Aestyrion into the Void

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mentheus of Chrace

Aestyrion into the Void

#1 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Introduction
This thread is to document my games in the final, dying gasps of Warhammer Fantasy.

There is no alternative. The sons and daughters of Ulthuan will not go happily into the night. They will strike without remorse and bring death to the servants of Chaos.

About Mentheus of Chrace
I am basically new to Warhammer. My army is mostly models I collected when I was in school back in 4th edition and came back for my first ever Warhammer tournament, "Gobbocon", back in April. To say I chose a poor time to get properly into Warhammer Fantasy is something of an understatement. :wink:

While I went 2-1 at that tournament, mostly because I paid more attention to scenario objectives than my opponents, I don't claim to be any good at Warhammer. If you're looking for cagey Warhammer tactical advice, this is not the army blog to follow. If you want to read about a gamer who isn't afraid to say 'what's the worst that could happen' and throw Eltharion at a blender lord, you've come to the right place!

Southern Impact
There will be a one-day, three game tournament next month. Called Southern Impact, it is the headline Warhammer Fantasy tournament in the state. The comp pack is a slightly modified version of the South Coast GT pack.

The main points, for my purposes are:
  • Tyrion, Avatar of Khaine, is banned. :(
  • Battle points are based on damage done and nothing else - a clean sweep of the board is worth 10 points.
    (What could be more Aestyrion than that?)
  • Army composition score (from the SCGT pack) is halved and applied after each game.
  • Banner of the World Dragon is worth two hard choices, even as a BSB.
My self-inflicted mandate that I must play the Host of the Aestyrion. As the tournament is using the South Coast GT pack nothing from Archaon is legal (except for the new Bloodthirsters which snuck into the SCGT pack) - if Tyrion, Incarnate of Light had been available, I would have considered running him as an alternative to the Avatar of Khaine.

An additional handicap confronts me in that, not trusting that anything from End Times would still be legal in '9th Edition' I never bought any Dark Elf models.

Because there are potentially 5 'battle points' a game purely from the composition score, I have decided to run as soft an army as I can. My thinking is this: If tabling your opponent is worth 10 points, and having a soft list is worth up to 5, then if I can kill half my opponent's army with a soft list then I have done just as well as someone who tabled their opponent with a hard list.

That's the theory - we'll see how it holds up in practice.

Speaking of practice...
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
Mentheus of Chrace

Re: Aestyrion into the Void

#2 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Practice Game #1

The first of our 'Southern Impact' practice games is this Friday. I was originally slated to be playing Youtuber and local tournament organiser Doom & Darkness and his druchii but I think he's had to shuffle things around and I'll be playing a Demons of Chaos player instead.

In our local meta, Demons of Chaos seem to rule the roost. There was much lamentation at Gobbocon about the Banner of the World Dragon, but if the Chaos gods insist on raining magical poo on everyone, I feel it's only fair to let people bring umbrellas.

Because I've decided to play for maximum comp (which for the Host of Aestyrion is 9) I've loaded up on a bunch of soft choices. I ordered a Hydra, but I just got a shipping notification it won't be with me until Monday. Practice is Friday. :?

So, scrubbing the Hydra, leaves me with this:

I stole the dreadlord/Black Amulet idea from Ladril. The Sea Guard, Lion Chariot, Shadow Warriors, and Medusa get me a comp point each. Losing one for using an elven host gets me to a SCGT score of 8 for this army. Basic battle plan is to bus the cavalry characters in the Helms (obviously) unless there are dwellers in play. The Sorceress will generate extra power dice by stabbing Sea Guard. The Lions will anchor the centre and the Swordmasters will clean up. The soft choices will try to contribute in a meaningful fashion and stay out of the way. :D

If there are obvious inefficiencies I should have spotted, please call them out.

