Hinge's MSU HE v. Woodies

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Hinge

Hinge's MSU HE v. Woodies

#1 Post by Hinge »

I had to drive my son to camp up in the mountains and decided to call fellow Bragging Rights Team champ, Justin to see if I could heading east and crash on his couch. A quick “yes and bring an army” was all I needed. It had been over a year since I played HE and this would be one of Justin’s first games with WE, so it would be interesting. Justin would also be practicing his Quake City Rumble list.

First my HE:

Loremaster, Book of Hoeth, ToP
Noble, BSB, Reaver Bow, Dragon Armor, Charmed Shield, Halberd, and Pot of St
Mage, L2, High Dispell Scroll, Khaine’s Ring of Fury

12 Archers, Std, Mus
11 Archers, Std, Mus
2x5 Reavers, Bow and spear
6 Silver Helms, FC, Shields
15 Phoenix Guard, FC, Razor Std
15 White Lions, FC BotWD
6 Dragon Princes, FC, Star Lance
Tiranoc Chariot
3 x Eagle Claw RBT
Great Eagle
5 Sisters of Averlorn

WE
Spell Weaver, L4, Death, Channeling Staff, ToP, Elven Steed, Long Bow
Spell Singer, L2, Heaven, Scroll, Opal Amulet, steed, Long Bow
Captain, BSB, Spear, shield, steed, Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom
Captain, spear, enchanted shield, Obsidian Lodestone, steed

2 x 10 Glade Guard, Mus, Std, Trueflight (GGT)
10 Glade Guard, Mus, Std, Hagbane tips (GGH)
10 Glade Guard, Mus, Std, Starfire Shafts (GGS)
5 Sisters of Thorn, Mus, Std, Lichbone
6 WildRiders, FC, shield, War Banner
10 Wildriders, FC, shield, Banenr of Swiftness
2x8 waywatchers

A word on his lores. My opponent had opted for the “Curse of the Clements” at QCR. This was offered to participants and consisted of the fella’s of the Rage Quit podcast randomly generating your lores for your list. My opponent certainly did well with Death on the L4 and Heavens is workable on the L2. I suspect he would have chosen Beasts on the L2 under normal circumstances.

Spells
HE Mage- Soul Quench, Hand of Glory
WE Death – Spirit Leach, Caress, Soul Blight, and Doom and Darkness
WE Heavens, Iceshard, Curse of the midnight wind

I felt the need to put the BSB in the Phoenix Guard to lend his re-roll to the archers, feeling they may be a prime target. The right hand Reavers are not really providing cover so much as getting with in IP distance of the general. I had a feeling I would be seeing lots of panic tests.

Wood Elfs will be going first.

Wood Elf Turn 1-

The left Waywatchers jump into the tower while the rest of the army adjusts its position. Magic is shut down but it costs my scroll to stop Doom and Darkness on the archers on the hill.
The Glade Captain gives the signal and the Wood elf army unleashes its first volleys of arrows. One of the Reaver units is destroyed, another is brought down to a single model. A bolt thrower and the Sisters unit are also destroyed out right, but the Ulthuan line holds firm. The way watchers take careful aim, and despite being hidden in the woods, 4 of the Dragon Princes are shot out of the saddle.

High Elf Turn 1

One of the elven archer regiments surges forward to try and rest the house from the opposing scouts. Defensive fire proves deadly and half the regiment is destroyed, the charge loses impetus and fails.
The Elven host surges forward in a vain attempt to pin the allusive elves down. The Elven Mage uses his family heirloom and the waywatchers in the tower were destroyed to a man! The Woodies gather there defenses and stop the rest of the spells (at the cost of their scroll). Ulthuan shooting pales in comparison to their cousins and only a few archers are destroyed.

Wood Elf Turn 2

The winds blow very lightly and the Spellweaver is able to curse the archers on the hill with Doom and Darkness. Now seeing the danger of the High Mage, every bow that can fire is ordered to target his body guard. The withering fire proves too much and they flee off the hill despite the nearby BSB. I rolled 6 twice but was outside of IP range! The sisters toss javelins to ensure the archers keep running. Elven armor proves to be stouter and casualties amongst the other regiments are light. The

High Elf Turn 2

The two remaining Dragon Princes spot an exposed flank of one of the archer regiments who wisely flee. The Princes then charge the archers in front of them, and there Dragon Armor proves its worth as the flaming shots bounce off their magical defenses (I had failed two armor saves). The Princes would fail their fear test but still win combat and runt the regiment down.

