AOS - Tomb Kings vs SCE 1250 points

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

AOS - Tomb Kings vs SCE 1250 points

#1 Post by Jimmy »

Ahoy fellow dusty crusaders!

It's been a long long time since I posted a battle report on the iconic Ulthuan forums but fear not, I have returned.

Alas my skills are rusty, and secondly, I'm only just starting out in AOS so forgive me as this report will certainly not be near the 8th edition quality that I was once producing but give me a few games and I'm sure I'll return to the former glory that once was.

Without further ado.

I was running:

Tomb King - Master of the Dark Arts, Tomb Blade (didn't realise how bad the nerf to this was!)
Necrotect
2 x 20 Skeleton Legionnaires
6 Necropolis Knights
6 Ushabti

Opponent was running:

Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (both had detonation things causing mortal wounds upon death and Obsidian Blade I think)
2 x 5 Liberators
2 x 2 Concussors

Playing against Isaac yesterday was fantastic. Firstly, I've never played against Stormcast Eternals so when I started reading his warscrolls it seemed like he had an answer for everything. Great armour saves, the ability to do consistent mortal wounds, and good combat abilities. We rolled up the new scenario 'Duality of Death' which pitched us to capture and hold two objectives with heroes gaining points with each turn that went by. This posed a slight problem for Isaac as he only had a single hero, however he had speed on his side. Although I had two heroes, they were both foot slogging all the way and immediately I was fighting an uphill battle. I had one relatively fast moving units, where as Isaac had 4

Deployment:

Early Turns

Despite my Michaelangelo type of illustrations, I still feel it necessary to explain what happened. Isaac's Concussers wandered up the flank farting out a few mortal wounds on my poor victimised Necropolis Knights. One unit successfully charged and killed a snake. Cue the Icon Bearer and said snake re-appeared in my hero phase much to Isaac's disgust. The King slaps down his command ability onto the snakes whilst the rest of my force shuffles forward with a block of skeletons charging the unit of Concussors next to the objective on tar pit duty. For the next few turns they do a wound or two here and there but mostly excelled in their duty.

Isaac's forces on the opposite flank however eventually charged my Ushabti sticking them in place. They took 2 casualties before the Necropolis Knights could swoop in like the heroes they are and save the unit from certain destruction.

My Tomb King pinged a casualty from the Concussors unit tied up with the Skeleton block with Arcane Bolt, ensuring that the fight was a little more in my favour. Despite this, I still went on to lose 16 skeletons but was lucky enough to roll high on with the Icon Bearer and lap around the lone Concussor.

Late Game

The Lord-Celestant bolted through the building to grab the other objective but now that I had less problems to deal with my confidence was starting to build. The remaining unit of Liberators charged the Ushabti but were also in range of the Necropolis Knights and were dealt with violently. This allowed the snakes movement to be augmented with the Necrotect allowing them to charge the Lord-Celestant removing the enemy hero from play. Although we called the game at this point, the Ushabti would have supported the remaining skeletons, the King got into range of the objective and would have sealed the game.

Although I'd talked myself into this being a terrible match up for me, I had the tools to deal with Isaac's force. Going forward however I am interested to drop a unit of Skeletons and taking Chariots instead for some more speed and they're probably just as good at tar pitting enemy units. This will mean I have to really pay attention to the positioning of heroes in my army and not let them get too exposed to counter attacks.

That's it folks, thanks for reading!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
RE.Lee

Re: AOS - Tomb Kings vs SCE 1250 points

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

The nerf doesn't seem to be that bad! :lol: As always, great to see your army back on the table, especially crushing some Sigmarines.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Jimmy wrote:It's been a long long time since I posted a battle report on the iconic Ulthuan forums but fear not, I have returned.
Bravo Jimmy and thank you! Glad you were able to get the win against expectations.

Does the gameplay with no rigid blocks feel very different or is this largely cosmetic?
Jimmy
Centurion

#4 Post by Jimmy »

Thanks SpellArcher!

Luckily the gaming group I'm mixed up with all are happy to use movement trays and when combat hits, use common-sense to apply how many models are in combat. Very relaxed gaming atmosphere which is nice. If they were not this way, I honestly wouldn't field infantry and would just continue to use large based models.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

That sounds helpful.

TBH some of the armies I played before GW dropped support for 8th edition lacked blocks almost entirely, due to 50% Lords and 50% Heroes. But the events I play now are back to the old 25%, so plenty of infantry for example.