First 1000 pts. Kings of War Elves list

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

First 1000 pts. Kings of War Elves list

#1 Post by Luna Guardian »

Hey,

I might get to play a few games of Kings of War this weekend (this time with a painted gaming board!), and would like some input on the list I am planning on using. My main concern is that I will be utterly swamped by endless numbers of orcs:

Elven King with Ensorcelled Armor

Palace Guard Regiment with Dwarven Ale

Kindred Archers Troop with Heart-Seeking Chant

Therennian Sea Guard Horde with Brew of Keen-eyeness

Stormwind Cavalry Regiment

My plan is to center my force around the Sea Guard, and hopefully take out at least one unit of Morax that I am expecting before battle is joined. The Kindred Archers will shoot at anything tougher than that, like a large Ax unit, Trolls, or Gore Riders. The Stormwind Cavalry will attempt to take up a flanking position along with the Palace Guard (both of whom I will hopefully use better than in my last game), while the Elf King will provide mobile support where needed.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Francis

Re: First 1000 pts. Kings of War Elves list

#2 Post by Francis »

I think the list looks pretty good. Have you considered putting the King on a horse? It might help him get where he is needed.

I would also drop the armour on him, as I prefer to not use the items banned in the Clash of Kings tournament rules, but also because you might want to consider using the scrying gem (same price as the armour), as that will greatly help you out with deployment at such low levels.

Or if you want your King to contribute to your gunline, give him the Boomstick, put the scrying gem on palace guard, and remove the Heartseeker chant from the archers (too expensive for only 8 shots and very low staying power I think).

I would also put the hammer of measured force on the seaguard, as that allows them to wound the orcs on a 4+ rather than 5+.

This would be my list with the same models:

Elves (Good)
Kindred Archers Infantry
Unit Size Sp Me Ra De At Ne Pts
OptionsTroop(10)
6 5+ 4+ 4+ 8 10/12 115 Delete

Palace Guard Infantry
OptionsRegiment(20)
6 3+ - 4+ 12 15/17 150 Delete
- Crepognon’s Scrying Gem of Zellak 30

Therennian Sea Guard Infantry
OptionsHorde(40)
6 4+ 5+ 4+ 25 21/23 280 Delete
- Hammer of Measured Force 20

Stormwind Cavalry Cavalry
OptionsRegiment(10)
9 3+ - 5+ 16 14/16 215 Delete
- Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar 20

Elven King Hero (Inf)
Options (1)
9 3+ - 5+ 5 13/15 120 Delete
- Mount on a horse, increasing Speed to 9 and changing to Hero (Cav) 20
- The Boomstick 30

Please post your results :D
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#3 Post by Luna Guardian »

Francis wrote:I think the list looks pretty good. Have you considered putting the King on a horse? It might help him get where he is needed. I would also drop the armour on him, as I prefer to not use the items banned in the Clash of Kings tournament rules, but also because you might want to consider using the scrying gem (same price as the armour), as that will greatly help you out with deployment at such low levels.

I don't have a figure for a mounted lord :D

We are just learning the game (this would literally be my second or third), so I have no idea about the tournament rules. Going up against a lot of Crushing Strength I fear for the King's survival without the armor more than the deployment bonus I might get. But it is certainly worth considering, since if my opponent deploys more evenly across his deployment zone, I can get more out of my planned refused flank. Hmm...
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Francis

#4 Post by Francis »

Luna Guardian wrote:
Francis wrote:I think the list looks pretty good. Have you considered putting the King on a horse? It might help him get where he is needed. I would also drop the armour on him, as I prefer to not use the items banned in the Clash of Kings tournament rules, but also because you might want to consider using the scrying gem (same price as the armour), as that will greatly help you out with deployment at such low levels.

I don't have a figure for a mounted lord :D

We are just learning the game (this would literally be my second or third), so I have no idea about the tournament rules. Going up against a lot of Crushing Strength I fear for the King's survival without the armor more than the deployment bonus I might get. But it is certainly worth considering, since if my opponent deploys more evenly across his deployment zone, I can get more out of my planned refused flank. Hmm...
Yeah, also take a look at the updated post I wrote above, I took a closer look at the list and considered it against orcs.