Initial Army List - 2500
Dreadlord: The Black Amulet; Ogre Blade; heavy armour; shield; Sea Dragon cloak; Dark Steed 277
Archmage: Sceptre of Stability; Golden Crown of Atrazar; Level 4 Wizard; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding) 272

Noble: Dawnstone; Dragonhelm; lance; heavy armour; shield; lion cloak; Battle Standard; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding) 161
Sorceress: The Sacrificial Dagger; Level 2 Wizard; Lore of Dark Magic 140

30 Lothern Sea Guard: shields; Sea Master; musician; standard bearer 390
10 Silver Helms: shields; High Helm; musician; standard bearer 260

Lion Chariot of Chrace 120
10 Shadow Warriors 140
19 White Lions of Chrace: Guardian; musician; standard bearer 277
10 Swordmasters of Hoeth 130

Bloodwrack Medusa 90
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower 70
1 Great Eagle 50
1 Great Eagle 50

Revised Practice List - 2500
Dreadlord: The Black Amulet; Ogre Blade; heavy armour; shield; Sea Dragon cloak; Dark Steed 277
Archmage: Sceptre of Stability; Golden Crown of Atrazar; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of High Magic; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding) 272

Sorceress: Dispel Scroll; Level 2 Wizard; Lore of Dark Magic 140
Master: Dawnstone; Dragonhelm; heavy armour; great weapon; Sea Dragon cloak; Dark Steed; Battle Standard 154

20 Lothern Sea Guard: shields; musician 250
13 Silver Helms: shields; High Helm; musician; standard bearer 329
5 Ellyrian Reavers 80

10 Shadow Warriors 140
10 Swordmasters of Hoeth 130

Bloodwrack Medusa 90
1 Great Eagle 50
1 Great Eagle 50
Last edited by Mentheus of Chrace on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
Cold Phoenix

#3 Post by Cold Phoenix »

I like the idea of the Dreadlord with a 3++ Black Amulet save (if the Archmage is using high magic). It should worry allot of characters. Do note that the wounds caused by the Black Amulet are arguably magical (under the definition of the magical attacks in the WHFB FAQ), so other High Elf/End times armies might not care. Depending on your meta, you may find the Silver Helm bus a bit small. It really isn't hard for wood elves or Dwarves to drop them to the point where the characters are in danger of eating a cannonball or having Waywatcher attacks allocated to them. High Magic might help a bit, but that depends on getting spells off and actually making saves. You also might find that the bus really wants some kind of fast support. I've tried similar lists and found that having at least 1 other fast combat threat to increase target saturation, hunt down depleted units and so on could really make a difference. You might also find that the bus is a little too defensive and doesn't do enough damage to reliably beat and run down units.

Lastly, you don't have a scroll. I feel that a scroll is almost vital in a bus list because you need it to stop crucial spells which would either wreak the bus on it's way in or turn combats against it.
Ladril Caledor

#4 Post by Ladril Caledor »

My Dreadlord build! I even got full credit in your post...that made my day. It worked well for me and I hope you have a similar experiece.

I'd make the Noble into a Master, as you can get a 1+ save without the shield by using a sea dragon cloak, which means you can switch the lance to a great weapon or halberd. Not a big difference, but you already have power on the charge, you'll need that extra strength a lot more when you're not charging. Plus that lion cloak is doing nothing as the Noble already has a 1+ save.

Darkshards would be way better than Lothern Sea Guard for the same points cost. With Hand of Glory Darkshards are devastating.

Agreed that the dispel scroll will really be your friend with this list.
Mentheus of Chrace

#5 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Dispel Scroll added, no argument from me. Maybe I'll drop the Sorceress to a Level 1 and make her officially just a scroll caddy.
Ladril wrote:My Dreadlord build! I even got full credit in your post...that made my day. It worked well for me and I hope you have a similar experience.

