New Video Game in Development - Mordhiem-style Dungeon Crawl

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Rajmahal

New Video Game in Development - Mordhiem-style Dungeon Crawl

#1 Post by Rajmahal »

Hi guys,

I wanted to just let you know of a game that I'm developing. It will be released on Windows 8 followed by other platforms such as Steam, Mac, etc. It is a turn-based strategy game where players build a team of 6 adventurers and fights his way through a long quest. It plays a lot like Mordheim as you have to build a team of warriors from a large pool of potential character classes and have them work together to be most effective. The final build will have 18 possible character types to choose from. The game is hex-based and each turn, the player can have each of his warriors move and either perform a special action (such as casting a spell or special attack) or a basic attack. There is a cover system so positioning units behind cover is an important aspect of the game and I'm working on integrating different height levels and adding advantages for attacking from a higher position.

Here is a screenshot of a very early build. I will post playable demo levels here as well so that anyone who is interested can give me feedback based on playing some levels.

Imagegame picture by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

On terms of release date, it's still very much up in the air but I hope to have it released before the end of the year. I'm doing it as a hobby and I have my second child due this year so I can't really commit to a firm deadline. Anyway, as I post more ... I would welcome all feedback.
John Rainbow

Re: New Video Game in Development - Mordhiem-style Dungeon Crawl

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Looks interesting. Keep the post updated. You do know also that GW is releasing a Mordheim game? Not that it is likely to be the same.
Rajmahal

#3 Post by Rajmahal »

Yeah, I had heard. But to be honest, it's not a concern since my game isn't taking anything from Mordheim. The only similarities are that it's turn-based and uses a group of experience-gaining heroes instead of a lone hero. You can think of it like turn-based team Diablo, if you like. I'd say the only game it really borrows heavily from is the latest XCOM game .... so I think the best description would be XCOM in a fantasy setting but without all the base-building and UFO's.

I'll definitely post updates. At the moment, I'm just putting the finishing touches on another game that I should be releasing this week on the Windows 8 store. After that, I'll be working on this project until it's released.
Jimmy
Centurion

#4 Post by Jimmy »

Good luck with this, looks sensational so far. Please keep us updated! :)
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looking impressive. Do you do all the graphics stuff and programming yourself? Are you using any development tools / game engines?

I'm curious what goes into creating such a lovely looking game :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Rajmahal

#6 Post by Rajmahal »

Thanks for your interest. I'm using Unity 4.3 Professional as my game engine. Unity is a fairly decent game engine but has quite a few limitations and is fairly expensive. If I were to start today, I would use the much more powerful and more reasonably priced Unreal 4 engine that was released recently. However, now that Unity has some real competition, they appear to be trying to raise their game.

As for graphics, music and sound, I'm purchasing the license to use them in my game from the individual artist. It's not terribly expensive ... but you do need a lot of objects to make a full featured game so it does add up over time. Typically a nice 3d model such as one of those shown in the screenshot above with a good library of animations costs between $15 to $30. Some will cost a lot more than that but I don't find those more expensive ones to be worth it.

I'm primarily a programmer / game designer so I handle the programming. However, if you're more of a 3d artist, you could make games by purchasing the core of an existing game and adding your graphics to it. I've been working on it in my spare time for the past 3 years to learn the tools and such. I should be releasing my first game this month which is a tomb raider style action game with a girl fighting against hordes of undead and demons. After that, I'll be working on this turn-based Xcom / diable style game, which is already around 50% done. When that one is done (hopefully before the end of the year), I'm going to take the core code of the turn-based dungeon game and use it to make a 40k style turn-based strategy game. After that ... I'll probably move from Unity to Unreal engine unless Unity really improve their engine.
Rajmahal

#7 Post by Rajmahal »

Hi guys,

Quick update ... I managed to finally release my first game, which is an action game called Gun Frenzy. It's a PC game released on the Windows Store and involves two girls trying to escape a demonic plane filled with undead, demons and dragons. Feel free to check it out and let me know your thoughts:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/g ... af94d4de78

I'm now focusing back on the original game I mentioned above. Just working through some technical kinks at the moment but once I get those ironed out, I'll post regular updates on my progress. By the way, many of the monsters used in Gun Frenzy will make a re-appearance in my Mordhiem / XCOM style game.

I'm also looking for a name for my next game. It involves heroes going into a dungeon to fight a demon so I was thinking "Demon's Bane", but I think that name is taken for an upcoming novel. Any ideas?
Rajmahal

#8 Post by Rajmahal »

Also, the web site for the game company is www.wavelightgames.com

Let me know what you think of the site layout and such. I don't have much web design experience so I tried to stick to a fairly common template.
Oranion

Re: New Video Game in Development - Mordhiem-style Dungeon C

#9 Post by Oranion »

How goes the work on your Mordheim game? I would love to playtest for you if you're at that point. I love turn based strategy games and I have some experience playing hex-based ones as well. I have played through Battle for Wesnoth several times over, and I must say the screenshot you posted puts that to shame. Well done! =D>
Rajmahal

#10 Post by Rajmahal »

I actually am in the final play test stages now. Pm if you'd like to be help. Though I may actually release the game in a month so might be a bit late for external play testing.

I'll post more info here soon about it. The game looks way better than that early screen shot. :D
Rajmahal

#11 Post by Rajmahal »

Hi guys,

Just wanted to post up some fresh pictures of the game. It will be called "Demons Rise: Conquest of the Deep" and tells the story of a mercenary band as they work for a dwarf prince trying to reclaim an ancient, underground dwarf city. The gameplay is turn-based and there are heavy RPG elements (character progression, magic equipment, etc.) as well as tactical elements found in most tabletop war-games (cover, spells / abilities that affect nearby units, template attacks, etc.). Something like if warhammer and XCOM got together and had a baby.

Here are some screen shots. There are 24 playable characters to choose from when building your war band of 6 heroes. There are 67 levels and more to be added in the form of free updates after release. It will be hitting IOS (iPhone and iPad), Android, Amazon, Windows 8 / 10 and Windows Phone. Later in the year, I'll release a graphically updated version for PC and Mac.

ImageScreen Shot 2015-06-26 at 1.07.22 PM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

ImageScreen Shot 2015-06-30 at 10.47.41 AM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

ImageScreen Shot 2015-07-02 at 10.14.54 AM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Let me know what you think and if you'd like to play test on an iOS device, let me know and I'll send you the game via Apple Test Flight.