EPIC: No dream of peace - HE vs DE - La Guerre au Garage

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Myth

EPIC: No dream of peace - HE vs DE - La Guerre au Garage

#1 Post by Myth »

Hi guys,
I don't know have you been mentioning these guys already, but currently they are setting the stage for epic HE vs DE battle. Their bat reports are really amazing, so far the best I saw, high production, high quality painted armies and terrains. They speak French though, but never mind you'll be able to follow up.

'No dream of peace' theme has High Elves invading Naggaroth. Battle will be set near the Drucchi watchtower and I believe that could be an attempt to regain foothold on DE realm (if I'm correct previous HE outpost in Naggaroth Arnheim was sacked by the DEs).

I'm really excited about this one and already agreed with my buddy, Dark Elf player to watch this together......although it may be risky :D

Teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29DAeMy ... JBcQGgAqQQ

Battle board display:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNeWWHX ... JBcQGgAqQQ

Dark Elves army display:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2XTzkp ... JBcQGgAqQQ
I'm hoping there won't be many left at the end :twisted:

High Elves army display:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6qPK2r ... JBcQGgAqQQ

Let us keep our finger crossed for our Asur!
Loremaster Avarael

Re: EPIC: No dream of peace - HE vs DE - La Guerre au Garage

#2 Post by Loremaster Avarael »

Wow........just wow! Everything looks to notch, I'm really excited to see how this plays out. Thank you for posting.
Myth

#3 Post by Myth »

Battle report has been uploaded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrhjvj7xATU

I won't watch it till evening, so please don't spoil :)

Their comment yesterday was (translated from French) "36 minutes of intensive brutality" :twisted:
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#4 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

:shock:

These armies and table are simply unreal! Fantastic quality, great conversions just a pity I don't understand French to fully appreciate the game!

Thanks for posting anyway, great inspiration for sure! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
RE.Lee

#5 Post by RE.Lee »

Incredible stuff - love the wolf riding shadow warriors, thats a great Reaver conversion idea! Thanks for posting this!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Iluvatar

#6 Post by Iluvatar »

I feel lucky to be French, just so I can fully enjoy those reports! :wink:

Seriously, I have never been fond of video battle reports - I just couldn't see what they brought that a written report didn't. That is, until I found La Guerre au Garage last year. All their reports are amazing, and for their last two reports, they even built the gaming tables specifically for the occasion, and wrote the scenarios accordingly. The whole lot is just great!

If there's some details you'd like me to translate from French, don't hesitate to ask. I won't have time to translate the whole of it, but it should be possible for some parts.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#7 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Iluvatar,

It seems they have some kind of bidding system based on which they collect enough resources to create a new report. Here is the link to the website:

https://www.tipeee.com/la-guerre-au-garage

Do you know if they plan to do English versions of their reports? Also, is there any mention of the software they use to create diagrams?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Myth

#8 Post by Myth »

Hi Iluvatar,
it is great to have you here! :)

I know it can be a time-consuming, but is there a chance that you provide brief report on English, at least for this and previous bat rep (WE vs DM)? We can figure out some parts of the battle, but we're missing information about magic phase (what spells were used on which units and effects), CC phase how many wounds were inflicted, what was the combat res etc....

For example if you can declaim:
1 Turn: HE spears moved towards DE corsairs, archers shoot on Dark Riders , inflicting 5 casualties. Magic missile Furry of Khain caste on Witches, 4 wounds inflicted......etc...

Also do you have some more info about this guys? Are they some WH enthusiast or there is something more behind it? I see they use to collect funds which supports their work, but I doubt they can cover entire project on that way.

Thanks and regards,
Myth
Iluvatar

#9 Post by Iluvatar »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Hi Iluvatar,

It seems they have some kind of bidding system based on which they collect enough resources to create a new report. Here is the link to the website:

https://www.tipeee.com/la-guerre-au-garage

Do you know if they plan to do English versions of their reports? Also, is there any mention of the software they use to create diagrams?

Cheers!
It's a donation system. If you liked the report and would like to support them, you can "tip" on the link you provided and get a little additional contents: view the next report 48 hours before it's public, get some artwork, a special mini featured in a report, or even participate in the next edition!
They started this 2 reports ago. The first 4 reports they made were already excellent, but for the 5th they started an even more dedicated approach: gaming tables made for each occasion, with professional photo equipment (you can see this in some making of videos). So it was suggested to them to use a funding system to avoid the cost being too high, and it does seem to help them!

