Other Fantasy/Historic wargaming

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aerendar Valandil

Other Fantasy/Historic wargaming

#1 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Hi all, does anyone currently visiting this site play other fantasy or non-fantasy wargames?

I play Frostgrave, Song of Blades and Heroes, and I have the Dragon Rampant rules. I also play occasionally Song of Drums and Shako's Fantasy Napoleonics (old Flintloque stuff, with British Orcs, French Elves and German ('Finklestein') Ogres and Dwarves)

In addition, at my club, several games are played, but my main interest is Napoleonics (played at Blucher - 6mm, and 1788 pre-Napoleonic Dutch revolution, in 28mm Sharp Practice rules). In addition, we are working on Italian Risorgimento (1860-ish), I am currently painting Papal Zouaves.
Last edited by Aerendar Valandil on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Other fantasy/hsitoric wargaming

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Moved to forum for other games.

SA

Been a long, long time since I played historicals and TBH I don't think I've ever played another fantasy wargame. 40K doesn't count! But I did used to play a lot in 15mm, mostly WRG rules, mostly Ancients, though all periods really, Renaissance was especially interesting. Mostly in the 80's. Also some 1/300th WW2.
Duranthalis

#3 Post by Duranthalis »

Assembling and painting a Soviet Strelkovy army and a Soviet Tankovy army for Flames of War when I'm not working on other stuff. Other than that, not really interested in other games. WWII is pretty fascinating to me.
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Aerendar Valandil

#4 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

I started in the 80's as well, at the only Dutch club in The Hague (NL). I was around 10-12 then, WRG-Napoleonics. Then I lost interest for several years, played RPG's, went into boardgaming. In the Mid-nineties i started with my HE army, very slowly, and had my first games around the turn of the century with Elias Kalderon, a veteran here (like him, I was already present in some of the earlier incarnations of Ulthuan.) Through Bloodbowl I came into contact with some other (historic) wargamers (2006-2007 ev.) and eventually I started a club (2013). Now I play regularly, apart from Frostrgrave hardly any fantasy though.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

What is Frostgrave like?
Aerendar Valandil

#6 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Very light skirmish for an equally light campaign.

You have max 10-12 models: one wizard, one apprentice, and a bunch of hirelings from thugs to barbarians to deal an sustain some damage. Imagine a small table (3x3 or 4x4) full of (preferably snowy and icy terrain, and your group and one or more other bands fighting over skeleton- and daemon-guarded treasure. The focus is on the magic of the wizards, and in the standard game only wizards and their apprentices advance from game to game. Hirelings only get fired or killed, although they may be equipped with special equipment and magic.

The theme is snowy, but that is not really necessary.

Pro: good fun, light, can use any models hiding in the closet, volatile.
Con: perhaps too light for some, campaign system is not very balanced at length.
Comparison: Mordheim.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

It does sound like fun!

I always enjoyed skirmish-level games with advancement, like Blood Bowl or Necromunda.
Aerendar Valandil

#8 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

It is, and the only thing you need is a few dozen models of the standard fantasy type, not race-specific, a ruler, the booklet, and a few D20's. And terrain, of course - the game needs quite some, but you can take any terrain. Simple spell cards are downloadable from the site.

It's easy to step in, especially if you are a fantasy wargamer already, and as you can always leave with a few pieces of treasure, even in an imbalanced game you can get out quickly enough to get out more than you lose. The rules are simple, so even after some time you will probably pick them up rather easily.

Very much a game for wargamedads of busy people who have no time or the attention span for very long tactically subtle scenario-driven games with a lot of background or long, knife-on-the-table tounaments or leagues, and especially for those who like their games not overly competitive and light, with a good laugh and a drink or two.

M.
Gandalf_82

#9 Post by Gandalf_82 »

They play a lot of Frostgrave at my local club but so far i've opted not to get involved (lack of time, too much I want to play/paint already!) but its a very popular game there at least.

I'm a huge fan of historical war gaming to be honest, it was WFB that got me into the whole "scene" but now I'm a member of my local club I've got the bug. I still play WFB 8th edition (after a year off "sulking" that they'd killed the world!) but my favourite game is Flames of War and I've painted up a Fallschirmjaeger company and a Panzer company over the last couple of years.

This year I tried my hand at Saga as the club was running a campaign, thats a decent little game and I like that the games themselves only are relatively short.

I've also started painting a British 28mm Napoleonics army but thats very slow progress and a labour of love really. I started reading the Sharpe books way back when I was about 12-13 and thats my favourite historical period so it was inevitable I'd try my hand at it at some point. I've had a couple of intro games of Black Powder down at the club and they also play General De Brigade so i've got the rules for that but yet to give them a try.
Aerendar Valandil

#10 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

That almost sounds like our club, Gandalf. There is some frostgrave at ours, but I wouldn't call it 'much', we play FoW, but also Bolt Action, There has been some saga the last two tears and a 28mm napoleonic project is slowly picked up by a few members. Where is your club? (Ours is in Amsterdam)

In the meantime, we occasionally tru our luck with Taco's 1:72 nappies, with the Blucher gameset (we also have 6mm). Like yesterday. The other game was Horizon Wars. The pic above is from a game of two deserters who preferred to play at home (boo hiss!).

http://amsterdam6shooters.nl/node/905