Loriels 82th game against Warriors of Chaos

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Loriel

Loriels 82th game against Warriors of Chaos

#1 Post by Loriel »

My friend came up with one unusual list. All in all it was fun game. Due lack of time I took exactly the same list I had in last game.

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/WHFB_BR/HE082/BR.html
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Ladril Caledor

Re: Loriels 82th game against Warriors of Chaos

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I'm definitely warming to the big reaver block after reading this and your last battle report.

Why do you not give them bows? I think it would add to their flexibility, particularly with fast cavalry rules, and give your list some ranged damage.

I'm thinking of running a similar list with a big block of 25 Dark Riders with crossbows in a Host of the Eternity King along with high magic and monsters. I plan to use hand of glory to boost ballistic skill so I can get 50 fairly accurate armor piercing shots each turn, along with 4+ armour and all the fast cavalry maneuverability and flexibility. Just 530 points with full command in core. What do you think?
Loriel

#3 Post by Loriel »

I admit that especially in this game I really missed having the extra shooting, as it would have being excellent way to do some damage to those marauders, but the basic idea is to have steadfast breaking and I think spear would have more merit in this sense due better impact on the combat they are going and with cost. Having both would be nice, but the cost compared to Silver Helms would be much more issue.

For Dark Elves I think they would be tons better fielding this type of steadfast breaking fast cavalry unit from either warlocks or dark riders for (4+ save) and having possibility to add blender / defender characters to the. Sadly Dark Elves doesn't have as good flying monster arsenal as we have, but in the End Times list joined by both... would be \:D/

razorfate

#4 Post by razorfate »

Hi Loriel,
I am ressurecting your batreps when i have time:)

Deployment:
-There are skeleton archers in WoC list, i think they joined due to uneath lore.
-Large unit of Ellyrian Reavers is an interesting concept that i hadn't seen before. Why did you choose them over silver helms?
-Maybe you'd better take Amber spear for all those chariots, of course curse and wyssan is golden too.
-Chaos player has huge array of spells to choose from. I'd not give level 4 the fire lore and instead would make death sorcerer level 4; i'd also take flaming sword from fire. And i would definitely take shadow for mistfy the initatives of elves before purple sunning them. (I have a question here, if i kill my own model with pruple sun, can i roll for extra power dice for their wounds too? Or if i can not place the template possibly touching my own models?) Metal without searing doom is interesting.

T1 WoC:
Death sorcerer seems to target star dragon. If he were succesful, Prince would likely pass the test but the the dragon fail, does the whole model is removed from play or jusst the dragon?
T2 He:
Purple sun against elves has more hindrance than benefits. Lack of luck for the chaos guys.
T3 WoC:
I'd not go with purple sun only with all the mages i have but it was a decent shot to kill the dragon. That also answers my inital question about the matter...
T4 WoC:
Keep on beating himself again with purple sun. Why would he take the other mages if he was only going to cast purple sun only. He was very weak with the board control altough having multiple chariots which he did not coordinate his attacks with each other.
T5:
Excellent block move by the reavers:) Opponent should take them out by fireball or some spell like that long before instead of purplesunning the dragon. Well done:)

Gz on the win:)

That block move really made my day as i love the fast cav shengenians:)
Loriel

#5 Post by Loriel »

razorfate wrote:Hi Loriel,
I am ressurecting your batreps when i have time:)
I am honored and thanks for the comments. Really appreciate it. I actually didn't include every battle report as separate thread (i tested out if that would cause people to give more comments) All the battle played by me (including Necromunda) can be found at my chronicle thread found on signature, incase you wish to see them ;)
razorfate wrote: Deployment:
-There are skeleton archers in WoC list, i think they joined due to uneath lore.
Correct.
razorfate wrote: -Large unit of Ellyrian Reavers is an interesting concept that i hadn't seen before. Why did you choose them over silver helms?
Main reason was to simple test out an idea.

Main purpose of that unit is to break steadfast with enough mobility to catch my flying monsters. Unfortunately in this game my opponent didn't have "biggish" chaos warrior block what would have being more ideal target.

Big silver helm unit for same duty would be really hard to move around (allthough this fast cav list is also hard). Dark elves or wood elves would have much better chance of pulling this strategy when they get fast cav characters.

I toyed up with the idea a long time ago and wrote down once again huge wall of text about the subject http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... blabbering . they can rather easily (atleast on paper) gain flank charges and on average win combat about by 1 against chaos warriors if the unit managed to charge flank.
razorfate wrote: -Maybe you'd better take Amber spear for all those chariots, of course curse and wyssan is golden too.
I really though he will place a huge block of warriors in the middle. He had something like 800 points on the board and left the middle section wide open. Thus I felt wyssan had greater value to boost those reavers, compared to amber spear. ( I also personally have this strange idea that augments / hexes are the way to go and tend to avoid magic missiles and direct damages... perhaps just personal preference)
razorfate wrote: -Chaos player has huge array of spells to choose from. I'd not give level 4 the fire lore and instead would make death sorcerer level 4; i'd also take flaming sword from fire. And i would definitely take shadow for mistfy the initatives of elves before purple sunning them. (I have a question here, if i kill my own model with pruple sun, can i roll for extra power dice for their wounds too? Or if i can not place the template possibly touching my own models?) Metal without searing doom is interesting.
I think my opponent got little carried away as he had played more end times recently =)

I see no reason why you wouldn't gain power dices from own models. One of the weirdest rules about warhammer is that it is "legal" to place vortex right in to your own unit. It is legal to cast it in close combat and into close combat. The oddest thing is that if you look at the books summary which has these "can be casted to close combat" it only says N/A ;) but the argument to support this is that vortexes don't target anything.
razorfate wrote: T1 WoC:
Death sorcerer seems to target star dragon. If he were succesful, Prince would likely pass the test but the the dragon fail, does the whole model is removed from play or jusst the dragon?
We decided during the game that we roll separately for both and they are removed separately. The page 105 mentiones that if spell that uses template touches the base both rider and mount is hit.

However there is rule that states that mounted character are treated as single model for all purpose except the ones that ridden monster rule dictates. Thus I think by RAW it could be argued that there is two hits and if either of them fails whole unit dies.
razorfate wrote: T2 He:
Purple sun against elves has more hindrance than benefits. Lack of luck for the chaos guys.
T3 WoC:
I'd not go with purple sun only with all the mages i have but it was a decent shot to kill the dragon. That also answers my inital question about the matter...
T4 WoC:
Keep on beating himself again with purple sun. Why would he take the other mages if he was only going to cast purple sun only. He was very weak with the board control altough having multiple chariots which he did not coordinate his attacks with each other.
razorfate wrote: T5:
Excellent block move by the reavers:) Opponent should take them out by fireball or some spell like that long before instead of purplesunning the dragon. Well done:)
tricky trick!
razorfate wrote: Gz on the win:)

That block move really made my day as i love the fast cav shengenians:)
yep.