Serkeros Herumakil and the Harbingers of Doom

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

teep

Serkeros Herumakil and the Harbingers of Doom

#1 Post by teep »

The Successful Failiure of a Noob

Hey guys,

my name is Daryl and I am a nerd (this is the part where yo say " Hi Daryl) :). I got back into the hobby 2,5 years ago after
a 20 year break, mainly for painting and modelling. As time went by and troops amassed, I gave the game itself a try and
fell in love with it right away. That was in the last months of our 7th ed book. So far, Ive only played casually, though with real armies
so to speak, but usually my hobby time is spent at the work bench. To get more games in, I plan to enter the (local) tourney circuit,
starting this week end.
I wouldn’t mind a tip or two, as I’m still struggling generally with the game's steep ass learning curve, plus I'm not used to play under the respective
restrictions. Moreover, I haven’t even faced half of the armies out there as of now .
Instead of boring y’all to death with the full version of the comp, I’ll just outline the “meta“ briefly and post up the the lists I consider taking.

-2000 points; 27 players, many of the ranking some around the 100 mark or better (the other two HEs are ranked 2. And 14th);
all armies present sans DE and WE

- caps on flyers, templates; no Dragons/DP; max one thunderstomping monster; max 350(!)pts in one unit

-Special Chars allowed; max 3 of the same core, 2 of the same lord/hero/special choice; one “bannerless“ unit may carry a flag up
to 25pts worth into the frey

- Max 3 magic levels across the roster; 4 dice cap for casting;

- for HEs: one outta book, banner, frostie; 2 flyers max, mounted hero/prince and mr frostie count as 2; rare is restricted to solo choices,
but we are allowed to bring 2 eagles and/or two rbts

Thanks for bearing with me so far, really appreciate it :P - now, onto the lists:

Combined Arms:

Loremaster, Scroll, ToP
BSB, steed, HA, lance, PoS, Eshield, Dawnstone (goes into flaming SHs)
13 SH, FC, Flaming Banner
5 ER w/ bows, 5 ER w/ spears
18 White Lions, FC, BotW
18 PG, FC, Razor Standard
2 Rbt
Flamy

Cavhammer:

Prince, b.steed, HA, Eshield, Giant Blade, Dawnstone
L2Hi, steed, ring, scroll
L1sky, Iron Curse, Obsidian Amulet
BSB, b.steed, HA, Ogre Blade, DrHelm, shield
5 Er w/ spears
5 SH
12 SH, FC
18 PG, FC, Razor Standard
2 Rbt
Frostie
Eagle

On Sunday, I will post some pictures, my army's rationale and give an outline where I'd like to see this bloggie going, but for now it's all about listhammer, comp breaking, and blood. I mean, fun, of course :mrgreen:

PS: I do not know how to upload pictures, so here's a link to my German blog for some color: http://www.tabletopwelt.de/index.php?/t ... om/page-19

and for the record, I had my PG converted like that right around the invention of mustard, sooooo.....:)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: Serkeros Herumakil and the Harbingers of Doom

#2 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Daryl! :)

Your models are fantastic! I think you should repost the pictures here too. They really deserve it! I am curious what models did you use for your characters, they look splendid. The same with Lion Chariot crew! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
teep

#3 Post by teep »

Hey Swordie, glad you like em - there is at least double the points to come and I've already
scheduled a photoshooting with knights, sisters and their cousins for sunday. I just hope somebody
can fill me in on uploading pictures until then :)
As for the characters, well the Giant Blade dude is from Darksword Miniatures, the BSB from
Bane Legions and Brittney and Lindsay grew up in Confrontation land (obviously?).

Regarding the list/tourney input, I'm still eagerly awaiting all your kind replies - don't be shy
and help a dude out [-o<

Here's a link to my Griffon Hero and some PG/SM WIP pics:
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/index.php?/t ... om/page-18
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#4 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi there,

I didn't offer any suggestions to the army lists themselves as I believe every player needs to find his own. It is good to get an inspiration from others and check (if possible) what they have achieved with their respective armies but ultimately it is your force and you should include what you think can work. Then play games and learn about yourself and how your army reflects the style of play you might be leaning to.

Personally, if I were to pick one of the two you posted I would go for the second one but only because I prefer to have more support units. It does not say the first army is in any case worse (or better for that matter!), I just feel better if I have more of fast units that can mess up with the enemy movement phase.

The only thing about first list is that I think you cannot give magic banners to Silver Helms.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
teep

#5 Post by teep »

Thanks for your assessment, 'tis much appreciated. I totally agree that finding stuff out yourself by playing a lot of
games is the key to having fun and getting better.

In my comfort zone regarding comp - Combat 8.1 and ETC -I begin to get an idea what I like and what army/playstyle
suits me. The thing is though, I have never dealt with this particular, and rather harsh, set of restrictions before.
Unfortunately, I can't bring my preferred type of army to this event, so I try to get some insight on what more experienced
players might see "most" viable in this sort of environment.
Before Combined Arms and the Anointed lists, I used to run double elites - but then, the high percentage of Dark Elves and
Empire in my group made me reconsider.

So, one of my questions would be, if you guys consider double elites a good idea in a setting where there are 3 Deamons
and 3 Brets, but no DE/WE (who tend to crap all over my beloved WL unfortunately). And what doeas everbody think about
the inclusion of Flaming attacks in that meta? Since there are also 2 Vamps participating, I think I need them, and yet I'm
not sure about the source or composition? Ranged, as in shooting and/or magic? What about CC? Is Caradryan worth it, or
is a Flaming unit the better option? I think Flaming Helms might be fun - the Comp allows it and it's cheap :)