Oblivion

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Oblivion

#1 Post by Prince of Spires »

Has anyone played Oblivion (elder scrolls 4)? What are peoples experiences? How does it stack up to Morrowind and Skyrim? I've played both of them a fair bit and enjoyed them immensely. How does it play (on an Xbox)? And is it worth it to get it after playing skyrim?

Of course, suggestions for other great RPG's are welcome as well. :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
sparkytrypod

Re: Oblivion

#2 Post by sparkytrypod »

ya its def worth playing, story is a lot longer than skyrims main quest.

nothing has come close to morrowind for me.

though I found the mass effect series to be good too
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Rajmahal

#3 Post by Rajmahal »

Definitely worth playing. Excellent game though probably the best experience is on PC with mods.
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

Awesome game that I never finished. Far too long and too much to do! Is that a bad thing though? Personally I preferred Skyrim (never played any of the others)
Cold Phoenix

#5 Post by Cold Phoenix »

I played Oblivion for a long time, much longer than I've played Skyrim. Oblivion has a much better control system for my preferred Spellsword/Battlemage type characters, because you can use a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon and shield while still having access to spells. In Skyrim, you could sort of do this using shouts; but you had to wait in between shouts, were limited by the shouts you had available and couldn't heal in combat, which could be a real problem when fighting Ancient Dragons and Dragur Lords. Also, there were some really interesting quests in the Shivering Isles expansion.
Facade19

#6 Post by Facade19 »

I played Oblivion and by far one of my favorite games. I acquired it first on the Xbox 360. After having put in around 100 years, I got the PS3 Version (Gold edition), whereupon I spent around another 110 hours on it. Cannot go wrong with it!
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#7 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Oblivion is a beautiful game and in some respects is better than Skyrim. The Add ons are all fantastic as well, and as I've only ever played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim on Xbox through 360 I can undoubtably say that it is wonderful on console. I have played a bit of Blivy on PS3 and finished a fair bit of Arena and Daggerfall on PC but not to the extent that I have on the Xboxes.

Blivy is still one of my fav games and if you have the DLC of Wizard's tower I know of a nice little back door to a testing village the devs left in the game that gives you access to basically unlimited supplies of every Soul Stones (I think that's what they're called??) which most of which are the best enchanters in game, without having a PC version and blatantly cheating. Which of course this is too, but the stones are Levelled to your character and not to the commands on a keyboard.

It made starting a new character for different story outcomes much more satisfying and easy.
I'd simply level up to 17, do the thang, craft some killer gear, usually just what I had in my previous save, and survive a little longer without the need to excessive potion addiction. :3
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the reviews. You're definitely selling it to me. And, at cheaper then dawnguard, I probably can't realy go wrong with it. I'll give it a go then. :)

Can you actually finish Skyrim / Oblivion? I know for Skyrim I've finished most of the major quests. But I just keep collecting minor ones everywhere. It's not as bad as when I started Skyrim. At the start of the game I couldn't walk down an abandoned path without getting a quest handed to me. But still, there seems more then enough to do...

I've played morrowind extensively as well. My main issue with it was the crappy quest / diary system. It's bloody hard to remember what quests you have going on and where you are with them. And it's even harder to pick up the game after not playing it for a few weeks / months. Skyrim it's pretty easy. Most steps are listed out, and you can always find at leas the location of where you are supposed to be (except for those bloody Barenziah stones...).

How about other rpg's (or just other great games worth playing)? We've had one mass-effect mention. Any others?

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
John Rainbow

#9 Post by John Rainbow »

My favourite game series of all time is still Baldur's Gate. Truly awesome. Closely followed by Mass Effect and the original Fallout games.

