AoS Escaltion League w/ Azyr Comp

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Cinncinatti

AoS Escaltion League w/ Azyr Comp

#1 Post by Cinncinatti »

Hi All,
I’m in an AoS Escalation League using the Azyr Comphttp://www.louisvillewargaming.com/Files/AzyrComp.pdf pack and we are currently moving into 30 points. You are allowed to take any models within your Grand Alliance. I thought I’d share my current list to get some ideas for improvements or tactical advice.

20 Phoenix Guard 12 Points
20 Archers 6 Points
20 State Troops /w Spears 2 Points
1 Bolt Thrower 2 Points
1 Anointed on Foot 2 Points General
1 Mage on Foot 2 Points
1 Loremaster 2 Points
1 Sea Helm w/ Sea Drake Pendant 2 Points

The force has two elements with distinct roles. The first element is the infantry. The Phoenix Guard are the elite of the army, and one of the most durable in the game with their immutable 4+ save. With the Anointed within 8”, they also don’t need to take battleshock tests. They can take a beating and still put out significant damage, and force 1 more enemy model to flee for any failed battleshock tests.

Still, they can be withered under sustained firepower, which is why the State Troops are included. At 2 points for 20, they are a good unit to soak up sustained fire by providing cover for the Phoenix Guard (LoS dependent of course). With the Anointed nearby, they will be receiving Inspiring Presence to keep casualties low. Also, they provide a cheap tarpit to tie up other units to allow the Phoenix Guard to get into ideal position.

The Mage will accompany this element to provide Mystic Shield where needed. Both the Anointed and Mage will get a Look Out, Sir! Roll while near either unit, so they get some measure of protection from enemy fire. Furthermore, both heroes can unbind enemy spells, which is another bonus.

The second element is the ranged force. The archers are here for reasons I explained in a previous posthttp://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=69349. The Sea Drake’s job is to bunker down with that Totem and give the archers +1 to wound, while the numbers of the archers will give them +1 to hit. They need to get their Storm of Arrows ability off before they take any wounds, otherwise the units full potential with this combo is wasted. The Bolt Thrower is to provide long range support, with the Loremaster casting Hand of Glory on it every turn. Both units target priorities are other mass units of shooters/flyers/cavalry/warmachines. Hopefully they can get combined firing off on elements that are susceptible to battleshocks.

The shooting element is more vulnerable, as it has no real battleshock mitigation, and the Archers won’t have maximized Bravery with the Infantry element moving up. That is why fast moving troops heading in their direction are a top priority.

So what do you think? Any ideas for improvements or tactical tips?
Cinncinatti

Re: AoS Escaltion League w/ Azyr Comp

#2 Post by Cinncinatti »

Hi all,
So I crunched some numbers on the Sea Helm and Loremaster to see what their force multiplication would be under the Azyr comp. Basically, The Sea Helm + 20 Archers at 8 points puts out on average 8.88 wounds per round of shooting. This is better than 24 archers at 8 points, which puts out on average 8 wounds

The biggest downsize, though, is that it is easier for 20 archers to lose their +1 hit bonus than it is for 24. I don’t think it’s too great of a difference though, given the save of the archers. If mass shooting targets the archers, an extra 4 models probably won’t preserve the shooting bonus. Once you lose that shooting bonus, the Sea Helm’s true potential as a force multiplier shows. For example, say a unit of 24 archers lost 6 models. Without the hitting bonus, they are wounding at an average rate of 4. A unit of 20 archers buffed by a sea helm that lost 6 models is actually wounding at an average rate 4.6667. So the Sea Helm helps preserve the overall effectiveness of the unit as it losses models better than his cost being spent on more archers. So at this size the Sea Helm appears to be an effective force multiplier.

The Loremaster supporting the Bolt Thrower, though, is harder to justify. Two bolt throwers using their multi-shot put out 8 wounds on average. Having the Loremaster support 1 bolt thrower puts out 8 wounds as well. And that is of course as long as the Loremaster is successfully casting Hand of Glory. It’s casting value is 5+, which puts it at better than average, but still it’s not guaranteed.

So the question becomes whether to bring the Loremaster, shelve him in favor of 2 bolt throwers, or shelve him in favor of 24 Archers. Bringing him in conjunction with 20 archers supported by the Sea Helm nets about 16.888 wounds. Taking two bolt throwers and 20 archers supported by the Sea Helm nets about 17 wounds, which isn’t a huge difference, but there it is. Taking one bolt thrower in conjuction with 24 Archers supported by a Sea Helm nets about 15 wounds.

More archers is out. It’s less wounds and misses out on more rend wounds from the multi-shot, something that will be needed to deal with well-armored units. After that option is eliminated, it becomes more a question on whether you want the versatility of the Loremaster over another bolt thrower. Here are the points I think work in the Loremaster’s favor:

1.) The Loremaster can book it out of trouble easier than a bolt thrower, so he has greater points preservation potential.
2.) He can cast more than just Hand of Glory. Granted, this means he isn’t just supporting the bolt thrower. But an Arcane Bolt to something nasty and armored that’s closing in is a good thing to have if you need it.

So in the end, I think the Loremaster is still worth it only because of his versatility so I will still be bringing the Loremaster and one bolt thrower.

Of course, I only have one bolt thrower, so there’s that as well.

So what do you think, have I missed anything in my analysis?