High Elves Synergies in AoS

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Cinncinatti

High Elves Synergies in AoS

#1 Post by Cinncinatti »

Greetings!
Long time lurker on the forum, first time poster. I’ve made the plunge here to see what synergies people are trying out in Age of Sigmar. I’ve only played a few games myself, some uncomped the others using Azyr Comp (pretty good comp if you don’t mind me saying).
I’ve come across a few promising combos myself:

1.)Loremaster with Bolt thrower
The High Elves don’t have engineers of any kind, and none of the totems work on the Bolt Thrower since it doesn’t have the keyword Highborn. But the Loremasters Spell Hand of Glory only affects a single model. Giving a Bolt thrower the ability to reroll all hit and wound roles every turn (being with the warmachines should hopefully ensure no one is close enough to unbind your spells) is pretty deadly regardless of which bolt you use. Maybe this isn’t ideal fluffwise, but hey, whatchagonnado. And as far as Azyr Comp goes, the Loremaster is only 2 points, as is the bolt thrower, so it’s cost effective as well.

2.)Sea Helm with totem and 20+ archers
The Sea Helms totem is pretty good, allowing all Highborn units within 8” to add 1 to wound rolls. The problem is, at only 8” it’s pretty easy for your troops to get away from him while moving up, at least in my experience. But camp him next to a unit of 20+ archers and oh man. At a unit size of 20+, the archers get +1 to hit, so combined with a Sea Helm totem they are rolling 3+ and 3+. Add their Storm of Arrows ability and you are looking at minimum 40 3+ and 3+ shoots in one shooting phase (always use the storm of arrows as soon as you can, it’s a one shot ability and you need to take full advantage of those unit size bonuses before someone wittles them down). In Azyr Comp, the Sea Helm only costs 2 points. The archers are a bit more of an investment to get north of 20, but they are much cheaper than Sea Guard and have longer range. This is a combo that can’t be slept on in my opinion.

So what other synergies are out there that people have found useful?
muz

Re: High Elves Synergies in AoS

#2 Post by muz »

Look a little further down the page and you will see my pist for using an Alarielle/Tyrion combo. Use Alarielle to keep tyrion healed. When he does finally die he can come back to life at full health and she can just keep healing again. She gains 1 wound back at yhe start of the turn ao no need to waste her healing on herself. Thats got to be frustrating.
gromo

#3 Post by gromo »

Why not use the Everyqueen combo on anything? I mean It would be just as effective having her heal Caradryan on a Frostheart, or etharion, etc..
Cinncinatti

#4 Post by Cinncinatti »

That's definitely a potent combo. There is also phenomenal battleshock mitigation in that combo as well. Alarielle grants battleshock immunity to highborn units within 16" of her, and Tyrion's command ability lets all Highborn units within 24"use his Bravery of 9. Combine Tyrion's Bravery of 9 with Banner bonuses and most units will be sporting an 11 Bravery.

Further, Alarielle's range on Boon of Life is 20", so the two can operate fairly independently, meaning your battleshock mitigation could extend over quite a large area. That is definitely a combo to try out.
Ducking

#5 Post by Ducking »

Going to a tournament soon This is what I'm taking:

40 wounds 'Core force'

Prince on Steed
10 Silver Helms
10 Dragon Princes

60 Wound 'Auxillary force'

Archmage on Dragon
Dragon Mage
Prince on Dragon
Sea Helm on Skycutter with Pennant
Great Eagle

The Prince on dragon is my general allowing other heroes to use their command ability. This means I can run and charge if needed, or use their dragonfire (dragon host rule) to try and take out a general in one round of shooting. The prince on dragon can give all melee weapons one extra attack within 10" (massively powerful with dragons) once per game. The sea helm allows any models within 8" to add 1 to the wound rolls (again massively powerful with dragons). The plan is to go second, weather the shooting, go right up the middle, blow apart the general with dragonfire, charge in with the dragons and let the synergies break the back in one turn (the prince on horse can let one dragon re-roll failed hits and wounds too). Theres a lot of running about needed capturing objectives which the cavalry will be perfect for. Mages throwing mystic shields around and drain magic on buffed enemies, and 3 unbindings (with 2 of these at +1).

Can't wait :o
Cinncinatti

#6 Post by Cinncinatti »

@ Ducking

Sounds good! If you could let us know here how that works out, as I'd love an excuse to buy three dragons! Reminds me of the flying circus lists from 8th.

