Non-high Elf Battle Report - Dwarfs vs Tomb Kings

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Live_waaaaagh

Non-high Elf Battle Report - Dwarfs vs Tomb Kings

#1 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

hi all,

I know this one doesn't feature High Elves, but figured someone might play one of the other armies featured.

Dwarfs vs Tomb Kings
http://www.livewaaaaagh.com/home/2017/6 ... -vs-dwarfs

Enjoy!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Non-high Elf Battle Report - Dwarfs vs Tomb Kings

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice battle. It doesn't matter that it didn't feature any HE. We're a gaming site with a HE and warhammer focus. But anything goes. And I personally believe we become better players by also looking at (or playing with) other armies and their tactics.

one thing I was wondering about in the battle report. Did you roll for the extra powerdice for the casket of souls? I didn't see any mention of it in the report. And it's one of the things that make TK a better army.

T2 showed why bringing a scroll is a good idea. Especially as a dwarf player. Still, could have gone worse.

In general I think it shows that TK are not an infantry combat army. Focus is more on the fast units, on shooting (TK archers are decent and cheap enough), and/or on magic.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

Good game and I'd be the last one to complain about posting TK stuff here :lol:

What was the Hatred roll for the Dwarfs at the beginning of the battle? It usually influences how they do very much (we've house ruled it to be hatred against D3 units)
Screaming Skull Catapult aims at Organ Gun and… DIRECT HIT! D3 wounds (house rule) kill it off.
My favourite bit from the report - its such a joy when they hit!
The Tomb Prince though misses with all of his attacks.
This seems to be the standard operating procedure for my royalty as well...
Combat Resolution sees the Ironbreakers lose by 3, but a re-rollable LDR roll is passed.
Auch! Crucial bit. Breaking the Ironbreakers (pun!) could have turned things around. The Tomb Guards really need to deal with stuff one by one (an hopefully heal in the meantime) but its hard to accomplish with such a unwieldy unit.
The MVP for this one for me? Dwarfs’ leadership.
This is it - Light of Death causing little damage, Chariots getting bogged down, main combat block sticking in a grind for too long - it was all down to that legendary Dwarven courage.

Thanks for sharing, as always it was an enjoyable read!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Live_waaaaagh

#4 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

Prince of Spires wrote:Nice battle. It doesn't matter that it didn't feature any HE. We're a gaming site with a HE and warhammer focus. But anything goes. And I personally believe we become better players by also looking at (or playing with) other armies and their tactics.

one thing I was wondering about in the battle report. Did you roll for the extra powerdice for the casket of souls? I didn't see any mention of it in the report. And it's one of the things that make TK a better army.

T2 showed why bringing a scroll is a good idea. Especially as a dwarf player. Still, could have gone worse.

In general I think it shows that TK are not an infantry combat army. Focus is more on the fast units, on shooting (TK archers are decent and cheap enough), and/or on magic.

Rod
thank you for reading and the support! As long as people enjoy the reports, we'll continue writing them.

The casket did do the extra powerdice, but most of the time, it rolled a "1" or "2" for 1 additional dice. It was one "of those games" for the casket.

In a future game, we'll be sure to bring more units that just a big block of Tomb Guard - which works at times, but they're better in horde, in my experience.
Live_waaaaagh

#5 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

RE.Lee wrote:Good game and I'd be the last one to complain about posting TK stuff here :lol:

What was the Hatred roll for the Dwarfs at the beginning of the battle? It usually influences how they do very much (we've house ruled it to be hatred against D3 units)
Screaming Skull Catapult aims at Organ Gun and… DIRECT HIT! D3 wounds (house rule) kill it off.
My favourite bit from the report - its such a joy when they hit!
The Tomb Prince though misses with all of his attacks.
This seems to be the standard operating procedure for my royalty as well...
Combat Resolution sees the Ironbreakers lose by 3, but a re-rollable LDR roll is passed.
Auch! Crucial bit. Breaking the Ironbreakers (pun!) could have turned things around. The Tomb Guards really need to deal with stuff one by one (an hopefully heal in the meantime) but its hard to accomplish with such a unwieldy unit.
The MVP for this one for me? Dwarfs’ leadership.
This is it - Light of Death causing little damage, Chariots getting bogged down, main combat block sticking in a grind for too long - it was all down to that legendary Dwarven courage.

Thanks for sharing, as always it was an enjoyable read!
Thank you for reading and for the support!

I think we forgot the hatred roll in the beginning. :oops:

The leadership won the Dwarf's the game. And allows the Tomb Guard to get combo charged and essentially end the game. Had the chariots broken the Thudnerers, or the Ironbreakers fled, it might have been different!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks for the report.

I wonder whether the Tomb Kings should have sat back? Catapult and Casket are both dangerous. Given both Dwarf blocks were Stubborn because of Rune of Stoicism, breaking would have been very unlucky. That leaves hacking them apart and TK's are not No 1 at that. I think the match-up favoured the Dwarfs, TK's are at their best when they bring heavier magic. A Warsphinx might have helped.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

That would have been an option. Though the TK weren't shooting heavy enough to really pull it off. They would have needed to move up eventually. But it could have been an option, soften up the dwarves first. Crucial would have been keeping the casket and catapult alive. But I think the dwarves didn't have enough long raged threats to be a big worry there.

More magic would have certainly helped the TK. But then you run into the points limits fairly fast I think. Add 500 pts and the lists start looking very different quite fast.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:soften up the dwarves first.
In particular, kill the Organ Gun. It helps that the TK's can heal as well.
Prince of Spires wrote:More magic would have certainly helped the TK. But then you run into the points limits fairly fast I think. Add 500 pts and the lists start looking very different quite fast.
I wonder if it would have been more effective to go with a Lvl 4 as the only character. In the old TK book you had to have a Tomb King or Prince but I believe this is no longer the case?
Live_waaaaagh

#9 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:soften up the dwarves first.
In particular, kill the Organ Gun. It helps that the TK's can heal as well.
Prince of Spires wrote:More magic would have certainly helped the TK. But then you run into the points limits fairly fast I think. Add 500 pts and the lists start looking very different quite fast.
I wonder if it would have been more effective to go with a Lvl 4 as the only character. In the old TK book you had to have a Tomb King or Prince but I believe this is no longer the case?
Well, a Tomb Prince essentially gives Tomb Guard (or any unit he joins) WS5, and a Tomb King gives WS6.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

Live_waaaaagh wrote: Well, a Tomb Prince essentially gives Tomb Guard (or any unit he joins) WS5, and a Tomb King gives WS6.
But is it worth the points at this level? A kiktted out Tomb Prince is something like 125 pts or so? That is 10% of your army at this point. Does he make the army 10% better by being in there? Or would having more boots on the ground been better? I don't know the exact answer. But it's good to think about. Especially at this points level it's really worth considering what a model brings to the table.

:)

Check out my plog

Live_waaaaagh

#11 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Live_waaaaagh wrote: Well, a Tomb Prince essentially gives Tomb Guard (or any unit he joins) WS5, and a Tomb King gives WS6.
But is it worth the points at this level? A kiktted out Tomb Prince is something like 125 pts or so? That is 10% of your army at this point. Does he make the army 10% better by being in there? Or would having more boots on the ground been better? I don't know the exact answer. But it's good to think about. Especially at this points level it's really worth considering what a model brings to the table.

:)
Valid point is valid! Perhaps I experiment a game without a Tomb Prince or King and see how it goes. Did someone call for Arkhan maybe? :D
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#12 Post by SpellArcher »

Magic (and shooting) tend to be especially powerful in smaller games.