Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Learning Curve
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:33 am 
Green Istari

20phoenix wrote:
Griffon

This guy is still the equivalent of Monstrous Beast in 9th Age I believe? He certainly used to be.

Prince of Spires wrote:
And the only downside they have is that hiding in units is tough.

No Thunderstomp can make it harder to chew through Infantry quickly. From my experience, cannon can still be a problem if running in Cavalry say but a unit remains great protection against magic or RBT for example.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:33 pm 

SpellArcher wrote:
20phoenix wrote:
Griffon

This guy is still the equivalent of Monstrous Beast in 9th Age I believe? He certainly used to be.

I think I got confused because he has towering presence.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:22 am 

The infantry character list got another run out yesterday versus a KoE knight army. I had decided beforehand to try out Divination as I hadn't done so yet.

We rolled counter thrust and the scoring unit types. Since he was all Knight I figured he wanted to be in combat ASAP so i conga lined some reavers across the middle to force his deployment back. He started to focus drops on the right side by a hill so I held back my main combat threats, deploying my chaffy units on the right, shooting in the centre and eventually main combat on the left where his grail knights were. Plan was to use my chaffy stuff to slow up his right flank while the shooting and magic focused on them and my combat units could deal with the left side.

I'm not going to go into too much detail on the game itself as the dice skewed it massively. My opponent couldn't make an armour save and saved his high rolls for panic tests which resulted in his entire right flank crumpling. His left flank fared little better with only his peg knight lord actually impacting the game, killing the lion chariot and Queens Guard. By turn 5 he had the Peg knight who was about to be charged by the intact SM/WotHF unit and a very lonely hippogryph character facing off against all my shooting and cav so we called it.

Sadly other than some game craft elements and exposure to a new race there wasn't much to learn from that game as the dice meant I didn't really get to see if my decision making was right or how the list fared.

Divination was interesting but I don't feel it impacted the game massively. Will try it again at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:45 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

These games happen. Sometimes you just have a game where you can't make a roll to save your life. They aren't always the most fun games, though I find it really depends on your and your opponent's attitude. But I prefer games where I win or lose because of skill. Though it must be said that the best players tend to say that they want to avoid rolling dice as much as possible. After all, there is always the chance you'll roll way above or below average.

Still, seeing a new army in action is in itself worth something. As is getting more familiar with your own army (even if it's only how far can stuff move and what do I need to roll).

Rod

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:51 pm 

I went back to Pyromancy for my next game, using the saved points from Asfad to bump my swordmasters up to 20 (Asfad doesn't feel worth it for a 24" lore).

This evening's opponent was my DE oppo from my first T9A game but with an army switch to ogres.

He was fielding something like:

Khan with glittering cuirass and other stuff.
Shaman with fire ring and book (pyro)
2 X 2 Yetis
2 X 5 Tribesmen
1 X 3 Bruisers
1 X 3 Bombardier's
1 X 25 Scraplings with bows
Rock Auroch
1 X 6 Merc Vets with pistols
Thunder Cannon

We rolled battle line and breakthrough. He dropped early for first turn so I stacked my left flank away from his shooting. He moves the yetis on my right up aggressively looking to get at my bolt throwers on the hill in turn 2. Shooting shuffles around for best shooting potential while the Bruisers zone out my lancers on the right. He doesn't push the left flank at all. Magic decimates my Queens Guard and his shooting takes one of the bolt throwers down to one wound and deletes most the reavers. I push the phoenix, Ryma knights and chariot forward on the left with the SMs also advancing. The lancers on the right hide from the shooting behind a forest since they can't push up. Reavers chaff the Merc Vets so they can't shoot the SMs. Magic knocks off a couple of Merc Vets and puts a wound on the thunder Cannon. The bolt throwers unite to panic the yetis, while the remaining QG and archers take the thunder Cannon down another couple of wounds and cripple the left yetis.

Top of turn two I realise I've made two mistakes. The Bruisers can reach the flank of the right lancers on a 9 and his BSBs unit have an angle on the Ryma knights on a 7. Shit. The wounded left yeti unit charges my SMs and makes it, Bruisers make it but the tribesmen and BSB roll a 4! Got away with that. Oppo makes an error and pours a load of dice into putting flaming swords on the BSB and tribesmen that are about to be charged by Ryma knights. He miscasts, taking a wound, I shrug it off with fireborn. QG goes down to three. His thunder Cannon takes three wounds off the phoenix while his scrappers and Bombardier's remove the middle bolt thrower. Lancers lose to the Bruisers and hang onto table by an inch. SMs destroy yeti before he hits but lose three to impact hits. I charge lion chariot and Ryma Knights into his BSBs unit. SMs attempt to charge the Merc Vets but they flee. I redirect into generals unit but got an 8 needing a nine. Reavers chaff up generals unit to stop the counter charge. Phoenix swoops over the Auroch doing nothing. Shooting and magic take a couple of models off the generals unit, kill the thunder Cannon and put a few wounds on the bombardiers. Ryma knights and chariot sweep through the BSBs unit with the chariot taking three wounds and leaving only his BSB alive who gets run down.

