Battle brothers summary at GW

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

joeshipday

Battle brothers summary at GW

#1 Post by joeshipday »

Just a quick feedback from battle brothers

The event was largely successful with a great atmosphere and good mix of armies turning out. The only mistake from GW was to allow he monsters arcanium (whatever expansion it is) to be taken is special choices instead of rare (more on this later)

Our army high elves and dark elves (me and my friend are really the only fantasy players so options are limited)

loremaster powerstone - taken because I like the model but also because he can fight and cast magics and lets face it at 1000pts lvl2 is about all you will see. The sigs can be cast on 1-2 die for when me and my friend argue of them. Powerstone is for the opportune required spell. Lore of metal being the major possible nuke but a timely 1 diced boosted miama or top fireball/ shems is always there to save us.

24 archers (banner) imo best foot troop core, active in all turns and have the same str 3 attacks as the other options - see below why not elryion reavers. silver helms no mounted character to generate combat and you just don't get enough bodies without fully comitting

20 white lions - command our second combat block a nice mix of anvil (stubborn) and hammer S6

3 bolt throwers provide quality ranged

master dark Pegasus cloak of midnight 1+ armour lance - fast survivable hits hard with d3 wounds (which we kept forgetting) monster hunter

2 x 6 dark riders with x bows and shields fast core for redirecting charges

13 coldone knights command gleaming pendant - this unit hits like a train.

5 warlocks - second caster the magic missile is great and soul blight is amazing for a 9+ cast. Both spells or do-able on limited dice chances are we need neither, so dice wont be too stretched.

So the list was really balanced and performed admirably. After the tournament we decided there was no change we could think of without drastically changing the way it feels and plays.

Inidently the principals can be transferred to a pure highelf/ dark elf build and my friends darkelves at 2k resembles this list. Hence why I figured to post our matches and how we played
joeshipday

Re: Battle brothers summary at GW

#2 Post by joeshipday »

Ok so this is what I can remember from the event as much alcohol was consumed,

Game 1 - dwarf highelves

thane, 30 longbeards, 2 copters, flame cannon bsb
10 silverhems command, bsb, noble, 28 swordmasters command banner world dragon 2 eagles.

rulebook scenario - diagonal deployment with on a roll of a one for each unit its placed in reserve

not deployed 2 bolt throwers opponents - flame cannon noble

Highlights

we munched everything apart from the 2 combat blocks by turn 2 to the loss of the 2 fast cav units

mistake warlocks - we postioned them to protect the cold one flank but they got charged by dwarves, wiped and allowed to fight in the swordmaster coldone fight now happening. After some hot dice we lost 6 coldones and held. Witht he help of miasma and iceshards the following combat saw 15 swordmasters get munched to the loss of 2 coldones (down to 5) the swordmasters ran away and got cut down eventually by our hero. The dwarves finished the coldones off only to walk into 3 bolt throwers. and white lions to finish them.

result victory - 2200 ish - 400 ish

Game 2 - watch tower

lizardmen - lvl 2 skin priest - some skinks - bastilidon - 30 saurus block

dwarves - cannon - stone thrower - rune priest - another charcter - 20 long beards (started in the tower)- gyrocopter - bomber-

This game was entertaining at the end. We ignored the watch tower and pretty much shot the fast their stuff our fast stuff killed the war machines, the dwarf characters got to the building to help the longbeards, the coldones ranover the saurus with the help of the loremaster (again miasma and iceshards up).

bistilidon died to the darkelf hero even though we forgot his d3 wounds thing

The entertaining part was to get the watch tower the d'elf hero whitelions and loremaster charged the long beards twice over those 2 combats we killed them and routed the 2 dwarf characters. we surrounded these with our army in a cinematic fashion and then shot them off our board

victory - 2500ish - 450ish

game 3 blood and glory 2 lizardmen

3 bastilidon - 30 saurus - 30 sauraus - 2 skink priests - salamanders - skinks- hero on coldone -hero on foot

I remember this being a grind between the 60 saurus and COK and WL In the middle of the board with no one getting support elements inother than the odd miasma/ iceshards to keep the lions at ok numbers. Once our ranged and D'elf hero dealt with his magic defences we got a crucial magic phase on iceshards and bubbled soulblight to kill the general and remaining saurus for victory.
joeshipday

#3 Post by joeshipday »

game 4 - battle line

Oh god what the hell is that 2 k'wtf and a stank. The reason why the monsters Arcanum should be rare choices.

