New Eldar book review

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Csjarrat

New Eldar book review

#1 Post by Csjarrat »

hi guys,
thought i'd share my thoughts with you on the book from a gamers perspective (not a tournie player by any means)
i got my first game in over the weekend and had the chance to try out the following:

Spiritseer got doom and fortune
x2 warlocks (one on jetbike, both got conceal)

x10 scorps, ex with claw (infiltrating)

x10 DA's, ex with shimmer, serpent
x10 DA's, ex with shimmer, serpent
x5 wraths, D-cannons, serpent with lances
x3 jetbikes, one cannon (cheap scorers)
x5 rangers (cheap scorers)

Prism with holo
x3 shadoweaver platforms (conceal lock here)

i played against a nilla marine player rolling many tac squads and headed by a chaplain + sternguard squad.@ 1500.
it was a solid win, with me getting 1 objective with avengers, wrathguard contesting another, linebreaker and firstblood.
artillery was brilliant, shelled units on objectives all game either pinning them or causing panic tests for casualties.
it cleared one objective on its own and was very resilient to fire, impressed for 90pts!

so onto the book review:

Characters:
Special characters have never been my specialty as they tend to be banned round my area, however i can safely say that none of the new special characters jump out as auto-takes.
for the most part they over-priced and bring little to an army that couldnt otherwise be achieved for less price through other choices.
the exception to this is nightspear, for unlocking pathfinders who at 70 skaven slaves isnt a terrible buy if you are into snipers in a big way.
pathfinders are ungodly expensive however, but they should be able to rip the teeth out of most squads by picking away seargants and special weapons.

Eldrad is more expensive than 2 farseers, and the double farseers would do a better job. he can regain a charge point after casting on a 5+ which is dandy though. can still re-deploy units pre-game

Yriel, meh. took a nerf. his eye-bomb isnt too great thanks to the new 6thed pile-in rules, he'll have to wait till 2nd round of cc to use it most effectively.

Pheonix lords
for the most part these guys are far too expensive and bring little if anything to the board:
Asurmen, 4++ and a decent power sword. D3 eldar traits is OK, but i think for the points i'd just put in an autarch with the new shard of anaris instead. it should free up 120pts that way!

Jain is not that great either, she does make her unit +1 run, so in a banshee squad they get +4 to run moves, however, its not like you're going to be taking banshees anyway given how difficult they are to get into CC.

Karandras is a beast, he is about the only one i'd really take, but at well over 200pts he's for massive games only i'm afraid.

Fuegan seems daft to me. if you want dual firing melta that is good in CC, take the cheaper and better Avatar of Khaine.

Baharroth, again, brings little to the fight for the points. he could make hawks a credible threat in CC with hit n run and a kitted exarch to back him up, but i think spiders and autarch do that better + cheaper tbh.

Maugan ra, No. just No.
terrible synergy with reapers as usual. no invul. just take a kitted autarch with reaper launcher if you really must.

as far as i can tell, these guys are not restricted to only joining their aspects now which could open up USR shenanigans if you are so inclined...

Generic HQ
Avatar, can take exarch powers (most suck or cost a fortune) as an upgrade. fast shot for his melta is the obvious pick here (2 BS10 melta shots is tasty). he is expensive, got better stats in CC but dropped a pip of invul save to compensate (thanks daemon rule)

Autarch. i wanna play test this guy. he has access to the remnants of glory list which opens up some new options for him (i like the shard of anaris). his biggest problem on foot was always his lack of high strength power weapons for combat, and he didnt bring in much in terms of strategy outside of riding in with shining spears. he is still excellent with spears as a source of many attacks, but i think the new wargear section should make him more playable as an infantry leader too. his reserves rule remains, he can +/-1 to reserves rolls which is nice for the new fighters, jump infantry and outflankers.
the shard of anaris gives him +2S and rending so all those tasty attacks he brings can be put to good use. he gets better in challenges too, as he picks up fearless, instant death and fleshbane.
I can see him being used as an infantry leader with warp spiders or dire avengers and taking on challenges. his basic kit is decent too, starting with 3+/4++ with the full assortment of eldar grenades.
a lack of PGL ability/equipment for him seems like a missed opportunity given how shitty banshees have just become though.