I'd make the Noble into a Master, as you can get a 1+ save without the shield by using a sea dragon cloak, which means you can switch the lance to a great weapon or halberd. Not a big difference, but you already have power on the charge, you'll need that extra strength a lot more when you're not charging. Plus that lion cloak is doing nothing as the Noble already has a 1+ save.
Thankyou for the idea. I've not played the Dark Elves so I never would have come across the Black Amulet if not for your aestyrion thread. It would have been churlish not to give credit where it is due. Senpai noticed me!

You're of course correct that Master > Noble. I was running the Noble so he could carry around the umbrella, and after I dropped the banner, I kept him around.
Ladril wrote:Darkshards would be way better than Lothern Sea Guard for the same points cost. With Hand of Glory Darkshards are devastating.
Cold Phoenix wrote:Depending on your meta, you may find the Silver Helm bus a bit small. It really isn't hard for wood elves or Dwarves to drop them to the point where the characters are in danger of eating a cannonball or having Waywatcher attacks allocated to them. High Magic might help a bit, but that depends on getting spells off and actually making saves. You also might find that the bus really wants some kind of fast support. I've tried similar lists and found that having at least 1 other fast combat threat to increase target saturation, hunt down depleted units and so on could really make a difference.
Darkshards are tempting but the Sea Guard are giving me effectively 250 VP in battle points just for being in my list. I have taken both these ideas together and reduced the Sea Guard to the minimum 20 and got rid of the champion and standard bearer. I am effectively turning them into inferior Archers but this frees up enough points to add three more Helms and sneak a cheeky unit of Reavers into Core.

I'm unsure what I could do to add another fast threat - I'd love to take a dragon but where I'd get the points from escapes me. I have no access to the Frostheart or even Flamespyre phoenix due to the Aestyrion restriction. I could add a griffon knight (which would enable me to drop one of those other soft choices) but is that really a fast threat?

Mentheus of Chrace

#6 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Practice Game - 2015/07/11

I rocked up to play and my opponent had instead brought Tomb Kings, also intending to max out on comp.

This was deployment:

I advance deployed the Shadow Warriors in the forest on my left to threaten the Tomb King level 2 Nekhara and one of the screaming skull catapults.

What I intended to do was use the Forest Strider on the Lions to push hard on the left flank with the Helm bus keeping pace. The Sea Guard would fight a delaying action on the right.

Turn 1

The Tomb Kings went first and their arrows blotted out the sky. I lost all my light forward elements - the shadow warriors in the trees were cut down by arrows fired in their general direction by eyes that cannot see to be deceived, as were the Ellyrian Reavers. He dropped screaming skulls on my Dreadlord and got past the Look Out Sir!, then rolled a 1 to wound. This convinced me to attack as I didn't like the idea of a shooting war against that firepower.

My first magic phase I three-diced Flames to start the High Magic Ward Save action going. The following occurred:
  • I cast it irresistably.
  • I blew up the unit.
  • I discovered that my arch mage bought the wrong magic wand at the shop. The Sceptre of Stability assists dispels, it's not the Grounding Rod.
  • I made a mental note to pencil 'Banner of the World Dragon' into this unit next time, comp be damned.
Turn 2

Stalkers pop up, pew pew and magic combine to finish off the Lion Chariot. His chariot unit charges the Swordmasters, with foes behind I decide not to flee and take the charge. He rolls poorly on the impacts, killing only two, but the Swordmasters still lose despite having 13 attacks re-rolling ones to wound. Shameful display. :(

I'll spare you the rest of the blow by blow. Basically, the Tomb Kings ran rings around me. What was left of the character bus just killed everything in its path (the level 2, an archer block, and a catapult before we called the game) while the army behind them died. Unsurprising given that this player is one of the best the club has to offer and I'm, as I said initially, not very good at Warhammer.

Things that surprised me:
The Sea Guard were surprisingly not terrible. They represented a somewhat credible threat on the flank and took out a chariot unit, eventually falling to the Doom & Darkness / Screaming Skull combo.

