Weapon options High Elf Prince

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Brother Dimetrius

Weapon options High Elf Prince

#1 Post by Brother Dimetrius »

The High Elf Prince warscroll has me confused.

Specifically, the option of taking the "Phoenix Banner" has me confused:

A High Elf Prince is a single model.
Some Princes are armed with a magical Starblade, while others wield a larger Enchanted Polearm, such as a halberd
or a spear. If riding to war, a Prince may instead slay his foes with a mighty Star Lance. Many High Elf Princes fight with an Enchanted Shield for protection, while others prefer instead to carry a magical Reaver Bow to shoot their foes from afar. Occasionally, a Prince will have the honour of carrying a Phoenix Banner.

How do I read this? Is this in addition to the other options, or does it replace it? If I play WYSIWYG, my model has the standard, a shield, and so cannot attack. Although if I read it as being an addition, it is possible he has a sword, shield & banner.

Curiously, the Dark Elf version for example specifies that the banner is being attached to the steed while the model is using both hands to attack. Thoughts?
Twitter : @BDimetrius
aquietfrog

Re: Weapon options High Elf Prince

#2 Post by aquietfrog »

I read this as the banner is in addition to the other options. Played as wysiwyg, the standard can be used as a really fancy enchanted polearm or lance if mounted.
Tzineris

#3 Post by Tzineris »

Prince may carry sword or spear or lance(only mounted) and on his other hand may carry shield or reaver bow or banner! s simple as that! No banner with shield together. :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
cptcosmic

#4 Post by cptcosmic »

nothing actually prevents you to have your prince "equipped" them all or do I miss something?
aquietfrog

#5 Post by aquietfrog »

Tzineris wrote:Prince may carry sword or spear or lance(only mounted) and on his other hand may carry shield or reaver bow or banner! s simple as that! No banner with shield together. :mrgreen:
I actually disagree with that.

The description reads to me like this:

weapon = sword or polearm or lance if mounted.
enchanted shield or bow.
may carry a phoenix banner.

The official model in the GW artwork that is carrying a phoenix banner is a noble on foot with shield and sword in scabbard:

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

It's nice to see that they've managed to write the rules clearly this time around #-o
aquietfrog

#7 Post by aquietfrog »

I am annoyed at whoever decided that weapon options should be written in a verbose descriptive/narrative format.
mstrdtch

#8 Post by mstrdtch »

Yesterday we played with a High Elf Prince on Griffon who has a lance and sword, and they claimed to be able to use the lance AND the sword in the same round of combat... shouldn't it be use one or the other?
aquietfrog

#9 Post by aquietfrog »

The High Elf Prince on Griffon has a different warscroll than the normal High Elf Prince. His entry does have both a lance and a sword. The 4-page rules says he attacks with both. I am assuming this is patterned after the griffon model from the IoB set, which is carrying a lance and a sheathed sword. I think he is also similar to Eltharion, who also carries a lance and a sword. However, the High Elf Prince on Griffon does not have any options for either enchanted shield or reaver bow, so no shooting or rerolling saves.