The BSB signals his Guard and they charge the house. A single Way Watcher is left to hold the house.

Disturbed by the nearby presence of the Wild Riders, the Silver Helms move cautiously forward (failed march test). The eagle moves to protect the rear of the Loremasters body guard, who stay cautiously away from the large Wild Rider unit.

The mages bodyguard runs off the table.

Magic is stopped. .

One of the RBT’s take careful aim and bring down 3 wild riders. The rest of the shooting drops the odd mounted elf.

Wood Elf turn 3

The Wild Riders charge the eagle, who shockingly not only survives but holds. The Sisters charge the remaining HE archer unit, defeat it but fail to catch it. The last waywatcher steps out of the building and takes down a Silver Helm. The Hagbane Regiment continues to flee and leaves the board.
Magic is stopped. And shooting proves to be light.

High Elf Turn 3

The chariot charges the Wildriders in the flank, killing 2. The survivor breaks and is run down, but the chariot is not paying attention and smashes into a tree killing itself. The Silver Helms spot the lone waywatcher, charge, kill him and get a good over run into the flank of an archer regiment.

I get a favorable Winds roll plus channel and get Iceshard off on one of the archer units and a medium fireball on the Sister leaving 2 and pulling the opal amulet. The RBT follows up and kills a Sister and puts a wound on the L2. The BSB takes careful aim and finishes off the Spell Singer, though the remaining Sister shrugs off the shot.

Wood Elf turn 4

The sisters charge a bolt thrower. The BSB charges the other and over runs off the table. Shield gets off on the remaining sister, finishing the bolt thrower before combat. A contest of wills between the Spell Weaver and the High Elf BSB proves Utlthuan discipline is too much. Shooting finishes off the eagle. The Wood Elf archers hold and turn towards the Silver Helms.

High Elf Turn 4

The Dragon Princes charge into the rear of the engaged archers, coming to the Silver Helms rescue. Another silver Helm falls but the archers are destroyed (with help of another Iceshard). The archers rally and reform into a tight formation. The BSB wisely decides he likes standing under the BotWD when there is a death mage around.

Wood elf turn 5

The BSB rejoins the Wild Rider unit. The remaining Wood Elf archer regiment fails a sift reform and is looking at the remains of two cavalry regiments licking their chops. I shrug off the snipe spells.

High Elf Turn 5

The Calvary regiments put their spurs and charge the remaining archer unit but only the Silver Helms get in.

It is my turn to fail a swift reform (re-rollable 9) and the Whit Lions are now facing off against the Wild Riders. The Phoenix Guard move into position to cover a potential swift withdrawal if need be. I Ice shard the archers and Fireball a couple more Wild Riders down despite the MR3.

Arrows bounce off the last Sisters armor? Wish I had AP like our hippie cousins.

Wood Elf Turn 6

The Sisters charge the archers, Shield of Thorns, which is still up ends up killing all 3. The Wild Riders charge the White Lions. I agonize on whether to double flee, with the risk being the Phoenix Guard panicking. I decide this is not a tourney game and decide to hold instead.

Magic, Curse is pushed through on the whitelions. I challenge with the White Lion champ, the Spell Weaver steps up and kills him ingloriously. 8 more white lions die. The BSB’s strike each other, each pushing a wound through. The Loremaster gets a wound on the other Glade Captain. Three Wild Riders remain.

High Elf 6

The Dragon Princes finally get to the archers and the two regiments Break and over run the unit.

I push Misama through, Lowering both WS and Init. This is huge as it counter acts the -1 to hit I have and takes away there re-rolls. The BSB and glade captain both are killed and the White Lions once again loose a good portion of their companions, but both regiments with draw in good order.

We call the victory for me at this point.

I feel there were several mistakes made by both of us, partially since we were both playing new armies. I will post my conclusions tomorrow.

Hinge
Last edited by Hinge on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=150][url=http://hingehammer.blogspot.com]Hinge Hammer Blog[/url][/size]

[url=http://www.rqgpodcast.com/]Rage Quit Gaming[/url]
NexS

Re: Hinge's MSU HE v. Woodies-Deployment

#2 Post by NexS »

Is the general consensus that a unit champion can take the star lance, despite the wording of "character"?
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Hinge

Re: Hinge's MSU HE v. Woodies-Deployment

#3 Post by Hinge »

NexS wrote:Is the general consensus that a unit champion can take the star lance, despite the wording of "character"?
Generally allowed in the tournaments in California. My alternate build if not allowed would be to add the Banner of Eternal Flame to the unit and the sword of might to the champ. Far to many ethereal units in our meta.