Farseer. the big boy. mastery 3 for same price as a chaplain is tasty. bike is very cheap and a worthy investment for the pip of T and 3+
runes are one use only and nerfed massively. obviously has to roll for powers too. divination/telepathy/runes of fate are all his options.
he can also take remnants of glory, but the only one you'd use would be the spirit stones of anathlan. they allow you to reduce charge 2 powers to charge 1 cost, at the expense of your invul save. very handy if you're on a bike as the 3+ and jink compensate for this.

Spiritseer. bargain basement farseer, but makes wraithguard/blades troops. 35 skaven slaves seals the deal for a mastery 2 psyker (telepathy/runes of battle). he can take remnants too. keep him cheap and in a unit. runes of battle primaris is conceal, so he is best keeping troopers alive in the backfield.

Warlocks, not technically a HQ slot as they dont take any slots at all. buy as many as you want (up to 10) split them off for other units as you need and roll for psychic powers before you assign them to units.
not that great tbh, they're pretty limited in what they can join (guardians/jetbikes/artillery) and have to roll to cast @ LD8. nice to have cover saves on artillery, and guardian defenders will def appreciate the help when in cover (20man in walls with conceal up is nice) but not a must take at all. can only generate from runes of battle

Troops
let me just say now that all exarch powers suck except for night vision + fast shot and cost a fortune. most are not worth looking at.

Dire avengers. more expensive, but shurikens got a lot better vs infantry.
annoyingly, the exarch is now not going to contribute to shooting and lost the excellent defend and bladestorm powers. his powers only affect him, and as such probably shouldnt be taken. i would go for shimmershield everytime here. power swords are always good and the 5++ applies all the time, not just in CC. its pricey, but hey its a 5++ save for your full unit.

Guardians, still die like flies when introduced to a flamer, but can take two weapons per 20man team. they are now BS4 and can actually hit with those weapon platforms. for some bizarre reason EML's cost a fortune in this 'dex, so the lance and scatter laser are the better choices. stick a conceal lock in here and put them on an objective in cover. shuriken boosts applies here too, but they are still 12" range, so dont get too excited and leave cover for long!!! battle focus means they can move into range, shoot and run into cover again which is nice.

Stormies, not a bad way of getting cheaper melta onto the board. BS4 here too and scoring with battle focus makes this a more useful version of fire dragons, though dont let them get flamed/shot/looked at funny.
can take 2 power swords and come with plasma grenades so received a substantial boost for their +1pt increase

Jetbikes, auto-take.
3 for a shade over 50pts. T4, 3+, 36" turbo boost. BS4 rending guns? JSJ moves? 'nuff said.

Rangers, considerably shitter, considerably cheaper. take 5-10 and camp on objectives. get better with serious psyker support but i see these as a cheap scoring unit more than anything.

Wave serpent:
just became insane. became BS4, and weapon options dropped to bargain basement prices. (TL BL for 5pts??? woot?)
shield drops pens to glances 5/6 of the time and can be used another gun too!!!. with jink, holofields and a liberal dose or "fortune" this became unkillable

Elites
Banshees: No. Just No.
1) no grenades. (WTF GW, stormies get them, but not the premier assault troops??)
2) no assault transport.
3) mask means strike simultaneously with enemies in cover.
cheaper, can run +3" but still unplayable really.

Scorpions: YES
now have fleet, move through cover, infiltrate and stealth as standard. grenades and battlefocus. exarch can take the claw which isnt unwieldy anymore. S6 I6 AP2 attacks anyone? inflitrate/outflank means dont need transport. do like these guys!!!

Dragons: Not really. still massive overkill against most tanks. have got heavier armour and battlefocus so less of a suicide unit, but i'd rather take scoring options like melta stormies or wraithguard for this role.
exarch with pike and fast shot is nice however.

Harlies: yep, lots of flip-flopping on how shadowseer works, now rolls to activate power @ LD9 and is back to the original night fighting x2D6 roll rather than shrouded and stealth. harlies havent changed otherwise.

