2400 Loremaster and scholars

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Browncastle

2400 Loremaster and scholars

#1 Post by Browncastle »

Hey, after having played and read though the newest update to 9th, I wanted to make a list with a loremaster, and as many scholar captains I could fit. An Offensive lightcounsil, or 4 x wyssans. Well here you have my first attempt:

High Prince, crown of dominion, Gleaming robes, Deamon hunterhelm, loremaster

High Captain, Asfad, halberd, heavy armour, longbow, shield, armour of destiny
Griffon

High Captain, Officer of the fleet, HA, Hardened shield, Great bow of Elu, potion of strenght, lance
Eagle

HighCaptain, Asfad, halberd, BSB, Holy Icon, Dragonscale helm, longbow
Barded Steed

10 Lancers, 2+, FCG, gleaming Icon

21 Seaguard, HA, Ambush, FCG

18 Lions, FCG, banner of path, schirmish

Frost Phoenix

Fire Phoenix
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41281[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: 2400 Loremaster and scholars

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

It looks like an interesting list. And it should hit like a ton of bricks if you get the charges.

I'm assuming the high prince will probably go in the white lions. What I do think is that the lions (and sea guard actually) don't fit into the list very well. The list has a lot of very fast elements: 3 flying characters, 10 cavalry and 2 flying monsters. These will leave the lions far behind as they fly over the table. The lions then become too easy to separate from the rest of the army.

It isn't immediately a bad thing I think. However, it will make the list slightly predictable in how it plays. Lions go centrally in the list or anchor the center flank if you go refused flank. They move forward while the rest fans out. Lions hit and hold in place where you want to strike and the rest of the army uses the lions as anvil as they hammer home their charges.

Not a bad strategy. But you can see it coming. And so it makes the list a bit one dimensional. Also, stall the lions and the plan falls apart a bit.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Browncastle

#3 Post by Browncastle »

hi, I like your strategy of using the lions. My plan is to use them as a magebunker, that follows in the wake of my fast elements. They are schirmish so alittle harder to shoot down and way better positioning skills. Banner of path is there for lvl 5 Loremaster:D LvL2 + aided lvl1 + lvl1 + banner of path +1. The loremaster then is etheral and 3+ against magical attacks. So when I finally charge with lions there is a pretty good chance he will stick around. But Id rather not have them in any serious combat early in the game, not so much for the Prince, more because Im a little low on numbers.

As for the heros, I made a duplicate list with 2 scholars on griffons, both with 4++ and one with a bsb.

Seaguard could be switched for reavers, and that would be that. But Seaguard with ambush and heavy armour is a new unit an I want to play around with them. I tried one match with a 30 big unit of them, and they made a mess of a beastmen backline, shooting of 4 wounds on a cygor and 3 on another. soaking fire from ungors, taking a chariot to the face, smashing it, finishing of shooting tons of bestigors(with a little help from the fire phoenix)

And finally Im missing redirectors, 2 eagles would compliment this list. but points are tight as it is.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

It sounds like a decent enough strategy to try out I think.

I wouldn't drop the seaguard (or lancers) completely. But, you could drop 3 lancers and 2 seaguard for a unit of 5 reavers. Which perhaps hits less hard but they are very useful as a redirector or harassment unit. Or, if you have some points left over, drop 2 lancers, 2 seaguard and a lion. Something like that. Shuffling stuff around a bit could find you 80 extra points which have a lot of benefit in board control.

Just some food for thought. Let us know if you play the list and how it goes :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Browncastle

#5 Post by Browncastle »

Ill do that. Just had our club move into a new studio. So there is a big chance my blog will awaken from its sleep:P
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

Browncastle wrote:Ill do that. Just had our club move into a new studio. So there is a big chance my blog will awaken from its sleep:P
:D having an active club always helps (both to get some games in and with finding motivation). I'll keep an eye out for it.

Rod

Check out my plog