1500pts List

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ielthan

1500pts List

#1 Post by Ielthan »

Hey guys doing a campaign with some friends, mainly to get stuff painted and to get to know the 9th age rules.

Will start of at 1500pts. Same list for every game. Will be facing Rats, Woodies and Brets. I've tried to encourage theme, I suspect I'll see some filth.

The theme I'm going for is an expedition from Saphery accompanied by the crew of the Hawkship that's brought them. Trying to decide between 2 lists:

LIST A:

High Prince, lvl 1 mage (nature), Giant Eagle w/lightning reflexes, talisman of cenryn, daemon hunters helm, giant sword, gem of dragonfire, shield, heavy armour

Commander, BSB lvl 1 mage (wilderness), hardened shield, sword of strength, dusk stone, lion fur, heavy armour

5 Reavers

19 Seaguard, Full Command, Heavy armour, Banner of Prosaic Days.

Tiranoc Chariot

Bolt Thrower w/upgrade

Bolt Thrower w/upgrade

12 Swordmasters, Champ, Standard

1496pts.

LIST B:

High Prince, Loremaster, daemon hunter helm, giant sword, divine icon, lion fur, shield, heavy armour

High Captain, BSB, hardened shield, sword of strength, dusk stone, lion fur, heavy armour

5 Reavers

18 seaguard, heavy armour, champ, standard, banner of prosaic days

reaver chariot

bolt thrower w/upgrade

bolt thrower w/upgrade

14 swordmasters champ standard

14 swordmasters champ standard

It basically comes down to the 2 character combinations. Both can get +4 to dispel thanks that banner on the seaguard. Loremaster provides the beefier magic phase, but eagle princes are cool and potentially a nasty flanker. Might be worth losing the gem of dragonfire and taking the armour piercing on the eagle. Also vs those opponents I suspect the daemonhunter helm will be worth it's weight in gold. I think theme wise both are fine, a hawk chariot would have been themey but I'm not forking out the money for a model I will probably hate using. 1500 pts is pretty tricky, needing a general and a bsb eats a lot of points. I considered changing the eagle prince for an eagle noble, with the reaver bow and the daemonhunter helm, but I thought this was probably a better way to go. What do you think?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: 1500pts List

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Tough choice. Both lists are very similar. So I guess it's down to personal preference. They have a slightly different play style. The eagle prince is more aggressive while the loremaster is a bit more defensive. You could actually achieve roughly the same effect in the second list by putting the BSB on an eagle instead of the prince.

I'm not sure dual lvl1 is as useful in the magic phase though. Number of spells is fairly limited (giving relatively easy dispel choices to your opponent). And there is a decent chance that you'll run into magic heavier lists (especially the rats can fit it in easily at 1500pts). I think the loremaster will give a better return in the magic phase.

Last thought on things to consider, will the points totals grow as you move forward in the campaign? And if so, is the current list going to be the basis of the future lists? Because if it is, then perhaps you should consider what you want later lists ti be as well. You might chose less optimal setups if it helps in future lists. Of course, that also depends on how stuff like equipment is allowed to change. After all, if you can at some point upgrade the eagle to a griffon or dragon, then that could be loads of fun.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ielthan

#3 Post by Ielthan »

Thanks for the reply. Well at first I was thinking we'd keep the lists identical, however given the rapidly changing nature of 9th age I'll allow list rewrites after each update, but ask that they keep the theme the same. List expansion will happen only in particular scenarios, and will happen through the addition of set reinforcements that will be written down at the list stage. So at the moment no, the mounts won't be getting upgrades. I agree 2 lvl 1's probably won't cut it against skaven.

I like the idea of putting the bsb on the eagle, which would let me keep the loremaster, I'd have to give the helm to the bsb. Although it's so many points into characters.

If you were approaching this campaign, what way would you go?
Last edited by Ielthan on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ielthan

#4 Post by Ielthan »

Prince, Loremaster, talisman of cerwyn, hardened shield, kingslayer, dusk stone, lion fur, shield, heavy armour (20pts short of magic item allowance)

High Captain, giant eagle, heavy armour, shield, lance, BSB, daemonhunter helm, great bow of elu.

5 Reavers

19 Seaguard, Full Command, Heavy armour, Banner of Prosaic Days

Reaver Chariot

Bolt thrower w/upgrade

Bolt thrower w/upgrade

1499pts

Would love a way to get officer of the fleet onto the bsb.
PadForce

#5 Post by PadForce »

Please correct me if i am wrong, but with aided dispel each 'aid' only adds +1 (regardless of wizard lvl), so you dispel modifier will be +3 with a loremaster plus the dispel banner. If thats changed let me know!
Ielthan

#6 Post by Ielthan »

PadForce wrote:Please correct me if i am wrong, but with aided dispel each 'aid' only adds +1 (regardless of wizard lvl), so you dispel modifier will be +3 with a loremaster plus the dispel banner. If thats changed let me know!
I checked I think you're right. Might be worth changing it for the flaming banner instead.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

The posted list looks interesting enough. I'm wondering if the chariot will work in the list, given your opponents. Rats often don't care much about chariots. Take a big enough unit and even rolling well on impact hits doesn't do much. Even more so with steadfast in the mix. And after the initial round the chariot will have trouble getting enough wounds in to win combat. And Brets have enough armour to shrug off much of what the chariot does. Some games should show if this is indeed the case. Or if having a fast shock unit will help get rid of back-line stuff and warmachines.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

I’d keep the BSB on foot.

The whole list is defensive and on the eagle he will be target #1 for archery or any trebs. I also think a character on foot with S6 attacks would be helpful.
Ielthan

#9 Post by Ielthan »

The chariot was really just in because I was painting it, and I bought them about 20 years ago...number of games used...less than 5.

Given all the changes I'll have to rethink things. I'm not really convinced bolt throwers are necessary for us anymore, but theme wise they should be there. Eagle noble because well...I ordered some hobbit great eagles...

I'll sort a new v.011 list out and post it.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

I feel the RBT fit because you have a lot of infantry lelthan, oh and shooting is good at low points totals.

With more fast attack elements I'd consider dropping them.
Nicene

#11 Post by Nicene »

I think coastal guards could be really great at 1500
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]