Wraithguard/Blades: YES
realistically you're going to take a spiritseer and take these guys as troops.
i feel a bit miffed that you cant spec these guys like termies. i think a mix/match approach would help a lot to sweeten the expensive deal with these guys. as it stands, all models have to take wraithcannons/d-scythes/swords/axes. in a shooting unit, 3 with cannons and 2 with scythes would make them so much more flexible. they cant though, so my pick is the original and best: cannon. S10 AP2. take 5 in a serpent, disembark, melt something and then go scoring/contesting.
scythes are brutal for infantry clearing though!!!
i'm not sold on the combat units, they suffer the same problem as banshees, but can at least take a kicking for a turn before thy get fighting, but S6 AP3 attacks are nothing to sniff at. they'll still lose to mobs however.

Fast Attack
Hawks: YEP. they now don't scatter and grenades ignore cover. use them to bomb tau gunlines. they have to shoot at the target they bombed, but you can place them in such a way that they dont have LOS so they can shoot other stuff too. guns got better, they got cheaper. like it! can tool for light combat too, thanks to plasma grenades, assault 3 guns and optional hit n run and power weapon on exarch if needed.

Spiders: HELL YES
jet pack now, so can be nice and safe. can still super jump if need it. come with hit and run, battle focus and S6 pseudo rending guns that are S7 against vehicles and low Ini troopers. nice.
good place for a melta gun and shard of anaris toting autarch i think!

Fighter/Bomber:
Fighter=maybe, bomber=no
if you face lots of enemy flyers, the fighter is a good call. vector dancer, re-rolls to hit on flyers and a stack of lance shots would work nicely. if you dont, they are both very expensive and wont do that much otherwise. they are really fragile too!!

Vypers: YES
gun options got much much cheaper, squadron rules are better, BS4 and free jink saves for moving mean this is a great little gun platform.
scatter lasers and Scannon upgrade works nicely thanks to laser lock rule (twin linking weapons if scatter laser hits first) for infantry shredding, but i see these guys as a good BL platform. can take holofields to boost the jink save too but gets expensive.

Shining Spears: YES
Addressed old-book concerns with low model count by capping at 9 now.
Get the skilled rider power free, but have to buy hit and run for the exarch. can outflank for free. no grenades and low attacks mean these guys either need numbers or autarch support. will not hurt much in round 2 of CC. cheaper though! good unit for outflanking and sorting out rear armour or picking off lone devastator squads and objective campers.

Heavy Support
Reapers: Yes
Pricey, but versatile; they can take krak missiles now (pinning too). exarch has options to get flakk missiles, fast shot and night vision which would no doubt come in handy if you're expecting the RAF in your next game. no skyfire options for normal troopers though so will waste a lot of shots when firing at aircraft. slow and purposeful so they can shoot and move too.

Artillery: YES
90 points buys you 3 S6 kind-of-rending barrage shots that get better on low Ini troops and vehicles. weapons summary says large blast too which will need FAQ/Errata.
Vibro cannon does more damage with more hits, does multiple hits now and crew are BS4. not hard to get x3 S9 Ap2 shots into something for 90pts which is nice!
D-cannon is mint but more expensive. x3 24" S10 ap2 blasts that multiple barrage. shiny. crew also have grenades and rending guns if needed.

Prism: yep
changed the weapon profiles around a bit. x3 firing modes from large blast, through to lance mode, so can deal with all types of threats. holofields are a must as no serpent shield but still a very good multi-role tank.

Spinner: maybe
if you're loading up on melta/D-weapons/lances in Troops + FA this could work nicely, but i think the support weapon battery is the better call as it can't be one-shotted or stunned/shaken etc.

Falcon: no.
hasn't gained anything. just stick bright lances on your serpents for 5pts and forget your warm fuzzy DAVU memories.

War walkers: yep
can be another AA platform but cost a metric ton as for some bizzare reason, EML's are a fortune in this book. flakk aint cheap either and only works on one rocket pod per purchase.
they have battle focus, fleet and scouts however so i'd be running these boys in and out of cover and using them for anti-infantry duties.

Wraithlord: maybe
still the same old 'lord, but more expensive. has lower strength, but +1A. sword no longer takes up a weapon slot and weapons can be duplicated without becoming twinlinked. weapons now cheaper too. i like the look of x2 lances, x2 flamers and a glaive but its a shade less than 170pts. so i'd probably just keep him cheap and support the troops.