With Skyrim a load of the quests are 'radiant' i.e. randomly generated in-game content. So you can talk to someone and get a quest that is something simple along the lines of 'fetch item x from location y'. AFAIK they just keep spawning these quests as long as you are playing.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#10 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

I've always vocalised that the Elder Scroll games are too large for any mortal coil to actually finish.
Back in the day with Morrowind, I must have put in over 3500 hours (seriously :shock: ) and I don't think I made a dint in it. I never even finished the main quest, my bru did and I watched all of it unfold before my eyes so I had the satisfaction of seeing what happens. I mainly played the DLC, Bloodmoon was epic and remains one of my favourites to date, and I still can't get the comically perfect execution of the phase "Mournhold, city of light, city of Magic!" from Tribunal out of my head to this day. For that reason I love that they repeated that beautiful dialog style of the Dunmer in the Skyrim DLC Dragonborn when you return to Solsthiem.

Oblivion I probably put in over 2500 at the very least, and only finished the main quest line once, most of my time was spent with the DLC also. That and most of the guilds.

Skyrim I haven't done anything past of the second named dragon for the main quest line, but am lv60 ATM, and have just tried to collect as many quests and map locales as possible.
I've just finished the Dark Brotherhood line a few weeks ago, and have been dealing with Mirak recently.
I truly have no idea how many hours I would've spent in Skyrim but it would be more than 1500 I feel..
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Cold Phoenix

#11 Post by Cold Phoenix »

I've always vocalised that the Elder Scroll games are too large for any mortal coil to actually finish.
Back in the day with Morrowind, I must have put in over 3500 hours (seriously :shock: ) and I don't think I made a dint in it. I never even finished the main quest, my bru did and I watched all of it unfold before my eyes so I had the satisfaction of seeing what happens. I mainly played the DLC, Bloodmoon was epic and remains one of my favourites to date, and I still can't get the comically perfect execution of the phase "Mournhold, city of light, city of Magic!" from Tribunal out of my head to this day. For that reason I love that they repeated that beautiful dialog style of the Dunmer in the Skyrim DLC Dragonborn when you return to Solsthiem.

Oblivion I probably put in over 2500 at the very least, and only finished the main quest line once, most of my time was spent with the DLC also. That and most of the guilds.

Skyrim I haven't done anything past of the second named dragon for the main quest line, but am lv60 ATM, and have just tried to collect as many quests and map locales as possible.
I've just finished the Dark Brotherhood line a few weeks ago, and have been dealing with Mirak recently.
I truly have no idea how many hours I would've spent in Skyrim but it would be more than 1500 I feel..
I'm impressed :shock: , but are you really sure you've spent that much time on the Elder Scrolls games? My main Oblivion Character has 100 hours of game time on him but, I'd completed the main quest line, mage guild, The Knights of the Nine expansion, fighters guild, most of the thieves guild, 20-30 oblivion gates, most of the Daedric quests and more dungeons then I can remember. I've also completed The Shivering Isles main quest line on another Character by 20 hours.
How about other rpg's (or just other great games worth playing)? We've had one mass-effect mention. Any others?
Jedi Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2. I've completed both twice. HK 47 still cracks me up. The only problems with them is that after you've played through them for about the second time, they feel too easy and you expect all the plot twists.

I'll second mass effect. My only complaint about the series is that each game gets part of it all right, but feels a little lacking in other areas.

Deus EX, Human Revolution was also interesting but is more of a hybrid RPG/Shooting/Stealth game and could have done with a little more development time and a better graphics engine.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#12 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Cold Phoenix wrote:
I previously wrote:I've always vocalised that the Elder Scroll games are too large for any mortal coil to actually finish.

I'm impressed :shock: , but are you really sure you've spent that much time on the Elder Scrolls games? My main Oblivion Character has 100 hours of game time on him but, I'd completed the main quest line, mage guild, The Knights of the Nine expansion, fighters guild, most of the thieves guild, 20-30 oblivion gates, most of the Daedric quests and more dungeons then I can remember. I've also completed The Shivering Isles main quest line on another Character by 20 hours.
Actually, I think I may have underestimated quite a bit...
Morrowind I (along with my bru) competitively played against each other exclusively for around 6-8 hrs a day for around 2 years.
By the time I started Oblivion, I had a family and so would play that all night in between feedings and cuddles, and played about 80% of the time I had free for video games. All up until a new Halo was released or Bioshock ect, so finished a new game swiftly and got straight back into Elder Scrolls, until Skyrim was released.

