Dice and Dagger Gaming Club League

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Talathel

Dice and Dagger Gaming Club League

#1 Post by Talathel »

Hi guys,

Iv been playing warhammer for about two years now and have always been a High Elf player. I started playing in our old book when a friend of mine lent me his army to play at a local club near us. If im honest i did terribly! I got owned in all four games but learnt that elves die quickly if you just charge forward.

Now the same club has arranged a little league between 4/5 players which is going over two months. I have made up a High Elf army which i believe can deal with most types of armies except really big hoards like Goblins and Skaven which i have to face!

So my army list is:

LORD – 300p
Loremaster Of Hoeth
Sword Of Might
Enchanted Shield
Talisman Of Preservation

CORE – 310p
5x Silver Helms
Shields
Musician

5x Ellyrian Reavers
Bows

10x Archers

SPECIAL - 350p
21x Phoenix Guard
Standard + Musician
Standard Of Discipline

RARE – 240p
2x Eagleclaw Bolt Throwers
2x Great Eagle

TOTAL = 1200pts

The armies i will be going up against and there lists are

Warriors Of Chaos

Nurgle exulted hero with scaled skin, daemonic mount, 4+ ward, great weapon
Nugrle warriors, great weapons, full command and gleaming pennant
Chimera with regen
Nurgle Knights, full command ensorcelled weapons
Warhounds with scaled skin and Poison attacks

Skaven

Lord Grey seer with Foul Pendant
with 2 spells ruin 2 spells plague
Hero Chieftain, shield, Battle Standard / Banner of the Under Empire 97
30 sword M,Sb,Ch & shields
30 spear M,Sb,Ch & shields
1 ratling gun
30 spear M,Sb & shields
5 Warplock Jezzails
Warplightning Cannon
Plague claw catapult

High Elves

Loremaster - channelling staff
Noble - BSB, dragon armour, merwyrm shield, biting blade
20 spearmen - full command, standard of discipline
10 archers
10 archers
15 phoenix guard - full command, gleaming pennant
2 bolt throwers

Goblins

N Gob warlord - gw, Gamblers armour
ng big boss - giant squig, light armour, shield, dragon helm, sword of striking
ng big boss - shield, light armour, bsb, banner of discipline
ng shamen lvl2 - dispel scroll
50 ng spears, nets, fanatic
49 ng bows, nets fanatic
24 squig herd (6/18)
doom diver
stonethrower

Chaos Dwarfs (maybe)
Dark Elves (maybe)

I dont know the last two lists at the moment but will update them as we go on.

We are playing a point system of 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. With extra points for army based scenery and a camp marker which is used when troops flee they head to that. There are also secret objectives that grant an extra 500 victory points if met. These are rolled in secret so our opponent doesnt know before the battle.

1. Breakthrough - Must have a unit in the opponents deployment zone while not having one in your own.

2. Head Hunt - Must destroy the 2 most expensive units/characters.

3. Raid - Must destroy the enemy camp

4. Land Grab - Player must hold more table quarters then the opponent. To hold a quarter you must have a unit in one with no enemy units contesting it. A unit can only contest one quarter and charaters not on monsters dont count.

5. Pitched Battle - Must destroy 75% of enemy units

6. Hold - You must hold 12" from the center of the table with no enemy units within that area

GAME 1 - HIGH ELVES

I was worried about this game as he has a lot of shooting, all of which can hurt my army very quickly. My objective was breakthrough while his was Head Hunt.

We rolled off for sides and i won. There was a tower on my side and i decided to take that for my archers.

Our armies were as follows:

His - Archers Xbow PG Spears Archers Xbow Archers

He put both characters in his unit of spears - big mistake!!!

mine- reavers eagle (tower) PG+LM Eagle everything is put upto 12" in.
silver helms xbow archers Xbow

There were hills and forests but they were placed liked above in front of each other etc.

Turn 1 - My reavers vanguard up towards a forest straight ahead to try and get behind him. He rolls and wins 1st turn. His PG advance forward with his spears towards the center of the board. His PG then turn to face my reavers. His magic phase was trying to cast spirit leech which he miscasts and kills 8 spearmen but i roll a 6 and he rolls a 2/3 followed by a failed wysans cast. In his shooting phase he kills 2 silver helms and they panic but manage to stay on the table. He kills 1 PG and 1 reaver.

My eagles march 20" towards his xbows while the reavers advance up around to the left behind a forest out of site. The silver helms rally and turn to face forward again. My PG move 5" and turn to face his spear unit and the archers move into the tower. My magic phase was casting melkoths on a Xbow to drop its BS by 2 and miscasting spirit leech getting one wound on his loremaster while lossing a casting level. :(

My shooting phase was all shoots on his spear unit. I kill off all of the unit apart from the standard bearer and champion plus the two characters. My reavers shoot at his archers killing one. They are in a forest and take 3 wounds over both movement phases

Turn 2 - His archers move up so they can shoot, the unit in the forest flees from taking forest wounds and has 5 left. His Phoenix guard turn to face the silver helms / reavers. His magic phase was another failed spirit leech where i roll higher for my LD. In his shooting phase he kills off both eagles with combined fire.

