KoW Elves Army List - 1000pts - please help

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

KoW Elves Army List - 1000pts - please help

#1 Post by Ferny »

Hi guys,

I've got my first ever KoW game on Thursday night. In so far as I know the rules, I've learnt them from Swordmasters battle reports, but I'm not worried about that because I'll pick it up playing (by contrast, I've spent the last few days free time reading up on 9th Age because I'm going to a tourney next weekend and I've never yet played it!).

In KoW I'll be playing 1000pts, which I gather is small, on the basis that we might get a couple of games in. I know that options are unlocked from other options, and therefore list building is completely different to WH. I'm not to bothered about models (I'll proxy if need be) as it's only a friendly, and some things like dragon cav I don't have from GW.

Could anyone direct me to a couple of 1000pt lists I might be able to steal? I'm not too fussed about playstyles or optimisation or anything like that at this stage, just that they're legal lists I can play and learn from.

Thanks,
Ferny
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: KoW Elves Army List - 1000pts - please help

#2 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Ferny,

I tried to have a look at the topics on Mantic forum but there are no 1k army list to be honest. I guess it also depends what models you have because Elves in Mantica have potentially access to Treemen like units too.

I found this topic, though, it might be helpful:

https://manticforum.com/forum/kings-of- ... unit-guide

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#3 Post by Ferny »

Hi Swordmaster,

I've created the list below on the following grounds:
1. Palace Guard and Stormwind Cav are meant to be decent
2. I wanted to have a horde, a regiment and a troop to try different things out
3. I wanted to have some shooting (and the only unit I could horde were archers)
4. I need 2 inspire/500pts (note: I took the inspire from your list with the Elven Mage, but I don't know where in the rules you got it from...)
5. I did want ballistas but I couldn't afford them
6. I would want to try out dragon lord and dragon cav but not at 1000 (and their rules don't seem to be in the free download).

Regiment of Palace Guard - 150
-hero/war machine/monster; Elven Mage: 75 (Bane Chant, 15, Inspire, 20) - 110
-troop, palace guard - 105
-troop, stormwind cav - 140

Horde of archers - 250
-troops, Stormwind Cav: 140
-hero, Elven Mage: 75 (Inspire, 20) - 95
-monster
-war machine
-troops
-troops
-troops

Total: 990pts

Does this list look a) legal, b) varied/fun, c) halfway sensible (in that order of importance).

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#4 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Ferny,

First of all you can use this website to build your armies (it has all the details from the full rulebook):

http://kow2.easyarmy.com/

Second, your army is not legal, I am afraid. Mage gains Inspire due to Magical Artifact (20 points) but you can get only single artifact per army. Hence, second mage cannot take it. You can take cheap BSB for that purpose (50 points).

In terms of army composition I am not going to say what is right or wrong because I don't have enough experience yet and even if I did it is always up to a player. However, I would like to offer a piece of advice on Archers horde.

If a shooting unit suffers even 1 point of damage in melee it is disrupted and cannot shoot. While horde is very attractive for shooting (the largest number of attacks, whole unit benefits from bane chant) it is in theory easier to make them stop for a turn at least even with a weak combat unit. So you need to be careful with positioning and target priorities.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

Thanks Swordmaster - I've had another go using the tool you linked (seems pretty solid - doesn't let you replicate choices etc), so the list below should be legal now. Good advice RE: the archers - I think it is probably not the best way to use them, or at any rate, unless you can easily defend them...but for game 1 I'll keep them and play a horde. And I'll understand the point you're makign all the better after having it dealt out to me on the gaming table!

RE: army composition - I went for what looked recognisably high elven, what was in the free rulebook I downloaded (loads of options like dragon knights were missing, although they were in the website link), and for a mix of cav, combat infantry and shooting. I've now got my (legal) two sources of inspire, as well as some magic, and because I didn't have neough points for more units, I added a smattering of magic items. I've seen you use the potion of caterpiller, I liked the idea of fire arrows, and the rest I picked without really knowing what they are but because I needed to spend the points (and live and learn).

