ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Game 5]

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

pk-ng

ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Game 5]

#1 Post by pk-ng »

Overview
Hi guys.

As requested by Swordmaster I will try to map out the 8 games I had at this year's ETC tournament at Prague, Czech Republic which I had the privilege of representing for Singapore. I was using my High Elves with the following list.

List
Tyrion on Malhandhir: General, Sunfang, Dragon Armour of Aenarion, Heart of Avelorn, 410
Prince on Barded Elven Steed: Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Ironcurse Icon, Dragon Armour, 282
Archmage on Elven Steed: Level 4, High, Dispel Scroll, Crown of Command, 300
Noble on Barded Elven Steed: BSB, Banner of the World Dragon, Spear, Dragon Armour, Shield, 174
14 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 352
2x 5 Silver Helms: B, Shields, 2x 125
19 Phoenix Guard: FCG, Razor Banner, 360
3x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 3x 70
1 Great Eagle: Swiftsense, 60

Reasoning
I had thoroughly playtested this list and a variant of different styles as well, but our team had a some aspects which I needed to comply with when I finalise my list.
1) It had to be mobile and needed to be able to run / avoid to minimise point lost when/where necessary
2) To have Banner of the World Dragon.
3) Sufficient banners to play in any scenarios.

So when I created this list I had to ensure that a unit was able to to touch down in combat and smash whatever it touch in the least amount of time. It also needed a mobile element in the event I need to conserve points (as seen later) in a "bad matchup". As well I need some defensive elements as elves are traditional pansies with expensive pointed units and need a balance between combat / range / magic as I do not believe in heavily investing in one aspect. Since scenarios have been just been introduced to this year's match up process I need sufficient banners to contest in Blood & Glory and King of the Hill if I were selected to play these match up.

With the Banner of the World Dragon, it ensured that at least the "Bus" was protected from majority of magical threat. Tyrion in certain match up was able to be placed in the PGs to ensure that they would also get a 2++ against magic. This made my 2 combat blocks hard to kill using magic. As well in certain match up (mainly vs mirror) I could place my Level 4 in the PG along with Tyrion so that they could push forward to clear threats where necessary (mainly RBTs) before my bus can make appearance. This made the list have a higher degree of flexibility but against other match up it was a liability.
The "bus" would provide the "punch" whilst the PG provided me with another combat block and some RnF troops to assist in disrupting ranks.
This was a balancing act between all the elements of the army.
Combat - was covered through the "fighty" characters and PGs
Range - was limity covered through the RBTs.
Magic - was covered through the Level 4
Mobility - was covered by the Bus and High Magic (through Walk Between the World).
Defense - was covered through, terrain, Banner of the World Dragon and Tyrion with PG

Composition
This year's ETC was more interesting compared to previous years because it was one of the most "open" ETC composition I've seen to date. Comp is a very subjective issue and there is really no point of discussing but I do believe it was one of the more "better" comps. Nonetheless for the first time in ETC WHFB history a) special characters were allowed and b) scenarios were included.

Special Characters
Traditionally speaking special characters were never allowed in most tournaments because in previous editions they were deems too "overpowered / too powerful" but it seems that with 8th edition army that these characters were comparatively "toned down". In the worst case scenario at least special characters could be " comped" where necessary to ensure they were not combined with other powerful elements of the army. If memory servers me correctly the most appeared special characters were Count Mannfred, Karl Franz and Slugtongue. Teclis made a couple of appears, as did Kairos, Tyrion, Galrauch and Kholet. Skulltaker also made 1 appearance.

Scenarios
Scenarios were introduced and rotated on the following list
Battleline
Meeting Engagement
Blood & Glory
King of the Hill

Round 1 rotation - BL, ME, B&G, KotH
Round 2 rotation - ME, B&G, KotH, BL
Round 3 rotation - B&G, KotH, BL, ME
Round 4 rotation - KotH, BL, ME, B&G
Round 5 rotation - BL, ME, B&G, KotH
Round 6 rotation - ME, B&G, KotH, BL

As it can be seen each of the scenarios were rotated in each game thereby greatly changing the match up process. This gave another dimension for the tournament which each team need to consider. My opinion was that the scenarios were a positive inclusion for the pack and added an extra dynamic to it.

Battleline
Traditionally played in all tournaments.
No special changes.
150 VP per BP

Meeting Engagment
Newly introduced with some rules charge.
Player 1 chooses "diagonal" and side for deployment
Player 2 deploys first, whilst player 1 deploys second
After player 1 deploys he can steal the "initiative" on a 6
150 VP per BP

Blood & Glory
Same setup as described in the BRB but
200 VP per BP
Maximum number of BP that can be award through kills is capped at 17-3 (or 3-17).
First person to get broken and the opponent gets 1BP. If opponent remains unbroken than additional 2BP is award for a maximum of 20-0

King of the Hill
Same setup as described in the BRB for Watchtower but
200 VP per BP
Maximum number of BP that can be award through kills is capped at 17-3 (or 3-17).
Player than captures the "hill" (the extact centre) at the end of the game with a unit with Standard Bearer gets awarded 3 BP for a maximise of 20-0.

It'll be the first time I'll be using Battle Chronicler so please bare with me.

So for my brief summary please look at the list below of which country, army and score I got.

Summary
Warm Up 1 : New Zealand vs HE 12-8
Warm Up 2 : Sweden vs HE 11:9
Game 1: Turkey vs BM 17:3
Game 2: Norway vs HE 10:10
Game 3: Finland vs WC 13:7
Game 4: Scotland vs DW 11:9
Game 5: Netherlands vs SK 20:0
Game 6: Wales vs DW 11:9
Last edited by pk-ng on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team Singapore [Overv

#2 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Many thanks, pk-ng! I hope I don't look like I enforced you to write the reports but I really think even a short review is something people, in particular all of us who didn't participate in the event, will be very interested in.

Looking forward to the reports! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
pk-ng

#3 Post by pk-ng »

Haha no no SM! All good! Wanted to do it but it just seems like a daunting task and I've never been good at writing reports :).
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

#4 Post by pk-ng »

Warm Up Game 1 - New Zealand - High Elves - James Brown - Gas Monkey

So our first warm up game was against High Elves and our prized New Zealand / Singapore Shield! I was paired up with a mirrior match up!

My list
Tyrion on Malhandhir: General, Sunfang, Dragon Armour of Aenarion, Heart of Avelorn, 410
Prince on Barded Elven Steed: Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Ironcurse Icon, Dragon Armour, 282
Noble on Barded Elven Steed: BSB, Banner of the World Dragon, Spear, Dragon Armour, Shield, 174
James' List
Prince on Star Dragon: General, Heavy armour, Shield, Lion cloak, Star Lance, The Other Trickster's Shard, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Preservation, 645
Archmage: L4, High, Dispel Scroll, Khaine's Ring of Fury, 270
Noble: BSB, Halberd, Dragon armour, Banner of Eternal Flame, 117
24 Archers: FCG, 270
2x 6 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 2x 168
27 White Lions of Chrace: FCG, Banner of the World Dragon 431
4x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 4x 70
1 Great Eagle: 50
We got drawn on Table 5 with Meeting Engagement.
This is a standard Star Dragon list with min / max approach and there are a couple of elements I need to neutralise early on in order for me to win this game.

His spells are High 1, 2, 3, 5
Whilst mine are High 1, 2, 5, 6

Primary Objectives
1) To take out the RBTs to ensure that my Bus could freely move around on the map giving me more board control.
2) To kill unforge the BotWD so that my characters can go to town on the WLs. With the BotWD down I can chop down the WL in 2-3 combat phase thereby netting me lots of points.
3) Pull the scroll within turn 1 or 2.

Secondary Objectives
1) Wound the Star Dragon before committing into combat with him
2) Unforge the dragonhelm

I was able to win the dice roll for choosing sides (which I better for me), thereby allowing me to react to his deployment whilst he would need to cater for my unknown deployment. Deployment was as follows.

Analysis of Deployment
Predictable that he would deploy his Star Dragon behind the hill thereby limiting LoS. His 2x sets of RBTs imo are very vulnerable now as I can advance and use his hill and the limited range of RBT to minimise attacks from them. His 2 helms are too far to be of any use in the early stages of the game thereby pushing James to be a on defensive whilst he gets them into position and I can push to contain his elements on the western side of the board. I have my elements position in the event I roll 6 I can engage his Eagle and RBT which are poorly protected. I also have the the sufficient range to get Unforging off on his WLs.

Henceforth James is known as BE (Bad Elf) whilst I'll refer myself as HE (High Elf) :p.

BE Turn 1
He pushes his SD up and is protected from all but 1 RBT. His Darts advances slowly due to the wall and forest which reduces their advancement significantly thereby giving me more time to threaten his western front. He swift reforms his Archers and WLs to face me and also ensure the BotWD is as far as possible from my mage (34"+). Magic is 4,3 -> 7-4. He 3 dice HoG BS on the RBT which I let through and it adds 3 BS to it. Next he 3 dice WBW but I dispel with my 4 dice. I definitely did not want his Star Dragon in my back lines cause me havoc - even though it would like his dragon in a non-supportive position he would dominate all my supporting elements and I would need to heavily react to his new position. Afterwards he 1 dice apothesis for the ward save. Shooting sees that he kills some of my helms from the Left dart unit. Panic is passed.

HE Turn 1
In order for my Left Dart to charge his Great Eagle in the corner I charged my own Great Eagle into the RBT (needing 22") but it fail high enough for my darts to move through. My Left Dart make the charge into his Great Eagle in the corner of the board which in essences gives me board control on this corner of the map. I shuffle the rest of my units to counter his movement, mainly zoning out the Star Dragon. Magic is 4,4 -> 8-4. I 2 dice HoG BS on the RBT which he lets through and it adds 3 BS. 5 dicing Unforging on the prince pulls the scroll which means I can be more aggressive now. Shooting was amazeballs which results in 2 RBT going down and 2W on the Star Dragon. Combat see we both fluff our attacks and he holds. An excellent first turn as I have completed 1 + 1/2 my primary objective - drawing the scroll and neutralising the RBTs.