I move my reavers up to flank the running archers on his table edge. The silver Helms move 18" up to flank his PG to draw them out but close enough to charge the xbow. I move my PG 10" towards his right xbow. I use melkoths again but miscast and kill 7/8 PG!! I shoot his fleeing archers with the reavers leaving 3 and finish off his spear unit and characters with the 1 xbow and the 10 archers. Seeing as he had no protection on them it was easy enough. The other xbow shoots at his archer unit on his left flank killing 2.

Turn 3 - He rallys the fleeing archers and faces my reavers to his right flank. His PG do a swift reform and move 5" towards my unit of PG on his left flank. The archers on his left flank reform but have no musician so cannot fire. He has no magic phase as i killed his Loremaster with arrows in turn 2. He shoots at my PG and silver helms doing nothing.

In my turn my Loremaster charges his Xbow, the reavers and silver helms combo charge the right flank xbow. The PG reform to face his PG. The magic phase sees me using melkoths to lower his BS on the archers to my PG rear and using iceshard to get a -1 on them to hit me.

My loremaster kills off his xbow and reforms to run around the back of his archer unit. While the other xbow is killed, the reavers turn to head towards his camp marker and the helms aim for the three archers.

Turn 4 -

He charges my PG in the rear with his archers. And turns the unit of three archers to face the silver helms once again (shame he has no musicians!) He has no shooting or magic so straight to combat/

The combat phase sees me lossing one PG and he somehow only losses a couple of archers. (Its not fun having no rerolls to hit!) I loss combat because of the rear charge but i roll and manage to hold because of steadfast. I test LD and reform to face him head on.

In my turn i charge the 3 man unit of archers with the helms. My Loremaster runs to the flank of the locked combat and casts melkoths on his pg slowing them down by 1. I shoot at his PG but manage to kill 2 of them. In the cmbat phase i manage to kill off enough of his archers to force a flee from them. He runs and if i stay and turn to face his PG i havnt got enough left to win in a straight fight so i go for the other option and run after his archers hoping to run enough to avoid a fight. He gets away and i run 3 inches GREAT!!!

Turn 5 - He charges my PG with his in the flank. His archers fail to rally and run towards the table edge again. The fight sees me loss combat and i break failing to roll a 7. He catches me and moves about 11" down the hill away from me.

I destroy his camp marker as iv been there a turn. I move all models away from his archers. My loremaster goes for a all out magic attack on his less then 10 PG unit. i put 6 dice into fireball and get 13 wounds. he manage to save 4 and the unit survives! dammit. My xbows shoot at his archers but dont kill enough of them.

Turn 6 [/b- His units move into cover and i cannot finish them off so end of game. I win the battle and get 3 League Points. I may have the deaths slightly wrong but we did play last Sunday :)
John Rainbow

Re: Dice and Dagger Gaming Club League

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Your list looks decent enough and it seems from your report that you are doing ok with it. I would just suggest you keep at it and change the things that you feel might need altering after some game-experience with it.

Good luck!
Talathel

#3 Post by Talathel »

John Rainbow wrote:Your list looks decent enough and it seems from your report that you are doing ok with it. I would just suggest you keep at it and change the things that you feel might need altering after some game-experience with it.

Good luck!
Yea im happy with the way it plays. I cant find any other way of playing elves at this points level and be able to compete. The loremaster really works well and opens up the games. He can deal with all kinds of lists really. Especially when you put him in a unit of Phoenix Guard. Spirit Leech is in my opinion one of his less useful spells as he is meant for combat debuff on your opponent. Which il explain in my Game 2 report.

We have to keep the same lists and magic choices for all the games. I only see it being hard against the hordes to come haha Im going to post battle 2 reports as i managed to table the warriors of chaos in 5 turns. :)
Talathel

#4 Post by Talathel »

Game 2 vs Warriors of Chaos

Right so i played these guys on the same day as the High Elves. Very nasty list supporting Nurgle as a theme. There bad enough to deal with in combat without that mark on them.

We rolled off to see what secret missions we had. I got Head Hunt and i think he got Pitched Battle. I also won for sides but my opponent got the first turn with his +1 for drops.

In his turn one he advances his troops as far forward as he can. His chimaera running alongside his warriors to support them later. His general deploys on his right flank. The wolves and Knights in the middle and his warriors, chimaera on the left flank.

He has no magic or shooting so straight to me.