The report #5 was initially planned to have a French and an English version, and they made the trailer in English (partly) for this reason. But they realized that their accent, hesitations and lack of spontaneity sort of killed the spirit of the reports, so they decided to forget it for a while...
Myth wrote:Hi Iluvatar,
it is great to have you here! :)

I know it can be a time-consuming, but is there a chance that you provide brief report on English, at least for this and previous bat rep (WE vs DM)? We can figure out some parts of the battle, but we're missing information about magic phase (what spells were used on which units and effects), CC phase how many wounds were inflicted, what was the combat res etc....

For example if you can declaim:
1 Turn: HE spears moved towards DE corsairs, archers shoot on Dark Riders , inflicting 5 casualties. Magic missile Furry of Khain caste on Witches, 4 wounds inflicted......etc...

Also do you have some more info about this guys? Are they some WH enthusiast or there is something more behind it? I see they use to collect funds which supports their work, but I doubt they can cover entire project on that way.

Thanks and regards,
Myth
I'll try! I didn't have time to look at the latest report yet, but I'll see what I can do tomorrow.
And yes, there a "just" WH enthusiasts. No professional thing involved there - it makes it even more remarkable to me.
Myth

#10 Post by Myth »

Great! No rush, just take your time, although we're eager to find out more details about this battles. :wink:
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#11 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Iluvatar,

Thanks a lot! I think I will try to donate anyway as their work is stunning and I think they are putting lots of effort, much more than the end result suggests. Such initiative is definitely worth trying. Do you have direct contact to them? If not I will try to write to them anyway. I think that there is a relatively easy way to make their reports "readable" for others, simply adding English captions to the video, even while they chat in French, would help non-French speakers. The more international the audience they get the more resources they can obtain for future projects!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Iluvatar

#12 Post by Iluvatar »

Hi guys!

I forgot Swordmaster's question about the software used - they mentioned After Effect some time ago. Pretty sure it's still the same.

As for contacting them, I guess the best way to do it is by the Tipee link (which you did :wink: ) or by commenting on either the French forum thread (http://www.warhammer-forum.com/index.ph ... pic=190725) or their topic on Warseer - not updated recently, unfortunately (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... orts-Video). I'll also encourage them to come say hi here! :)

Note that the usual players and channel owners (known as Mateo and Run) have an invitee for this game, known as grand_frere on forums, and his own HE army. He plays against Mateo's DE army.

I've also taken the time to translate part of the dialogs. First, army lists (without magic items):

HE Army
Prince on Star Dragon
Annointed of Asuryan
BSB
Dragon Mage (Flaming Sword, Fulminating Cage)
Lvl 2 High Mage (Soul Quench, Hand of Glory)

30 Lothern Sea Guards
20 Archers
15 Archers
5 Ellyrian Reavers

7 Swordmasters
25 White Lions
15 White Lions
1 Tiranoc chariot

1 Great Eagle
6 Sisters of Avelorn
1 Bolt Thrower
1 Frostheart Phoenix

DE army
Lord on Black Dragon
Supreme Sorceress (Lvl 3, Doombolt, Chillwind, Bladewind)
BSB on Pegasus
Master on Pegasus
Matriach on Cauldron of Blood

30 Spearmen
15 Witches
31 Witches
16 Darkshards

5 Cold One Knights
2 x 6 Shades
5 Harpies
1 Chariot
2 Hydras
1 Bolt Thrower

5 Warlocks
1 Medusa

Then, the most important dialogs, with the approximate starting time... There's a LOT missing in the following, though it's impossible to translate or even have a written version of...

Intro

[0:40] A few words on the table: it was specially made by VD Studio, professional painter & modellist for WH. The table was offered to the project. Tower and forests are magnetised. The table is for sale if anyone is interested (see email)...
Note: this is the first partnership/sponsorship for the channel.

[2:25] Scenario. Simple one for this game: battleline, 4000 points. All models count towards VPs. The control of the Tower and the HE boat (both counted as buildings) gives 500 VPs bonus.

[3:20] DE deployment
Spearmen and Sorceress defend the Tower, Darkshards used as 2nd wave or reinforcements in the tower. Mobile units on the left, main force on the right.

[4:05] HE deployment
Main battle line in the center, monsters as support. 15 archers in the boat.

[4:50] Shades on each flank. Shadow warriors to support archers on the left.

Turn 1

[5:20] DE start the game. Warlocks move up a gap in the HE line. The rest of the army stays too far for HE charges. General and BSB on the right flank.
[6:05] Magic (no info on dice): Chillwind on Sisters kills 3. Bladewind on big white lions, but the Annointed's special rules prevents most damage (DE players discovers the Annointed's rules).
[6:55] Shades kill the Wolf-reavers (the DE players found them too well converted and didn't want competition towards his own models :wink: ).
[7:20] Single bolt puts 1W on Tiranoc chariot.