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: Hinge's MSU HE v. Woodies

#4 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Hinge,

I intended to post some comments on the deployment but you have added the whole report already! What a bloodbath! I really admire your resolve as this first turn shooting was devastating. I will come back with more comments for sure!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

Wow - both armies look so fragile/deadly.

Will look forward to comments...
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#6 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Hinge,

Thanks again for a very interesting battle report. Two Elven armies, both MSU but both with their distinct style. HE seem to be more combined arms while WE are of course bringing a lot of shooting.

Speaking about the lists I am wondering about Level 2 mage. There is no doubt he is very useful. He brings dispel scroll that is handy, his lore attribute can aid Phonix Guard quickly, High Magic has some very useful spells too and magic ring adds to already rich choice of magic missiles, something that is very useful against skirmishers hiding in various terrain. I am just wondering if his presence was due to this particular opponent or did you decide to bring him to your all-comers list?

Justin brought even more characters! While I perfectly understand Level 4 and BSB then to some extend level 2 then I am wondering if second noble is that necessary? What was Justin's plan for him?

40 long bows with nice selection of enchanted arrows provides a very versatile and dangerous shooting. It is further boosted by the fact that he has HoD and 16 waywatchers! It is deadly force for any MSU army for sure and as I have seen on a few occasions already, against many other enemies too.

I haven't seen many 10 strong Wild Riders units and Banner of Swiftness is a great addition. I know it is different than in many other lists but I also didn't expect so many characters and certainly not Level 4 with them. I understand that ItP has the advantage of not fleeing even if hurt badly. Something Sisters are not immune to. But again, what was the plan for the unit and associated characters?

Deployment

You both decided to spread respective armies. I can understand the temptation of having scouts in the buildings but I wonder (and I admit I make that comment with the benefit of the hindsight) if it was the best option to place Way Watchers as they are immediately in the range for charge. Something they have to avoid.

Looking at your own deployment I had an impression you simply want to get to the enemy as quickly as possible and that is why all the units are on the very edge of the deployment zone. However (again, supported by the knowledge of the consequences), I wonder about other possibilities.

First of all, you knew that WE have a better chance to get first turn so deploying in the immediate range for shooting was at least risky. You could do 2 things. Either deploy on 35.1" from any GG unit thus limiting their shooting in the first turn or shield the units with each other.

For example, PG could have deployed in 2 ranks and protect Sisters (maybe deploy them in the forest in between PG and WL too). Archers on the hill could provide similar cover to the eagle claw and DP the same for the repeater in the forest on the left flank.

I am surprised you moved reavers forward towards all these shooters. I think I would have withdrawn them to keep them alive and in protection of the heavy cavalry and/or forests. Or the other way around, move them as a shield and even deploy in column to cover as many units as possible. What do you think about these options?

The Game

T1 - Dreaded opening salvo took heavy toll. Btw, did arrow of Kurnous did something? But I am very impressed by the fact you didn't lose heart and simply seized the initiative! However, I wonder why didn't you use your shooting to kill wild riders instead?

T2 - The speed and maneuverability of Wild Riders is simply amazing, I am so jealous! :) It was a very good move by Justin to make your mage flee, I bet you were not happy he is out of range of the general and/or BSB. I am a little surprised as I did expect him to join PG.

It is also quite interesting to see that in turn 1 no less than 4 DP died while all the arrows afterwards didn't even scratch them despite all this AP.

I think Justin should have moved WW out of the building so well done on the charge and eliminating them with PG.

T3 - This turn looks like turning tide for you. It also shows the consequence of not moving big WR unit aggressively as it allowed PG to charge the building. If Justin moved WR so that they faced your elite infantry he would pose a bigger threat, especially with second unit behind your back. That may have resulted in some more cautious moves on your part as unsupported White Lions would probably die in one-on-one combat against WR.

T4 - It is still bloody battle and both armies exchange blows and eliminate units. I like how depleted heavy cavalry cooperates together and destroy yet another enemy archers.

T5 - I know it was a hard decision but do you think Justin should have charged with Wild Riders against the Lions? It is quite funny when under the pressure the unit still fails a re-rollable Ld test! :) It makes for a great story too!

T6 - How many Wild Riders were left in that unit before the charge? I am actually surprised they didn't kill entire unit. They have the re-rolls against WL and many attacks at S5 that is deadly for any elves. It also shows how fragile WE are, even with characters and that last Miasma was great equalizer!