I should mention that I worked at EB Games so I had a good inlet to get new games etc, and played quite a lot back then.

To add, a fair portion of each time would be spent crafting, exploring, ect, I think most of my recent time would've been spent inside random dungeons, just finishing every cave I came across.
For instance, my Alchemy, Enchanting and Smithing skills within Skyrim are Legendary once, while I have stockpiled enough items to finish the skills again at least twice when I want.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#13 Post by Prince of Spires »

I have no idea how much time I've put into either Morrowind or Skyrim. Too many hours to actually count them. Though I must say it's nowhere near 3500 or even 1500.

With Morrowind I've only finished the Mage guild quest line I think. I've almost finished the main storyline, the blades one and made a decent dent in the fighters guild one and the thieves guild one. The problem as mentioned is that at some point I just lose track of where I have to go for which quest. Which is especially a problem if you have multiple quests going on.

With Skyrim, I've managed to finish the main storyline and the mage guild one. I've almost finished the dark brotherhood storyline and the Blades storyline. Problem with the blades one is that I so far haven't felt like killing that dragon at the end of it. I've put in some legwork for the thievesguild, the bards and the Companions. I haven't started on the civil war yet as I'm not sure which side to pick.

Mass effect seems to have quite a following here as well. What is it about mass effect that's so good? (I have no idea, I've never played it).

Rod

Check out my plog

Tetengo

#14 Post by Tetengo »

Since mass effect is one of my favourite series of all time I guess I'll weigh in here. Whereas a game like Skyrim is all about your character going around saving the world by completing quests, and doing stuff, mass effect is more about the interaction between your character and others while you do that stuff. Since the main character is fully voice acted he or she really comes to life in a way that isn't seen in games without so much dialogue like ESO. Often in RPGs this leads to a very scripted story, and admittedly ME is so much more linear than ESO, but the dialogue choices on offer really make it feel like it's your character, and your story.

The world that ME lives in is one of my favourite SciFi universes because Bioware put so much effort into bringing it to life. There is so much backstory, and everything, even down to the physics of futuristic space combat is pretty well fleshed out in the codex available in game.

I've also never played a series where the secondary characters are brought to life so well. They're all fantastically voiced, and pretty much all have good back stories and fantastic interactions with the main character. The overarching story is pretty clichéd (but then I guess what RPG isn't nowadays?), but it's the characters in that story that really made me fall in love with it. This is in my opinion the best part about ME. Whereas in ESO games you're basically alone apart from the odd companion that'll follow you around, in ME you have a whole team of 6+ members to get to know and interact with, and I love them all (especially Garrus).

If you like SciFi and RPGs it's an absolute must have, no question. The combat is probably its weakest part, but it gets sort of better and sort of dumbed down in the second two games, and it's definitely not bad enough to make it not worth playing.

In summary, everyone should play Mass Effect.

In addition to this, Dragon Age is a pretty good RPG too, it's sort of like Mass Effect in its emphasis on characters, but a bit more old school (supposedly the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, which I never played). Unfortunately the second isn't very good at all. But the third is coming out this year and looks fantastic. I'll also echo the suggestion of Knights of the Old Republic, as that's fantastic too. Basically play anything Bioware makes, and you can't go too far wrong.
[i][color=#0080BF]"O Isha, here I stand, on the last shore, a sword in my hand, Ulthuan shall never fall!"[/color][/i]
Knight of the Raven

#15 Post by Knight of the Raven »

I'd say Mass Effect 3 has the best gameplay out of the three games, and the lack of these blasted minigames certainly helps. I preferred the variety of enemies from Mass Effect 2 though, even if it had the worst minigames; you had at least six different factions... whereas in the third game you only had three. A fourth if you have the Citadel DLC, and even then only in the arena.