Wraithknight: maybe
hugely expensive for x2 S10 guns as default. very tough and lots of wounds. pretty mobile, but no invul. i dont think it'd take DE or nids very long to poison their way past his measly 3+ save (my dark eldar have no problems shredding 6 wounds of marines at all). becomes much more expensive to get an invul and lose BOTH anti tank guns to do it.
best he can get is a multiple blast S6 gun with that load out, but eldar dont need to pay nearly 300pts for more S6 shooting. shoulder mounted guns are a fortune, and he cant use them unless he paid to lose both guns for a sword and shield.
cant see the point in this guy, he's the eldar equivalent of the "big dick" syndrome.
in low point games he becomes insane though and could easily dominate an opponent without poison weapons or much ranged AP3+ weaponry.

hope you enjoyed my wall of text, let me know of any erros or omissions. i'd love to hear your thoughts on the new book and experiences with it in-game.
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Marinero

Re: New Eldar book review

#2 Post by Marinero »

Nice summary, thank you
Selvhan

#3 Post by Selvhan »

I think that this codex give you a lot of good option to field.

The war Walker seem to be pretty good.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/Selvhan/Signature.jpg[/img]
With tall lance held to our foe's throat,
Cold fury guiding our aim,
We are death upon the wind.
Csjarrat

#4 Post by Csjarrat »

walkers are very very good. they can't take much of a beating due to AV10, but they can really dish out the pain when kitted with x2 scatter lasers each!, its their ability to move, fire + run with fleet re-rolls that's the best though. infantry won't be able to catch them in combat, only bikers and cavalry stand a chance!
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Chracian

#5 Post by Chracian »

Nice run down. It's probably worth pointing out that while there are lots of playable options, it's still best sticking to one type of army (I want to say aspect here, but that would be confusing!) - mech or foot. As ever, too few infantry models will be targeted by anti infantry guns, whereas too few tanks will suffer all the anti tank weapons. Fortunately, the new codex makes both options more than viable.

What are your opinions of the Iyanden supplement? It doesn't seem auto-win but looks good for ghost armies (which might be quite handy considering the Christmas box).

Have you tried mantle of the laughing god autarch? Also looks an interesting option.

Rangers are working out well for me as well, 30ss points that has to be killed or concede an objective. 2 x 5 squads are a small investment.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Csjarrat

#6 Post by Csjarrat »

not played directly with the iyanden book. from what i gather from the other guys at the club who use it, it doesnt really change the core mechanics much apart from boosting foot units of wraithguard.
most people seem to think its decent, but doesnt break the game which is nice.

as for the autarch, i've never been a fan of solo characters. I see characters as basically a replacement of dedicated assault units for us now. with the change in balance of combat -> shooting gradually changing from 4th to 6th, i cant normally justify taking dedicated assault units (shining spears aside 'cos they're awesome) in a T3 army than has much better shooting options and no assault transports.
I bunker my autarch down in spiders/avengers/shining spears (when i do take them) and use him to mop up depleted units.
i'm kinda interested in one, but i tend to play against tau quite a bit, so he'd just be free VP against them. have you tried him? how did he do?

yup, like rangers. they dont normally do much, but are helpful against tau as their LD is so low. they did plink a rending wound off a riptide last game and finished it off which was handy.
i like them most in wraith heavy lists as i always struggled to get enough troops in. 25.5ss jetbikes and 30ss rangers fixed that.

the only unit i've been pretty underwhelmed with has been guardians. i still struggle justifying their points but i might try 20 with x2 platforms + conceal-lock and see how they get on.
Icarion

#7 Post by Icarion »

thanks a lot for posting that eldar stuff. eldar is one of the armies i own and i really like their fluff, their (imho best looking 40k) tanks and last but not least those awesome aspect warriors! scorpions, firedragons and warpspiders are my favourites, i still miss the times where FDs had real meltaguns and enemy generals had their pants full, when they arrived at close range. you could be sure, that everything tried to be outside of 12inch radius of those guys! :evil: at these times they had 3+ armour (like marines), to make it short, they were FIREDRAGONS and no wannabe´s with pepperspray, you just HAD to fear them! :wink:
i did not play 40k for at least 7 years now, i had a real hate on that stuff, when they (among others) messed up FDs with their shitty fusiongun or whatever that bullshit was called. now i have a bit of a hope, that things are better!
scorpions always have been CC-monsters. at least that stayed!
spiders were funny imp-shredders (jump-in, kill 20imps, jump out... could do that all day :mrgreen: ), but they were also nerved. maybe i will buy a codex in that edition, i just need to get someone to play with and some spare money for all that projects... :wink:
Caledor for life!
Csjarrat

