MSU HE - Outcasts vs The Winged Hussar Host - 13.06.2015

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: MSU HE - Outcasts vs The Winged Hussar Host - 13.06.2015

#31 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

Many thanks for your comments, especially that I know that real life is taking away of your time at the moment not to mention your new website and X-Wing fascination! :)

I was very curious about the match up, hence the early start with the report. I have had only a single game against StarDragon + Frosty duo but never against SH bus full of characters thrown in the equation. So you can imagine I was excited to see what I can do. As you say, it is a tough tournament army and in addition I played under ETC setting that in itself is unknown territory for me (at least from the practical point of view). I had to come up with a good plan against such a force.

Galharen has experience with his army that he showed during most recent big tournament. Pk-ng has thought me already that I should be very, very careful with the armies that have low models count as they have quite a few nasty tricks in their repertouir. As always, it is the player that makes the list work so while I talked a lot about the characters and the units I really needed to anticipate what kind of player Galharen would be. With the army like this it is easy to assume he will rush onwards (and that might not be that bad idea either) but if he chose to keep the army tight he had tools to protect points and kill things at the distance too.

As you can see there were so many factors to consider and while I had some ideas I hoped would work they were not bullet proof and might not work at all.

Like you I expected Galharen to keep his 3 fighting elements together. With his sheer speed and the fact two of them fly and cannot be diverted, it would create the unstoppable force. While they are tough to fight individually, together they are also supporting each other. I wonder then what Galharen's plan was in that game.

In turn 1 I left the Archers kind of in the open for 2 reasons. First, I needed them to jump on the hill to shoot. It was risky but the risk paid off and I was willing to use them like that no matter what. Every single wound against Frosty counted, especially that it was far away from the mage and could have not been healed. Second, although I didn't expect Silver Helms or Dragon to charge them, if they did that would be perfect. I could flee, the distance was long enough to make it to the safety and I would have slowed down the enemy.

I totally understand how Galharen felt and I had my own games where I felt like quitting. The thing is that as I said, I had only 800 points advantage at that moment and he was not without the tools to make it at least less. I was really curious to see if I could keep my game tight enough to keep that advantage until the end and if I had tools to contain the bus too.

Warhammer is a game of dice and once in a while you might have these crazy games. Imagine what would have happened to that bus if the Archmage miscast with a Cascade? MR(3) offers no protection against such effects. It can easily be a game changer too yet you have to continue, in particular, if you play in a tournament.

I am afraid that we are not going to learn about the plans before the game and what Galharen would have done differently as it seems he wants to forget about this game :-P

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?