Louisvillewargaming comp system

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ladril Caledor

Louisvillewargaming comp system

#1 Post by Ladril Caledor »

http://www.louisvillewargaming.com/Files/AzyrComp.pdf

I'm pretty impressed by this. Army composition rules make sense. The points costs are far from perfect but they should allow for some fairly balanced games. The additional rules really clean things up and should make things more fun to play.
jjmctweaty

Re: Louisvillewargaming comp system

#2 Post by jjmctweaty »

Thank you very much. I am part of the test group for this comp packet. I did not fully create this so I cannot take all the credit for our local campaign leader Auticus. We are still in the process of running test games and a few changes have been made recently. Feel free to play test games and let us know how they go. The comp is also on BOLS, Dakka and Warseer. This was orignally designed for story based campaigns that we run locally. So far a few tournament cities have adopted this and are also play testing.We feel like we are gaining a lot of ground with this and hope to see it used in the future.
Ladril Caledor

#3 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Seems to be the first widely playtested and slickly presented comp to get out there, which means it has a good chance of becoming popular.

Also I prefer the alternative shooting rules where shooting into combat gives a 50% chance of hitting friendlies. It's fun, realistic, and it is something that will still be a good idea to try in certain situations (if your troops have better ranged protection it could help in combat). I much prefer that to just increasing the points cost of ranged troops.

I'll give the system a go. Should I feed back on this thread, or directly to the guys that made it?
Grenic

#4 Post by Grenic »

I on the other hand don't like this comp's shooting into combat rule.

So, an LSG unit in combat shoots itself!?
auticus

#5 Post by auticus »

I'll give the system a go. Should I feed back on this thread, or directly to the guys that made it?
Thank you. I am the one heading the project up. If you would like to give me some feedback, feel free to do so on this thread for right now (i don't really have a central place to do it other than our group's facebook chat)

The current rules actually have the 50/50 into shooting as the default now after much request.
So, an LSG unit in combat shoots itself!?
Yep. Though it baffles my mind that they can still shoot and fight every turn in the first place. They take the time to draw bows, carefully fire, then sheath the bow and draw the sword, take a swing, then carefully draw the bow again and shoot etc. Seems very silly to me but thats the way the rules are.

So think of it as during the swirling melee your guys are firing in, but in the swirling melee, friends are mixed with enemies and shooting becomes dangerous. Its a risk you have to decide is worth taking.

The alternative is making missile troops a point more expensive to compensate for the fact that they for the most part have double utility over melee-only troops -or- ban shooting into combat outright, which is what our original packet did but half the playtesters did not like that so this is a compromise.
auticus

#6 Post by auticus »

New version with feedback address added plus a twitter to get updates on the file when its updated.
Bolt Thrower

#7 Post by Bolt Thrower »

auticus wrote:New version with feedback address added plus a twitter to get updates on the file when its updated.
Just linked to your comp pdf in my latest blog post. I like the looks of it and hope to implement pieces of it for my next game.

http://marketplacegaming.com/age-of-sig ... agics-gone
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
auticus

#8 Post by auticus »

Awesome - thank you sir.
Original Dragon Prince

#9 Post by Original Dragon Prince »

As crazy as it sounds, I actually don't mind shooting into combat. From the games I've played with ranged troops, I've discovered that enemy units are FAST in this game. A dedicated speed unit can be on you on turn two. Ranged units can shoot in combat because they will only get one turn of unmolested shooting per game, most of the time. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't be worth fielding.
Warhammer, at it's core, is a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. As long as all choices in an army book fall under these categories, with their inherent strengths and weaknesses, there is balance. Imbalance occurs when the designers make a Rock that is immune to Paper. Daemon Princes, Ironblasters, etc.
auticus

#10 Post by auticus »

I don't mind shooting into combat either, I just think that the points of missile troops need to reflect that they can do it.

The only real issue I have other then that is the disconnect from any kind of reality where explosions from war engines land on a combat but only my target gets hurt.