Dragon list vs. wood elves ( with two lvl. 4's)

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andros123

Dragon list vs. wood elves ( with two lvl. 4's)

#1 Post by Andros123 »

Hello guys.

I'm entering a Warhammer league in the beginning of december. The best one in each league will then meet each other in the national finals. When playing in this league you are allowed to change your armylist so it fit's your opponents army (he will of course try to do the same). This is a practice game vs. wood elves, where I try to field what I think is best against our fragile, but deadly friends from the woods.
My list:

Lords
Prince on a moon dragon
Shield, amour of destiny, ring of fury, dawnstone and great weapon

Heroes
Noble BSB on barded steed
Dragon armour, lance, shield, Banner of the world dragon

Noble on barded steed
Dragon amour, star lance, shield

Mage lvl. 2 high magic on steed
Dispel scroll

Mage lvl. 2 high magic on steed

Core
13 silverhelms
full command

10 archers
musician

2x5 reavers with bows

Rare
4xbolt throwers

frostheart Phoenix

Eagle

Wood elf list. From memory

Lords
Spellweaver lvl. 4 shadow
Book of ashur

Spellweaver lvl. 4 life
dispel scroll

Heroes
Glade Captain BSB

Shadowdancer

Waystalker

Core
3x10 glade guards with Hagbane tips (poison)

16 eternal guards
Full command

Special
3x5 Wild riders

9 waywatchers

Treeman

Rolling for spells
I got: Apotheosis, walk between worlds and 2xsoul Quench (because it is awesome against all elves)

He got some serious power spells: Throne of whines, Earthblod, regrowth, dwellers, miasma, enfeebling, withering, mind razor.

Initial thoughts
I wanted to get into close combat ASAP, since I was really scared of dwellers on my silver helm bus and all his shooting. Further I was planning on going directly after his mages, which he had in with his eternal guards (second rank).

Deployment
He got his wild riders on each flanks and eternal guards with both mages in the middle. On both sides of the eternal guards are his glade guards. The treeman is also in the middle of the board.

I positioned myself a bit to the left with the phoenix, bus and dragon. My bolt throwers were nicely spread out at the back line.
He scouted his waywatchers close to my silver helm bus, behind some impassable terrain.

The game
With my +1 I get first turn, which is so important with all this shooting.

High elves Turn 1
I move the phoenix and dragon up very aggressively with the silver helm bus a bit further behind. Making sure to be within soul Quench range. I'm now staring at his bunker with both monsters.

Magic
First i try a small walk between worlds on my dragon. He lets it through and now I can park it in front of some tasty glade guards and use my breath weapon.
He then stops one soul quench, but I get one off with my other mage on his waywatchers killing 4.
I then use my ring of fury with on dice and get another soul quench of against his glade guards.

Shooting
My bolt throwers shoot at some glade guards and wild riders. Every elf with poison shoots, is really worth killing when I have the phoenix.

Wood elves turn 1:
My first turn was really brutal to him, since he had lost a lot of elves to magic and shooting.
After some thinking he declares a charge with his eternal guard bunker, on my dragon! He get's into my flank. His plan is to break be on combat res.
Otherwise he advance with some wild riders against my bolt throwers and move his treeman over to the combat.

Magic
I was really scared that he would spam shadow magic on the dragon, but instead he starts with casting thrown of wines. I let it through. I then goes for earth blood, which he cast irresistibly with two dice. Nothing happens because of thrown. He also get a boosted miasma through, but then I stop withering.

Shooting
He puts two wounds on my phoenix. Hate those poison arrows.
He also kill 2 silver helms with his waywatchers

Combat
He puts a wound on my prince and I kill his unit champion forcing his mage to the front rank. He wins by a lot and get's excited until I tell him that my dragon is stubborn, when I'm within 12´of the world banner :shock:

High elves Turn 2

I declare a charge with my phoenix into his bunker, where my dragon all ready is. I then turn my silver helm bus to face some wild riders, that are heading for my bolt throwers. I move the bus a bit, so that his treeman can't attack me.
His treeman gets into combat with my phoenix.

Magic
I destroy a unit of wild riders with soul quench.

Shooting
More wild riders die, and a few more glade guards

Combat
Now that I have the phoenix in the fight, he doesn't get his rerolls and -1 strength, which is pretty damn good.
I put 2 wounds on his shadow mage (hard when he has this 4++ from earth blood) and kill his BSB.
I win, but he is stubborn.

Wood elf turn 2:
He declares a charge against my bolt thrower, whit his last unit of wild riders and they fail the charge.

Magic
He cast earth blood again and I let it trough. He then goes for regrowth which I scroll (don't want his champion back) and manage to stop the rest.

Combat
Now it really starts to go south for him. I kill his shadow mage and some eternal guards. His treeman do no wounds, but the eternal guards manage to put another wound on my prince.

High elves Turn 3

I move my bus up, so I can soul quench his Waywatchers.
My reavers are behind enemy lines hunting small groups of glade guards.

Magic
I get a boosted soul quench of and completely remove his waywatchers along with a waystalker.

Shooting
Kill the remaining wild riders

Combat
I kill the shadow dancer with my prince and the phoenix puts two wounds on the treeman. There is almost no eternal guards left.

Wood elf turn 3

Nothing important happens in the other phases so I'll just go to combat.
I kill his lvl. 4 life and the eternal guards break, but my dragon chases them down.
The phoenix puts another two wounds on the treeman and takes one in return.

High elves turn 4

I basicly mob up the rest of his army and the game ends here, with a solid 20-0 for the high elves!

After thoughts
This game could have been a lot different if he had got the first turn, however I still think my list would have outperformed his, because he would have a very hard time on killing that dragon and my bus.
Also having the possibility of casting 3 soul Quenches per turn is pretty amazing. When casting magic, I didn't even notice that I had lower level casters than my opponent, however it hurts a bit, when you are dispelling.
If I were to play against wood elves again, I think I would bring a similar list, since I just don't see how they can handle multiple big monsters and lots of BS shooting.

Any comments are more then welcome :) .
Have a nice day.
Feeblings

Re: Dragon list vs. wood elves ( with two lvl. 4's)

#2 Post by Feeblings »

Good report. Thanks for the read.
Andros123

Re: Dragon list vs. wood elves ( with two lvl. 4's)

#3 Post by Andros123 »

Great to hear, thanks Feeblings. :)