There's a whole lot of missed potential in Mass Effect 3, and I'm not (only) taking about the endings; let's just say I hope you don't like Morinth too much.

Still my favorite game though, but considering how the team handled the end of the trilogy (not to mention the blatant fanservice polluting the games), I won't actually recommend it to anyone. Like Dragon Age II.

But to go back to the original topic, Oblivion is the only Elder Scrolls where I got 100 everywhere. I didn't in Morrowind. Speaking of which, I barely explored Vvardenfell whereas I explored all of Cyrodiil. However, after playing Skyrim, Oblivion was an even bigger chore than Fallout 3 after New Vegas. I trudged through Shivering Isles out of completionism and well... I wasn't impressed. The only thing Oblivion has over Skyrim is the lack of spell creation; I can't invent a fireball that sends mud crabs fifty meters into the air anymore.

That I don't have to worry about statistics is my favorite thing about Skyrim.

Also, Oblivion is horribly generic after playing Morrowind. You go from a completely alien world to daemon-infested Europeanfolkloreland #15. Skyrim is only slightly less so, since it's dragon-infested Vikingland #4.

N.B. edited out the Mass Effect spoilers.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#16 Post by Prince of Spires »

Statistics in which sense?

I do agree that the other-worldliness of Morrowind was great. Probably one of the things I liked best about the game. What I didn't like about morrowind was how bloody hard it was to regain health / magica. Somehow I found myself lugging huge amounts of potions around. And even then I had to keep sleeping after walking around for a bit and killing some stuff just to regain it.

What was bad about Oblivion after Skyrim (or at least, why was it a chore)?

After all the positive comments here I do feel I should have a look at Mass Effect 3, even though I'm probably more a fantasy then a SciFi person.

I did do a quick search for Dragon Age 3. And I must say that the previews for that look promising. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for that one.

Rod

Check out my plog

Knight of the Raven

#17 Post by Knight of the Raven »

rdghuizing wrote:Statistics in which sense?
Strength, endurance, luck... I was bit by the minmax bug very soon with Morrowind and even though it gives a goal to achive, it also makes every playthrough that much more artificial. I don't have to worry about that in Skyrim.
I do agree that the other-worldliness of Morrowind was great. Probably one of the things I liked best about the game. What I didn't like about morrowind was how bloody hard it was to regain health / magica. Somehow I found myself lugging huge amounts of potions around. And even then I had to keep sleeping after walking around for a bit and killing some stuff just to regain it.
I rushed through my last playthrough with cheats since I was only interested in getting the Hlaalu stronghold. Skyrim has the advantage of everything being replenished.
What was bad about Oblivion after Skyrim (or at least, why was it a chore)?
The persuasion and lockpicking minigames, and outdated - at least to me - shortcuts; I love the 'one mouse button = one hand = one action' mechanics from Skyrim. Probably other things too, I've not played it in a long time.
After all the positive comments here I do feel I should have a look at Mass Effect 3, even though I'm probably more a fantasy then a SciFi person.

I did do a quick search for Dragon Age 3. And I must say that the previews for that look promising. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for that one.
You might like Dragon Age: Origins better then. Even though some things feel like Bioware ripped Warhammer off, they did show originality with elves; they're beyond a dying race, the humans nearly wiped them out and enslaved the survivors for so long that they lost their immortality.

It's got the good dialogue choices too, as opposed to the Mass Effect dialogue wheel and the even worse one from Dragon Age II. It's not Compassionate/Neutral/Mean (or the undecipherable, barely descriptive rubbish from DAII) unlike those games. (Incidentally, the neutral option disappeared in Mass Effect 3 and all Paragon/Renegade charm options lead to the same result, as opposed to the first game.)

This has a price though, since the protagonist isn't voiced.