On the basis that it should be OK for a tutorial game, I'm happy with the below for now I think - I'll let you know my thoughts on the list and the game after Thursday. I don't think I'll even attempt any bat reps though - I'm hoping to do some very basic T9A ones after the (very small) tourney on the weekend if I can.

Elves (Good)
Kindred Archers Infantry
Unit Size Sp Me Ra De At Ne Pts
Horde(40) 6 5+ 4+ 4+ 20 21/23 250 Bows (Range 24"), Elite
- Fire-Oil 5

Palace Guard Infantry
Troop(10) 6 3+ - 4+ 10 11/13 105 Crushing Strength (1), Elite
Regiment(20) 6 3+ - 4+ 12 15/17 150 Crushing Strength (1), Elite
- Quicksilver Rapier 10

Stormwind Cavalry Cavalry
Troop(5) 9 3+ - 5+ 8 11/13 140 Elite, Thunderous Charge (2)
- Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar 20
Troop(5) 9 3+ - 5+ 8 11/13 140 Elite, Thunderous Charge (2)

Army Standard Bearer Hero
(1) 9 5+ - 4+ 1 10/12 50 Elite, Individual, Inspiring
- Mount on a horse, increasing Speed to 9 and changing to Hero (Cav) 15
- Blade of Slashing 5

Elven Mage Hero
(1) 6 5+ - 4+ 1 10/12 75 Bane-chant (2), Elite, Heal (3), Individual
- Bane Chant (2) 15
- Inspiring Talisman 20

Blade of Slashing Whenever the unit rolls to hit in Melee, it can re-roll one of the dice that failed to hit.

Crushing Strength All melee hits inflicted by the unit have a +(n) modifier when rolling to damage.

Elite Whenever the unit rolls to hit, it can re-roll all dice that score a natural, unmodified 1.

Fire-Oil Against units with the Regeneration rule this unit gains an additional Piercing (1) on ‘normal’ ranged attacks, and Crushing Strength (1) in melee.

Heal Spell. Range 12". Friendly unit only, including units engaged in combat. Hits don’t inflict damage. Instead, for every hit ‘inflicted’, the friendly unit removes a point of damage that it has previously suffered.

Individual
Line of Sight Before being given an order, an individual may pivot to face any direction for free. Individuals never block line of sight or offer cover against ranged attacks.
Move Individuals have the Nimble special rule.
Shooting Individuals may pivot to face any direction for free before picking a target in the shooting phase. Enemies shooting against Individuals suffer an additionals -1 to hit modifier.
Melee When charging an individual, a unit must make contact with the face that they started in as normal, however the Individual will turn to align flush with the unit’s facing, rather than the unit aligning to the individual’s facing. Enemies never double/treble their Attacks when fighting the individual (including against Individual War Engines). Similarly, the individual does not double/treble its own attacks when attacking an enemy in the flank/rear. It does still treble its attacks against war engines, however. If an individual is routed and the charger (including another individual) decides to advance D6 directly forward

Inspiring If this unit, or any friendly non-allied unit within 6" of this unit, is Routed, the opponent must re-roll that Nerve test. The second result stands.

Inspiring Talisman This artefact can only be used by Heroes. The Hero has the Inspiring special rule.

Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar The unit has the Pathfinder special rule.

Quicksilver Rapier This unit has +1 to hit when attacking individuals in melee.

Thunderous Charge All melee hits inflicted by the unit have a +(n) modifier when rolling to damage. This bonus is in addition to the unit’s Crushing Strength (if any), however the unit loses this bonus when Disordered or during Hindered charges.

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#6 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Ferny,

I am glad I could help, at least with the tools for army building.

As to the army list itself, I think you know by now I's rather focus on what you can do with particular units and the army in general, rather than argue what is "better". Especially, that it is your first event. Just do what you do, go with gut feeling or any criteria you like and see how that works for you.

I wish you all the best and hopefully it will be enjoyable experience and the one that will be just the beginning of a longer journey.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth