Dragonlord Rising

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Dragonlord Rising

#151 Post by SpellArcher »

First thing from the first game, I love those purple crystals! As discussed, the match-up looked good for you CR. Deployment seemed OK. Not getting first turn was unlucky but didn’t seem that much of a problem. So your T1 charges went in fine. It did look unlucky to lose the Star Dragon (especially getting run down when you were faster) but I guess if no wounds had been exchanged you’d have been testing on a 9. Fairly solid but would have been much safer within BSB range. Again, unlucky to lose the Mages but maybe they missed their Archer bunker here. The real killer of course was Purple Sun causing such carnage. It happens but as an elf player, it’s a surprise. At the end I guess we see the difference between having to deal with a fresh Terrorgheist rather than one that’s had a few wounds knocked off.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#152 Post by Prince of Spires »

I completely agree with SA here. It's a pity to see this topic end. It's been a great read so far. And, as SA says, content for other games is very welcome here. We just happen to have an games-workshop / high elf focus because of historical reasons. But I love most things gaming and mini related. So getting other content in would be lovely. Historicals would be interesting. I have pretty much no knowledge in this area, so it would be fun to read about it (and on the other hand, I think that's where SA started gaming wise).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
CaledorRises

#153 Post by CaledorRises »

Thank you, I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread! I do hope to bring it back as soon as possible. I'm not sure when I'll play the next games, but it would be a wide range of historicals, from World War II to Napoleonics to Ancients!
SpellArcher wrote: It was great to meet you CR.
It was great to meet you as well! It's a shame we couldn't talk more.
SpellArcher wrote:It did look unlucky to lose the Star Dragon (especially getting run down when you were faster) but I guess if no wounds had been exchanged you’d have been testing on a 9. Fairly solid but would have been much safer within BSB range. Again, unlucky to lose the Mages but maybe they missed their Archer bunker here. The real killer of course was Purple Sun causing such carnage. It happens but as an elf player, it’s a surprise. At the end I guess we see the difference between having to deal with a fresh Terrorgheist rather than one that’s had a few wounds knocked off.
Being in BSB range and near the BotWD would have kept the Star Dragon in the game I think, but it was a few inches away since the Dragon Prince charge had succeeded and the Star Dragon failed forward a measly 3 inches. The Archer bunker would have helped the Mages possibly, but the charge of the Spearmen to relieve the Dragon Princes was very useful. I'm not sure it was completely needed as the Frostheart managed to tie down the Vargheists, but that wasn't a certain charge and the Vargheists on the flank of the Dragon Princes would have been devastating.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#154 Post by SpellArcher »

CaledorRises wrote:It was great to meet you as well! It's a shame we couldn't talk more.
Sorry about that. My wife has mental health concerns and was looking after our autistic teenager so I needed to go out and talk to her a fair bit.
CaledorRises wrote:it was a few inches away
Story of that game I think.

An O&G list with a Wyvern-mounted General is always a bit of a gamble because radiating that Ld 9 from your centre is normally key. Orc characters on foot are boring but important. Giants get shot down in short order vs most elf lists, they might just have done something here. Agreed you have the stronger list. Like you I felt the Savage Orcs should have been central, though without Lucky Shrunken Head etc. I’m not sure they’d have held your Monsters up for long enough. At least your fast attack elements racked up enough points for a decent win before you had to finish.
CaledorRises

#155 Post by CaledorRises »

SpellArcher wrote: Sorry about that. My wife has mental health concerns and was looking after our autistic teenager so I needed to go out and talk to her a fair bit.
Ah, no, I was more referring to how I had to get a train out of Worcester before the event was even properly over! Family comes first, of course.
SpellArcher wrote: An O&G list with a Wyvern-mounted General is always a bit of a gamble because radiating that Ld 9 from your centre is normally key. Orc characters on foot are boring but important.
I think the Wyvern could have worked better if it had held back a bit instead of pushing for the flanking move so that the LD bubble would have stayed in place. Having the LD 9 be an 18" bubble sounds really helpful, usually there's the risk from cannons and stuff like that to make it less competitive, but of course I didn't have anything like that, so the normal downside to the Wyvern wasn't there. I think if it had played as a counter-attack unit to try and join a fight after I got stuck into a block, then it may have been able to have more of an impact on the game.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#156 Post by SpellArcher »

CaledorRises wrote:Worcester
I like Worcester but it’s not the easiest place to get to for many of us.
CaledorRises wrote:18" bubble
Good point. I’ve always found a fast general tends to end up in surprising places but if played carefully this sounds promising.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#157 Post by SpellArcher »

That was a colourful army you faced in Game 3 CR. I agree the combats look tricky. It has no magic though. While you probably don’t want to be flinging lightning bolts at units with Storm Rage, making them Frenzied might just come in handy. Heavens also has other useful spells of course. The WoC also have no BSB, so their usual weakness of Break Tests is amplified, a BSB on Disc would really help this list. Gunlines might hurt it and a foe with Purple Sun or Pit of Shades would be a real challenge for it’s low Initiative.

Your deployment looked OK to me except I’d have been tempted to drop the Reavers last and feed them to Kholek to buy yourself a turn. Redeploying the Frosthearts looked sensible. I too was surprised by the Forsaken laughing off Blizzard Aura. Maybe just charge with the Frostheart? I wondered if sending the Silver Helms to distract Kholek late game might have been a move. Losing your BSB was obviously a blow. I agree on the Troll charge, a bit iffy but things were tough already. You have to kill Throgg and that slows you down.

Some rough luck in general but thanks for the reports CR, much appreciated.