The overrun left the Ryma Knights and the Chariot in the Auroch charge arc so he charges the Knights who flee, bouncing through the chariot and SMs. He redirects into the chariot who holds as with only one wound he likely loses and overruns into the SMs who with the BSBs blazing spear should slice him up. His generals unit charges the chaffing reavers and the Bruisers charge my left most bolt thrower. Merc Vets rally. Magic didn't do much, shooting finished off the bolt thrower and all his fights are won comfortably. Auroch overruns into SMs, Bruisers over run into lancers, generals unit overruns towards my firebase. I have no charges so phoenix sweeps the vets taking them down to 2 models and sitting in their rear and in range of scrappers too. The three remaining QG chaff the generals unit while the archers, lancers and KoR try to set up counter charges. I miscast 4 dicing salvo losing the spell and three archers. Shooting plinks a few wounds off generals unit. BSB single handedly kills the full strength Auroch (three hits doubled to six all wounding on 3's at ST7 AP1). Wow. The price was 5 dead SMs from impact hits. His Bruisers cut down the lancers and my scantily defended right flank is gone.

His turn 4 and it's anyone's game! His generals unit charges the QG (should have stood and shot. Only remembered QTF writing this!) His shaman flees the crippled Merc Vets to strike out on his own. All his magic and shooting is poured into the SMs leaving them with one full rank remaining. I just take the QG off to save time so he reforms to face the SMs. I didn't fancy running a single rank of SMs into four ogres so swift reformed and marched them off to his deployment zone to hunt down the Merc Vets remainder and the shaman. My mage flees the archers as they front up to the generals unit, KoR move so they don't get flanked, lancers start heading for his deployment too. Phoenix sweeps the scrappers killing 8 but they hold. Combined efforts of mage and archers reduce generals unit to two.

His remaining scoring units start to move towards my deployment. His general strikes off by himself and shaman backs away from the SMs. Combined shooting of Bruisers and trappers fail to deny the SMs but his generals ring of fire scores 9 hits causing the archers to flee off the board. Ouch. Glad I got my general out of there! My SMs fail the 9 inch charge into the shaman, rolling an 8 but the phoenix charged the sole surviving Merc vet. Lancers move to cut off shamans escape. Ryma knights try to stay safe from charging ogres but elect to just reform to face the general as nowhere was safe. Skull splitter and magic combined to kill his general on the very last spell. Phoenix finishes off the Merc Vets and then turns to eye up the scrappers.

He moves everything he can into my deployment zone and marched the shaman past the SMs but still in the lancers arc. Bombardier's and scrappers turn to face the phoenix. He puts all four of his magic dice into a 3d6 pyroclastic on the lancers and miscasts but shrugs it off. Amazingly the lancers only lost one wound, not even enough for a panic! Phoenix brushes off the shooting. My lancers charge his shaman hoping for the two wounds he had left. Phoenix sweeps the scrappers for a final time, killing 6 but again they held. Mage shuffles to get into magic range of the two crippled scoring units. Magic and skull splitter flub while the lancers put a wound on the shaman, losing one themselves but the shaman holds on to preserve some points.

After count up I won 14-6 on points but lost the secondary for an 11-9 win. It was a really fun and tense game that went down to the wire. That's the first time I've got the spear of the Blazing Dawn into a monster and I know I rolled out the box but boy that thing hurts! List held up admirably with most units contributing something to the game. Ideally I'd like to drop the SMs back to 17 again and use the Asfad points for sloops but I don't have the models or anything I can proxy with so I'll stick with this as it is. Only question mark is SM v LG in this list. I'm wondering if LG might suit this list better as I'm not using Druidism to help SMs get across the board. I massively prefer them in combat, it's just getting them there. LG are better at staying alive although they lack the blender quality of SMs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:37 am 

No games this week so did a spot of hobby Friday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:21 pm 
Green Istari

Loving the standard bearer, such fiery colours!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:49 pm 

It was actually watching the Lannister army on GoT that sent me down the red and gold route. After painting a chariot and realising how Roman it looked plus my love of pyro/dragons I dubbed the army "The Burning Legion". That gave me the idea for using orange as a complimentary colour on models. He's got a shield which I need to add but haven't painted it yet.

Can't seem to link the chariot picture for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:42 pm 

We have a campaign starting next month at the club - 17 people signed up atm. It's a developmental campaign and we start with 1000 points and can only field a general and core units to start. This proved to be remarkably tough! The core of my fluff for the campaign is that an elf is born from fire but must prove himself before being permitted to ride a dragon. He starts the campaign having earned his spurs so is mounted on a horse.

