New list moving forward

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Cealyne

New list moving forward

#1 Post by Cealyne »

Hello once again! So, I have done decent at my last 2 events... 11th outta 36 and 8th outta 42. Not bad! So moving forward I have an event coming up in July. I know it a while away and the version 1 comes out soon but I do also have a mini event on April 16th. Here's the list I plan to take and evolve when the full version is released!

Commander: MoCT, GW, mithril Mail, 5+ ward ( general ) ( shadow/nature )
Commander: Royal huntsman: GW, lion fur, 4+ ward armor
Mage: level 2, arcane tome, ring of fire ( alchemy )
Mage: level 2, dispel scroll ( fire or light )

5 reavers: bows
20 archers: musician, standard
20 seaguard: Full command, war banner, ambush

2 bolters: repeating
6 grey watchers: paired weapons
14 swordmasters: musician, standard, triple March banner
26 lion guard: Full command, banner of becalming

2x1 great Eagles
14 queens guard: musician, standard, spears

Thoughts?
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: New list moving forward

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Hi Cealyne.
Cealyne wrote:So, I have done decent at my last 2 events... 11th outta 36 and 8th outta 42.
Good stuff!

:)

I think the list has some good things going on but also a few issues. In general it's a bit slow but that's not a disaster because the shooting and magic are respectable. Pure gunlines could be a problem because your M5 infantry will have to go to them. You do have the Ambushing Sea Guard I guess. The Swordmasters kind of exemplify this because they are simultaneously your fastest, hardest hitting and most vulnerable unit. So aiming to kill them at range is a bit of a no-brainer for the enemy.

I'm wondering if re-jigging the characters might be a good idea? The BSB in Lions looks essential, did you consider the 4+ Ward Honour or are you sticking to theme here? The magic gives you a good spread of sig spells. Nature sig could really help the Swordmasters if your other spells can draw the dispel dice. I feel it might be worth considering an Archmage with scroll and Ring of Fire instead. Then you get to tailor spells in game more because you have four selection dice at whatever Path. He would also give you Ld9. Aside from this, I'm wondering how much the second Commander is bringing, given your infantry already have a ton of S5/6 attacks.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#3 Post by Ferny »

Good going on the placements, congrats!

SA - the lions onyl get stubborn with a lion honour or non honoured character...the conflict there with the warden's 4++ option is that he is more likely to survive the combats to the point whereby the stubborn would kick in, but doesn't grant it. 4++ ward item kinda replicates this effect on the stubborn-making lion honour, but of course uses up his entire magic allowance so his armour is capped at 4+. Fortunately, at least he doesn't need a magic weapon with MW on his GW...but the armour thing is the kicker really. At prince level you can get around it with mithril and 4++/duskstone...but he starts getting pretty costly.

RE: the list - I like alchemy and fire because they both provide something which deals with difficult lists (things like pathfinders and queens guard for fire, stanks and heavy cav for alchemy). I tend to put these two lores on my hero MoCT precisely because I rate the sig spells of these two lores more than almost any other for their niche mini-toolbox use, and then go for whatever lores I actually want on my mages. But honestly, your set-up looks solid too...and I haven't seen many people also doing what I do so it probably isn't all that.

As for the list, looks solid, although I worry the swords are too vulnerable, but I always worry that ;).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Ferny wrote: the lions onyl get stubborn with a lion honour or non honoured character
Indeed Ferny. Whether this was so when I posted I can't remember, there have been so many changes. On the one hand, a 26-strong unit will often be Steadfast. We might expect a unit of HE elite infantry that big to win combat or at least not lose by much and hold on the re-roll. Whether that would often enough be the case, I don't know. Against Daemons, VC's, TK's, Ogres and plenty of other stuff it won't matter because of Valiant. But yeah, I suspect I would go with the Lion build.

I've run soft foot BSB's and there are a few tricks to keeping them alive. Stuck on the end of a Horde formation for example to reduce enemy attacks. Of course he's surrounded by S6 guys, which helps. They are Initiative 5 though, so Initiative 6 elves and enemy characters are probably issues.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

yeah, to the chagrin of many it has been that way for a while now. We're into a stable playtest period now so we'll see how things stand :)
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support