Tournament Overview (Teclis Army)

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mist

Tournament Overview (Teclis Army)

#1 Post by Mist »

The tournament was uncomped.
List
Lords
Teclis (spells chosen and locked on the list for the whole tournament)
Savage beasts, fireball, Comet of Casandora, The Dwellers Below, Banishment, Glittering Robe, The Enfeebling Foe.
Hero
Mage, 2nd level, dispell scroll
Noble, eagle, star lance, charmed shield, dragonbane gem, potion of foolhardiness, great weapon, heavy armor, lion cloak.
Noble, BsB, Shield of merwyrm.
3 x 5 reavers all with muso, one with just bow and 2 with bow and spear.
30 x Sea Guard, full command, shields.
18 x Sword masters, full command, BotWD.
Frost Ph
Flame Ph
2 x Bolt throwers
2500 pts

Lists were graded A.B.C. A's would not play C's till the 2nd day, B's could play anybody, and C's could not play A's
Mine was scored a B. 2 day 5 game tournament.

Game one (standard game)
Rats.
His list (not his full list but will include all things of note)
Queek headtaker, 2 doom wheels, 2 warp lightning cannons, 2 large blocks of slaves, block of clan rats, 2 rat darts, engineer with doom rocket, 4th level gray sear, and a unit of storm vermin. Scored an A.

He skitter leaped his engineer (ultimate force) turn one and hit my swordmasters killing enough of them to make them combat ineffective (this unit also carried Teclis and my level 2). So I spent the rest of the game playing keep away and was glad to get a 10/10 draw. Nothing of note happened in this game.

Game 2 (standard deployment with Fortitude)
High Elf
Level 4 archamge with the book, Caradryan on Ashtari, BsB, 30 x seaguard, Ph Guard, 4 x bolt throwers, 10 sisters, 2 x eagles, 15 archers, and 5 dragoon princes. So a shooting heavy list.
He had the firepower and I had the movement.
From turn one he made it clear he was going after my swordmasters with all his shooting coming in and making a mess of things there. By turn 2 they were again combat ineffective. Cast comet in turn one around his seaguard and archer blocks. It did not come down till turn 5. My reavers and Phoenix's hunted the sisters and his bolt throwers. His dragon princes went into my eagle noble and got stuck there for the game. Teclis controlled both his own and my opponents magic phase. In turn 5 he broke my fortitude by killing my swordmasters with Caradryan (teclis and the 2nd level left this unit the phase before seeing what was coming) (which netted him 500 vp not the game) and I could have charged the seaguard and archers with both my phoenix's but with the comet not yet arrived I just could not bring myself to do it so just made a pass over with my flame. The comet then hit and did not quite enough damage to either unit to kill them outright. So a 15 to 5 loss. I don't know where this list scored but I would give it a B

Game 3
Empire
2 stanks, 3 great cannons, 1 hellblaster, master engineer, Arch Lector on a war alter, a light council, a unit of demies, a unit of halbards
and 2 units of 5 knights. Battle for the pass.
So after looking at the army arrayed on the field and having a cry in the corner the game started.
He had some bad luck with miss fires (but never killed himself) but when rolling that many times this is to be expected. I managed to make one unit of knights do nothing for the game by sending 2 units of reavers for it to play with and then getting one past it and into his back lines. My eagle prince (with savage beasts on him) and the frost got onto his demie unit after some softening up from a bolt thrower and then into his last unit of knights, the flame did a fly by on the halbards and then into the artie, and the sword master took out his arch lector with some help from teclis and savage beasts bubbled and the steam which was damaged earlier. There was also a monument in the middle worth an extra 200 pts which I claimed with the seaguard.
Victory 17-3
This was an A army
I had killed all his arty, his arch lector and the war alter, a unit of kinghts, a unit of demies, a steam tank.
He got one bolt thrower, my flame and a unit of reavers.
A night of drinking then followed till around midnight.

Day 2
After waking up at 5.30 (my room mate forgot to change his alarm) and then trying to go back to sleep (unsuccessfully) I decide to beat the living sh1t out of my roommate (lol).

