced as a unit of reavers and thus just as disposable when redirecting something. Also in combat it might take fewer hits since it's got a smaller base.

So you need to be careful with initial deployment, but (on paper) it looks like a great support unit.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Giladis
The Merlord

#4 Post by Giladis »

I am absolutelly thrilled with this unit. It is an amazing middle hitter, as well as second least expensive piece of chaff.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

How do you run them Giladis? Do you take vanguard?

Great post Grenic - nice to see some love for the horsi chariots :)
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Furion

#6 Post by Furion »

Protip: insert your [vanguarding] chariot to a unit of 7 ellyrian reavers in 2 2 2 1 formation, move 42" in one turn.

I can't see any situation in which this is worth it, however in principle... yes, you can :D
[url=http://www.youtube.com/followfurion][b]FollowFurion[/b] on youtube for in depth WFB tactics analysis (click!)[/url]
Giladis
The Merlord

#7 Post by Giladis »

Ferny wrote:How do you run them Giladis? Do you take vanguard?

Great post Grenic - nice to see some love for the horsi chariots :)

I don't take vanguard as I like to engage enemy armies on my half of the table if possible. I use them individually as that gives me greater flexibility in application.