2250 Lizardmen Vs The Empire

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

NexS

2250 Lizardmen Vs The Empire

#1 Post by NexS »

Hi All,
I thought I'd share last night's battle with everyone :)
This is preparation for a tournament next april (getting in early so i can have a fully converted/painted army ready for april). So without further ado.
Lizardmen

Slann - Lv4 Life, Becalming Cogitations, Harmonic Convergence, Channel Staff, BSB +1 LD, Shrieking Blade
Oldblood - Cold One, Charmed Shield, Dawnstone, Sword of Bloodshed, Potion of Speed
Scar Veteran - Cold One, Armour of Destiny, Great Weapon
Skink Priest - Lv1 Beasts, Dispel Scroll

27 Saurus Warriors - Spears, Command
3x 10 Skink Skirmishers - Champion
3 Terradon Riders - Champion, Fireleeches
9 Cold One Riders - Command, Spears
Ancient Stegadon - Engine of the Gods, Sharpened Horns
The Empire

Grand Master - Runefang, 1+/6++ (i think)
Lv4 Light - Book of Ashur, Endurance
Another character? General maybe? can't remember
Captain BSB 1+/6++
Warrior Priest - 4+ Great weapon/hand weapon, cloak of ulrich maybe?
Witch Hunter - pistol brace, great weapon

10 IC knights - Steel standard
10 Knights great weapons
29 Greatswords - 15 swordsmen, armour piercing banner
Steam Tank
Table:
Battle line. There were trees scattered across the table, but only came into play once

Spells:
Slann: Earth Blood, Regrowth, Throne of Vines, Flesh to Stone
Skink Priest: Wyssan's Wildform
Wizard Lord: Birona's Timewarp, Net of Amyntok, Shem's Burning Gaze, Pha's Protection

Deployment (my left to my right)
Empire: He deployed mostly central
IC knights w/ Grand Master, steam tank, swordsmen, greatswords w/ characters, great weapon knights

Lizardmen: I deployed on the right mostly
skinks, skinks (skinks behind), terradons, saurus block w/ slann, stegadon, cavalry bus

I vanguarded my terras into the middle, far enough away from the steam tank because it's a scary machine! Then I won the roll-off for first turn, YAY!

LM Turn 1:
I ummed and arred about flying over the swordsmen or greatswords to drop rocks on them but decided against it because i'd have been far too close to units and inside charge arc... So I opted to bait the great weapon knights with them. I pushed the flank with the cavalry and pivotted inward, then moved the skirmishers around the saurus unit, who'd just moved up a little, for protection. The steg followed suit and prepared to bring the pain.

Magic was a little boring. I got Throne and earthblood and that was it. Life is boring early-game. Shooting was equally exciting.

EMPIRE Turn 1:
First big hit to the empire. Stank generated 5 points and misfired, then rolled a 6 to blow up. Ouch! But he still had 2 units of knights and greatswords. All three equally as scary.
The great weapon knights charged the terras, I flee. he redirects into some skirmishers, needing 11 to reach. I choose to shoot, as it's a long shot for him to reach. Then he proceeds to roll double 6's, those knights were angry.

Magic saw the great weapon knights have Birona's Timewarp. Goodbye skinks.... And Net on the saurus cavalry.

The knights overran into the saurus block.

LM Turn 2:
THe cavalry passed their strength test and charged the flank of the knightly order. I shuffled skinks around again and rallied the terras and returned them to block charges. The steg moved forward and threatened a charge for next turn.
I didn't need magic again this round, which was lucky because he dispelled almost everything!
He did one wound on my slann and killed 2 saurus warriors and a cold one rider, then the Oldblood with the Sword of bloodshed lit up the battlefield with the sparks and blood. He hit with 7 attacks, PF gave me 2 more, and one failed to wound. He dropped 4 knights. Scar vet dropped 3 and the rest of my attacks brought him down to a single unit champion. He fled and my cold ones failed their strength test! Bummer!

EMPIRE Turn 2:
The swordsmen charged my skinks (in a forest), hoping to flee me, then cascade more flee's across my terras and skirmishers. I threw javelins at them instead, knowing that they'd be steadfast. I think one died to panic fire. Having seen the bravery of the skinks, the rest of his army reformed for a better position next turn (as the net of amyntok had spoiled my army's formation).
Magic saw it to be my turn to dispe like a bowss.
The swordsmen did well, and the skinks failed their stubborn test and were run down (or killed outright.. i can't remember), but the swordsmen overran into the terradons. Ooops!