I deploy a eagle on both flanks, my reavers on the left which vanguard forward but keep out of charge range of his lord. The archers go right in the back out of harms way so they dont become easy points. My helms and PG go dead center, but far enough back that my loremaster can see both his knights and chimeara. The xbows go on the right flank, one right out there and the other just off center. Both can see his whole army.

My 1st magic phase sees me throwing 6 dice at searing doom at his knights. I get enough but he somehow manages to dispel a 23. My other spell is fireball at his chimeara which doesnt cast. In the shooting phase i shoot his chimeara with both xbows on 6 shoots. Getting one wound.

Turn 2

He moves his chimeara out to the right flank for some reason but doesnt advance it. His warriors move a bit closer while his lord is slowed down by the eagle and reavers.

I march the reavers behind his lines aiming to shoot at his wolves in the back and panic them. The eagle on the right flies towards my center line and the left eagle lands behind his lord to march block. The silver helms move forward and face the right flank, wanting his warriors to charge next turn so i can flank them with my PG. The PG move forward and turn slightly to face his knights, still with the warriors in there charge arc.

I 6 dice searing doom and manage to kill off all his knights :) go loremaster! I use melkoths to slow down his warriors and then fireball his wariiors killing a couple.

In my shooting phase the reavers manage to kill off 2 dogs. The xbows cause 2 more wounds to his chimaera with 6 shots.

Turn 3

He charges at my Silver helms and fails the charge. He moves his chimaera forward this turn towards the xbow right out on the right flank. His lord moves towards my center line. His dogs walk forward towards the reavers.

I move one eagle in front of his warriors so i could flank with the PG. The other lands in front of his lord to help slow him down (HOPEFULLY). My silver helms swift reform and march behind his lord to safety. The PG face his warriors head on and move for a charge next turn.

My magic phase doesnt do much this turn as i have no targets for missiles. I believe i got iceshard blizzard oon his lord.

My xbows shoot at the chimaera and get nothing due to hard cover from terrain. The reavers kill a dog a cause a panic which they flee from.

Turn 4

His warriors charge the eagle, his lord charges the other eagle and the chimaera charges the right xbow.

His wolves dont rally and run towards there camp out on his left flank.

His lord deals 2 wounds to the eagle and it holds!! Damn i was lucky there. The other eagle goes pop in cloud of feathers and the xbow gets destroyed. His chimaera turns to face my PG's right flank. His warriors face me PG front. (Can you see where this is going?)

In my turn i charge the warriors and get in. (GULP)

My silver helms reform to face his lord. My archers which have done nothing face his chimaera just in case it survives. The reavers run after the fleeing dogs but dont shoot at them.

In my magic phase i roll an 11, just when i need it. I start by attempting to cast wysans as a ploy to use up his dice. I use four to cast and it goes off. He uses all 6 dice to dispel it. I cast melkoths on his warriors and reduce there WS by 3. Next i use Iceshard and it goes off. Magic phase done.

Just so everyone knows and understands why i did this il explain. Both units have WS5, melkoths makes me hit on threes and him on 5's. Next Iceshard reduces his to hit by 1 so he now needs 6's. Even with his nurgle i only need 4's rerolled due to ASF. :) Warriors now suck!! haha

Right so nothing exciting happens in the shooting phase.

In the combat phase he somehow manages to cause 7 wounds on the PG, I save all but 2 i think. His warriors are reduced down to 17. Deployed 7 wide. He losses combat due to my ranks but holds with a reroll from the gleaming pennant. His lord kills the eagle and turns to face the silver helms towards his table edge. They did there job of holding him away and stopping him reaching the PG.

Turn 5

He charges the helms and they hold. Way to close to escape and drawing him away as well. Expensive chaff. His chimaera charges the right flank of the PG and reaches. The wolves reach the camp marker miles away but dont rally again.

In the combat phase the chimaera dies to the PG before it can attack. They somehow get one wound and he fails the regen of 4+. They then reduce the warriors to less than 5 wide on there second rank so they have no bonus. I believe i loss a rank bonus but not enough to win him the combat. He flees and i roll an 11 to catch him. Bye bye warriors :) just so you know they had great weapons as well. NASTY!!! His lord wins combat and chases the silver helms down.

Turn 6

Id won by this point but we both agreed to try and get the PG in combat with his lord for fun. He marches 14/16 towards my PG.

I kill off his wolves with the reavers and also his camp marker. I march the PG 10 towards his lord on daemonic mount. In my magic phase i spirit leech his lord. I get 4 wounds and he somehow fails 3 of them with a 4+ ward. Goodbye chaos lord!

And there you go. The High Elves manage to win 950 to roughly 300. SO another 3 points to me. I also got the extra 500vps for killing his two most expensive units. He didnt manage to get his secret mission.

Next game against Goblins.