GAME 5 of NOVA: High Elves vs Dark Elves NEW 11/10

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

jwg20

GAME 5 of NOVA: High Elves vs Dark Elves NEW 11/10

#1 Post by jwg20 »

Hey all!

So I started a blog and am going to be using it to post painting updates and battle reports.

SO to start the blog off right, I am posting reports from a 6 game tournament I did a few weeks back. My list and such can be found on my blog:

Kurnion of Chrace Blog

First game will be up soon!
Last edited by jwg20 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Link to my YouTube Channel:
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: NOVA Open Tournament

#2 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Excellent! Can't wait to read about your games! :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
jwg20

#3 Post by jwg20 »

First BR up! 2800 pts vs Ogre Kingdoms!

Check Blog (in signature) or Youtube
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#4 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi there,

Watched the first report! That was a good game and it is a pity you didn't win it although it was going nicely your way. I have two questions:

1. Why Sabertusks cannot use general's Ld? Or did you mean they were out of range?

2. Did you consider fleeing with your Silver Helms?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
jwg20

#5 Post by jwg20 »

Hey Hey Swordmaster!!!

1) Sabertusks cannot use general's inspiring presence or BSB's hold your ground. It's a special rule for sabertusks called "Their Master's Voice." Its one of the few disadvantages the sabertusks have.

2) You mean from the ironguts? I did consider it but I was REALLY close to the board edge (I think 7" away). I weighed the chance of me rolling a 7 on swiftstride vs his chances of rolling an 8 on a normal charge and went with the less probable outcome. Most games he fails that charge even with my failed LD 10 test. But oh well, it was a fun game and games that up and down are always a blast!
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

jwg20 wrote:Sabertusks cannot use general's inspiring presence or BSB's hold your ground. It's a special rule for sabertusks called "Their Master's Voice." Its one of the few disadvantages the sabertusks have.
This rule is huge in competitive play. You can tell a good ogre player by how they use their cats and how many they include (3 is generally a good bet). Good ogres players tend to keep them out of 6" of other units because of their lack of Ld boosts which prevents cascading panic checks. If they get inside that bubble you should try and pop them ASAP.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#7 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thanks! That is indeed an important rule worth remembering!

Any chances for part 2 soon?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Interesting list sir!

I can't check the youtube right now but did both foot characters go in the Swordmasters?
jwg20

Re: NOVA Open Tournament Game 2 up!

#9 Post by jwg20 »

@ SpellArcher:

Where the mages were deployed depended on the game. Some games the high mage went in the swordmasters, but in other games both characters sat in the lions. The loremaster generally went into the lions for protection.

@Swordmaster:

YUP! Game up now!

Link to Blog (Video Embedded)

Youtube Video

Let me know what you think! Comments/questions/tactical insights are always apprecaited!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#10 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Gatti!

Just watched the video. Man, what happened? Seems like you had a very long break in playing! I just hope you made all the mistakes in that game and from now on it will be flawless :)

I think that positioning the most expensive unit on the flank but out of BSB range when you had Hellcannon and potentially Doom and Darkness (I missed his spells, what did he get?) is too risky. He was happy to take a shot as it didn't cost him much if you passed panic check but you, on the other hand, risked way too much. But you said so yourself!

I really like the bolt thrower move! Very interesting to use it as a diverter! =D>

How do you find Loremaster + level 2 High combination? It seems that despite the fact you had so many spells it didn't affect that game much? Any particular reason?

Oh, btw, what is going on with your language? "Chaffing"? Is that even the word in a dictionary? :-P Fortunately you didn't use another silliness like "synergizing" :D

Thanks a lot for posting though! I know it is hard to talk about the games that didn't go well but the good thing is you will remember it better next time no to make the same mistakes!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

jwg20

#11 Post by jwg20 »

Hey swordmaster!

Yeah, I made some mistakes in this game. He didn't get doom and darkness, but still I shouldn't have deployed such a tempting target away from my BSB. It was a mistake, and once that happened I felt out of the game completely. I feel I did an ok job preserving points after that, and prevented it from being a 20-0, but yeah I really messed up in Deployment. :oops:

I'm glad you liked the bolt thrower move though! I found it kinda amusing, to be honest. Slowest eagle in the world.

Haha, you always love making fun of fake words that appear in warhammer! You just wait, I'm going to go out of my way now to drop words like "Chaffing" and "meta" and all you other favorite terms!!!

Anyway, Game 3 is now up! Game 3 is against Dark Elves!! This was by far the most fun game of the tournament! (Sundering games are always the best!) Hope you enjoy!! Comments/questions/strategies are as always, appreciated!

Link to Blog

Link to Youtube
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: GAME 3: HE vs DE, NOVA Open Tournament

#12 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

jwg20 wrote:Haha, you always love making fun of fake words that appear in warhammer! You just wait, I'm going to go out of my way now to drop words like "Chaffing" and "meta" and all you other favorite terms!!!
It is truly End Times! :lol:

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#13 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Gatti,

Just watched your report. Indeed, games between DE and HE are very bloody so I think it was a great result for both of you!