#8 Post by Csjarrat »

Icarion wrote:thanks a lot for posting that eldar stuff. eldar is one of the armies i own and i really like their fluff, their (imho best looking 40k) tanks and last but not least those awesome aspect warriors! scorpions, firedragons and warpspiders are my favourites, i still miss the times where FDs had real meltaguns and enemy generals had their pants full, when they arrived at close range. you could be sure, that everything tried to be outside of 12inch radius of those guys! :evil: at these times they had 3+ armour (like marines), to make it short, they were FIREDRAGONS and no wannabe´s with pepperspray, you just HAD to fear them! :wink:
i did not play 40k for at least 7 years now, i had a real hate on that stuff, when they (among others) messed up FDs with their shitty fusiongun or whatever that bullshit was called. now i have a bit of a hope, that things are better!
scorpions always have been CC-monsters. at least that stayed!
spiders were funny imp-shredders (jump-in, kill 20imps, jump out... could do that all day :mrgreen: ), but they were also nerved. maybe i will buy a codex in that edition, i just need to get someone to play with and some spare money for all that projects... :wink:
people do pap their pants when firedragons jump out a serpent next to a landraider. a fusion gun is a melta gun, just renamed! the problem with them is they are really high target priority, short range and deadly. they tend to be massive overkill against most tanks (dont need melta against a rhino chassis) and cost a lot of points to kill one tank and then die in the retaliation.
i think they're best in apocalypse taking out superheavies tbh.

spiders are awesome, they lay down masses of S6/7 fire with pseudo-rending. they are jetpack so can jump-shoot-jump and teleport vast distances. the 3+ keeps them safe too.
they are super deadly and my opponents know to murder them first!
Icarion

#9 Post by Icarion »

Csjarrat wrote: people do pap their pants when firedragons jump out a serpent next to a landraider. a fusion gun is a melta gun, just renamed!
as i played 40k, meltaguns were S8, D6 wound weapons. then they did this "new" stuff with the AP rules and armour rolls no longer modified and firedragons got their fusion S6 1wound shit, so the best they could one-hit was imp-bosses with T3.
if there´s still that rule, that you can one-shot-kill a character that has half the T of your weapons S, it would be nice, when they got back their S8 meltaguns, so they can blow up marine-lords and orc-bosses with one shot! :mrgreen:
Caledor for life!
Csjarrat

#10 Post by Csjarrat »

Icarion wrote:
Csjarrat wrote: people do pap their pants when firedragons jump out a serpent next to a landraider. a fusion gun is a melta gun, just renamed!
as i played 40k, meltaguns were S8, D6 wound weapons. then they did this "new" stuff with the AP rules and armour rolls no longer modified and firedragons got their fusion S6 1wound shit, so the best they could one-hit was imp-bosses with T3.
if there´s still that rule, that you can one-shot-kill a character that has half the T of your weapons S, it would be nice, when they got back their S8 meltaguns, so they can blow up marine-lords and orc-bosses with one shot! :mrgreen:
yeah instant death is still a rule. melta guns are S8, AP1 so are deadly to most models in the game. they get to roll 2d6 for armour penetration at 1/2 range too, (6" for most melta rule weapons, 9" for the firepike exarch)
they really are a lethal unit, but like i said, total overkill against most things. the boost to 3+ saves and battle focus means they're a bit more survivable and useful but they're still better titan killers than rhino killers. for the cost.
Icarion

#11 Post by Icarion »

praised be khaine that he gave his wisdom to those GW guys, who wrote that codex! [-o<

ok, they are primary target for most opponents, but if you dont use them, some other unit will be primary target. at least you know, that if your opponent fucuses on the FDs, other units can do their work.
Caledor for life!
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#12 Post by Domine Nox »