Tetto 'ekko k wtf 10 skinks 10 skins 10 skink cohorts 10 skink cohorts 6 camelaon skinks skink preist beasts

warrior priest 10 inner circle knights stank K'wtf

watch tower in the middle of the board provided 2 channels. COK WL 3 bolt throwers one side Master warlocks dark riders the other. Few they split the k'wtf up we have a shot at this.

So turn 1 nothing really happened I shot magicked everything I had into the k'wtf on the right to do one wound from a bolt thrower. we aggressively moved the dark elf forces to the right of the tower to threaten Tetto.

There turn oe they took the bait only moving forward with stank and k'wtf on our left the other used to guard tetto.

Turn 2 - COK charge the kdai on the left. Pull 2 wounds out of it get I hard back and hold. I use the power stone to pull 4 wounds out of the stak with the lore of metal. on the right the lord failed charged tetto unit warlocks faile o cast doombolt on the same unit.

Stank charges on the left and between it and kdai butcher the coldones. On the right the kdai charges the warlocks leaving tetto open and we flee.

Turn 3 - no damage from my ranged and magic to the k'dai (spirit leech was pretty much ali had due to a 3 dice phase which ofc I have to share) and now I have the kdai on the right closing in. warlocks rally and cant cast out due to having like 1 die but position to bait hold up the other k'dai. And we fail to charge tetto again

They charge left k'dai into white lions stank cant get there thank god. I hold courtesy of stubborn the right k'dai catches the warlocks oh man htat is coming my way quick.

Turn 4 - k'dai in the white lions failed its burning bright and roll a 3 on the d3 wounds thing so killed itself allowing the white lions and lore master to charge stank - wipes sweat from brow. Hero finally charges tetto with a possible over ran into some empire knights holding back. Lions pull more wounds out of the stank/ lord kills a few skinks and they hold/ bolt throwers single shot the knights flank and wipe them out to a man.

kdai fails the charge into the white lions ( I really need to finish the stank now and do in the following combat) lord challenges tetto and kills him skinks hold. I loose a bolt thrower to poison s buy this point 2 units of skinks and camos have finished the fast cav skirmish battle going on.

turn 5 sees the achers charge the skinks and win taking them otof reach of he k'dai and into the camos lord finishes tettos unit

kdai charges white lions and loremaster, fail terror to get eaten / ffs not even a chance of getting lucky. the priest charge the delf hero and savage beast went up. the delf hero melted.

turn 6 saw mopping up of straggling units on either side

result - 1500ish to us 1998 to them - nearly a turn around from looking likely to be tabled

k'dai in special is damn retarded considering the tools to deal with it outside of cannon are limited to 250pts.

game 6 - free win from a double dark elf list we tabled them by turn 3 there list was poor I am not mentioning it here

final result - 4 wins in 5 position 13/100
joeshipday

#4 Post by joeshipday »

Post tournament feelings

1) this list is very optimised to the way me and my friend play warhammer, and after discussion we wouldn't change it. I feel if you change anything you completely change its feel and how it plays. It is nice to know our ideas and concepts are largely competitive as a whole. In our standard lists its a very similar shape 2 block units with fast cav and ranged support. For example his normal list

pagausus hero
lvl 4 dark arts
20 sisters of slaughter
40 x bows
2 throwers
15 coldones
bsb
warlocks
dark riders

you can see the similarities

2) having the monster Arcanum is fine and it was cool seeing some of the monsters. My issue is the fact they were special choices hell if you mirror the empire half we faced it would be a fuckign nightmare 2 stanks 2 kdais and a block of knights each would not be a pretty fight. Or imagaine a double highelf list 2 kdais 2 frost hearts some cav and a wizard each (yes this would be legal)

Also having the monster arcanum as rare puts a sensible limit on the class of monster so at least then the monsters are killable for a 150 point ish hero which was most people source of consistent str6 and higher. I recon if I were running a standard 2k list I'd have more of a chance of taking the 2 kdais on as i'll be able to tool up charcters properly have my full arsanel of bolt throwers and such instead of compromising.

3) overall it was a great event and much fun was had and I'd recommend battle brothers to any one who is unsure.