I was wondering if you could prepare a diagram with the deployment in addition to the photos. Since they often show just part of the battle field a single diagram would help to put everything in order and should not take too long to prepare.

You had some good ideas and your opponent made some mistakes with his Warlocks so a pity the dice were not kind enough to carry these plans forward. Would you still charge with archers and reavers against dark riders? Shooting at them would be as good idea too, maybe just position reavers so that they cannot be attacked. I am not saying it is a mistake but it seems to me both options were good here. Shooting, obviously, is safer in case you fluff dice rolls as you don't need to take panic checks. :)

Ha, not only you used your bolt thrower as the diverter, your opponent turned his into a combat monster! Very good indeed, definitely prevented Silver Helms from charging there.

I am still wondering if it is not possible to tackle that WE unit. What would happen, in theory, if you could clip it from both flanks with Swordmasters and Lions? If you won first round you would get rid of hatred and frenzy. It means they are 1 attack less, no rerolls and no chance for reform while you should be able to break their steadfast eventually.

Thanks for posting, sounds like you had a blast at that event!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

jwg20

#14 Post by jwg20 »

Hey hey Swordmaster!

Good idea with the deployment overview, I like that. I'll try to integrate that into future reports to make it easier to follow. I also feel that as I get more practice with video reports, I will do a better job of getting enough pictures to give a solid overview of the entire table, but the overview will still be useful I feel.

It was a rough game, but an absolute blast! My opponent was fantastic, and we spent the entire game joking around. Overall, I feel I played pretty well, and played much better than game 2. Alas, it didn't play out great for me.

About charging, I think you're right. Generally speaking against chaff, it is better to charge with elves than to shoot, I find. Against most opponents, you don't get re rolls for shooting but you do in CC, and after break checks it is much more likely to kill a unit by charging them than it is to shoot them. However, against another elf opponent, I feel the most favorable situation shifts to just shooting them like you suggest. Since I lose the re roll benefit, hitting on 3s with arrows is better than hitting on 4s without re rolls, since I can't take any damage back when I just shoot them. It could have turned out a lot worse on that flank if I failed the LD 8 break test with the archers. My only concern is that if I killed 3/4 of the dark riders, he would probably have just retreated his last guy behind the building to prevent me from getting those points. I got the points eventually, but I agree, it was much safer to shoot them since I lost re rolls to hit.

About the witch elves, I agree I could have gotten him if I managed that combo-charge. He has 4 guys wide, which means he has 12 A at both the lions and the swordmasters for 24 attacks total with re roll to hit and poison. After saves he should do about 8 wounds total +/- 4. In return, I lose some attacks, but on average I should do about 14 wounds back +/-5... so I should be winning combat, but then I can't attack the cauldron (which I think makes him stubborn or unbreakable I believe?). If he stands and it goes to a 2nd round of CC, the counter-charge would be devastating, so it would only be safe to do it after I have handled the executioners. And if it goes to a 2nd round he gets a chance to cast shadow magic... yeah it could be bad in a prolonged fight. I could get the unit, you're right, but it would take a while, and it could turn against me fast if I let him cast buffs. Since they're frenzied, I feel it was just easier to avoid them.

NOW if my high mage rolled flames of the phoenix....

Anyway, game 4 is finally up! This game sees me against Wood Elves!

Link to Youtube

Also, that links to a video in a new channel, one that I just started with Ulthuan's very own Malossar (who just moved to DC)! He and I will both be posting reports to that channel, called "Shadows in the North." So please subscribe to the channel to keep up to date on both mine and Malossar's games!!

Hope you enjoy!!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: GAME 4 of NOVA: High Elves vs Wood Elves NEW 11/1

#15 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Gatti,

Just watched the report. Seems like you drew all the elves for your games :) Pity about that failed panic check though. In close games like that such situations can totally change the outcome of the game.

I like the addition of what you think could have been done better, really great things as it shows that there are different paths to the victory!

Great to know you and Mal are going to join forces and upload reports together. Looking forward to watching more in the (near? :)) future!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

jwg20

Re: GAME 4 of NOVA: High Elves vs Wood Elves NEW 11/1

#16 Post by jwg20 »

Hey Swordmaster! Yeah, the panic check was a bad decision for me, the general and BSB should have been there. But oh well, live and learn I guess? Hopefully I make less bone-head mistakes in the future..

And next report is now up! Game 5 sees me up against Dark Elves! So yes Swordmaster, even MORE elves!!!

Link to YouTube
jwg20

Re: GAME 5 of NOVA: High Elves vs Dark Elves NEW 11/10

#17 Post by jwg20 »

GAME 6 is FINALLY up! Sorry for the delay guys, I spilled coffee on my computer, and thought I lost the pictures. I was able to get them though, thanks to automatic backup by dropbox!

So without further adieu, I bring you the final game!

Link to Youtube