Chariot commanders

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Galharen
Master of Brushes

Chariot commanders

#1 Post by Galharen »

Hi guys,

with V.99 of the 9th Age we got a lot of new combos, possibilities and builds.
I have to say I'm almost overwhelmed with the number of different builds and playstyles to test, as this is all meta-dependent.

apart from ''new'' untis I was playing with the idea of different noble builds.
We can field a strong bsb build on foot or even a warrior-mage and so on.
But what about mounted options?

Royal huntsman on with lion chariot. 2+ 4++/3++ vs magic (different builds) with S6 hits, D6+1 impacts, 4A S5 from lions, pretty nasty punch for about 210 points.
It was not intended but he is now also stubborn all the time due to bodyguard rule, well, untill next update/revision :wink:

In cav/monster list I think he would be too slow, but in infantry list? I think he would be quite decent. I'm still saying only about the commander, haven't considered the elf prince yet.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Chariot commanders

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

I think the biggest consideration is the change in how the profile works. In 8th the character and chariot have separate ones, in particular taking wounds separately. In 9th Age it works more like the Monstrous Cav rules, ie a combined profile. On the plus side, this means the character 'gains' 4 wounds, Toughness 4 and his saves apply to everything. On the minus side, you lose the disposability of the chariot.

Archery and low-strength Magic Missiles aren't especially worrying, because of being able to use the saves. War machines on the other hand, are. The 9th Age Line of Sight rules help. In 8th, the character can cheerfully field a hit with Ward save or Charmed Shield and escape a destroyed chariot. This is not possible in 9th Age. Of course he has four wounds and Lucky Shield plus Ward/Regen help but still.

So in 8th, a chariot-mounted Hero has the problem that he needs Magic Item protection vs War Machines but only has 50pts to pay for it and that restricts what else he can buy. I feel the same applies in 9th Age. The Lion BSB is pretty decent if you give him a Ward save say. But the chariot's an ambitious pick, given the continuing need to keep the BSB alive.

Any ideas on a list Galharen?
Malossar
Something Cool

#3 Post by Malossar »

Well the build I was looking at:

Commander
-BsB, Heavy Armor Great Weapon
-Dragonhelm, Talisman of Greater Shielding
-royal huntsmen, lion chariot

Clocks in at 243 points. Can't take lion fur on the chariot and to keep the multi wound you need to take a great weapon. 5+ Ward is the best we can get with a 2+ Ward.

Now you could do dragon armor plus seed of rebirth meaning you'd have a 3+ armor and regen.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Malossar wrote:Now you could do dragon armor plus seed of rebirth meaning you'd have a 3+ armor and regen.
I have this on my Prince and add Lucky Shield, Great Bow and Shard of Cenyrn for fun and games!

:)

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=120
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#5 Post by Galharen »

And now my builds became very popular :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Do you know any alternative Lion chariot model apart from GW?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#6 Post by Ferny »

I've made two white lion unit filler conversions from the GW kit on 40x40 bases - one's a lion cavalry commander and the other is the rearing lion with his chariot tether and a charioteer holding it and trying to control the lion...I'm putting these two onto a chariot base and voila, lion chariot prince (and different to the lion chariot special choice).

But to answer your question directly - no, fraid not - to my knowledge it was a unique idea of GWs.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

You might try a conversion with Sabretusks Galharen?