The one thing I'd say that list could be vulnerable against is turtled war machines or massed shooting. You don't have any range
to force the enemy to move towards you and dragon's breath is only 12". Any kind of focused fire on the Archmage or Dragon Mage, who both have a much worse save, could leave you unable to execute the Dragonfire Conflagration ability if one of them bites the dust. I'd say don't be afraid to use terrain to your advantage and wait if you need to.

If the enemy doesn't have significant shooting, though, giddy up.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

It is one of the few things I like about AoS. If I want to use the 7 dragons I've collected over the years without having to have an insane number of core units (far far more than I own) I can.

Of course I can (and have used 5) in warhammer too. You just had to talk about what kind of game you wanted. Not that different than if you want to get a reasonable game with AoS.
Ducking

#8 Post by Ducking »

Cinncinatti wrote:@ Ducking

Sounds good! If you could let us know here how that works out, as I'd love an excuse to buy three dragons! Reminds me of the flying circus lists from 8th.

The one thing I'd say that list could be vulnerable against is turtled war machines or massed shooting. You don't have any range
to force the enemy to move towards you and dragon's breath is only 12". Any kind of focused fire on the Archmage or Dragon Mage, who both have a much worse save, could leave you unable to execute the Dragonfire Conflagration ability if one of them bites the dust. I'd say don't be afraid to use terrain to your advantage and wait if you need to.

If the enemy doesn't have significant shooting, though, giddy up.
Will do!

I do think mass shooting is a very huge possibility. The only possible saving grace is no special characters, which I think will tone it all down a bit and make gunlines a bit less attractive without the bonus'. Guess I'll have to see. Was hoping to get more games in but they just rolled everything over which isn't much fun for either of us (it did take down Nagash & 3 mortarchs though which was pretty cool 8) ) - good idea on the terrain, always forget the +1!
Ducking

#9 Post by Ducking »

Hi guys.

Awesome tournament. Took this list in the end:

Prince on Steed
Dragon Host
10 Silver Helms
10 Dragon Princes
5 Shadow Warriors
2 Great Eagles

Game 1) Tomb Kings - Win. Took down a warsphinx and royal warsphinx with great trouble. Then tied his snake surfer guys with both cavalry units. He only had a catapult left and I won 3-2 on objectives. This guy ended up on top table last game too :P

Game 2) Tzeentch Daemons - Win. Absolutely filthy list that was the tzeentch formation that could blow anyone apart. Got lucky with the scenario, random objectives and rolling and blew apart his huge screamer unit with dragon breath and all my dragons. Then ran off, and managed to sneak a win when I claimed 2 objective points in the last dice roll. Won 7-6

Game 3) Dwarfs - loss. Misunderstood sudden death and only played 3 turns instead of 6. Would have won with 1 more round. Meh

Game 4) Ogres - Loss. Very drunk and can't really remember this. I do remember him causing an extreme amount of mortal wounds and they just absolutely rolled me over. He did win the last tournament so I was outclassed a bit.

Game 5) Nurgle Daemons - win. These were too slow and no ranged attacks meant I could pick apart at will. Killed a Daemon Prince and Great unclean one in a round with shooting and combat, and cleaned up after that. Being resilient is all well and good but there was NO killing power there at all. Major Win

Game 6) Ogres - Win. Tough game with the thundertuks and stonehorn the only real threats. Everythign killed off except the lareg unit of Dragon Princes and Stonehorn - Dragon Princes did a heroic last turn charge (he'd win the game if they didn't kill it in one tunr) and they managed to do just that. Great bunch o' lads - Major win.

Dragon Host is too powerful - comped under what is becoming the norm. Archmage and Dragonmage are absolutely fantastic,
Cinncinatti

#10 Post by Cinncinatti »

@ Ducking

Thanks for the update! Looks like the list performed well and it was a fun tournament. How did you use the great eagles? Were they just speed bumps or did you use their soar away rule at all?
Ducking

#11 Post by Ducking »

Cinncinatti wrote:@ Ducking

Thanks for the update! Looks like the list performed well and it was a fun tournament. How did you use the great eagles? Were they just speed bumps or did you use their soar away rule at all?
They were mainly for shooting around claiming objectives. Could see them as a speed bump and as lone character hunters etc in 2's / 3's though. I did use their soar away rule a couple of times but again, just for objective purposes.

Mages on monsters will be really popular. lots of wounds, always want to be in the middle of the action for spells and dispels means they're even better than fighty characters I think
gromo

#12 Post by gromo »

What balancing system did the tournament use?