It was an extremely interesting game and the one that shows that it is possible to beat the shooty WE too. I can't wait to read about your own conclusions after the game and maybe you can also add some comments from Justin about the lists and the game.

Thanks again for taking time to write the report and congratulations on the hard fought victory, in particular after that tough turn 1! =D>

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Hinge

#7 Post by Hinge »

SM-

Thank you for the comments. As I said, I feel both of us made mistakes, this is not a Bat Rep that is going to show great tactical acumen on my part!

List-

The list was not tailored but is the first step towards my all comers list. It is the same list I brought to the store last week hoping to get a game in with a random opponent. I expect I will be tweaking the list as I get more games in.

L2- With the above statement said, his inclusion is due to primarily to Wood Elves (though not this specific opponent), and also the profusion of elven armies in general. Soul Quench will be deadly to all the elven races and since I almost always try to win the “chaff” war as early as possible, having 2 of the spell seems worthwhile. Even other armies chaff is susceptible to it. I also feel it is useful in thinning the numbers of large blocks since my army can not win the long grind. I fell in love with High magic playing my Slann. While I understand that there is a big difference between a party Slann and a simple L2, not to mention the lore attribute for Lizards is awesome, I still like many of the spells. The chance for Arcane Unforging is worth it all by itself. I would say the inclusion of the L2 is a reaction to the changing meta.

As far as my opponents list, I think he was trying for a stronger combat element then the pure shooting/avoidance that is the more optimal Wood Elf build. Not that his list can not perform well in that manner. I think the inclusion of the second Glade Captain as for the MR to protect his fragile WildRiders from Magic Missiles (3++ ward v spells). Personally I think he should boost his Sisters, and use that as a wizard bunker, then go 3 units of 6 Wild Riders.

Deployment-

I made several mistakes on reflection. Since hindsight is always perfect, I will share what I was thinking when I deployed.

First- The Hill in the center. I was viewing this as more of an obstacle, cutting down on my lines of fire. It is the reason I put one of the bolt throwers on the hill and the other forward (though in a forest). Really all three should have been on the back table edge to keep them out of range. It would have been better to accept some limited fire lanes and shooting penalties to keep them alive. Additionally, I should have deployed the archers behind the hill for protection and moved them onto it the fist turn.

Second-General plan. When facing avoidance lists in the past, my inclination is to spread out and deploy infantry units wide to “Squeegee” the board. The threat of the 10 pack of Wild Riders really limited that idea, as I was not sure I could maintain steadfast in the face of that damage output. This led to a compromise that was wholly unsatisfactory. I still went wide with all my units but it was far too easy to shoot holes in the line and the Archers would not be able to fend off the Wild Riders anyways. I am not sure of the best way of keeping that fast cav from getting behind me.

Third-L2. I actually think he should have gone in the Phoenix guard. Soul Quench is fairly short range (18”) and I am likely going to need to move the mage forward to get him in range. Archers were a bad place for him.

Fourth-Sisters of Averlorn. Frankly, I wrote these off. There shorter range and the fact that trueflight takes away any tactic I could think of to make it tougher to shoot them made them sacrificial. I was just asking them to be shot at so other things would not be. However, on reflection I think putting them in the rear would have been better accepting the Wild Riders would get behind my infantry. They could then supplement the RBTs in shooting at the Wild Riders.

Fifth-Reavers. I agree they could have been used better. The Right unit should have been flipped behind my lines as a reserve. The left should have been moved in front of the Dragon Princes to provide hard cover. They would have benefited from soft cover from the Glade Guard unit as well for being in a forest. Perhaps this would have preserved more of the DP, though in the end, 2 were all I needed!

As far as my opponent. We alternate placing terrain and I purposely put both buildings down in the center hoping it would tempt the Way Watchers closer. I have observed a half dozen Wood elf games by different players and am surprised at how often Way Watchers are deployed forward. If I played them, I would take full advantage of their 30” range and have them deployed in my deployment zone. In this match up, it allowed me to hit them with Soul Quench. 30” back and there is no way I can get a first turn Soul Quench off. While buildings offer a strong position, they can also be a trap. We talked about this after the game. Also, placing units in forests may protect against my shooting, it does take the Glade Guards steadfast away, allowing small units to break them. This happened to the Starfire Guard.

On to the game.