BE Turn 2
With my Great Eagle and another unit of Darts threatening his RBT he pushes his archers up to try and thinen them out. His Darts continue to advance closer to me but moves slowly. Magic is 6,4 -> 11-7. 3 dice HoG BS is dispelled whilst 4 dice Boosted Apothesis on the SD is let through; I didn't want him to get WBW on his dragon into an unfavourable position. 4 dice boosted WBW on the WL fails to cast. Shooting see some of my darts dying and failing their panic test and flee. Combat between my Dart and his Eagle see 1 Helm die but I hold.

HE Turn 2
Great Eagle charges the RBT whilst the Bus push up to be in range of magic and the mage joins them. Magic is 4,1 -> 5-4 and I unforge the Prince's Talisman of Preservation. Shooting kills some archers. Combat ensues and my Dart vs his Eagle continues their pillow fight! My Eagle beats his RBT to a pulp and I overrun to ensure he lives another day.

BE Turn 3
His Turn 3 see his Darts getting into position and some minor shuffle in his units. Magic is 6,5 -> 11-6 which is big for him. I dispel HoG on the RBT but he get WBW on the WL and Unforging on the mage which I scrolled the later. Shooting does minimal and combat sees his Eagle breaking after another round of pillow fight. I reform to ensure my Helms were either in soft cover from the Archers and position it so that it would be out of range next turn to preserve points.

HE Turn 3
I consult my coach as I saw an opening with the Archers and WLs together on his side of the board whilst his Dragon and darts were closer to my side of the board but too far to support his Archers and WLs next turn. I got the nod to go ahead and move up aggressively with my bus so what I could follow up with a turn 4 charge on either his Archers and/or WLs (assuming I had the BotWD down; I estimated ~13 kills on the charge include using the breath weapon then another 2-3 rounds of combat before the WLs disappear and I would get 943VPs = 6BP). I failed to check the distance between my Bus and his WLs; which he would capitalise on his next turn. I wasn't able to push my PG to support the Bus as I didn't have enough movement and the Dragon would of been staring down my flank. Magic is 6,3 -> 9-6 which I 2 dice HoG M on the PG (+3M), he lets through. Next I 5 dice unforging on his BotWD and he couldn't stop it. I fail to wound and also fail to roll the 1 necessary to destroy it :/. Shooting kills some models here and there.

BE Turn 4
This is a big turn for him as his WL bus charged my bus and was only 14" apart. He rolled the necessary 9 and it touches down. I'm in trouble in terms of mu bus effectiveness reducing significantly. I wasn't afraid of the WLs as thanks to his BSB they had failing attacks but it means it would take significantly longer and I would need alot of luck or bad luck on his side to wither down the WLs. This star dragon acts as road block staring down the flank of my Bus whilst protecting his WL's flank against my PG. Magic is 3,1 -> 5-4. He 2 / 3 dice spells to increase the ward save of the WLs. Shooting and combat results in nothing / minimal wounds as he and I can't hurt each other.

HE Turn 4
I charged my Great Eagle into the WL combat (and in hindsight I didn't think this through properly; should of set up a flank charge or not purposely lose 60 points!). PG with their additional movement charge the Star Dragon to lock it down. Magic is 3,1 -> 5-4 and I get boosted HoG on the PG (+2). Combat see that his General dies for his troubles. My Bus vs his WLs see minimal damage on either side and the pillow fight will ensue for the rest of the game.

BE Turn 5
This turn see his both his dart charging into my PG (only 1 make it in due to the avaliable space). Magic and shooting is minimal. Combat continues and the Star Dragon plus Helms continue to beat down on the PG.

HE Turn 5
Shooting see that I panic the unengaged dart (picture above is wrong). Magic see that I boost the PGs WS to 8 through HoG. Shooting kills some of his Helms and the pillow fight continues. The PG keep getting beaten down and continues to hold.

BE Turn 6
Magic is contained and combat see the pillow fight continuing and the PG holding up.

HE Turn 6
For the final turn of the game magic sees that I cast Fiery Convocation on the Archer which reduced the unit to less than 25% (if my memory serves me correctly) and shooting does nothing. The PG got beaten to a pulp and 1 guy survives! Thereby preserving 205 points!.

We count up the scores and it is 849:459 - 12:8 to me!
I had this up as a 13-15 if I could get the RBT down fast enough...which luckily I did. But my turn 3 "push" almost costed me the game but I was able to preserve points and grab whatever I could through the RBTs as I had range superiority after neutralising 3 of his. I am happy of my score but I knew I could of scored more points off him as throughout the game I felt that I was controlling the tempo of the game and he was "dancing to my tune".

Unfortunately for this round we lost to New Zealand and also lost the our beloved shield :(.
I guess better luck next time...if there is a next time :p
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Warm Up 1]

#5 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi pk-ng!

I didn't realize you are going to provide full reports! I am so happy, that is absolutely fantastic and it is by far the best ETC report I have read so far! And more to come! :D

Congratulations on the victory, these games are not easy, you can assume the opponent will know your tricks. I wonder if you know what was the goal for your opponent? Push? Conserve points?

You both seem to approach quite shy towards each other. I understand yours since you explained that in detail and when you had a chance you moved fast forward after eliminating the threats (reminds me about our game :)). However, your opponent was very careful and didn't risk any maneuvers. I wonder if he could have not push harder and use his own darts to create distractions for your bolt throwers?

It's indeed a pity that you left that 9+ charge of Lions as an option. Fortunately, nothing happened although from spectator point of view it looked quite static from now on. Another question, was it worthy moving your remaining Silver Helms to the flank of the lions and charge them from that direction? It would not change the fact they would have been stubborn but at least you had a chance to grind them faster. Or was it the presence of the BSB there that was discouraging? However, looking at BSB's equipment he was easy to kill. On the other hand, it would remove flaming attacks that was a good thing for your heroes. Anyway, was that an option you considered?

Thanks again and keep them coming! Can't wait to read them!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
pk-ng

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Warm Up 1]

#6 Post by pk-ng »

Well hopefully I can smash them out all by 2 weeks times as details are already starting to slip!

I actually talked to James after the game and we've actually played each other on UB before and I used a different variant of each other's list (his was pretty much the same but he was using Heavens before). His belief was he had the upper hand as his Star Dragon would beat up all my combat characters so therefore he was waiting for his other elements to get into position before engaging. In our previous games I was able to kill the Star Dragon convincingly because of 2 combat characters going in successively will take it down. I also had range superior by the time he touched down so there was a high probability that the SD would be wounded and/or the Prince dead. The key item for the Dragon is TOTS...once that is down the SD doesn't actually do that much damage especially to non-infantry combat characters and more importantly high magic does not help the SD that much in combat...only spell is useful is HoG but his only stat in which it needs to improve is I and other related stats (WS) is already higher than most units. Heavens on the other hand is very very useful due to iceshard blizzard, Harmonic convergence and curse of the midnight wind. Throughout the game I didn't feel that the Star Dragon was controlling me nor the game for a 700ish point model.

Our shyness I believe comes down to the mentality that ETC brings. You are trained to converse points where possible and also not take risk. Why take DT test when you can avoid it? 2 failing can result in panic test and a lost of 168VP (1BP) which is huge! His darts were placed in a bad position and could not threaten me until the later turns of the game. In general I believe his deployment was bad as it was stretched out way too much and he was trying to cover all possibilities of the deployment; he should of just deployed tighter and position his forces on the assumption he would go first (risky move but it would pay off).

My helm darts going in would be giving free points as they wouldn't help against the grind. S6 would chop them down in 2 rounds on combat (remember all my darts had sustained damage by then). I actually wanted to keep his BSB alive until the last possible moment as he had given flaming attacks to the WLs which helped me immensely....he couldn't hurt me at all. Once the WL had touched down my only option was to try and kill the mage whilst hoping he would roll lots of 1s when my Prince and Tyrion strikes!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Warm Up 2]

#7 Post by pk-ng »

Warm Up Game 2 - Sweden - High Elves - Dennis Palmkvist
So our second warm up game was against Sweden and I was matched up against another High Elves mirror match! I guess it was my destiny to have civil war

against my brothers!

My list
Dennis' List
Loremaster: General, L2, Gem of Sunfire, Book of Hoeth, 305
Archmage: L4, Light, Wand of Jet, Ironcurse Icon, 260
Mage: L1, Light, Dispel scroll, 110
Mage: L1, Light, 85
Noble: BSB, Heavy armour, Shield, Standard of Discipline, 116
2x 5 Ellyrian Reavers: SB, 2x 90
2x 5 Ellyrian Reavers: 2x 80
24 Archers: M, SB, 260
28 White Lions of Chrace: FCG, Banner of the World Dragon, 444
2x 1 Frostheart Phoenix: 2x 240
Total: 2,400
We got drawn on Table 8 with Battleline.

So the imfamous HE Light council list whom its originally author took it again. I actually like this list alot and if it weren't for the requirements of my team I may of fielded something similar to this. It's very versatile with a wide variety of spells to cast and choose from but more importantly when it comes to certain match up it can do really well. It isn't forced to engaged and can be hard to get points off if played well. HE excel in range power and this list compliments the HE prowess. It's got all the good/essential items in a HE list: BoH, BotWD, Scroll, Frostie. I personally would of dropped 1 Frostie for RBT as this would give me more shooting threat and flexbility in which magic can't handle (i.e BotWD).

His spells
L4 Light: 1, 3, 4, 5
L1 Scroll: 0
L1: 2
Whilst mine are High DM, 2, 5, 6
This is a perfect magic line up for me. 5 + 6 is obvious compliments as it can threaten both the Archers and the WL (once the BotWD is down). He knows that every phase he needs to dispel unforging otherwise he'll be in big trouble. DM is there because of all his potential buffs he can give his WL once in combat.