[7:33] HE turn 1. The chariot hides from the dragon. Small redeployment, both players fear to advance in the large uncovered area in the center. Archers on the left swift reform towards the warlocks.
Dragons switch places to avoid the charge of the black dragon on DM.
[8:10] Magic, 12 dice. Soul quench puts 1W on Hydra. Hand of glory gives +3 BS to archers. All dispels are failed this turn! Flame cage on witches & cauldron.
[9:20] Archers kill 4 warlocks. Sisters put 1W on Hydra.

Turn 2

[9:37] DE turn 2. Black dragon flies further on the flank. Witches & cauldron don't move (they are flame-caged). Harpies in front of witches to avoid frenzy checks. The army doesn't move much to keep HE monsters at range, except for the non BSB master and surviving warlocks.
[10:30] 4 dice + 1 channel. All on warlocks' doombolt that kill 7 archers.
[10:50] Shades and chariot shoot the remaining sisters. Bolt Thrower kills the chariot.
[11:20] Darkshards on Swordmasters, 2 dead.

[11:35] HE T2. Sea guards and Swordmasters fail charge on hydras. Phoenix fails charge on shades, but Shadow Warriors and archers make it.
Other units form the battleline back next to Sea Guards.
[12:10] Black dragon is ignored: with flight, it can get anywhere anyway.
[12:15] Dragon mage tries to put pressure on the warlocks.
[12:20] Magic and shooting do nothing. Shadow warriors are killed by shades, shades are killed too.

Turn 3

[12:50] DE turn 3. Many possibilites, lots of thinking. Decision is to try to handle the Star Dragon asap with the Black Dragon + chariot.
[13:20] Potion of Strength on Master, DE player knew he wouldn't get the Phoenix in 1 turn, but bonuses (charge, downhill, flank) could make it flee. Possible overrun towards the swordmasters instead of big WL (thus the corner to corner positioning).
COK on archers.
Hydras do not charge the sea guards in order to fry them.
[14:40] Harpies redirect SM to avoid flank charge on Hydra.
[14:45] Medusa redirects WL, since it can't do much else anyway.
[15:05] Shades and small witches go around WL.
[15:15] Warlocks threaten the RBT.
[15:30] Magic, 7 power dice. Boosted Doombolt on archers in the boat: all archers are killed!
[16:10] Shooting, swordmasters are finished.
[16:25] Half of sea guards are killed by breath weapons.
[16:45] HE players feels he has no army on the battlefield. :)
[17:00] Archers lose combat, flee and are caught.
[17:15] Phoenix against pretentious master on pegasus! He has sword of striking, charmed shield, PoS and Pidgeon Plucker Pendant. 1W on Phoenix, 1W on master. Test on -3 for phoenix, holds thanks to IP + BSB.
[18:30] The lords fight. The chariot makes impact hits before challenges ==> 7 S5 hits. Thanks to T7, the dragon only takes 1W. The HE player challenges, both players put all attacks on the riders and both die. The Star Dragon passes his break test on -3. Both monsters pass the reaction test.

[19:57] WL on redirecting medusa. Dragon Mage in the flank of Cold One Knights. Small WL keep sight on hydras and darkshards. Sea guards deepen ranks.
[20:32] 6PD in magic, Soul quench removes 3W on a hydra - it has only one left. Sea guard shooting does nothing.
[21:00] RBT avenges the archers and finishes the warlocks, after hesitating with hydra.
[21:20] Phoenix vs master on pegasus: master takes 1W, flees and escapes. WL kill the medusa and overun out of sight of Witches (box cars!).
[22:00] Star dragon kills the chariot. Black dragon uses breath weapon but loses fights, holds.
[22:30] 2 COK killed, survivors hold but can't reform.

Turn 4

[22:50] DE T4. Hydra on 1W declares suicide charge on Star dragon to clear the path from the Cauldron to the sea guard. BSB goes in too.
Master on pegasus rallies, harpies block small WL.
Shades and small witches move towards the boat after checking they will be able to go in before T6.
[24:00] Magic, 8PD. 2 PD used on Doombolt on WL, no dispell, 7 casualties in spite of 4+ WS (none passed). Bladewind on WL, the sorceress get hexed by Sivejir's scroll.
[24:48] Fight between Dragon Mage and COK: one knight dies, but they hold and reform.
[25:12] The fight with sea guards is done first, to try to have witches overrun into SD. All sea guards die, but the overrun fails for 1 inch.
[25:48] 2 attacks on hydra, 1 passes and kills it. 1W done on black dragon, it fails break test at -2 and flees. Shades fail panic! SD does not pursue to keep LoS on Witches.

