MSU takes 2nd in local tournament

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Delaqure

MSU takes 2nd in local tournament

#1 Post by Delaqure »

So, I played in a local tournament this last weekend with my new MSU style of army on protecting the shores of Ulthuan. I have never played an MSU style of army and I must say I enjoyed it immensely. The plethora of units makes for some very fun play. I did better than I have done in years quite frankly and the games were very close creating intense and fun games for myself and my opponents. I ended up taking 2nd place! Here is what I took and how well they did.
Archmage- 4th level Book of Hoeth and the 4+ ward amulet (the name escapes me for the moment)
He was a star in this tournament. I took High magic for a couple of reasons. I wanted the shield of Saphery for my Swordmasters and I am NOTORIOUS for rolling low on the winds of magic. I knew if my usual fare held out I could at least cast a few spells with the low casting values of the High Magic. Well my usual luck did hold out and I rolled typically low only rolling a 9 once in the entire tournament. Most of the rolls were 6 or less including a double 1. So with that happening I did appreciated the low rolls needed for the High Magic spells. I used Soul Quench, Walk Between Worlds and Hand of Glory quite a bit with an odd smattering of Drain Magic and in the last game Flames of the Phoenix. He did his job and added a LOT to the army. I was very pleased with his performance.

BSB- Dragon Armor, Halberd, Reaver bow and Potion of Strength. He was very meh, and not very impressive. He did his job though allowing re-rolls of failed tests now and then. In all honesty I forgot to shoot him most of the time, so his lack of performance was more my fault than his.

18 Archers with full command
18 Archers with full command
These guys were AWSOME. They did a number on a lot of things. With 36 shots on a unit at times, they were able to do wounds on some pretty tough units including chaos warriors and black orcs.

5 reavers with musician and bows
They did their job pretty well, dying when they needed to and totally gobbled up 5 orc and goblin warmachines.

5 silver helms
I used these guys instead of reavers just because I didn’t have more reavers. They did ok. I can’t really think of anything they did good or bad, so they must have been ok?

19 Swordmasters- full command with Banner of World Dragon
These guys were my anchor and while not strictly MSU I had a plan with them and stuck to it. They performed admirably killing off the giant unit of chaos warriors and killing off a unit of the nasty dark elf killy guys (sorry I don’t remember what they are called)

10 white lions
10 white lions
Again excellent units that performed very well. They helped kill the chaos warriors and were instrumental in getting rid of a hoard of savage orcs. I did lose them to some dark elf shooting.

5 Dragon Princes standard and banner of eternal flame
These guys were ok and did some nice work. They killed off a hell cannon and sent some goblins packing all by themselves after withstanding two fanatics.

3 Bolt Throwers
These things were actually VERY good. Combined with the shooting of the archers and sisters they helped a lot. I always combined shots when possible and it really made a difference. In my meta hoards are VERY popular and I have got to whittle them down to manageable size before dealing with them in h2h. They worked like a charm. They even killed the lone orc BSB.

5 Sisters of Avelorn
5 Sisters of Avelorn
I was surprised but I only lost one unit of these the whole tournament. People were just not afraid of them and pretty much left them alone. Being only units of five I wasn’t expecting them to do anything much but add to the other bows and so some extra killing with their S4. They did not face any regenerating units or monsters this tournament, but their high BS and S4 helped whittle those hoards down.

1 Eagle
Did what he needed to do.

1 Flamespyre
Ok this guy didn’t fit the MSU, but I LOVE my paint job and just wanted to take him. I wasn’t expecting a lot out of him other than to look pretty on the table and maybe help kill some smaller units. I was not disappointed. He helped kill the hell cannon, flew over some dark elves killing some with flame and killed a dark elf bolt thrower. He died to shooting from the orcs and flamed out.

I won’t write detailed battle reports, but I will share some highlights from the games. So stay tuned.
Delaqure

Re: MSU takes 2nd in local tournament

#2 Post by Delaqure »

Ooops sorry for my double post guys, computer issue. Moderators please delete this one. Thanks.