Primary Objectives
1) Need to kill the Reavers asap! The would reek major havoc on my non-flying list.
2) To kill unforge the BotWD so that my characters can go to town on the WLs. With the BotWD down I can chop down the WL in 2-3 combat phase thereby netting

me lots of points.

Secondary Objectives
1) At least get the Frostie down to 2W each so that he would be hestiant to commit them in combat!

Deployment

Analysis of Deployment
As it can be seen Dennis deployed predictably...tight and near the hill. 2 units of Reavers on the western flank are there to a) redirect me if necessary b) threaten my RBTs which he also knows are a bane to him Frostie. His most logical approach to fighting me is to magic magic and shoot shoot whilst his Frostie threaten my eastern flank which I only had 1 unit of darts protecting. I actually slightly deployed wrongly with my PGs as I didn't angle them enough for Tyrion to zone out both Frostie thereby I had to commit the darts earlier than expected but it was a good risk take (as seen later :)). I deployed predictable in the middle as Dennis had way more deployment than me so I had to have a flexible deployment and engage his WLs asap once the BotWD was down!

Henceforth Dennis is known as BE (Bad Elf) whilst I'll refer myself as HE (High Elf) :p.

BE Turn 1
Dennis was able to grab turn 1 and off we go! His Reavers on the western flank moved right up into my face to threaten my RBT and my flank. His two Frostie moved all the way up on my eastern flank thereby creating a pincer movement on my army. Magic is 6,2 -> 9-6 and he goes off with 3 dice 2D6 fireball on my RBT which he rolls 10 hits and activates Gem of Sunfire but unfortunately he rolled no 5s and only 3 6s :p thereby killing the RBT. Next he cast Net and Summoning spell in succession which I dispel and he finally cast 2 dice Banishment (with wand of Jet) but I scrolled it. Turn 1 he burns up all his offensive toys something I don't need to worry about later on! Shooting is minimal killing some PGs

HE Turn 1
My turn 1 see that I have to react to him with my western dart charging the Reavers and my eastern dart charging the Frostie through the ruins. Fortunately the eastern dart doesn't fail any DT! Both my combat units push up but they were too close to each other (sometihng which will affect me later on). The GE moves up to block his reaver from charging me RBT next turn. Magic is 4,2 -> 6-4 and I 5 dice unforging to burn his scroll. Shooting see I do 3W into the unengaged Frostie with single shooting. Combat see my western dart beating down the reavers to 1 man whilst my eastern dart does nothing and holds.

BE Turn 2
His turn 2 see his reaver block my Bus and PG (dammit and good move by him) and interestingly enough his wounded Frostie moved behind my PGs. Magic is 3,2 -> 5-4 and boosted banishment failed to cast. This results in the rest of his magic phase been contained. Shooting continues and takes 4 PG. Combat see only 1 dart die against the Frostie which means I hold him up! In the short term this is bad as if I break in my turn this gives him a turn 3 charge on something but on the long term it is good as I can concencrate my range firepower on his wounded Frostie assuming I hold in my turn. I hoped Asuryan was on my side!

HE Turn 2
Bus was required to clean up the reavers whilst the PG shuffle across to make more space between the Bus and themselves. With the western flank now cleared I push my units on this side up really aggressively as he had nothing to threaten it apart from reform and using magic / shooting to clear them which he probably won't as my guys do not pose a significant threat to his bunker nor his archers. Magic is 6,1 -> 7-6 and I start with HoG on the RBT which gives them +3BS (he obviously needed to let it go due to my follow up spell). Luckily I IF unforging on his BotWD thereby destroying it. MC is something not important / contained and both us knows now that he's in bigger trouble as I have magic and combat threat on his bunker. Shooting see only 1W on the frostie. Combat see his reavers dying and i reform to prepare for a turn 3 charge. Dart vs Frostie see him only doing 1w...win for me

BE Turn 3
Surprisingly the wounded Frostie charged into the back of the PGs and another reaver unit move into position to block the bus (again). He marches his archers up to neutralise the RBT the next turn and moves his bunker back. Magic is 6,1 -> 7-6 and he fails to cast 3 dice net on the bus and also fails to cast the summoning spell. Good for me but really suxy for him as his list excels if and when magic performs and so far its performance have been shit! Combat ensues and again the Frostie fails to perform and another dart bites the dust. Unfortunately my PG fail to kill the wounded frostie and I hold and reform.

HE Turn 3
I continue to clean up more reavers and swift reform the bus to wiggle pass the reavers. Magic is 6,2 -> 8-7 and I cast boosted HoG on the PG giving them +3 to all stats. I follow up 5 dice Fiery Convocation on the Archers and he needs 25 to dispel which he gets thanks to the BoH. Shooting see some archers die and combat see me break the frostie but I don't catch him. The other dart and frostie see my last helm die and frees him up for a turn 4 charge.

BE Turn 4
With nothing juicy to charge his unwounded Frostie moves behind the hill to assist in the impending doom awaiting him with my bus :). His other wounded frostie rallys and his Archers move up to threaten my RBT. His bunker moves backwards (surprise surprise). Magic is big for him 6,5 -> 12-6 and he starts with the traditional 2d6 fireball on my hill RBT which gets blown to bits! Next he cast banishment which I nullify and he follows up with iceshard blizzard on the PG but he IF it! Miscast results sees him roll 4 which kills a big chuck of the WL but his LM survives the cascade. Shooting luckily for me only does 1W.

HE Turn 4
Tyrion charges into the Frostie and the bus charge into the last unit of reavers blocking the way. With the PG severely depleted I turn tail and run and preserve the 360 points! Magic is 4,1 -> 5-4 and I IF Fiery Convocation on the WL! Killing a bunch of WLs and wounding the LM. Shooting see some more WLs die and combat see Tyrion do what he normally does and chops the Frostie's last wound. Bus predictably cleans up the reavers.

BE Turn 5
White Lions SR into a narrow front and continues to move back. L1 mage from the archer block moves out to block my bus and any possible character charging out shegigans :(. Magic is again very big for him 6,5 -> 12-6 which is very critical for him and he knows it. 2 dice fireball see 2 more PG dying thereby yeilding 180 due to been below 25%. He tries to summon but I dispel it. He does 1w to eagle with burning gaze and dispel Fiery Convocation.

HE Turn 5
Turn 5 see me take some gamble and I charge the Helm + GE in to his bunker (in hindsight I should not of done this). The bus is forced to charge the redirecting mage and Tyrion pushes up as far as he can. The PG continue to run around hill. Magic 2,3 -> 5-4 and I get HoG M on the PG to ensure their flight is guarantee away from the Frostie. Combat ensues and my eagle dies whilst his mage dies.

BE Turn 6
Archer flank charge the Bus in order to lock it down. Magic is 2,1 -> 5-2 which see Iceshard been dispelled but Wildform going up. Combat see my dart vs WL die but my Bus holds and I reform to face the archers. I actually should of reformed a different way - which was to reform wide in 1 line thereby ensuring my Mage would have LoS on his remaining bunker for Fiery Convocation as the bunker was on breaking point.

HE Turn 6
My turn 6 see me consult my captain into what Tyrion should do...either charge the Archer which was about 19" away if memory serves me correctly or move up and breath the remaining bunker unit (I only would of gotten 4 guys or something like that...he only had 2 WLs left which the template would not of hit both due the reform he did earlier). I was advised to charge the Archers which he promptly fails. Magic is 5,3 -> 8-5 and HoG get through on the Bus. Shooting see that I kill 1 WL (1 is left) and wound a character. Combat see that his archers doesn't break.

After calculating the points it was 912:680 - 11:9 to me!

Reflecting back reform on his turn 6 would of been pivotal and I was actually leaning towards flaming his bunker. With these too factors coming into play I believe his bunker would of died there by netting me an additional 222 points and maybe another character or 2 or if I'm lucky the unit fails rerollable 10 break test (highly unlucky but it's warhammer). This would of been an additional 1-5 BPs for me. After talking my coach and my opponent we realise my coach was mis-informed about the situation and in hindsight he said he would of told me to gun for the WL but for some reason I and my coach rushed through the consultation. If we had calculated the points properly and also did the math my way would of been better.

Anyway another had fought victory but Singapore lost to the Swedes for this round!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#8 Post by Curu Olannon »

Really enjoying these, especially the game vs Dennis. It definitely confirms my fears about our matchup.

One question: Why did you choose to have the L4 in the bus intead of with the PG to provide a 3++? Did you want to 5-dice and feared dead PG from a miscast? Given your spell selection I guess you often go for the big ones.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
pk-ng

#9 Post by pk-ng »

I thought about that before but I did not want to risky doing an unnecessary damage to it (mainly via miscast) as I presumed that he would be using his Archers to shoot at the PGs which was later to prove correct. He didn't have any RBT therefore there wasn't a point to risk the AM in the PGs but compared to your list I would need to put Tyrion and AM into the PGs and neutralise the RBTs first before I can "push". RBT make the matchup and strategy vastly different.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Galdor

#10 Post by Galdor »

Enjoying these reports! Look forward to more.

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer silver helm darts to reavers in your list? I ask as I am planning to use quite a similar list (PG and Sh bus), without Tyrion, in an upcoming tournament, but was planning on using reavers as my redirectors/warmachine hunters.
pk-ng

#11 Post by pk-ng »

It's a trade off. Needed to secure my banners and therefore I sacrificed my mobility for better armour saves. Darts can somewhat for fill the Reaver role but to a limited extend so I just took the sacrifice. To me the darts surviving was more important and also I had the added flexibility of Walk between the worlds if I needed the extra wiggle room.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

#12 Post by pk-ng »

Game 1 - Turkey - Beastmen - Devin Erelcin
Firstly I would like to apologise for the inaccuracy of some of the diagrams. It's already been 2 weeks since my games and can't quite remember the exact movements and I didn't take pictures in between! Work has been pretty hectic so I'll try and smash the BR out asap! Thanks and enjoy the read!