[26:50] HE T4. Star Dragon charges black dragon out of the table and redirects on witches to prevent them from reaching the boat.
Small WL charge harpies. Phoenix charges master on pegasus.
Large WL move towards the tower. The pressure is now on DE as the HE still have all monsters, WL, and can hope to control or deny control for both buidings.
No magic, shooting kills a few witches.
[28:10] Phoenix kills pegasus master. Cold One Knights are killed, but the fire mage too, and the dragon fails its monster reaction test. It will spend the
rest of the game guarding its master's body.
[28:48] Many witches killed by SD but they are steadfast and reform.

Turn 5

[29:03] DE T5. Cauldron and furies can't see star dragon. Hydra into WL since it's still on full wounds.
BSB gets to security to grant re-rolls to the incoming fights for the tower.
No magic, no shooting.
[29:30] WL fluff combat, the hydra wins, WL flee and are caught.
Star dragon fluffs and kills two witches, he gets wounded and is on 1W now!

[30:28] HE T5. Phoenix charges hydra, it flees to security. The Great Eagle charges as well and the hydra flees off table (big rolls both times)!
WL and Annointed charge the spearmen and the (still frog) sorceress in the tower.
No magic. No shooting.
[31:33] Star Dragon kills witches.
[31:55] The DE assassin is revealed, challenges the naked Annointed, and kills him. WL do a lot of kills, DE fail the rerollable stubborn test and flee. 13 WL in the tower.

Turn 6

[32:57] Last DE turn. Witches and cauldron charge the tower (7+).
Shooting, a single bolt finishes the Star Dragon!
Combat, witches kill all Lions but can't garrison the tower due to the cauldron.
Huge points swing in this turn (SD and WL killed + control of the Tower)!

[34:00] HE T6. No charge, nothing to do...

Conclusion

[34:15] End game. Great game! 4000 points where all casualties counted.
DE win with 3648 VPs vs 3124.

Thanks to all people (notably VD studio), etc...

Next episode is planned for next year!

That's it for the translation - I hope it improves the enjoyment you have from the game!
Don't hesitate if you have additional questions...
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#13 Post by Galharen »

Iluvatar, great job, thanks for your afford!
As to the battle report - I wish I could play someday such an epic battle myself! [-o<
Myth

#14 Post by Myth »

Yes, big thanks for the effort Iluvatar!
When you will be able to spare some of your time, please do the same for bat rep #5 (WE vs DM).
This guys are simply great and I will donate some funds for their projects since they really deserves it.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#15 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thanks so much, Iluvatar! It took some time to provide that translation so I am sure many people will be very grateful for that!

Cheers!

P.S. After Effects seems to be software to make videos (good to know about this one too) but I was not specific enough. DO you know what did they use for maps themselves? I would love to incorporate these effects or the shade of miniatures in my own reports :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Iluvatar

#16 Post by Iluvatar »

No problem, it's my pleasure!
The great news is that your interest has raised again the idea of English subtitles on their reports, and that may happen in a soonish future (read: a few weeks?)!

And they were simply delighted to see that they got a tip from the other side of the world! :)

Swordmaster, I've read their (looong) thread again on the French forum, and had the confirmation that After Effects is used both for the video assembling and the animations. I'll ask again though.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#17 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Iluvatar,

I am very happy to learn they consider that again! In fact, they even sent me a message about it :) I was very happy to add my tip because the reports is beautiful and they deserve any support possible. It is not much from me but if there are more warhammer fans around the world willing to do so they should have no problem with collecting resources for another episode!

I will check After Effects one more time. I am sure similar "special effects" can be obtained with other software. I am just curious what is their method. It would be fantastic to have more miniature-like shapes to add instead of just rectangles to the Battle Chronicle maps.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Iluvatar

#18 Post by Iluvatar »

Hello all!

I'm pleased to let you know that a subtitled version of the latest episode of La Guerre au Garage is now available on YouTube! It took more time than we had expected, for various real life reasons, but it's finally here for everyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrhjvj7xATU.
Don't forget to turn the subtitles on with the special YouTube icon on the bottom right of the vid.
Feel free to share and comment!
I'd appreciate especially if you had returns about the subtitles (frequency, display time, accuracy, missing stuff...) since it's the first time I do this...

And a personal thanks to Myth and Swordmaster of Hoeth for requesting the translation - it got me a small place in the staff of La Guerre au Garage! :wink:

Cheers,
Iluvatar

PS: yes, I know army lists are still missing. They were too much to be added in subtitles... Maybe we will add them below the video.
PPS: Episode 5 will be next. Possibly as a Christmas treat, or beg January otherwise...
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#19 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Fantastic news, Iluvatar! I am very happy for you as I am sure that despite a lot of effort it required from you it was very satisfactory to help them reach much wider group of the players! I also hope it is just a great start for a long term cooperation!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth