What does AoS mean for WHFB?

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: What does AoS mean for WHFB?

#31 Post by Prince of Spires »

In my experience Mordheim still actually has a dedicated following. Just look at what people charge for Mordheim models or the Mordheim rulebook on ebay. Which is pretty amazing considering that the game has been dead for 11 years and the rules are available for free online (put there by GW itself). And Mordheim was only a small game with limited support to begin with.

I have decent hope that WH sticks around for a while longer. And after that, a new game will probably emerge.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Original Dragon Prince

#32 Post by Original Dragon Prince »

We need a dedicated cosplayer to dress as Luthor Huss, ride up to GW's headquarters on a horse, and tape a petition for a real 9th edition to the door. It will be our Reformation. We will be the Lutheran Church of Warhammer.
Warhammer, at it's core, is a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. As long as all choices in an army book fall under these categories, with their inherent strengths and weaknesses, there is balance. Imbalance occurs when the designers make a Rock that is immune to Paper. Daemon Princes, Ironblasters, etc.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#33 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:In my experience Mordheim still actually has a dedicated following. Just look at what people charge for Mordheim models or the Mordheim rulebook on ebay. Which is pretty amazing considering that the game has been dead for 11 years and the rules are available for free online (put there by GW itself). And Mordheim was only a small game with limited support to begin with.

I have decent hope that WH sticks around for a while longer. And after that, a new game will probably emerge.

Rod
Yep, Blood Bowl is still #1, and I honestly think there might be more games of BB played in a given year then of WFB*, but Mordheim is far from 'dead'.

*Ok, probably not really. But it is much easier to find a BB league that meets every week to play than it is a WFB one. At least in all of the places I've lived anyway.
matrim

#34 Post by matrim »

I'll definitely be playing 8th or any other community created system (I hear the etc & Swedish comp guys trying to come with the 9th age rule set), however I'll also be playing AoS as it fills a different space. I'm also intrigued by the fluff, may be because I haven't been playing WHFB for long therefore I don't have a deep connection to old fluff.

GW couldn't careless what existing players think I believe and they missed out a great opportunity with the End Times for prepping the community for the coming changes (other then the fluff I guess). I was checking the freebie Stormcast model I got with the WD today and noticed that it had GW 2014 on it. Which means GW had those guys for m ore then 7 months, therefore AoS was planned a significant amount of time ago and ET was their way of saying goodbye to old WH (or milking the cow one last time). From business perspective of course they'd plan and stock in advance, what they did is not wrong (well may be they shouldn't have charged so much for a very short living product). The part I'm not happy with is; why they didn't use ET to introduce the new rules properly. They did combined profiles which carried over to AoS. Why not put the rules and Warscrolls to test during ET and see what people think? Easy to change out if it backfires or amend, update as necessary before releasing the new game.

I cannot change the past so no point arguing over too much but this is like post game analysis in sports; Mourinho shouldn't have let Check to go to Gunners. 8)