So for our first game we had the honour of playing against Turkey for their first offical ETC game! They were a great bunch of guys and girl....yes there was a girl playing dwarves :) and unfortunately I couldn't get the match up :P. I had the priviledge of playing against Beastment; list are as follows

My list
Devin's List
Great Bray-Shaman: General, L4, Shadow, Talisman of Endurance, Dispel Scroll, 290
Doombull: MoT, Great weapon, Armour of Destiny, Arabyan Carpet, 360
Doombull: MoT, Gnarled Hide, Heavy armour, Shield, Ram Horn Helm, Sword of Striking, Talisman of Preservation, 363
Wargor: BSB, Heavy armour, Shield, Chalice of Dark Rain, Dragonhelm, 166
Bray Shaman: L1, Shadow, Scroll of Shielding, Obsidian Amulet, Ironcurse Icon, 125
7x 5 Ungor Raiders: MoS, 7x 35
18 Ungor Herd: FCG, MoS, 123
10 Ungor Raiders: M, MoS, 73
3x 1 Tuskgor Chariot: MoS, 3x 85
3x 1 Razorgors: 3x 55
30 Bestigor Herd: FCG, MoN, Standard of Disipline, 465
5 Harpies: Scout, 70
Total: 2,700
We were placed on Table 5 and playing Battleline as our scenario. Looking through his list there are alot of "chaff" 4 of which ambushed whilst the others were deployed. Initially I placed this as average game 10-12 as assuming typical ETC player, his tactic would to feed me his cheap units whilst he positions his combat elements to take apart my units. It'll also be hard for me to get big points as I most likely would he would be dictating the pace and tempo of the game and more importantly I would be the one "dancing to his tune"...but it ain't over until the fat lady sings!

His spells
L4 Shadow: 0, 2, 3, 5
L1 Shadow: 0
Mine
L4 High: SQ, 5, 6
Forgot what my 4th spell was but throughout the game I only used the 3 spells stated. Shadow is an interesting choice and I find none of his spells are a threat to me. Pit of Shades literally does nothing to me and is only dangerous to my RBT but it has a relative short range

Primary Objectives
1) Need to clear all the chaff units asap.
2) Neutralise the Doombulls or Bestigor to score more points.

My plan would be to only engage in his soft points and units I know I can break on the charge. His Bestigor would be the biggest problem because of MoN and S6 and it's also quite a big unit. I would need to significantly reduce their numbers via Fiery Convocation as realistically my shooting would be shooting down all the chaff and if I have extra dice for SQ I would also be gunning for chaff. Once the chaff has been neutralise I can engage at my own terms but it would probably be turn 5 or 6 by the time everything is in place unless sometime lucky happens to me..... :D.

Deployment

Analysis of Deployment
I deployed very heavily on the right flank as I wanted him to spread his chaff out so I can take them out piece meal at a time and won't suddenly be chaff up. This gives me a very strong right flank whilst he takes a strong left flank which is good for me as my fast elements are on more flank-ish side and my slower elements (PGs) are holding the centre thereby minimising their time to react. His elements left flank elements are relatively slow and my 1 dart should be able to threaten anything that comes down that flank when necessary. My strategy here would be to push the right flank whilst my magic does its work and kill off as much soft points as I can. I would assume he would be screening his bestigor whilst pushing that unit as he knows he can threaten me with it and I would probably be avoiding it.

BM Turn 1
Beastmen seizes the initative and goes first and he is off to a good start with 3 ambushers coming on and 2 of them threatening my RBTs! All his elements push up to swarm me Zerg style! Magic is big for him 4,3 -> 8-4. He uses 2 dice with misama on RBT which I let through then follows up with another one which I dispelled. He tries to Pit the PG and luckily or unluckily IFs; Pit does nothing as it scatters wildly off! Miscast sees that a big bunch of bestigor dies and the L4 cascades! Great start for me making my life alot easier.

HE Turn 1
With my RBT been threaten I move 1 to give space to Tyrion to block 1 unit of ambusher whilst my GE move to threaten the other for a follow up charge and my dart on the right also reform to threaten the blocked unit in the event he doesn't charge Tyrion can still move into position for turn 2. Other elements push up for magic range as he doesn't have a L4 anymore which means I can bully him in the magic phase. Magic is good for me with 4,2 -> 6-4 split. I was in a tussle to cast either Unforging on the Flying DB or Fiery Convocation on the Bestigor and I chose the latter as it's an easier target to catch. Fiery Convocation goes on the bestigor and he uses his scroll of shielding on them. With the MR(2) still in play the only 1 bestigor sccumbs to the magic. Shooting is minimial as only 2 RBT can shoot (1 of which has misama on it) and he has also used his chalice.

BM Turn 2
His turn 2 see that no ambushers come on. Charges he uses 1 of the raiders threatening my RBT to charge into it hoping to neutralise it....but he forgets they are elves :). With the right flank no been protected now he pushes his harpies up to try and neutralise another RBT. Everything else continue to swarm into me. Magic is low 2,1 -> 3-3 and he fails to dispel Fiery Convocation...9 bestigor go down. Combat see my RBT holding and killing 1 guy in return.

HE Turn 2
The eagle flank charges the ambushers in combat with my RBT and the right dart charges the ambusher facing off with Tyrion. With his other DB pushing up I move my elements to zone it out. Magic is 4,1 -> 5-4 and I unforge his non-flying DB which sees his ramhorn helm destroyed. Fiery convocation continues to burn and a couple of bestigor bites the dust. Shooting see some harpies dying but didn't panic. Combat see all the ambushers on my side of the board are killed and my units reform for a follow up movement next turn.

BM Turn 3
In my turn I had done some long charges into his raiders and chariot bother of which fled meaning his Razorgor was in prime position to hit on the flank which he duly did. Harpies follow on with their charge into the RBT. Magic was big enough for him to dispel FC (6,2 -> 8-6). Combat see the harpies fleeing (not surprising) and surpisingly my Helms did 2 into the Razorgor and he did none which resulted in it fleeing and me chasing (winnah).

HE Turn 3
I push my bus to see if I can finish off the bestigor because it's really hurt. Magic is 5,1 -> 6-6 and I was able to get unforging off on his Flying DB which sees his AoD destroyed. Shooting see some models die in various units and combat see my dart beating the raiders and I refrom to threaten his units.

BM Turn 4
His chariot tries and charge my dart but fails and his pushies his chaff up to block my bus whilst his bunker units start to retreat. I was surprised that he would do this as he had his 3mins with his coach and was told to push and get points whilst he was pushing back and preserving points.

HE Turn 4
I push my bus up pass the raiders blocking by swift reforming and wiggling pass them. The PG tried to charge the DB but failed. Magic is 5,1 -> 7-5 and he contains unforging. I get a small SQ off and kill some bestigor. Shooting as usual does very little.

BM Turn 5
From this points on my opponent starts to preserve as many points as possble and at this point I'm about 6 points up. He pushes everything back and moves up to block my bus and other units and see if he can take any soft points.

Over the next remaining turns I was able to charge the bestigor unit by charging my prince out of the bus and clear up whatever points I could using magic and some shooting. My other units also charge to pick up some points. On my last turn I charge the flying doombull with my Prince in the hopes that if I can break him I could maybe get 20-0 (I was up about 19-1) but this turns out to be a bad idea as my princes got hit back with 3 S8 attacks and I fail to save any of them (I needed a 6+/6+/6++).

Having a look back I think I captalise on my opponents lost of L4 and he seemed to move his units up in small waves and didn't overwhelm me with strength in numbers & position which would of placed me in a bigger position. Overall he did alot of mistakes and I was able to capitalise on his poor deployment and the lost of his L4. At the end I got greedy as I was gunnning for a 20-0 and wasn't thinking straight and more important didn't assess the situation properly. I think if I changed my last turn charge and instead tried to magic / shoot at the flying doombull (2 RBTs had clear LoS and he had no AoD) I would of been able to clear the Doombull and ensure a 20-0 or at least 19-1.

1539:432 - 17:3

Again sorry for the poor last few turns as I'm starting to forget things and only remember key elements. I'll try and get the other games up as soon as possible.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Game 1]

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

Yes, thanks for the reports Eldwin, certainly doesn't show that you're new to this! Out of interest can you remember who brought Skulltaker? He's got some interesting tricks.

Looking at your results I don't envy you facing double Dwarfs. The first Bad Elf (like it!) is the current NZ Master isn't he? I was struck by the point you made about hitting the eagle and securing local board control. Also the HoG on the PG, Movement boost can be very effective with this. You were a bit unlucky not to Unforge World Dragon. But hey, one PG left is a win!

I'm starting to see what Curu meant about the Coven match-up, especially because even S7 Banishment does nothing to your main units. Tyrion seems to have a lot going for him and he's not that bad vs cannon even. He looks very nasty vs Daemons for example. I was a bit surprised by the forward RBT deployment, was this because the hill gives cover? Your opponent's use of the Phoenixes was quite subtle, everything seemed to be aimed at keeping his bunker alive. Here you got payback with the IF Unforging.

Your first 'live' opponent had the de rigeur Tzeentch Doombulls. I know these are no joke, could he have been more aggressive with them? I was struck by your decision to deploy the Prince in the PG here. Obviously, his early Cascade was huge here. Losing not just his spellcasting but also +4 to Dispel and crucially, his scroll. He had to try Scroll of Shielding but the RIP was horrific. Could he have completely blocked the way for the bus by stringing his chaff out and leaving no gap for the Reform?

More please!

:)
pk-ng

#14 Post by pk-ng »

Hey hey SA! I definitely do remember that it was the Walsh team that brought Skulltaker (as we played them!). It's definitely quite an aggressively list and with Kairos I'm not even sure if I would be able to hold out against it. But I have the mobility BotWD unit so therefore I can really dictate how he engages me or vice versa :). But the biggest problem with Skulltaker is he has flaming attacks which mean all of my combat characters can take him on with impunity! Mwahahah! :)

I actually didn't know he was the current NZ master and after just doing some research I found you are right! I think in ME its an easy map where you can protect your flank relatively more easily as the game will eventually become something like Battle for the Pass. In which movement will be quite important as the spacing will be really tight, unless both players start off with corner hammer.