Things I screwed up:
I didn't use my eagles. I didn't redirect anything, I kept them back 'in reserve' and they just got picked off by shooting and magic.
I didn't use the medusa. Because nothing anywhere near her was a Killing Blow target, I didn't know what to do with her. I could have at least used her to watch the back of the blocks, maybe?
I wasn't disciplined in my use of magic dice, instead of prioritising casting something (anything) with the High Archmage, I repeatedly six-diced Black Horror on the level 2 hoping for the big swing. (Arkhan the Black passed his strength test).
Intellectually I knew that Tomb King archers always hit on 5s, but that didn't stop me putting things in the trees etc thinking they would be sheltered.
I should probably have scrolled Doom & Darkness, especially when as the Dreadlord was out of range.

Mentheus of Chrace

#7 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Not happy with that game, I scheduled another practice game ASAP.

Practice Game 2 - 2015/07/15

The hydra arrived! I slapped a base coat on it and got ready to play.

Aestyrion - 2500, Comp 7/10

Ladril (Dreadlord): The Black Amulet; Ogre Blade; heavy armour; shield; Sea Dragon cloak; Dark Steed 277
Archmage: Golden Crown of Atrazar; Dispel Scroll; Level 4 Wizard; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding) 282

Noble: Banner of the World Dragon; lance; Dragon armour; shield; Battle Standard; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding) 178

20 Lothern Sea Guard: shields; musician 250
15 Silver Helms: shields; High Helm; musician; standard bearer 375

10 Shadow Warriors 140
War Hydra: Fiery Breath 180
The Seven Swordmasters (7 Swordmasters of Hoeth) 91

Bloodwrack Medusa 90
1 Great Eagle 50
1 Great Eagle 50

VS

Fleshtearers, Comp 10/10

Daemon Prince: Lesser Gift; Chaos armour; Daemonic flight 340
Bloodthirster 400

Herald of Khorne: Battle Standard; Exalted Locus of Wrath 200
Karanak 195

29 Bloodletters of Khorne: Bloodreaper; musician; standard bearer (Banner of Swiftness) 451
10 Bloodletters of Khorne: Bloodreaper; musician; standard bearer (Banner of Eternal Flame) 180

3 Bloodcrushers of Khorne 195
5 Chaos Furies: Daemon of Khorne 70
5 Flesh Hounds of Khorne: Ambushers 155

Soulgrinder: Daemon of Khorne; Daemonbone Claw; Phlegm Bombardment 315

( He ebayed the army, I apologise on his behalf for lack of paint and proxy Bloodthirster)

Deployment

Nothing too noteworthy here - I kept the Lion Chariot back so it could counter-charge anything that flew over my lines, and I dropped the Silver Helm bus on the far right and immediately regretted the decision when I saw that the terrain would dictate exactly what that unit would be doing for the next three turns.

Turn 1

He wins the dice rolls and goes first.

He moved the harpies up to stop me hitting the Bloodcrushers with the lions, and sent his little unit of Bloodletters after the Shadow Warriors. The Soulgrinder's catapult misfired. His Reign of Chaos result was 4+ Wards.

I obligingly threw the Hydra and Lions into the harpies and the Silver Helm bus made the really long charge into the small Bloodletters. The Seven Swordmasters moved up behind the fallen column. I used an Eagle to redirect the Soulgrinder (yay me!). The Sea Guard put a wound on the Daemon Prince with their bows after both bolt throwers failed to get past its Ward save.

In the magic phase my wizard let rip with Flames on the big Bloodletter horde and good dice rolling thinned their ranks dramatically. The Lions deleted the harpies.

Similarly unsurprisingly, the Silver Helms crushed the Bloodletters. The only wrinkle being that he challenged with his champion so not wanting to risk a Killing Blow on my characters, I had my Champion accept, and my Champion didn't get a wound through. My entire death star was now locked in a challenge between a High Helm with 2 S3 attacks against a Demon with a 4+ Ward...