I personally am a fan of the Iyanden Supplement as I've always wanted to do the all Wraith thing, and now can without the old set backs of Wraithsight. Plus all the weapons that the Wraith bring to the table are wonderful for making your opponent choose wisely what he is going to shoot at. Want a whole army with AP2 weapons? Wraith obliges. Want some of those to be templates for wall or death? Wraith obliges? Blast? Wraith obliges. The downside is you end up relying heavily on your toughness value since my wraith army for example is 21 models total, haha. But you're tough as nails, going Iyanden gives you battle focus on Wraithguard, Wraithlords, and Wraithknight. So the Wraithknight can move 12", run, and shoot or shoot and run. Plus against armor you have high Strength attacks shooting or melee, as well as the Distort rule for auto-pen.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
John Rainbow

#13 Post by John Rainbow »

I am a big fan of the Iyanden supplement too. Unfortunately for me though I play Dark Eldar a lot and they pretty much render Wraith units unplayable with all the poison (4+) flying around. I still base any list I play around the Iyanden supplement though as it only adds options, it doesn't take anything away at all.
Icarion

#14 Post by Icarion »

John Rainbow wrote: I still base any list I play around the Iyanden supplement though as it only adds options, it doesn't take anything away at all.
okeeey... so where´s the downpart in that? or is it just positive news you get?

personally i would like a mix of many things in that army, based on firedragons, scorpions and warpspiders, basic troop section filled up with guardians and maybe one unit of rangers, while the rest could be one or two tanks and those new, awesome-looking wraith-guard/lords/knights/whatever.
warlocks and seers are also very nice, but i think first i will concentrate on my highelves to give the army some solid finishing point and then think about 40k.
Caledor for life!
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#15 Post by Domine Nox »

The main reason not to do Iyanden all the time is because of the Warlord traits. The Iyanden traits very clearly favor Wraith, while the regular Eldar traits are more generic. If you don't plan to field at least 3+ things with Wraith in their name you're better off going with plain Eldar.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
John Rainbow

#16 Post by John Rainbow »

I'm not sure I agree on that one. I think the Iyanden traits are better either way as the regular book has a couple of useless ones too.
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#17 Post by Domine Nox »

But if you're not wraith and you get extra spirit mark?

John Rainbow

#18 Post by John Rainbow »

But that's the only one that is not useful. In the reg. codex the last 2 (roll 5 or 6) are both very situational - not completely useless though I'll admit. FYI they are no scatter on deepstrike and warlord can split fire. Both of these rules aren't really that useful for your Farseer who is usually at the back of the board with a shuri-pistol. Who deep strikes with Eldar these days? Hawks don't scatter anyway and everything else tends to start on the board.
Csjarrat

#19 Post by Csjarrat »

John Rainbow wrote:But that's the only one that is not useful. In the reg. codex the last 2 (roll 5 or 6) are both very situational - not completely useless though I'll admit. FYI they are no scatter on deepstrike and warlord can split fire. Both of these rules aren't really that useful for your Farseer who is usually at the back of the board with a shuri-pistol. Who deep strikes with Eldar these days? Hawks don't scatter anyway and everything else tends to start on the board.
i've found both quite useful as i tend not to use a farseer (when he's meched up he cant really cast much). with the wraithknight being jump monstrous and my fondness for warpspiders, the deepstrike ability has been quite handy a couple of times. doesnt benefit hawks, but thats not an issue really.

the splitfire can be handy for an autarch, i tend to give him a melta gun or something handy like that. its not a game breaker by any means but its better by miles than some of the BRB traits!
Icarion

#20 Post by Icarion »

is there only one supplement like that Iyanden-thing or do the other craftworlds get one, too?
Caledor for life!
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#21 Post by Domine Nox »

Icarion wrote:is there only one supplement like that Iyanden-thing or do the other craftworlds get one, too?
The others haven't yet, but they are milking the supplement bandwagon so it is only a matter of time before the others come out. They're up to 1 for Tau (Farsight), 3 for marines (Raukaan, Imperial Fists, and the Ultra one that's on the horizon), 1 for chaos (Black Legion), and 1 for Eldar (Iyanden). I'm pretty sure we can expect others.

Icarion

#22 Post by Icarion »

i heard rumours that some of them will only be released as virtual codex... no book, just things to download, similar to the codex of adeptus merkel... eehrm, sorry, sororitas! :wink: :mrgreen:
Caledor for life!
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#23 Post by Domine Nox »

I'm okay with digital. I prefer hardcover, but a book is a book.