I'll be writing up on my "Game 2" against Curu so give an insight into both our thinking and strategy.

Overall I think if he literally pushed everything at me and used his harpies / raiders as screens I would have a big issue. Remember he has a lot more drops than me therefore he can dictate the where the battle is in the first few turns. If he had deployed his bunker more aggressive and in the middle with both DB on the same side of the impassable (what was in his deployment). He would of been able to push up and overwhelm me in turn 2 and I would be forced to engage in his terms but this would mean he would commit earlier and if things go unlucky for him (like the L4 cascading) then it would be very bad. Re the block the bus: yes he could of done it alot better IF i remember correctly this was the game where I had swift reform my bus literally every turn from 3 -> 5 - > 3 -> 5 wide - I don't think he anticipated I wouldn't charge the chaff and just SR to bypass them.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

#15 Post by pk-ng »

Game 2 - Norway - High Elves - Jarle Svendsrud
So for our next round we got drawn up against our 2nd nordic country (it would seem this was our trend for the tournament). I got drawn up against our on Curu therefore a civil war was bound to happen again! It was great to finally meet him in real life and it was going to be an interesting beer game :).

My list
Jarle's List
Loremaster of Hoeth: General, Book of Hoeth, Shield of the Merwyrm, Sword of Anti-Heroes, 330
Archmage: L4, Light, Power Stone, Ironcurse Icon, Golden Crown of Atrazar, 255
Mage: L1, Light, Dispel Scroll, 110
Lothern Sea Helm: BSB, Standard of Discipline, 140
20 Archers: FCG, 230
10 Archers: M, SB, 120
2x 5 Ellyrian Reavers: Swap for Bows, 2x 85
5 Ellyrian Reavers: 80
28 White Lions: FCG, Banner of the World Dragon, 444
4x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 4x 70
1 Frostheart Phoenix: 240
List Analysis
This is exactly the same as the Swedish Light Council I had played against the day earlier but with what I believe is more flexbility in the list. Jarle had dropped 1 frostie in exchange for 4 RBT which changes the match up quite significantly but he had less reavers (which is also a big deal). This means I would have to deal with less chaff but would probably be eating more shooting over the long term. I rated this match up around 9-11 with a possibility of 12/13 if I get lucky with my push; which means that if I have the RBTs neutralised early on and the BotWD down I would be able to go full baller on him by turn 5 if things go according to plan....but this is Warhammer and seldom things go according to plan!
The biggest concern for me against this list is the RBT and the amount of BS base shooting he has...even thought it is relatively low strength (S3 & S4AP) it is able to put out almost 60 shots per turn! More importantly he would be able to silence my RBT really earlier in the game through the use of his RBT and magic (fireball, shems, banishment) and eventually with sufficient amount of hits even they will go down. If I were to be the aggressor (which I would have to be since I have less range threat than me opponent) I would first need to neutralise the RBTs asap; meaning that I would probably place my L4 and Tyrion into them and push hard to ensure SQ is in range. My magic would need to consist of SQ, DM, Unforging and lastly either Tempest or Walk Between the Worlds depending on what the terrain is like. With the RBTs neutralised (or at least 2-3 down) my Bus would be able to come out of it's hiding spot and start to dictate the terms of the game and assuming BotWD is destroy only need to touch down on the WL with either the Prince or Tyrion (preferably both for obviously reasons) it would be a matter of time on how much I can kill / what he feeds me. The first few turns will be very very critical for me as I would need a) good spells/magic, b) good shooting. If in the first few turns don't go well I would be on the backfoot and my PGs would be in the middle of no where with no-to-minimal support and once my RBTs are down his Frostie would be to fly around with impunity and pick up all my soft points...which adds up quite a bit 880-930 (6 points) which if alot for me to get back.

Would of been nice to have a game to see whose theories are right but we will never know unless we get to play a mock battle? :). Anyway 2 schools of thought and it'll be an interesting outcome to see what happens :).
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Game 2]

#16 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks for that pk-ng.

I'll definitely look that Skulltaker list up. I wonder if it was Steve Follows. A 1+ AS dude is unique in a Daemon list (I'm presuming he took the Juggernaut?). Cannon are an issue but there'll be stuff around that can screen him and other artillery (RBT, Doom Divers) can be countered by joining units. The (H)KB looks pretty tasty. The Flaming is a big issue but Tyrion has the same, doesn't he? I guess open lists means you know where those Dragonbane Gems/Dragonhelms are.

So basically the Beasts guy can play safe and scrabble around for a draw/minor loss or he can get stuck in? In which case it could swing big either way? Interesting thoughts re Curu. I guess your two main blocks don't care about MM's but your support is liable to be picked off fast? He seemed to think Walk on the PG+characters would be a huge threat. I'd have thought that even with his Banner still up, the 3++ PG would terrorise the Lions. Not a straightforward matter to get an M5 block right across the table of course!

pk-ng

#17 Post by pk-ng »

Yes it was on a Jugg but there is also a unit of 5 bloodcrushers meaning that he has some protection from cannons. HKB is very nice and with an open list environment you can avoid the 2++ fire characters but it'll severely limited its movement options.

RE Game 1: Yes either safe for minor win/loss or draw OR push for swingy win.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

#18 Post by pk-ng »

Game 3 - Finland - Warriors of Chaos - Ville Saloranta
So our 3rd nordice country that we have played this year out of the possible 4! We just need to play Denmark and we have finished our nordic ETC adventures :)! Without further ado our list!

My list
Ville's List
Daemon Prince: General, L4, Slaanesh, Daemon of Slaanesh, Flaming Breath, Chaos Familiar, Soul Feeder, Scaled Skin, Daemonic Flight, Chaos Armour, The Other Trickster's Shard, Dragonbane Gem, Charmed Shield, 550
Exalted Hero on Barded Daemonic Mount: BSB, MoT, Great weapon, Shield, Talisman of Preservation, 249
Chaos Sorcerer on Daemonic Mount: L1, Undeath, MoN, Dispel Scroll, Chalice of Chaos, Enchanted Shield, Luckstone, 200
Throgg: 195
12 Chaos Trolls: 420
9 Chaos Trolls: 315
6 Chaos Trolls: 210
3 Skullcrushers of Khorne: M, SB, Gleaming Pennant, Ensorcelled Weapons, 259
Match Up Analysis
Well a very interesting and 1 sided list I was match up again. I was actually given the chance to either play against this list or play against their DE. For reference the list is:
Hellebron: General, Cry of War, Rune of Khaine, Witchbrew, Deathsword and the Cursed Blade, Amulet of Dark Fire, 310
Supreme Sorceress: L4, Metal, Dispel Scroll, The Other Trickster's Shard, Ring of Hotek, Shrieking Blade, 320
Master on Dark Pegasus: BSB, Lance, Heavy armor, Shield, Sea dragon cloak, Cloak of Twilight, 213
2x 5 Dark Riders: SB, Repeater crossbows, Shields, 2x 110
2x 10 Witch Elves: M, SB, 2x 130
10 Witch Elves: SB, 120
15 Shades: C, SB, Great weapon, 290
4x 1 Reaper Bolt Thrower: 4x 70
10 Doomfire Warlocks: C, 260
5 Doomfire Warlocks: 125
So it was either down to HE vs WC / HE vs DE OR SK vs WC / SK vs DE. Of the two list provided I would have a hard time winning in either games at most I can get a small win if I'm lucky and at best a draw...essential I would lose and depends how much I lose by. If it was the case that I was going to take one for the team my goal now would be to maximised points for the team that meant giving the SK a more favourable match up. So after discussing with our SK player we decided to pitch SK vs DE and HE vs WC!

List Analysis
First off the bat this list was "I'm F**ked" kind of list...there was no way I am able to chew through all 27 Trolls and good old Throgg! Vomit would essentially kill my entire Bus...at most I would maybe kill the 9 and/or 6 Troll units; no way in hell I would be able to take on the 12 unit of Trolls which would probably also have Throgg in there making it a quite mobile "bus".
Looking into detail
DP: Typical Slaanesh build with max defense and 5 spells of Slaanesh. Compliments this Throgg list quite well, as Aquiescence/Choir would make the Troll's job alot easier in catching units.
BSB: Nothing special the cutter cookie build
L1: Semi-fighty scroll caddy with excellent defense Interesting choice to have the Chalice of Chaos essentially giving him the possbility of getting another DP...1 is hard enough to deal with...
Throgg: The kicker of the list. 5S8 attacks and 2D6 S5 Breath Weapon no AS allowed...he is just nasty. Even if I can get into combat with him and challenge him out there's a slim possbility that I would kill him out right (he has 4W) whilst there is a very high possbility of him killing Tyrion out right...even if I have 3++ up on Tyrion it would be a risky endeavour to say the least.
Trolls: Enough said
Crushers: Minimal threat to me and I'm sure they are there as just a distraction / carry banner.

We got Table 6 with Battline (which is good for me meaning I don't need to commit to anything earlier

His spells
DP Slaanesh: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6
L1 Undeath: 0
Mine
L4 High: DM, 1, 3, 5

Primary Objectives
1) Minimise points lost

Secondary Objectives
1) Killing the Crushers, 6 and 9 man trolls. Anything else is a bonus!

Deployment

Analysis of Deployment
I won the roll for picking sides and I had purposely let him have the side with the impassable terrain in the middle of his deployment. The reasoning behind this was he would have to split his deployment on either side of it thereby needing to go around it rather than having his forces together. As I had more deployment than him he could try and deploy everything in the middle whilst I can use all my chaff units to dictate which side of the board I want to own. As you can see that on his western flank he has Crusher and the 9 man trolls then the DP holding the middle and than the 12 man and 6 man trolls on the eastern flank. I knew he would want his 12 man trolls to touch my bus and I needed to avoid that unit thereby I placed by bus on western flank with my PGs holding its lower flank side. The impassable terrain on my side did make movement for my PGs somewhat difficult but it was a price to be paid.