Turn 2

Karanak and the Flesh Hounds fail to turn up, so he pushes aggressively with the Daemon Prince and Bloodthirster desperate to get to my backline and shut down my bolt throwers.

His Reign of Chaos roll is 6+ Ward saves, and he extinguishes the Flames.

The Hydra is charged by the Bloodcrushers and the Soulgrinder smashes the Great Eagle aside, causing it to fly off in fear.

The Hydra looses its breath weapon, which kills one bloodcrusher, and its multiple heads tear another asunder - but the Juggernaughts save it, leaving it on a single wound. His bloodletter horde fails its long charge, as do the Bloodthirster. With only a 6+ Ward, the High Helm guts his challenge opponent and the Helms reform ready for next turn. The Daemon Prince pounced on and effortlessly dispatched the Medusa.

In response, the Seven Swordmasters and Silver Helms charge the Bloodletter horde, and the Lion Chariot goes for the Bloodthirster.

The Swordmasters are savaged by the Herald and the few Bloodletters who survive to swing after the unit loses an entire rank to the flanking Helm bus. Combat resolution sees the whole Daemon unit return to the Warp.

Elsewhere, the remaining Bloodcrusher and Hydra kill each other. The Lion Chariot rolls one impact hit, which fails to injure the Bloodthirster, and then the Bloodthirster turned it into cinders, before reforming to face the White Lions.

Mentheus of Chrace

#8 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Turn 3

The Daemon Prince charges a Repeater Bolt Thrower, who flee off the board in terror. The Daemon Prince and Bloodthirster both then charge into the White Lions, who get ready to face them with grim resignation.

Karanak and the dogs finally show up (presumably too busy chewing on some rattlebones) and get ready to pounce on the Sea Guard, who had boosted Hand of Glory on them most of the game and been chipping wounds off the Khorne lords throughout. The Reign of Chaos result is Tzeentchian fire which fails to accomplish anything.

The Guardian throws down a challenge, hoping to save the lives of his comrades. The Bloodthirster waves dismissively and the Daemon Prince chops the Guardian apart. The Bloodthirster goes to town on the unit and only one wound back gets through his Weapon Skill and Wards.

Despite this onslaught, the White Lions are Stubborn and refuse to break.

The cavalry arrives. Wanting to spare the Lions another round of horror, Ladril challenges. The Daemon Prince accepts this challenge, but he cannot get a wound past the Black Amulet and is slain by it.

Elsewhere, the Sea Guard swift reform to face the dogs and take out half the unit with bowfire, but this is irrelevant.

The Challenge

The Daemons only hope now is that the Bloodthirster can survive into his next turn, so that the Soulgrinder can charge into the combat and swing it back in his favour.

Ladril once again challenges, and the Bloodthirster is forced to accept.

The Dreadlord spurs his mount forward and strikes the Bloodthirster with his Ogre Blade, but the Bloodthirster parries his attacks. One strike bites into the daemon's flaming hide but passes insubstantially through it. The Bloodthirsters' strikes land true, but the Dreadlords' heavy armour and scaled cloak prove too tough to get through. One strike to the shoulder lands true, the force nearly knocking Ladril from his saddle.

The rune of despair in the Black Amulet flares, and the pain is numbed, dark sorcery forcing the daemon's blade away. A tendril of cold bitterness crawls along the Axe of Khorne, but vanishes against the heat of Khorne's rage.

The two had fought, but neither had proven themselves the better. The Bloodthirster, roaring its defiance, began to fade from existance as the Chaos powers withdrew their favour at this display of futility.

The battle was won, Chaos withdrew to the Warp and the Aestyrion set their host to order and marched towards the next foe.

What I learned

* The hydra should stick with the helm bus. It was the only worthwhile target for Apotheosis but when it was injured, it was out of the spell's range. Apotheosis would have had it win against the Bloodcrushers.
* The Banner of the World Dragon Silver Helm death star is pretty great when the opponent doesn't have much to get in its way. It was predictable but also unstoppable.
* I did miss the lack of Leadership thanks to the Helms being out wide on the flank. I might want to try running an infantry lord to stick with the main battle line.
* Still couldn't accomplish anything with the Medusa. I think I deploy it too early and it ends up just being an empty drop.

