My Highborn lore

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
jolinarlorian

My Highborn lore

#1 Post by jolinarlorian »

I wanted some basic AoS fluff for my high elves. Here it is:

In the Realm of Ghyran lies an isle at the heart of a vast inland sea. Here, a group of Highborn have established themselves and endeavour to replicate the splendour of long lost Ulthuan.

These aelves name them selves the Asur, in the fashion of the elves of yore, and their realm is Tol Asura; the Isle of the Asur.

Here a form of theocracy has developed based on the continued worship of Asuryan, chief god of the old elven pantheon whose survival of the End Times is unconfirmed. Upon the highest peeks of Tol Asura the Asur have established a shine to their lost god from which their priestly class, the Anointed, minister. The Anointed do not rule directly, rather they select an agreeable member of the nobility and subject him to a trial by sacred fire, as the Phoenix Kings of old, and crown their chosen the Phoenix Prince, nominal ruler of the Asur though there is little doubt as to where the true power lies.

Both the shrine and the Phoenix Prince are defended by the Phoenix Guard; warrior monks who have sworn a vow of silence and whose ultimate loyalty lies with the Anointed. On more than one occasion in Tol Asura's history the Phoenix Guard have disposed of their charge, dragging a Phoenix Prince back to the Shrine of Asuryan and casting him back into the sacred flames.

It is not only religious institutions that have re-established themselves on Tol Asura, a great college has also been established in the style of Old Hoeth. Students of the White Tower study magic, history, art and swordsmanship. A great body of knowledge has been recovered and housed safely in the White Tower's halls. But, despite the Asur's many achievements Tol Asura is truly only a shadow of Ulthuan at its height.

There is a darker side to these Asur aelves. Their culture has become obsessed with the ideal of racial purity, it is death for any other than a Highborn to set foot on their isle. Great swan-ships patrol their seas and mounted reavers comb their shores to maintain their isolation. Their only contact point with the outside world is the harbour town of Loern, an outpost on the foreign shores of their inland sea, where the Asur trade goods and news with others.

The above said, the Asur are not entirely insular. Asuryan was ever an enemy of chaos and, when called upon, they will ride out from their island hold-fast to assist others in confronting the evil forces that assail the Realm of Ghyran.
gromo

Re: My Highborn lore

#2 Post by gromo »

It's a good start. Now go write 50 more pages lol
Original Dragon Prince

#3 Post by Original Dragon Prince »

Nice to see a shadow of Ulthuan survived. We could sticky this thread and add our own fluff for our armies.

Mine are a grim gathering of those who survived, refugees from the old kingdoms hiding from the sight of the Chaos Gods in the realm of Hysh. Shielded by magical illusions, they rebuild their strength. The mages search constantly through their scrying orbs and pools, seeking any highborn who have been scattered through the realms, dispatching forces to liberate and extract them with surgical strikes. Those who have been brought back are hardened and defiant, filled with a burning desire to avenge themselves upon the Ruinous Powers. Arios, Prince of what once was Caledor, has arisen as their leader. Word has reached him of Sigmar's return, and the coming of the Stormhosts. From his hidden citadel he sends envoys to Azyrheim, pledging his armies to aid the God King in the war to come. He and his followers call themselves The Unbroken, and while one of them lives, Chaos will never claim final victory.
Warhammer, at it's core, is a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. As long as all choices in an army book fall under these categories, with their inherent strengths and weaknesses, there is balance. Imbalance occurs when the designers make a Rock that is immune to Paper. Daemon Princes, Ironblasters, etc.
jolinarlorian

#4 Post by jolinarlorian »

gromo wrote:It's a good start. Now go write 50 more pages lol
Thanks gromo. I'll flesh it out over time, games didn't feel right without some minimal fluff as to why my elves were even on the table.
Original Dragon Prince wrote:The mages search constantly through their scrying orbs and pools, seeking any highborn who have been scattered through the realms, dispatching forces to liberate and extract them with surgical strikes.
SAS elves, I like it :)