WC Turn 1
HE won the roll and off we go! Everything unsurprisingly pushes up with the Crushers moving at full speed into the forest. It was an easy charge for my bus into them and it was obviously a trap for my bus as he had placed his 9 man trolls within charge distance of this crushers. If charged by bus into the Crushers I would not have sufficient overrun to clear the trolls therefore I am forced to face the trolls head on. But if I didn't charge the Crushers it would limit where by bus could go and shooting may not (and would probably not) kill them all due to cover of the forest and positioning of the RBT. It was clear and obvious trap which I need to counter somehow! Magic was 4,1 -> 5-4 and he 5 dice Aquiescence which I stopped.

HE Turn 1
Image[/URL]
With his entire force coming into my face I knew I had to slow him down as quickly as I could and also try and pick up some points here and there. Firstly the Crushers threat - should I charge or not? If I charged I could get 284 points really easily as he can't hurt me and I would smash him bad but this in turn would mean I may get smacked around by the 9 man Trolls. I couldn't run pass the Crushers as that would mean the 9 man Trolls could still charge me. So with not other option I charged my Bus into the Crushers. Now the threat from the other 2 blocks of Trolls. What to do? Shooting and magic would be really ineffective so I just moved my chaff elements up to try and give him some bait and hopefully he would go for some easy points rather than trying to catch my bus. Magic is 4,1 -> 5-5 and my magic is contained. Combat see I smash the crushers and reform to face the Trolls onslaught...but I reform in such a way that the Trolls will not get steadfast in the event I don't do sufficient damage. On top of it I am forced to stay 5 wide as I need to maxmise static combat resolution. I must break the trolls or I'm scrrrrrrrrewed..../heart pumping hard.

WC Turn 2
Predictably the 9 trolls charge the bus. The L1 and the 6 man trolls split up and move into the forest near my deployment zone to try a turn 3 charge to each of the respective RBTs. The troll bus move to threat my Bus's flank and the DP comes out to a more centralised position so that his Slaanesh magic can reek some havoc on my clustered units. Magic is 6,1 -> 7-7 and he starts with aquiesence on the RBT which I dispel. He follows up with Choir which he IFs and only does 1W to the eagle...he rolls for miscast and it's 1,1! Unfortunately for me he doesn't cascade down the hole! Lady luck wasn't on my side :(. Combat becomes nervous for me and I am able to do 10W on him with the use of my breath weapon as well 10w + BSB, Banner maybe 1 rank = 13, whilst he has charge rank meaning he would need 12w with 6 trolls attacks to win combat...not achievable for him! He vomts (predictably) into my helms (good choice as I had risked my Prince to the front rank to do more damage!). I break him and pursued a massive 11" but 3 helms died for their troubles due to DT!

HE Turn 2
Image[/URL]
Time to run! The bus pushes as far as they could until they were behind the impassable terrain in his deployment zone. PG moves to try and intercept the L1 threatening the RBT. Right dart reforms to redirect the 6 man troll unit whilst the left dart unit smartly pushes into the rear of the troll bus so that they could not reform to face the bus in the following turn. Magic is big 5,5 -> 10-6 and I get apothesis and drain magic up to try and draw some dice whilst getting my ward save up but he doesn't fall for it. I 5 dice a boosted walk between the worlds and get it via IF. MC see I lose 2 wizard level and I lose unforging as well. The good thing is within 1 game turn I had moved up to 49" from the western flank all the way to the north eastern flank. He won't be able to catch me now!

WC Turn 3
6 man trolls charge the blocking dart whilst the L1 charge the RBT. The DP moves infront of the PG to stop them whilst the Troll bus reform to face the flank of the PG. Magic is 3,1 -> 4-3 and he gets aquiesence off the the PG thereby limiting my movement greatly. Combat see the darts die easily and whilst the L1 was held in the combat.

HE Turn 3
Image[/URL]
I move my eagle up to redirect the troll bus whilst the PG moved away from the DP at best possible speed. I reform my dart next to the Troll Bus to redirect them next turn. Unfortunately I totally forgot about the L1 mage...My bus pushes back towards my deployment to try and take on the 6 man trolls. I don't risk magic. Combat see the the L1 finish off the RBT and reform to face my darts

WC Turn 4
DP charges into the rear of the PG which will hold them in place over the next few turns. The 6 man troll unit charge into the RBT. Troll Bus into the GE and L1 into the last remaining dart. Magic is 6,5 -> 12-6 and I contain his 2 dice aquiesence whilst he IF Choir again and a couple of helms die for their troubles...MC doesn't do anything. Combat see the dart and RBT dying with the Troll overrunning whilst the PG hold against the DPs.

HE Turn 4
Image[/URL]
There's nothing much I can do and I push my helms to threaten the 6 man trolls that would come out of the board.

WC Turn 5
The Troll bus contacts the PGs and the 6 man troll come back on the back of the board. The L1 moves into a position so that he can summon some units to block my Bus. Magic is low and I scroll his summoning. Combat ensues and my PG get beaten to a pulp. He reforms to face my bus that is barrelling down the eastern flank.

HE Turn 5
Image[/URL]
I charge my bus into the 6 man trolls and beat them up convincingly, then overrun off the board.

WC Turn 6
With only the RBT left on the board for him to pick up points he moves his DP for magic. I didn't record down the exact split with my level 4 off the board I didn't think I could handle (even with him on the board he was only L2) his magic phase. He casts Hysterical Frenzy on the RBT with IF...he rolls for hits and get 2...and then gets 1w on it which I didn't save...miscast see he rolls for /drum roll......CASCADE again! Since the only important part is whether he will go down the hole we agree to just roll for that and he doesn't get the required 4+! 3 free points to me!

I didn't bother with playing my turn 6 as there wasn't anything I could do to pick up points.

Points were 1459:885 - 13:7! Winnah! Was so suprised when we tallied up the scores...I know the DP dying on the last turn would swing things greatly in my favour. If he hadn't lost this DP the scores would of been 809:885 - 10:10 which I would of been just as happy with but he thought he was severely down on points (he was since the start of my turn 1) and needed to pick up as many points as he could.

I think throughout the game he was pressured to grabs points and also the clock was ticking down. This made him take unnecessary risk / mistakes and more importantly I could tell he was frustrated at how he was doing in the game as he believe (and rightly so) this is an easy / push-over match up for him! After 3 miscast the DP finally died!

Anyway was superbly happy with the outcome of the game but unfortunately as a team we lost the round :(.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#19 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi pk-ng!

Thanks for the reports! I am going to try and catch up with the comments :) I will go straight to the ETC games and if I find time I will get back to the second warm up game too.

Round 1 - Beastmen

Just a technical thing to start with. In Battle Chronicler you can define the gap for the skirmishers. It is too large with default settings so when you tick lose formation box it will show you the numbers determining how big the gap between the models is. Just put 0.5 and you are ready to go!

You can also hide the label for the units so that the deployment does not look too messy when labels overlap. Just click the unit and on the menu in the bottom left corner tick appropriate box.

I also would like to thank you for adding the notes on the Objectives, the Plan and the Deployment! That makes it much more interesting because as a reader I know what you wanted to achieve and why did you deploy in particular way. Very much appreciated!

I always liked how you use your characters, Tyrion in this particular situation as well as charging Bestigors with the Prince. You really make up for the fact you have fewer regiments and it is a mistake to think you will keep them with a single unit as many bus drivers out there are doing. :)

Well done on defending the repeaters from the ambushers. That was really good defense!

It seems you know how to handle the armies with many small units very well :)

I was surprised to see your enemy being so shy as he could at least try to get the support regiments of yours but maybe that early cascade made him too nervous. I actually liked the fact you tried to gamble and get the Doombull. You still got the result much better than you expected and I assume you knew how the team is doing so why not? Do you think these 2-3 points would matter in the end?

Round 2 - High Elves

With so many people I knew from various forums I was hoping some of them would meet each other and having a report or at least a review from such game would be simply fantastic.

While I totally understand that in team tournament taking a draw without playing a game is a valid option, from the spectator point of view it is quite disappointing. Sure, you guys can play the game again but without all the pressure during the tournament it will never be the same.

Round 3 - Warriors of Chaos

I really like the way you explained the pairing and the choice you were given. Many people say how important is to get the favorable opponent or to create more green match ups than the enemy. But rarely it is described how it looks during the process. Thanks for that!

I assume it was also considered themed list thanks to Throgg and so many of his troll buddies :D

That gamble with trolls and Silver Helms was great. I called it a gamble but when you inflicted so many wounds it didn't look like a big deal for you at all! You have just bagged quite a substantial amount of points from this one!

Walk Between Worlds is an amazing spell and seeing how far you teleported your Silver Helms in comparison to the position where you started the combat with Trolls is just amazing! Really, really well done! =D>

Great on the overall result and while you claim it was very bad match up for you the only thing that you didn't pull out was to save PG from being charged and destroyed. I wonder what would you do differently to safe them?

In any case the result might be more than you expected but you played very well and took all the opportunities you had to get the points from the weaker enemy units while blocking his hard hitters. I agree, if you got a draw it would have been already a good achievement but it just shows again that the army list is not all you need to be better in this game! Well deserved victory for sure! =D>

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#20 Post by SpellArcher »

I agree with SM that the ETC face-off with Curu would have been great but I imagine the horrific heat had a lot to do with that decision?

I looked up that Daemon list and he wasn't messing around, was he? 5 Bloodcrushers don't see the table very often! He's got other interesting elements like the Palanquin too. Normally that's cannon-bait but not when the Juggernauts of Khorne are steaming towards you! He also has the Ambushing Flesh Hounds of course.

Yeah, the match-up rationale was interesting. At first sight a typical Dark Elf MSU list but Hellebron? Plus the OTS on the Sorceress? I was trying to work out the gameplan with those two.