Commander - Horse, DA, Hero's Sword, Lucky Charm, Shield
8 X Lancers - FC
14 X Archers - Musician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 pm 
Green Istari

Looks sensible enough. I guess you might run into some nasty extreme builds but these should be tempered by the need to constitute a base for future expansion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:13 am 

After I submitted that they added in a min three unit rule so amended the list to:

++ Highborn Elves (BS2.0 Highborn Elves) [992pts] ++

+ Characters +

Lords of the Seas [282pts]
. Commander
. . Commander: Commander Elven Horse mount, Dragonforged Armour, Longbow, Shield, The General
. . . Magic Items: Hero's Sword, Lucky Charm

+ Core +

Citizen Archers [180pts]: 10x Archer

Citizen Spears [260pts]: 20x Spearman

Highborn Lancers [270pts]: Champion, 5x Highborn Lancer

++ Total: [992pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The guy running the campaign has been banging on the narrative campaign drum after someone posted a goblin list with 70 shots and pyro!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:56 pm 
Green Istari

20phoenix wrote:
someone posted a goblin list with 70 shots and pyro!

There's always one!

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:43 am 

Played a few games last week. Two against KOE on Friday, 20-0 and 15-5 wins. The first game was all about his deployment. He stacked one flank and gave himself a massive traffic jam after I shot one of his chaff units down to one model who fled and sat right in front of his entire army. By the time that had cleared he had my SMs in his front, and my KoR, Phoenix, Lancers and Chariot ready to pounce on his flanks. Tabling ensued.

The second game I made a few ropey decisions while rushed as we were trying to finish before closing. The worst of these was me charging my lion chariot and KoR into a combat that had been formed the previous turn by an overrun charge of his peg lord and grail knights into an SGR. Forgot this was first round of combat so his lord had all his toys active and blazed through the KoR. Chariot survived but fled. We got the objective though to pad out the result.

Saturdays game was against SE and I got pretty screwed by deployment as the diagonal I got was pretty poor for me to use. Fear of my archers getting kestrels in the face early on meant I put my mage in the SMs instead. Mistake! Mage miscasts on turn 1 wiping out 9 SMs. Ouch. To make it worse it was a salvo which then failed miserably. Most interesting part of the game was a three turn combat involving initially the SMs and the LC going into his treefather, blasting through him but missing the overrun into his remaining Dryads. Lord on elk and Thicket beasts then ploughed into the SMs rear. A pyrhhic fight ensued with lancers and chariots joining in later rounds. His Druidism swung the fight as our BSBs duelled for three turns, my BSB eventually dying on the last turn. The SE lost the objective after a miscast caused a panic on his archer unit which panicked another archer unit fleeing them out of scoring range. It wasn't enough to clinch it for me though and we lost 12-8.

First loss for that list arrives just as I'm about to make some changes as I'm going to be picking up a couple of sloops this week. I'm going to go back to the Dragon Mage for my friendly games for a bit but with a pretty mobile list and a big anchor. List is:

++ Highborn Elves (BS2.0 Highborn Elves) [4485pts] ++

+ Characters +

Lords of the Seas [576pts]
. Commander
. . Commander Royal Huntsman: Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Lion Chariot mount
. . . Magic Items: HBE - Shard of Cenyrn, Sprout of Rebirth

Mage [1065pts]
. Wizard Master Order of the Fiery Heart: 3x May add up to 3 Learned Spells, May take Dragonforged Armour, The General
. . Magic Items: Hardened Shield, Skull Splitter, Talisman of Supreme Shielding
. . Order of the Fiery Heart Young Dragon mount: Order of the Fiery Heart Young Dragon

+ Core +

Citizen Archers [398pts]: 21x Archer, Musician

Elein Reavers [190pts]
. 5x Elein Reaver: 5x Bow

Highborn Lancers [270pts]: 5x Highborn Lancer, Musician

Highborn Lancers [270pts]: 5x Highborn Lancer, Musician

+ Special +

Flame Wardens [756pts]: 24x Flame Warden
. Champion
. Standard Bearer: Rending Banner

Giant Eagle [100pts]: Giant Eagle

Knights of Ryma [380pts]: Champion, 5x Knight of Ryma, Musician

Sky Sloop with Sea Reaper [240pts]: Sky Sloop with Sky Reaper

Sky Sloop with Sea Reaper [240pts]: Sky Sloop with Sky Reaper

++ Total: [4485pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:00 pm 

A sneak preview of Pyros, my general in the forthcoming campaign. He's not finished yet, only basecoated and washed atm but a good indication of what he will look like:

The feathers will be phoenix feathers so similar colours to the phoenix:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 am 

You might want to re-scale those photos :wink:

Congrats on the wins and I hope the Dragon Mage will do some good!

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:29 pm 

I'm not sure how to!