John Rainbow

#24 Post by John Rainbow »

I'd be interested to see what they did with other Eldar craftworlds as all the rules they used to have are in the main codex now. For instance the Ulthwe thing used to be the seer council and storm guardians which are now in there, as is the Saim Han trooper biker squad. Only thing missing as I see it is the court of the young king from Biel Tan.
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#25 Post by Domine Nox »

John Rainbow wrote:I'd be interested to see what they did with other Eldar craftworlds as all the rules they used to have are in the main codex now. For instance the Ulthwe thing used to be the seer council and storm guardians which are now in there, as is the Saim Han trooper biker squad. Only thing missing as I see it is the court of the young king from Biel Tan.
But you could say Iyanden was the Spirit Seer, but they built a whole supplement around it with a few equipment choices, warlord traits, and tiny tweaks. That could easily be done with the other craftworlds too. Like I wouldn't be surprised if Ulthwe got slightly better psykers or guardians (black guardians). Biel-tan should probably get a way to turn a non-troop Aspect warrior into Troops, or make all Aspect Warriors scoring, etc. Always little changes that can be made to give it a sense of identity and unique feel. It doesn't have to be over the top like the marine supplements are doing where you practically get a new codex.

John Rainbow

#26 Post by John Rainbow »

Domine Nox wrote:
John Rainbow wrote:I'd be interested to see what they did with other Eldar craftworlds as all the rules they used to have are in the main codex now. For instance the Ulthwe thing used to be the seer council and storm guardians which are now in there, as is the Saim Han trooper biker squad. Only thing missing as I see it is the court of the young king from Biel Tan.
But you could say Iyanden was the Spirit Seer, but they built a whole supplement around it with a few equipment choices, warlord traits, and tiny tweaks. That could easily be done with the other craftworlds too. Like I wouldn't be surprised if Ulthwe got slightly better psykers or guardians (black guardians). Biel-tan should probably get a way to turn a non-troop Aspect warrior into Troops, or make all Aspect Warriors scoring, etc. Always little changes that can be made to give it a sense of identity and unique feel. It doesn't have to be over the top like the marine supplements are doing where you practically get a new codex.
True enough.
Icarion

#27 Post by Icarion »

Domine Nox wrote:I'm okay with digital. I prefer hardcover, but a book is a book.
i prefer books, as you pay nearly the same price as for digital stuff. at least you can say, you have something in your hands. second point is, i only have a netbook (which i consider as thrown away money, as i rarely use it) and no tablet computer and i wont buy one just cus some lazy GW guys who dont want to print books.

edit: yes, in that point i am very old-school! :mrgreen:
Caledor for life!
Selvhan

#28 Post by Selvhan »

Guys, don't you think that having an all-around is better than a very focused list ?

All wraith army often mean that if your opponent is a little lucky, and if you are a little unlucky you will certainly be torn apart.

For example, if you start 2nd against the Tau, you have a lot of chance to loose a lot of valuable models.

But who don't you are going to say ? :)
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/Selvhan/Signature.jpg[/img]
With tall lance held to our foe's throat,
Cold fury guiding our aim,
We are death upon the wind.
John Rainbow

#29 Post by John Rainbow »

I'm running (@1850):

Farseer(warlord)
Farseer on bike w/mantle

2 x 10 Guardians, Bright Lance Platform
2 x Wave Serpent + SC, Scatters, Holo
2 x 5 Avengers
2 x Wave Serpent + SC, Scatters, Holo
5 Rangers

3 x Viper + 2 SC
6 Swooping Hawks
6 Warp Spiders

3 War Walker + 2 Bright Lance

Its not completely spammy or optimised but I do pretty well with it and almost all of it is painted. I like to think it is pretty all comers although AV13/14 would give me trouble if my walkers don't perform well.
Last edited by John Rainbow on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#30 Post by Domine Nox »

My Wraith List is...

HQ
Spirit Seer (Spear of Teuthlas, Wraithforge Stone)
Wraithseer (D-Cannon)

Troops
5 Wraithguard (D-Scythes)
Wave Serpent (TL Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Holofield, Vectored Engines)
10 Wraithblades (Ghost Axes)

Fast Attack
Crimson Hunter (Exarch)

Heavy Support
Wraithlord (Bright Lance, Scatter Laser, Flamer x2)
Wraithlord (Starcannon, Scatter Laser, Flamer x2, Glaive)
Wraithknight (Suncannon, Scatter Laser)