So looking at that Warriors list he has double Breath Weapon, which is rarely fun for elves, that Slaanesh DP must be great vs Warlocks. Bubbled Choir looks less of a threat than usual because of the casting cap. He's gone OTS instead of Sword of Striking which makes him even more of a threat to the PG. They can't hurt him much and he grinds them down. He also beats Tyrion if big T leaves the bus unless you get lucky and Unforge the Gem, RBT work though. I believe Tyrion very likely kills Throgg before he can strike because the Breath Weapon probably does a couple of wounds and the attacks three. Though I'm not sure how well he weathers the serial vomiting from the unit. The PG look like they do OK vs the Trolls 1 on 1.

I wondered if the eagle should have started further forward so he could have intervened immediately? You seemed very concerned about the Trolls charging the bus pk-ng but you went straight through them. What were the odds on that fight I wonder? Also the Crushers couldn't really hurt it because of World Dragon, so could you have simply offered a flank to block them off or something if you didn't want to fight the Trolls immediately?

I liked the way you used the Helm Dart to block off Throgg's unit and it is so, so easy to forgot that damn reform after an enemy wins combat in your turn. I really liked the perfect timing of that Overrun off the field on turn five! Very lucky for him to get IF choir twice but it caught up with him in the end!
pk-ng

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Game 3]

#21 Post by pk-ng »

@SM
Battle Chronicler: Yo thanks for the tip! It'll definitely help me for future BRs :).
Game 1: It would of mattered just on a personal level but on the team level we had capped Turkey and wouldn't of changed who we played in game 2!
Game 2: Yes I agree with you...looking back I wish I could of played the game but was told to offer to secure the points. Team > Individual
Game 3 - Bus vs 9 Trolls: I actually wanted to save my breath weapon for Throgg in the event I got caught in which he would most likely challenge and I would have to accept with Tyrion (or if I needed to challenge) in order for me to kill Throgg in 1 turn. Highly unlike that I would win vs Throgg on 1v1 but you never know I may get lucky :).
Game 3 - PG: actually on turn 2 / 3 I had a critical choices of either staying on the right side of the impassable (which I did) or reforming to face the left side and move around the impassable and in hindsight I should of done that to preserve their points.

@SA
We knew Norway was a tough match up so we decide to secure points rather than risk a game, both of us has different perspective of the match up but we will never know what would of happened :)

Eagle was the 1st unit I placed for deployment and in hindsight you are probably correct. As I said to SM I wanted to keep the breath weapon and without them it would of been such a roll-over as the BR has suggested. It was essential that I broke those Trolls to ensure I didn't get flanked by the "Troll Bus". Neutralising the Crushers would of essentially let me controlled the left flank and I wouldn't need to worry about the crushers in the back line.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#22 Post by SpellArcher »

That big combat looks very complicated. If you get the charge pk-ng (the Daemon Prince might mess this up) I suspect you don't want to challenge. He has to because he has Chaos Champions and he won't with Throgg because Tyrion puts an average of five wounds on him. That leaves the BSB and you probably accept with the Prince to save him from vomit. Tyrion then puts an average of just under three wounds on Throgg and it's a question of whether the Helm attacks can finish him off. A lot might depend on how wide you go in and if you get a spell off for Shield.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#23 Post by Ferny »

Thanks for these. Very interesting competition and some of the last extant BRs in 8th still being posted. Will keep following with interest.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

Keep an eye on Elithmar's thread in Army Blogs Ferny.

I'll be starting a new blog in a couple of weeks, though not with full reports.
pk-ng

#25 Post by pk-ng »

SpellArcher wrote:That big combat looks very complicated. If you get the charge pk-ng (the Daemon Prince might mess this up) I suspect you don't want to challenge. He has to because he has Chaos Champions and he won't with Throgg because Tyrion puts an average of five wounds on him. That leaves the BSB and you probably accept with the Prince to save him from vomit. Tyrion then puts an average of just under three wounds on Throgg and it's a question of whether the Helm attacks can finish him off. A lot might depend on how wide you go in and if you get a spell off for Shield.
SA totally agree with you. If I engage I believe I would be on the back foot due to a number of conditions (this is assuming maximised combat)

Pro
- He would need to challenge
-- If challenging with DP or BSB -> Prince would accept
-- If challenging with Throgg -> Tyrion has to accept.

I believe the 2nd outcome would be the best scenario for him Throgg will be receiving less attacks overall and thereby have a higher chance of surviving in general and then can kill Tyrion in 1 turn. Actually once Tyrion and the Prince are down I have no combat power and it'll just be a matter of time before the Helms succumb to all the vomits.
Coming back to think about it I was surprised he didn't vomit on my combat characters!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

#26 Post by pk-ng »

Game 4 - Scotland - Dwarfs - Rob Ritchie
Round 4 saw as match up against the Scottish team with the imfamous Andy Potter commanding their Dark Elves. I was drawn up against stunties to get revenge on them during the War of the Beards!

My list
Rob's List
Lord on Shieldbearers: General, Shield, Master Rune of Snorri Spangelhelm, 2 Rune of Might, Rune of Warding, 308
Runesmith: Shield, Rune of Stone, Rune of Furnace, 2 Rune of Spellbreaking, 118
Runesmith: Shield, 2 Rune of Spellbreaking, 108
Thane: BSB, Great weapon, Master Rune of Grungni, 156
20 Quarrellers: M, SB, Great weapon, 300
20 Quarrellers: M, SB, Great weapon, 300
20 Hammerers: M, SB, 300
1 Gyrocopter: 80
1 Cannon: Forging: 145
1 Cannon: Forging, Burning, 150
1 Grudge Thrower: Forging, Accuracy, Penetration, 170
1 Grudge Thrower: Forging, Accuracy, Burning, 135
1 Grudge Thrower: Forging, Accuracy, 130
Total: 2,400
List Analysis
So a very typical shooty dwarf list but with only 1 redirector...this means I should be able to get into combat with him by turn 3! Once in combat I "should" be relatively safe from shooting and start "winning" combats. Ohhh I was so wrong and so cocky...

We got Table 4 with Meeting Engagement (naturally the best for gunline armies)

His spells
Lol
Mine
L4 High: 1, 2, 3, 5

Primary Objectives
1) Get into combat asap
2) Unforge the Spellbreaking runes

Deployment

Analysis of Deployment
First and foremost I won the roll to pick table sides which means he has to deploy first. This is very important against gunline and meeting engagement...I probably won't seize the initative but at least my unit can be optimized to counter his units. Essentially I want my Bus against either of his Quarrellers whilst my PG losts the Hammers. Hammers will be a big problem for my bus with all those high S attacks along with better WS so I can't have the Hammers in my bus. I also made sure all RBTs / GE were out of line of sight and also my PGs were in 1 rank and behind the forest to minimise and BS based shooting damage.

DW Turn 1
I didn't seize the iniative and off we go to the first turn! He moves his gyro behind the impassable whilst his hammers move up a little. Shooting see that 2 darts die from cannon shots.

HE Turn 1
I push all my elements up to the max and was able to IF unforging on the runesmith but unfortunately I wasn't able to destroy the item.

DW Turn 2
He bombs the dart and redirects the bus with the Gyro. Hammer move up to intercept either the Bus or PG if they threaten him. Shooting see 1 PG and 3 darts go down.

HE Turn 2
Bus charges the Gyro and the PG pushes up. Magic is 3,3 -> 7-3 and I get boosted HoG on the PG whilst I IF Apothesis...don't like all these IFs...Shooting kills a couple of Quarrellers whilst the Gyro gets smashed to bits.
This is where I think I made the mistake. I had reformed my bus 3 wide so to minimise the distance between the Bus and the Hammers. My PGs were in prime position to charge the Hammers and I could do a pincer manuvere...what I didn't do was measure the distance between them (bus and hammers) and on my next turn I found I was a little be too far for my liking (I think 18"/19" to the Hammers). I was 13" from the Quarrellers but if I had stay 5 wide I would of been 15"ish from them which is a relatively "safe" charge.

DW Turn 3
Hammers & Quarrellers SR to maneurve into a defensive combat formation. Shooting see 2 PG and 2 Helms from the Bus die.

HE Turn 3
My Bus charges the Quarrellers and the PGs charges the Hammers. Magic is 6,3 -> 9-6...I got WBW on the darts whilst I had IF HoG and my L4 went down the hole...Combat was somewhat of a disaster - Bus wins combat against the Quarrellers but he was steadfast on re-rollable 10 (if I had stayed 5 wide with my ranks I would of broken him). The PGs killed some hammers but I failed to saved every single ward save...this resulted in the PGs losing by alot and I broke and run off the Bus...the Hammers pursued and flanked my Bus...Big Big problem...I'm in trouble. No magical support and more importantly no Crown of Command.

DW Turn 4
Over the next few turns it was pretty much my characters duking it out with his Quarrellers + Hammers (I aimed at the Quarrellers so that I can reform and minimise static combat resolution for him). His shooting kicked into over-drive and his indirect shots just lands and kills all the Darts, eagle and PGs. Luckily for me Tyrion and the Prince perform remarkably well and I was able to grind down both the Quarrellers and the Hammers. Either he had no hammers left or there 1 was guy left but he fail his stubborn rerollable 10 test and I caught him on his turn 6! On my turn 6 I charge a cannon to pick up some points.

Victory points was 1657:1372 - 11:9

I was slightly disappointed with the score. I put this as a green match up because he only had 1 redirector and that meant I can get into combat relatively quickly which meant that I should win combat easily and convincingly....but unfortunately that wasn't the case. What I would of done differently was on my Turn 2 I would of came the bus 5 wide on next turn charge the Bus into the Quarrellers and reformed my PGs to block the Hammer counter-charge. This would be my PGs may of taken 1 round of optimised shooting but at least my Bus wouldn't of been into trouble and after combat assumming I had broken him I had the option of either overruning into a warmachine or reforming to face the hammerers. My inexperience with Dwarf showed in this game and I got a little bit too cocky...fortunately I was able to save the game thanks to Tyrion and Prince...