LM Turn 3:
Cold ones charged the swordsmen (overkill?? haha), and the steg charged the greatswords. The skinks blocked the IC knights and the Priest joined the saurus block as it moved up into a better BSB/LD bubble position.
I regrew my cold one and regenned the lost wound back on the slann and flesh to stone'ed the blocking skinks. Was a nice defensive magic phase!
The Oldblood (who, after this battle report, will acquire a name due to his Stirling performance!) wrecked face once more, killing almost the entire unit before any other saurus could attack. They overran, hoping to clip the greatswords for another round of combat, but were out on an angle. They ended up out of arc, which was almost as good.
The stegadon killed about 7 greatswords before, he himself was killed outright. Bam. It was only fair though, as the steam tank blew up as well. I took the loss as the equilibrium loss for the stank. Fair is fair.
Greatswords reformed on the flank of the cold ones.

EMPIRE Turn 3:
No surprises, Greatswords slam into the cold ones' flank and the knights reform away from the skink blockers. Good work Skinks.
The wizard lord managed to get pha's protection off, but i had to burn my scroll on timewarp!
I made way with the oldblood, Then challenged with the scar vet, which was the only way to minimise the great weapon attacks from the unit. The priest accepted the challenge and caused a wound on my scarvet, but died shortly afterward from a great weapon to the face. The Oldblood managed another massacre, killing cabout 5 or 6 greatswords. I win combat and reform .

LM Turn 4:
I set up a double flee on the knights and move the saurus block into a more favourable position.
I stone the skinks' flesh again and regen the scarvet's lost wound and move onto shooting where the skinks knock off one knight.
Combat sees the greatswords lose another rank, and the witch hunter dies to the scar vet. I reform wider.

EMPIRE Turn 4:
I think the knights ignore the double flee and reforms again, this time facing the rear of the cold ones.
The wizard casts net of amyntok on the terras and I dispel the rest! Slann refuses to see his spawning defeated!

This round of combat the unit of greatswords is killed to the last man and the general of the empire is killed in the challenge. The BSB pops for breaking and the wizard escapes the pursuers (I rolled a hefty 5).

LM Turn 5:
Oldblood charges out of the unit and flees the wizard off the table. Cold ones Reform to the knights and the skinks setup the start of another double flee. BUT the terras fail their strength test! Now it's up to the slann to protect the army!
With Throne of Vines still in place, I IF flesh to stone and make the skinks T6. I proceed to then IF regrowth and rebuild the whole unit of terras! Then he rolls all dice to dispel throne.

EMPIRE Turn 5:
If the oldblood wasn't such a monster, then the last unit of skinks would have earned themselves a Name of Reknown for their next play! The knights charged them, they held and lost only 3 skinks! They hold.

LM Turn 6:
It must have been the way the units were positioned, but charging the cold ones in would have only given me one guy in b2b, so i opted to block the knights future charge with the terras.
With no inclination to waste dice on throne, i try a wildform and draw out the dispel dice, then flesh to stone the skinks for T4.
The skinks were boss again this turn and lost every man in their unit bar 1, killed a knight and snake eyes'ed a break test! Boss indeed!

EMPIRE Turn 6:
The knights kill the last skink. The End.

Afterthoughts.
Good:
Taking advantage of the first turn and pushing up the flank forced the empire units to act individually, which allowed me to take them out one at a time.
The skinks and terradon's gave me time to deal with the greatswords comfortably. Without them, the IC knights will have rear charged the cold ones and it'd have been game over.

Bad:
Stegadon died way too easily. But again, I marked that down to karma.
Net of amyntok was a pain in this game as is stopped me in the ideal positions for my opponent.
Lore of Life was crucial at times, which was great, but in all other times it was near useless and I ended up casting spells for the hell of it (which makes me feel like something was wrong). I'm thinking that perhaps Beasts wasn't the best choice for skink due to the fact that Life has good Toughness buffs..... But then I remember that +3A and +3S is freaking amazing and would turn my oldblood into something of a monster that makes Carnossaurs look like a pet lizard.
And I forgot to use the potion of speed, charmed shield and drop rocks. Ooops.

I'd like to hear any thoughts you may have! :)

Thanks for reading.
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]