Campaign day at Warhammer world

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Chracian

Campaign day at Warhammer world

#1 Post by Chracian »

Just returned from an AoS campaign day at Warhammer world. First of all, this was my first visit to WHW, and I was impressed with the place. Nice helpful staff (not pushy at all - I had a few nice chats with the staff about what armies I have and the stuff on display; the black library and FW guys particularly seemed more interested in talking than selling) and the event itself was very well organised.

I know we're all supposed to be cynical about AoS and hate GW but after I eventually navigated Nottingham (no wonder they never found Robin Hood) the first thing I see is a life size rhino! Yes, I knew it existed but seeing it in real life was pretty cool. And yes, I did turn 42 earlier this month.

Anyway, this was a fun campaign day and in the true spirit of AoS. No stupid summoning, nobody bringing ridiculous armies, enjoyable scenarios.

Although a campaign rather than a tournament, there were awards for zombie hunter, best painted and sportsman award. I didn't win anything, but I'll give a bit more detail tomorrow.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Chracian

Re: Campaign day at Warhammer world

#2 Post by Chracian »

The idea of the campaign was that the armies have ventured into the realm of death. Any models slain were brought back on as zombies, with points awarded for zombies killed. You could kill zombies that used to be your models as well. 35 model limit.

I took:
Prince on dragon
Prince on horse
Teclis
5 Reavers
5 Dragon princes
5 Warlocks
2 Bolt throwers
10 Phoenix guard
Frostheart

The first game was a standard pitched battle, but with extra possible death by lightning from the third turn, although barely any models suffered from this. I was facing dwarfs:

Thorek
Runelord
BSB
Lord on shieldbearers
10 Hammerers
10 Irondrakes
10 Quarrellers
Organ gun

This game ended as a draw. The bolt throwers killed the organ gun before it could do too much damage, the prince on his dragon killed all the hammerers and had a good go at thorek before we ran out of time. The phoenix died to the quarrellers without inflicting any damage at all!

A good game, the shields on the dragon princes and princes helped against his shooting. More later.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Chracian

#3 Post by Chracian »

Second game was an ambush scenario. One army set up in the middle of the board and had to escape off the board edges, and the attacker had to stop them. Victory decided by how many models escaped. I was the attacker against a stormcast/undead army:

Manfred on his monster
2 morghasts
Some sort of banshee thing?
Lord relictor
Lord castellant
Knight azyros
2 x 3 prosecutors
2 x 5 liberators
5 indicators
5 paladins

I used the same models as before. He went first and flew a load of stuff near the board edge and did some shooting with little effect. My shooting and magic reduced his unit numbers but didn't finish off any units. Then all my fast stuff got into combat, even the phoenix guard with a good charge roll. The phoenix, dragon princes and dragon finished off their units. I then rolled highest for the next turn and went first, allowing my big hitters to charge into another unit. That was basically it, by the end of the game only Manfred had escaped, the rest of his units either dead or too far away to escape. The game only lasted two turns before we ran out of time.

A minor victory to the high elves! (Or aelfs if you prefer.)
— Terry Pratchett
Chracian

#4 Post by Chracian »

Last battle was basically Watchtower, without units starting in it. I faced slaanesh daemons, which my warlocks weren't too happy about:

Keeper
Some sort of herald
Another sort of herald on steed
Lots of daemonettes
6 fiends
10 seekers

I was a bit concerned as this army could be faster than mine. The seekers got in early against the phoenix, but the bolt throwers and warlocks whittled the keeper down. The chariot ploughed through my reavers but didn't manage to kill off an RBT. At the end of the third turn, my phoenix guard retreated from combat into the watchtower to join the phoenix and dragon. On a dice roll, the game ended there, with a major victory to the old defenders of Ulthuan.

The prince on dragon was amazing, I really enjoyed being able to play this model without being concerned about the prince being shot off. He didn't die in any game and barely lost any wounds. The prince on his steed with the dragon princes re rolling misses was also excellent, especially on the charge with +1 to wound and damage. Keeping the phoenix close to teclis, at least initially, meant he effectively had a 2+ armour save, which with -1 to wound meant he was very survivable (I only worked this out after the first game).

Overall, a most enjoyable day out and highly recommended should they do this sort of thing again.
— Terry Pratchett
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

thanks for the report of your experience. It sounds like you had a great time. I guess the way to a fun campaign is always to have fun with some like minded people in the spirit of the game. Congrats on the results as well. 2 victories and a draw sounds pretty good. How did you think your list performed? Would you change any of it?

I would love to see WHW. It sounds like an impressive place to visit if you like miniatures gaming. And the staff sounds pretty fun too. I always prefer having people who just enjoy chatting about the game and hobby instead of trying to sell me stuff. If I want to buy something, I'll ask... :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Chracian

#6 Post by Chracian »

Cheers Rod, I think this is really what AoS is made for - have some fun with the games. Not that hard core tournament games aren't fun, of course, just not what this game is for, I think.

In terms of the list, I just played models I liked. I actually took loads of other stuff as well, you could change your list for each game, just a 35 model limit, but I didn't bother as I had them out of my case and was getting used to getting the best out of them.

The prince on horse works well with the dragon princes, as he can give them re rolls to hit which is excellent on the charge. The warlocks and phoenix actually work well together. Within 12" of a spell being cast the phoenix gets +1 on his save, and the warlocks can keep up with it. Plus Teclis can get a longer range on his spells so can give the phoenix another +1 from mystic shield. The dragon doesn't really need any synergy, it just eats stuff :D
— Terry Pratchett