That opening Salvo really did hurt and I thought that was going to go on the entire game. However, despite AP, I believe that Glade Guard will have a tough time with heavy armor. ST 3 AP is just not good enough; at least not without a T debuff to create more wounds. The only unit that could get good shots on the DP (once the WW were killed) were the Starfire Guard, and the 2+ ward came into play there. Way Watchers are the danger for Elven Cav. Targeting priority should be Way Watchers, Wild Riders, Glade Guard. If we can clear the Way Watchers quickly, the heavy cav can go hunt downt eh Glade Guard.

There were 5 wild Riders left, so shooting the entire game did deplete the unit. I did seem to have an ability to roll 2’s on the to wound roll with my Bolt throwers! Also, 4+ armor went a long way to protecting them from my archers. With 3 characters in the front rank and 2 of those characters could only target my characters (the last being the mage), there were just not enough attacks to destroy the White Lions. I ended the game with 2 left at the end of the game. As I stated, in a tourney game, this last turn likely plays out differently. With little shooting left on the board, I also should have thought about bailing the characters on the last turn before trying to swift reform.

This is why I think his build would be much better with the characters in a different unit and let the Wild Riders roam free. It did become clear that he did not want to engage the Phoenix Guard with the Wild Riders. In some ways, we were both groping for what our units could do against each other. It was obvious the White Lions would get massacred, but how would the PG do? Math says I take down 3-4 while he kills 6-7 on the charge. I hold on steadfast then it becomes a grind I win.

Finally, there were several things we forgot. One was the Arrow of Khornos. I forgot about my +1 to cast with High magic. The biggest was Justin forgot his Hail of Doom until late, when there were no solid targets in LoS. This should have been used much earlier. Clearly both of us need some practice with our armies.

Hinge

Edit

Well I have just been challenged for a match this Thursday by another Wood Elf player. This one is a very different army. Double Dragon and double treeman!

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#8 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Hinge!

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I actually disagree! You both showed that you tried to look for good moves during the game that was fought at a fast pace, in every corner of the battle field and with changing situation all the time. The casualties were heavy on both sides and that exchange of blows was amazing and made for a great report too! I understand you may not consider it the best game you have ever played but it was a good one, in particular when you had to recover after first turn onslaught.

Your comments on level 2 with High Magic are echoed by many players and I admit I often miss some of the spells HM offers. It is sometimes added that having the Loremaster and level 2 with more magic missiles is a little overkill but I think it offers even greater flexibility if you can afford it. Besides, you don't have to take Soul Quench, sometimes Drain Magic is way better option. You got me thinking about it again! :)

I am happy to hear Justin wanted to go for more combat orientated army. Your suggestion is more like what majority of WE armies I have seen so far take. Sisters for character bunker and that's it.

The reflection on mistakes is good but it is important to look at them in the context of the moment. That is also a good thing to have a report and to check what were the best options knowing what kind of consequences you could expect.

Good point on the hill but I have also observed (also in my own case) that hill is that temptation to be used as a base for war machines and other shooters. It has other uses, as a cover you have just mentioned, so it is good to reflect upon that and try to remember for later!

You still had more units than WE and maybe by spreading them you also forced your opponent to make a decision as where to focus his attention? He also spread his units and that cost him more than yourself! WR can be scary but I would be afraid of 3 smaller regiments more than one big and one small. You can always position the regiments so that if they are attacked and decimated WR overrun in the direction you choose. They are fast but still need one more turn to move to new position and as you have shown they can be shot at in the meantime.

I understand that it may be beneficial to sacrifice some regiments, as in this case, Sisters, so that other units are not attacked yet. But I would prefer the other option you considered, namely putting them as a shooting reserve to guard the rear against WR.

Interesting observation on WW and the way WE players tend to place them! Can be used against them indeed!

Hm, would you use your shooting to try and eliminate WW if you had the first turn despite all the penalties and the fact that you may have had better targets (at least in terms of efficiency of your shooting)? Magic missiles are your friend here and you had 4 of these to use! What about potential 1st turn charge against the building with PG?

I have noticed that players become over cautious with too many characters in their units. In fact, even single hero there becomes a liability of a kind as suddenly the cost of the unit is significantly higher and it becomes a risky business. I agree, 3 x 6 WR are great tool and expendable sometimes too. No wonder both of you were circling around trying to find a good opening in each others defenses.

I can't wait to see that game against dragons and treemen! It will be totally different type of a challenge! I keep fingers crossed!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Hinge

#9 Post by Hinge »

Thanks for the kind words. it is one of those things where I see the mistakes and not the things I did right!

