Alternative comp for AoS discussion

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
jamierk

Alternative comp for AoS discussion

#1 Post by jamierk »

G'day All

I've been reading a few of the comp proposals from multiple AoS forums and have played a few games, and it seems to me that the approaches are a long way off being practical, workable and (most importantly to me) lead to enjoyable, competitive gaming. To summarise most of what i have read, the idea of a 'per wound, per battle scroll, percentages in areas' is an attempt to recreate a point system which was flawed to begin with, and leads straight back to a min-max, one sized fits all tournament system.

My alternative we are trialing at our local gaming group is to use what i think is the biggest strength AoS offers the competitive gamer, almost every unit in the game is viable in some way, with very few actually breaking the game without being killable. With probably a few exceptions i havn't discovered yet, almost all units in the high elf book for instance can kill something with reasonably average dice, no more wounding on 6s only to face a rerollable 1+, 4++ to something. The internal balance problem comes from the fact that elite units like PG are obviously better than core units like Spearmen and Archers. My suggestion is that we use a reasonably constructed FOC to compose armies of reasonable balances of core, elite, heroes, monsters and war machines. Then the problem is just how many of each you are allowed, and how many models you are allowed in each slot. This is difficult to get right, but I'm starting with 'what comes in a basic sized box'. Core units of 20 elves, elites typically 10 elves, 8 silver helms, 5 dragon princes etc. Internal balance seems reasonable for the armies i've been playing, namely High Elves, Lizardmen, Skaven and Dwarves.

The FoC i'm thinking probably varies on size of game, but i'm thinking: 1-2 Heroes, 1-2 Elites, Min 2-3 Core, 1-2 War Machines or Monsters (and taking a Hero with a monster counts in both slots). I think you'd be suprised how many viable and enjoyable builds you could get out of this for tournament play, and more importantly how much more emphasis would be on HOW you play rather than WHAT you play.

In honesty, this requires some slight 'adjustments' to the core rules of AoS which I think will be manditory anyway:

1. Base sizes need to be consistent so that they aren't used for advantage. 20mm square = 25mm round, 25mm square = 32mm round etc.
2. Measure from bases not models
3. Summoning limits of some kind
4. No random turn order
5. The core units which get benefits from having 20 or 30 of models, the number should be halved, so that core have more punch earlier in the game and 'hoard' armies get a little extra benefit from their numbers

From an external balance perspective, there may be some kinks to be worked out, but i'd say most of those kinks will just require minor adjustments in the maximum allowed sizes of units until each unit is a viable choice inside each slot.

I'd love some feedback, and i'm sure that there are exceptions where this doesn't fit. I'm really looking forward to assembling armies under this system and playing them as such.

Thanks

Jamie
jamierk

Re: Alternative comp for AoS discussion

#2 Post by jamierk »

I missed two of our house rules:

5. Heroes get a 4+ LOS when within 3" of a unit
6. Can't shoot into or out of combat.
mcmulligan

#3 Post by mcmulligan »

Can I pose a question? And please note I'm completely sincere and not trying to troll at all.

Wouldn't it be easier (assuming you enjoy 8th) to simply keep playing 8th and assign a stat line to the new models?

If you need to create a comprehensive comp system just to play the game (not just tournaments), then I assume your attraction to AoS is the new models (since the game isn't playable for you).

Honestly curious.
jamierk

#4 Post by jamierk »

Actually I really enjoyed my games of AoS, but only because we tried very hard to balance out the armies before hand. Even as an experienced tournament goer this is not that easy, but no reason to give up. The game plays like a more fun 40k to me, with the right house rules at least.

8th ed is a game which relied heavily on a shifting meta due to consistent releases which upset the balance. It does tend to get stale after a while. That said, I'll still enjoy the odd game, especially triumph and treachery!
mcmulligan

#5 Post by mcmulligan »

Totally fair if you actually enjoyed the game. I must have assumed that 8th would be preferable for you since all of your house rules are straight out of 8th, and makes it look like your resulting game would be far closer related to 8th than what AoS is.

Assigned limits on unit types, measuring from bases and standard bases, look out sirs, no shooting into (and I assume out of) combat, no random turn sequence, are all great ideas to comp AoS. Funnily enough, they are all rules straight out of 8th.