ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Game 5]

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

pk-ng

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Game 3]

#31 Post by pk-ng »

Hi Ville!
Yeah I had a great game and intense as well! So for taking so long but was a hard match for me and had to make sure everything was correctly in position!
- impassable in the middle of my zone meant that I couldn't easily change Throgg's and bsb's unit
that is what I wanted. I knew the impassable would divide up your forces!
- charging with 9 trolls against your bus was a gross miscalculation on my part, maybe my worst mistake in the tournament: if Tyrion uses his breath, my trolls will lose on average by 6; still, at the moment me, my friend playing next to me, our coach and I guess you too thought it was a good charge :) Normally in these kinds of situations I try to force an ASL spell through, but that would have actually made the bus strike harder
Actually if you used your ASL spell I may not have used my breath weapon as you said my Bus would of strike harder therefore my calculations just my attacks alone would of been sufficient to break you. The only down side would of been the bus only only moving 6" in my turn I which cast my Eagle would of been on redirecting duty.
- I didn't vomit on Prince as I needed to cause as many wounds on the unit as possible; Prince also had 6++, chance for healing and I only had 2 trolls to vomit on him; and any vomits or attacks against Tyrion are practically wasted
This I totally understood but I didn't think you would do sufficient damage to make a different in combat...all you could do was reduce the amount you lost combat by a negligible amount. My priority would of been WBW so it'll really depend on my WoM if I can get heal off. Whether the Bus is on full or minimal strength is of no concern to me as they are just a delivery unit they don't really contribute to combat resolution / they contribute very little. So if I had my breath weapon still on Tyrion I may of considered charging your Troll Bus...but it really depends on alot of factors.
- I thought about stopping the bus with the DP when the bus was in my zone, but I think that would have been too risky and anyway you IF'd WBW so I had to concentrate on killing everyone else, which worked out ok
surprised if you did this and it would of died is probably 2 rounds of combat? But if you survived any longer I may of been in big trouble as that would allow you to catch up but then again that impassable was perfectly positioned :).
- if the bus had connected with the troll bus, I would have challenged with the bsb. My objective was to have Throgg in a different corner from Tyrion (you charge but I get to decide where Throgg is), but if I challenge with the bsb and you accept with Prince, Prince and Tyrion will swap places and Tyrion gets to strike Throgg. But even without Throgg the trolls will most likely win.
[/quote]If you challenged with the BSB I would happy accept with the Prince and the Prince doesn't move. Since Tyrion is of mismatching footprint they do not swap position and the challenge between Prince and BSB would be "virtual challenge". The most ideal situation for me would be me been 3 wide and flank charging you. Even with me been 3 wide and a front / rear charge into you I think I would of taken it. But we will never know :).
- my last magic phase was 5 vs 3 with my +3 to cast advantage (I had lost a level and the choir) so I decided to try to kill the bolt thrower with hysterical frenzy and pavane, but first attempt with 3 dice killed the DP. This was naturally a very bad decision with nothing to gain, but I blame the heat! :P
haha yes that heat was a killer!

@SA
Re Hammers: 20 hammers is actually a tad too small for my liking as Hammers die in droves but they hit like a tank...essentially they are like WLs but slightly better in combat.
Re Gyrocopter: General I think you need at least 3 Gyros to have some non-magical range attacks and to redirect but this is just from my personal perspective.
Re Warmachines: In a team tournament generally no because you can be not matched up against the BotWD and even in singles I don't believe so as the use of having a runed machine far outstrips on that is un-runed. There are other alternatives in dealing with the Banner of the World Dragon.
Re Bus: Generally against 1 copter list I shouldn't be losing the bus as I can dictated my battles and try and set up favourable combats.
Re Dutch Match up: I would assume so but I didn't look at the overall match up of the round. I could probably ask my coach.
Re Helms: Yes pretty much and of the the things the darts would be engaging in 2 wide wouldn't of made that much of a different.
Re Eagle: I wanted to bait him into charging so he wouldn't block up the Bell but probably should of just landed behind to secure a spot as you've pointed out!
Re RBT: Everything has an expendable level and since they weren't going to do much anyway why not redirect :).
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: ETC 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic, Team SG [Game 5]

#32 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks guys.

What did Singapore have the DE v SK down as and what did Finland have it as? Actual result?
pk-ng

#33 Post by pk-ng »

Not sure what the Fins had it as but we had it as a decent to positive matchup. End score was 11:9 our way.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#34 Post by SpellArcher »

Game six?

:)
pk-ng

#35 Post by pk-ng »

Coming! Looking where I placed my notes :(.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#36 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi pkng!

Trying to catch up with the reports before you finish them all! I haven't read the comments so apologies if I mention something you have already addressed.

Game 4

Are Dwarven castles still hated by the players who have to face them? Teams still want to take them though it seems.

I like the way you maneuvered to avoid some of the shooting but I wonder if it was possible to jump eagles towards the rocks near the Dwarven line. That would help you to diver some of his regiments.

I was surprised with PG charge. Especially in the single file formation they were already losing. Wouldn't it be better to march them in front of the Hammereres and take the charge next turn (also diverting any overrun into the bus)? That would allow the bus to reform 5 wide for next round and you could break Quarellers in their turn which is also good as you can then reform and charge the warmachines.

Very impressive performance by your lords who destroyed two enemy units by their own.

Game 5

I mentioned to Elithmar in his army blog that Skaven became popular again. There seem to be similar lists floating around, usually with Stormfiends, some with the Bell but in general they all feel the same. It seems like all they want to do is to get you stuck with slaves and shoot/magic you to death with their "unpredictable" war machines :)

You mentioned that you wanted PG to be in combat with anything but the slaves as a cover from 13th. It assumes that 13th can be cast into combat with the slaves. I had that problem with a Skaven player because he didn't produce a strong evidence that he can. I even started a relevant topic in rules section. My position is explained here: 13th into combat

Could you point me to the rules section that supports the interpretation it can be cast into combat with the Slaves (or any other unit)?

I love how you maneuver your army (again! :)) and you use the spell expertly. I was about to ask why did you cast it on PG but it was better choice because now he had to block them with Slaves while being in the forest. Not a big difference probably but you already used any additional advantage you could have and with nice maneuver of the bus you were coming at him nicely.

Another good move is the way you shielded fighting units with the dart, although it's a pity you had to do it with cheesy conga :-P

Very good magic phase that turn too!

Was it possible to charge the cannon with the eagle instead of the Slaves? It was really cool move to divert with RBT! I said it already but you are the master of the Walk Between Worlds :) I think you should apply for a special status to the Loremasters :D

It was really well earned victory, congratulations! It looked so easy too! Well done, looking forward to the last report!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?