The models

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Giladis
The Merlord

The models

#1 Post by Giladis »

Here you can start discussing the new models.

Based on what I have seen I like some of the Khornate chosen and warriors, the rest for the time doesn't appeal to me.
RE.Lee

Re: The models

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Same here - khorne stuff seems good to very good, the dynamic poses reflect their character well (unlike the Khornates of End Times, who looks surprisinly static). The Sigmarines are, well, Sigmarines. They look out of place and the painting guide that has been posted elsewhere is borderline offensive - we get they're Space Marines already! :roll:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#3 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Is this picture showing new Elves or are they still SigMarines?

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
siltharion

#4 Post by siltharion »

Still looks like sigmarines to me. Once again GW are showing how little they regard their customers, who have spent time and money building their army. As much as they are making it appear backwards compatible at the moment, I have no doubt that elves as we know them will be replaced with bulkier, uglier models, making all the miniatures we own completely obsolete
RE.Lee

#5 Post by RE.Lee »

Sigmarines for sure. Surprised to see Dark Elves as a separate army but still in the Order faction.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Rajmahal

#6 Post by Rajmahal »

Definitely Sigmarines.

Not sure if I should start another topic but does anyone else feel that the whole soul of the warhammer world has been completely gutted by the concept of Sigmarines? There was something special about a fantasy world where dark gods were clearly prevalent and real threat while the good gods, if they existed at all, had little influence. The real gods or symbols of hope were men / women of legend like Sigmar, Aenerion, etc.

The appeal of that, to me, was that it made the good factions so much more approachable as they were normal people thrown into a nightmarish world. Sigmarines are essentially "good' chaos warriors .... which just destroys the whole notion of chaos being this source of power that leads to ultimate damnation and something to be resisted. If you can be equally powerful by worshipping Sigmar or some other "good" god, then the lure of chaos loses its appeal. Why would a mortal take the risky path of chaos that will lead to chaos spawn 99.999% of the time if you can become an immortal, god-like warrior in some other way? I'll wait to reserve judgement but so far, everything about the Sigmarines just makes me throw up a little in my mouth. :oops:
Kimahri

#7 Post by Kimahri »

Rajmahal wrote:Definitely Sigmarines.

Not sure if I should start another topic but does anyone else feel that the whole soul of the warhammer world has been completely gutted by the concept of Sigmarines? There was something special about a fantasy world where dark gods were clearly prevalent and real threat while the good gods, if they existed at all, had little influence. The real gods or symbols of hope were men / women of legend like Sigmar, Aenerion, etc.

The appeal of that, to me, was that it made the good factions so much more approachable as they were normal people thrown into a nightmarish world. Sigmarines are essentially "good' chaos warriors .... which just destroys the whole notion of chaos being this source of power that leads to ultimate damnation and something to be resisted. If you can be equally powerful by worshipping Sigmar or some other "good" god, then the lure of chaos loses its appeal. Why would a mortal take the risky path of chaos that will lead to chaos spawn 99.999% of the time if you can become an immortal, god-like warrior in some other way? I'll wait to reserve judgement but so far, everything about the Sigmarines just makes me throw up a little in my mouth. :oops:

Maybe because some people are driven by things such as lust and greed, and arent perfect little angels.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Perfect enormous angels perhaps?

:)
LochNESS
Location: Leyden, South Holland, Netherlands, EU, Eurasia, Earth, System Sol

#9 Post by LochNESS »

I rather liked the models from with have seen thus far. GW had released better models but keep mind these models are starter set models. All in all I think the models are nice earning for me to buy the starter set.

Also check my blog on the Stormcast Eternal in the white dwarf: here on my blog.

And my general impressions on the models in another cool blog post
Count of Averland my blog on games, minis and more!

Rotterdam is increasingly to Architecture what Paris is to Fashion or Los Angeles to Entertainment -NY Times

Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)
Ielthan

#10 Post by Ielthan »

Rajmahal wrote:Definitely Sigmarines.

This.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#11 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

RE.Lee wrote:Sigmarines for sure. Surprised to see Dark Elves as a separate army but still in the Order faction.
I expect that's only for the stuff that's already made and when the new stuff comes out there will only be one type of (A)elf
Browncastle

#12 Post by Browncastle »

I kinda like the new models, But then again Im not using the sig marines, for what they are. Im planing to make some tzeentch warriors of them, And There is a perfect demonicmount for my Tzh BsB there also, the khorne stuff looks great. They fit in nicely with skullreapers etc. The only model Im questioning would be the dreadnought dude, is it suppossed to be a spawn? My favourite must be the Khornate bsb. Lord is also cool, and Im looking forward to more fleshounds like his puppy. The whip guy looks like he should have been a blightknight. Marauders are ace, eventhough I still havent seen a close up of them. The flying angels are cool also, but I have no idea what to use them as. Sigmarine BSB dude is meh.
So all in all Im picking up this box, but Im using them all as Chaos warriors, and sticking to 8th.
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41281[/url]
AD8899

#13 Post by AD8899 »

Personally not a fan, but that's because I have always preferred the aesthetics of WFB to 40k. Obviously the entire feel of the old game will be gone and I'll either find stuff I like, or not. I'm okay with the Khorne stuff, except the monster which looks goofy. The Sigmarines could make nice conversion pieces, but as they are they are bland.

Hopefully the game includes some awesome monsters I can convert, though.
Truthiness

#14 Post by Truthiness »

I'm actually on the opposite end of most of you. I'm digging the Sigmarines and not the chaos stuff, but part of that is a general dislike of all things chaos. This Age of Sigmar release is killing me. I like the models, I rather like the advancement of the story, but the game itself is an abomination. Maybe the Sigmarines will become some Basileans Paladins and Elohi if I can get them for less than $10 per model.
[url=http://warhammertruthiness.blogspot.com/]You Can't Handle the Truthiness[/url]:
The demented ramblings of a US Army officer
AD8899

#15 Post by AD8899 »

I've had an in-person look at the models and they are superbly detailed and generally well cast. They are not my taste, I must say, but if you were - say - a Chaos Warriors player, then it would be a simple bit of converting to have a full army from that one box. Likewise, most of them could be easily converted for 40k armies.

I imagine a decent number of sale will be driven by that usefulness alone.

*edit* Oh, by the way, they're huge compared to fantasy miniatures. Not just the Sigmarines, but the looklikemarauders too. They struck me as being bigger even than Marines, though I didn't do a side-by-side. So be aware if you order them.
LochNESS
Location: Leyden, South Holland, Netherlands, EU, Eurasia, Earth, System Sol

#16 Post by LochNESS »

Having the Starter set in my possession Imcan confirm that the monks are really good. I like the art style but can see why some people don't. However, from a technical standpoint there is no arguing that these are superb miniatures. Again, see my blog, link in my sig, for all my latter's impressions and gaming ideas an progress...
Count of Averland my blog on games, minis and more!

Rotterdam is increasingly to Architecture what Paris is to Fashion or Los Angeles to Entertainment -NY Times

Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)
Kimahri

#17 Post by Kimahri »

Just picked up my copy of the starter. Have to say that these are some very fine models. The pictures just dont seem to do them justice. That goes for both forces. Pretty excited to put all of these together and get to playing.