Ladril Caledor

#9 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I took down a bloodthirster!

Black Amulet Dreadlord with high magic and banner of the world dragon is such a beast. Mashes through any regular character and even has a good shot at taking down super characters three times his cost. Such a bargain for the points.
Ladril Caledor

#10 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Interesting idea to run him with infantry. White Lions would make sense for stubborn and ranged protection, or perhaps Phoenix Guard. My only concern would be the lack of mobility, opposing armies may just avoid the unit entirely. Walk between worlds might mitigate this.

I really enjoyed these reports. Well written and it's nice to see something a bit different.
Mentheus of Chrace

#11 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Cheers. Battle report photography turns out to be harder than it looks.

Interestingly the Banner never mattered for the Dreadlord's duels - since the Archmage was casting unopposed every turn, he always had at least a 3+ Ward even without it.

Running a foot Lord is probably an overreaction. Even if I decide to keep the Dreadlord more central, I could run him with a fast cavalry unit! To be trite, I probably just need to play better - keep the army a bit more compact, instead of spreading out. Certainly running the Hydra alongside the Helms so that the Archmage can buy it time to heal itself would lend itself to less of a strung out 'line of battle'. There are only two infantry units after all and one of those is just a points-inefficient archer unit. Or just accept I will fail Leadership rolls sometimes, there are races out there for whom LD8 is impressive.

Phoenix Guard are not an option for the Host of the Aestyrion, so if I did run a foot Lord, it'd be in the Lions. :)

Mentheus of Chrace

#12 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Practice Game 3 - 2015/07/26

I put the call out in the gaming group to see if anyone else wanted a practice game and I found another player wanting to practice. We scheduled a game for Sunday afternoon.

I made no changes to my list and rocked up to face dwarves.

There were a few odd rules issues that came up in this game so I'd appreciate feedback from experienced players on them.

Like my other opponents, this player had chosen to go as soft as possible to reap the tournament points. I am wondering if this will be a common theme. In many of my photos you will see a face-down High Magic card. That is how I represented the High Magic ward. The High Magic Ward turned out to be more useful than I expected, even if it was usually just a 6+ against dwarven anti-magic defences. The thought of a Dragon Prince bus with a native 6+ Ward makes me salivate, but there are NO CALEDORIAN TRAITORS IN THIS ARMY. >:D

His list:

Josef Bugman
Runelord
BSB
4 huge blocks of warriors/longbeards/hammerers
1 small unit of hammerers
10 rangers
2x 15 miners

Zero war machines.

We roll up Dawn Attack and I deploy most of my army in the middle with the hydra and one bolt thrower on the left. He rolls his army up mostly on his right flank.

I scout my Shadow Warriors up where they are in short bowshot range of the small hammerer unit. He wants to Scout his rangers into the tower but the tower is technically with 12" of me so we can't figure out if he's allowed to. We dice for it and he deploys outside the building.

He doesn't roll the six to steal first turn so I move up.

Turn 1

Nothing of note really happens in the first turn. My shooting starts chipping away at him. I keep the eagles and chariots along my backline as I am worried about his Miners popping up and getting into my rear. He moves the rangers into the tower and knocks a wound off the Hydra with throwing axes.

Turn 2

Having learnt from last game, I make sure the Archmage is in range to heal up the hydra. The opposing Runelord spelleats it or whatever it's called, so I lose Apotheosis. The hydra attacks the tower. It unleashes its breath weapon and savages the unit, but they hold.

His miners pop out on my left flank. The small hammerers charge the shadow warriors, who stand and shoot. The hammerers kill a shadow warrior but are severely depleted now after several rounds of bowfire.