With High Magic, there is also Hand of Glory, Walk, Arcane unforging that are all amazing. heck, even a Fiery Convo if I want to throw most of my dice through the L2 could be useful in some matchups. Its more then Soul Quench. I feel that Hand of Glory will give one of my shooting units a counter to Trueflight.

Redundancy is king in warhammer, and access to 4-5 MM will provide lots of options. I actually got a game in on UB last night against a Leadbelcher heavy Ogre list (it went badly for me) and my opponent had to make tough decisions in stopping the multiple 2d6 ST4 on his missle units or a small Searing Dooms on the Monstourous Cav unit. Its why I love the Loremaster!

I feel that the best WE builds will need the Wild Riders to clean up points, pure shooting/avoidance will lead to small wins. This is fine in those tournies with W/L/D but will suffer in 20-0 scoring.

The challenge I am having is effective cordination/deployment of my missle troops. My other three armies never had long range BS shooting. between LoS blocking terrain and trying to keep my own troops from obscuring targets, I have a feeling I will have a couple more painful lessons (like last night) until I develop a feel for this new army.

As far as targeting priorites, there has to be a balance between effectivenes of shooting and threat. If the Soul Quench was less succseful, say killing half the unit, then yes I would have shot into the house. It would have been short range. I really wanted to keep those DP alive and felt the only real threat was the Waywatchers.

Nicene

#10 Post by Nicene »

Thanks for the great batrep!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#11 Post by Ferny »

I keep wanting to go High for my Lv2 caddy (who usually sits with PG), but I'm so attached to Iceshards now...

However, I think the difficulty in choice is because we're stuck between a good option and another good option - the tragedy :lol: .

Nice report and great to see the breakdown from you and SM :).

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#12 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Hinge!

I guess that is also important. To assess the game so that you acknowledge the mistakes but also make a note on the things that you did right!

You really got me thinking about the level 2 with high magic. I wish the Loremaster had the 9th spell in his toolbox, signature from High Magic :) If I only had enough points and units to hide it!

I heard the same comment on the Dwellers podcast. That shooting/magic alone might not be enough to clear the table and that is why you need Wild Riders too. If they only be more varied (the WE armies that is!).

This is the reason why I don't feel good with many eagle claws. They are just too static. With other missile troops you can at least have them mobile and correct the positioning, change it according to the flow of battle. That is also why I like sea guard (although I miss Glittering Robes for that reason) as they move in and can either shoot or fight. With the new book Archers can perform similar role too, of course. In your case it is less of an option due to smaller units. If they were 15+ they can form small "anvils".

Practice makes perfect and with your in depth knowledge of many armies I am sure you will improve quickly anyway!

So, any chances for the report from that other game against WE? :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Hinge

#13 Post by Hinge »

It ended up going very well. I am not sure I can put a Bat Rep together since this weekend is all about working on Quake City Rumble loose ends.

In a nut shell, I kept the range open while threatening his landing zones. The bolt throwers were ace in chipping off wounds from the monsters (2 x dragons and 2 x Treeman). Eventually I got the Lord with the combined efforts of the Phoenix Guard and Dragon princes. One of the treeman went down to a Searing Doom. The PG found themselves double charged by the Twins Dragon and a Treeman. They held long enough to get my White Lions in position t charge and take down the second treeman (Wysan's makes it so much easier). By this time his 4 shooting units were dead due to the efforts of my Silver Helms and Archers. We called it at that point.

With out a counter to my magic, his list was in a tough position.

I will say that the special character for the Woodies, the twin sisters have an awsome shooting phase. We do not play SC very much but more and more tournamants seem to be letting them in. The Twins on the Eagle would be a very good take. Though GW really needs to get off its butt and clarify the rules for that SC.

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#14 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Hinge,

Congratulations! Taking on 2 dragons and 2 treemen is not easy so well done on the victory! =D> It would be great to have a full report but I totally understand that tournament has to be a priority now so I keep fingers crossed for the smooth run and lots of fun for everybody who attends or is in any way involved!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#15 Post by Ferny »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Hi Hinge,

Congratulations! Taking on 2 dragons and 2 treemen is not easy so well done on the victory! =D> It would be great to have a full report but I totally understand that tournament has to be a priority now so I keep fingers crossed for the smooth run and lots of fun for everybody who attends or is in any way involved!

Cheers!
Indeed - that's a report I'd love to see! Congratulations - the closest I came to that and I couldn't see answers and lost very badly, would love to learn how to handle it better :).