Our team capped Scotland so my points wouldn't of made a difference.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Game 4]

#27 Post by pk-ng »

Game 5 - Netherlands - Skaven - Richard de Swaaf
On the last day of the tournament we got matched up against the Dutch after our big win against the Scottish. I was surprisingly matchup against their Skaven player...they chose to give me this match up...which was very strange because this felt like a buffet for me :)

My list
Rob's List
Grey Seer: General, L4, Ruin / Plague / Undeath, Power Scroll, 275
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell: L4, Ruin / Plague / Undeath, Dispel Scroll, Fencer's Blades, Skalm, 530
Warlord: Shield, The Fellblade, 193
Chieftain: BSB, Shield, Storm Banner, 122
Assassin: Weeping Blade, Potion of Strength, 170
Warlock Engineer: Brass Orb, 65
49 Stormvermin: FCG, Razor Standard, 413
45 Skavenslaves: C, M, 96
45 Skavenslaves: C, M, 96
29 Skavenslaves: C, M, 64
5 Giant Rats & 1 Packmaster: 23
5 Giant Rats & 1 Packmaster: 23
1 Warp-lightning Cannon: 90
1 Warp-lightning Cannon: 90
1 Doomwheel: 150
List Analysis
Very typical Skaven Bell list with all the toys present within the allowable comp. The biggest threat to me is 13th which means I need to get the PG into combat with anything non-slave for them to be safe. Doomwheel may cause issues on my flanks as it is quite a tough unit for my Darts and/or RBT to deal with.

Apart from it my strategy is quite obvious....PG and Bus into the SV/Bell as soon as possible; once the Bell is down the unit will pop and there goes at least 1500+ points with some of the chaff I need to get through I should get 20:0 for this game. It was essential that I get 20:0 as my coach as said that he had screwed up on some of the later match up which put the pressure on me to perform. Apart from 13th and Wither x3 overall the list isn't that difficult to attack and more importantly I had optimial spells (WBW & FC) which would help me alot in my advance.

We got Table 1 with Battleline

His spells
General: Plague, 3,5, 6, 13th
Bell: Ruin 1, 4, 5, 6
Mine
L4 High: SQ, 1, 3, 6

Primary Objectives
1) 20:0
2) PG + Bus touch down on the SV/Bell

Deployment

Analysis of Deployment
The wall screwed up my deployment as I didn't want to have to march / charge over it. This spread my 2 combat units out a little too far for my liking, but I had Walk Between the World which would help me compensate this mistake? in deployment. Apart from it was a expect deployment on both parties and it was just a matter of how much I can kill / how much he can block with (i.e with slaves).

SK Turn 1
He got to go first and off to start to my 20:0 march to victory :p! He pushes up his DW. Bell moves up to magic range. Magic is 6,5 -> 12-6 and he got skitterleap on his Brass Orb dude. I contain 13th. Brass Orb scatters but still hits the RBT which auto-dies.

HE Turn 1
My dart charge into the Doomwheel and all my other elements push up as far as possible. Magic is 6,5 -> 11-6 and I got SQ on the Giant Rats which the RBTs later finished off. I also got a boosted WBW on the PGs to position them on the flank side of the slaves. He contained Fiery Convocation on the SV which I think he feared the most. Shooting finishes off the rats and the brass orb guy goes down. Combat see that I do not wounds and we draw in combat.

SK Turn 2
Slaves move up to block the PG and the Bus. Magic is 4,1 -> 6-4 but he gets lucky with he uses 1 token to cast wither but fails to meet the casting cost; Sorch is dispelled to end the magic phase. Surprisingly my darts held.

HE Turn 2
PGs charge into the slave whilst the Bus moves around the other Slaves. GE moves up to bait / redirect the slaves. Magic is good split 4,4 -> 8-4 and he contains my phase but I draw his scroll. Combat see that my PG beats the slaves down and I reform to face the Bell unit. The pillow fight between the helms / DW ensues and surprisingly the DW breaks and I catch it! Lucky break for me when I didn't break him on the charge.

SK Turn 3
Surprisingly he reveals his assassin which was in the slave and also declares that he would be using his potion of strength...then declares a charge on my darts which I promptly flee with (I have no idea why he did this...completely and utterly pointless). The Slaves reform to block my Bus whilst his Bell unit moves back to try another go on the PGs. Magic is 3,2 -> 6-3 and he gets Wither on the Helms. Shooting see he finishes off the darts and some PGs.

HE Turn 3
PG and the Bus pincer into the slaves whilst the dart that fled from the assassin charge rallies and congas! GE move into the block the bell in the event he wants to charge into combat next turn. Magic is 6,6 -> 12-6 and I start off with 2 dice Apothesis which he lets go...then I followed up with boosted WBW on the dart to also block up the SV/Bell unit. Finally I 5 diced Fiery Convocation which he failed to stop. This results in 1w on the Warlord and General whilst 14 SV bites the dust! Combat see the slave unit get beaten to a pulp and I reform to face the bell for a follow up charge.

SK Turn 4
Nothing much he can do but try and support his bell as best as he could which see the Assassin led slaves move up for a follow up flank charge into the Bus if I do commit next turn. The Bell moves back as much as he cane. Magic is 4,4 -> 8-4 which he starts 5 dice wither on my Bus but I was able to block it and he IF another spell (forgot to record which one) and one of the casters loses 2 wizard levels. FC continues to burn which results in the BSB taking 1w whilst 12 more SV die!.

HE Turn 4
The homerun finally appears...GE charges the slaves to make way for the Helms to charge the WLC which in turn makes way for the PG & Bus to touchdown on the SV/Bell unit. Everything makes it (/phew) and I move my RBT up to redirect in the event my GE goes down....not like my RBT was going to do anything. Magic is 4,1 -> 5-4 I casted boosted WBW on the RBT to move it into redirecting position but this cost me 2 wizard levels (at least it didn't go down the hole)!

With the PG and Bus touching down on Bell unit I grinded it down by my turn 5. After which I called it as I had calculated that it was a 20:0 by this point and there was nothing he could do to secure any more points.

2246:607 - 20:0

So overall a highly favourable match up for me which I got the required 20:0! Really happy but unfortunately our team lost to the Dutch! Anyone 1 more game to go till the end of ETC! By now I was really tired from 4 days of intense warhammering and wish the next game would be something easy!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Wilska

#28 Post by Wilska »

pk-ng wrote: SA totally agree with you. If I engage I believe I would be on the back foot due to a number of conditions (this is assuming maximised combat)

Pro
- He would need to challenge
-- If challenging with DP or BSB -> Prince would accept
-- If challenging with Throgg -> Tyrion has to accept.

I believe the 2nd outcome would be the best scenario for him Throgg will be receiving less attacks overall and thereby have a higher chance of surviving in general and then can kill Tyrion in 1 turn. Actually once Tyrion and the Prince are down I have no combat power and it'll just be a matter of time before the Helms succumb to all the vomits.
Coming back to think about it I was surprised he didn't vomit on my combat characters!
Hi pk-ng,

your Finnish opponent here. First post, long time lurker.

Thanks for the game, you were a very pleasant opponent to play against, even though we had to rush a bit. Some thoughts on the match up and the game:
- it was a good match up for me but not a push-over: the Prince in the bus meant that I couldn't just charge it with my DP, and the bus had enough striking power to go through any of my units, not including trolls with both Throgg and bsb
- impassable in the middle of my zone meant that I couldn't easily change Throgg's and bsb's unit
- charging with 9 trolls against your bus was a gross miscalculation on my part, maybe my worst mistake in the tournament: if Tyrion uses his breath, my trolls will lose on average by 6; still, at the moment me, my friend playing next to me, our coach and I guess you too thought it was a good charge :) Normally in these kinds of situations I try to force an ASL spell through, but that would have actually made the bus strike harder
- I didn't vomit on Prince as I needed to cause as many wounds on the unit as possible; Prince also had 6++, chance for healing and I only had 2 trolls to vomit on him; and any vomits or attacks against Tyrion are practically wasted
- I thought about stopping the bus with the DP when the bus was in my zone, but I think that would have been too risky and anyway you IF'd WBW so I had to concentrate on killing everyone else, which worked out ok
- if the bus had connected with the troll bus, I would have challenged with the bsb. My objective was to have Throgg in a different corner from Tyrion (you charge but I get to decide where Throgg is), but if I challenge with the bsb and you accept with Prince, Prince and Tyrion will swap places and Tyrion gets to strike Throgg. But even without Throgg the trolls will most likely win.
- my 6 trolls got too stranded in the end game, they should have reformed from the second bolt thrower instead of overrunning
- my last magic phase was 5 vs 3 with my +3 to cast advantage (I had lost a level and the choir) so I decided to try to kill the bolt thrower with hysterical frenzy and pavane, but first attempt with 3 dice killed the DP. This was naturally a very bad decision with nothing to gain, but I blame the heat! :P
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Game 5]

#29 Post by SpellArcher »

Hi Wilska, great to have your input! So your team had this down as a 13:7 to you or something?

Pk-ng, the infamous Andy Potter? I've never met the gent but he is a recent UK Master of course. Used to have a reputation for stealth filth. Quite a funny guy too. Rob Ritchie I have spoken with at an event in London but didn't play him. Just as well because he brought a horrible three-unit Scouting list!

Looking at his list here, I wondered if 20 Hammerers would be enough. Or one Gyrocopter. Do Dwarf players ever turn up with un-runed machines to deal with World Dragon? An especially neat deployment on his part! So you were unlucky with the Unforging and what gave with all the IF's? Of course without World Dragon you couldn't even consider an attack like this. Were you ever at risk of losing the bus?

I liked your straightforward assessment of this match-up! Presumably the Dutch feeding you their rats gave them favourable matches elsewhere? Were the Helms in single ranks to avoid the WLC's shooting them all at once? When your eagle dropped in front of slaves it looked like that unit had no charges on and you might have dropped behind them to hamper their reform? Lastly, considering redirecting with your RBT, priceless!

Wilska

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Game 5]

#30 Post by Wilska »

SpellArcher wrote:Hi Wilska, great to have your input! So your team had this down as a 13:7 to you or something?
Yes 13-7, I made the assessment myself.