Turn 3

This turns out to be the pivotal turn. Our armies are now in range to threaten each other properly.

My plan here is to throw the Seven Swordmasters into the black miners on the far left, the Silver Helms into the big block of longbeards also on the left, and use an eagle to hold up Bugman's huge unit. Unfortunately, the brown eagle on the bottom right is too far away so I have to use the grey eagle.

The Swordmaster charge is the biggest issue we had.

Here are the models as I declared the charge:

I placed the empty movement tray to demonstrate that the Swordmasters had room to slip between the longbeards and bolt thrower if I could wheel after advancing.

My understanding is that to declare a legal charge you need to be:

Within range
Have LOS
Be able to contact with one wheel of up to 90'.

I believe I could advance to clear the bolt thrower, wheel, advance to slip between the gap, and then ultimately contact the black miners. I would then close the door to maximise models in contact.

My opponent believed I would have to wheel immediately and thus not be able to get past the bolt thrower.

Ultimately he allowed it and I returned the favor later, but for future reference I would like to know if I was in the right or not. Thanks!

In his turn, his huge block and the smaller hammerer unit combo charged the Eagle, who held. I had placed the Eagle in such a way that the big block would be forced to charge its front arc and be angled away from where my helms would be. While the Eagle died promptly, this caused the dwarf line to be completely disordered and disrupted.

On the positive side, without the grey eagle's protection, the miners that had come on from my south had free reign to charge and destroy the bolt thrower. They they overran into my helm bus.

Unfortunately, the helm bus still won the combat quite convincingly. The Swordmasters broke the black miners, who ran off the table, allowing the Swordmasters to reform. The small Hammerer unit is finally defeated by the Shadow Warriors. They were really surpassing my expectations this game. They have great WS and BS and when they're fighting units with only a 5+ armour save the ASF & Murderous Prowess is telling.

Turn 4

I threw the Lion Chariot and Medusa into the flank of the big hammerer block. The fight was inconclusive. The dwarves opposing the bus were wiped out, and the Helms reformed to face Bugman's unit. The Seven Swordmasters, having seen off the Miners, moved up to threaten the tower or possibly a flank charge. (I probably screwed this part up :) )

In his Turn 4 he charges Bugman's unit at the Medusa. I don't technically think he can make the wheel but not wanting to be a complete jerk I tell him I am happy to let it happen. It's only because I didn't kill enough of his hammerers that that movement was blocked, I did think that the Medusa would probably expose me to a charge but she's Frenzied and would have gone in against my wishes anyway. His Battle Standard Bearer fails his Avert Your Gaze! and takes a wound, another model (I think the champion) cops a full strength Killing Blow and is slain. Bugman fails his Initiative test but passes his Ward.

Turn 5

Unsurprisingly on my Turn 5 I throw everything I can into this brawl. Ladril challenges, and the Battle Standard Bearer has the Oathstone and so is forced to accept. Already wounded by the Medusa, he stands no chance against the Dreadlord's Ogre Blade and is slain. The charge is devestating, and I win combat, but the dwarves are Stubborn and well-led so they hold. In the ensuing turn, without the charge impetus, I actually lose the combat. Ladril challenged but did not kill the Runelord. White Lions died by the score as the dwarven great weapons took their bloody toll. Bugman hacked away at the Noble bearing the Battle Standard, but the anti-magic enchantments in the Banner of the World Dragon stole the potency from Bugman's axe. Although disheartened by the losses suffered by the White Lions, the High Elves remain resolute and continue to hack away.

Turn 6

The Archmage gathered the Winds of Magic to himself and cast forth a Fiery Convocation on the large Dwarf unit. It decimated their ranks. Not content with this display of arcane mastery, he then joined the helms as they attacked the dwarf warriors before them. As Bugman fought for his life against the ensorcelled protection of the elven nobles, the Archmage slipped his sword unnoticed into Bugman's side. The dwarf lord fell, and with his loss the entire host was defeated.