Game 4 (Standard deployment watchtower, no one starts in the watchtower)
Chaos Nurgle army
Lord on foot, unit of warriors, hellcannon, juggers, large unit of marauders, festis, 2nd level mage, 2 x chariots and some dogs.
First turn I shoot a unit of reavers into one charoit and cause 3 W, the bolt throwers go into another and do 2. Seaguard fire into the marauders. He then blows up his hell cannon taking the 1 w chariot with him (rolled big on the range). My eagle noble and the frost get into the side of his warriors, the lord takes 2 w from the savage beasts noble and does 2 in return. In the next turn the swordmasters come in, the noble kills the lord and is is all over there. In turn 2 the bolts take out the other chariot, the reavers deal with the dogs, his Skull crushers only get my 2 bolts in turn 3, and his unit of marauders take out my seaguard. The swordmasters go into the watchtower getting me 500pts.
15 - 5 win List scored a B

Game 5 (standard game)
Empire
1 steam tank, 2 great cannons and a hellblaster, master engineer, warrior priest on horse, lord on horse, light council, great sword, archers (skirmishers) a unit of 10 knights and one of 5, demies.
Playing on table 3.
He goes the castle. Turn one I send in a comet and this makes him move. His turn one the comet comes down, Roll an 11 for range, takes out 2x 5 man archer units, puts some W on the larger one, takes out a few great swords, puts 2 W on the steam tank and kills a cannon. Hit the hellbalster as well but failed to W.
Turn 2 I cast enfeebling on the demies -2 str and follow it up with a dwellers on ultimate (teclis breaks his stalf) killing 2. The sword masters declare a charge on the demies (they declare 2 during the game both at 8's and fail every one). My chaff get into his castle and go to town on the warmachines but the game is called at the end of turn 4 and ends in a draw (the 10 min warning has gone).
Things were just about to get interesting, his steam tank was down to 3W and in hand to hand with the swordmasters (he charged into the side and was only able do beat me by 5 (held on a stub 10 reroll) then reformed on a 5 to face him. My reavers were about to hit his mage bunker (which had all 3 of his mages and 3 archers left) in the side. My frost was fleeing on 1 w but would have had a 10 reroll to come back and my flame was takeing an overrun from the knights in the side and his 1 remaining demie had a choice of being charged by a 30 man unit of sea guard with my Bsb or running of the board . Personally I think I had it if we got the next turn but it would have been close.
The list was a B.

Things to take from the tournament.
Teclis did not die once and I found breaking the staff for extra dice was more useful then miscasts due to spell selection. With the spells savage beasts was the stand out, dwellers was ok, comet was good but can be a double edged sword, spirit leach I only used once and got nothing form, glittering robe would have been useful but did not get it off, fire ball and banishment were good but not overwhelming.
Swordmasters hit like a tone of bricks but are soft
The level 2 should be a level 1
BSb was fine
Eagle noble was good
Seaguard are good
Reavers are great
Frost is great
Flame is great also.
Bolt throwers as always are hit and miss.
At the end of the day I finished 5th, tied for 4th but the other guy had 2 more battle points then me, 3rd place was 5 points ahead.
Vindicare

Re: Tournament Overview (Teclis Army)

#2 Post by Vindicare »

"2 stanks, 3 great cannons, 1 hellblaster, master engineer, Arch Lector on a war alter, a light council, a unit of demies, a unit of halbards
and 2 units of 5 knights. Battle for the pass." - I would curl up in fetus position if I had to play a list like that, and it pretty well describes why you need a comp system. I am surprised you won especially considering the Battle for the pass

How would you rate your Teclis overall? Thinking of trying him out
pk-ng

#3 Post by pk-ng »

Mist wrote:Game one (standard game)
Rats.
His list (not his full list but will include all things of note)
Queek headtaker, 2 doom wheels, 2 warp lightning cannons, 2 large blocks of slaves, block of clan rats, 2 rat darts, engineer with doom rocket, 4th level gray sear, and a unit of storm vermin. Scored an A.

He skitter leaped his engineer (ultimate force) turn one and hit my swordmasters killing enough of them to make them combat ineffective (this unit also carried Teclis and my level 2). So I spent the rest of the game playing keep away and was glad to get a 10/10 draw. Nothing of note happened in this game.
I don't get this....why? Doomrocket is a magical items therefore does magical attacks therefore you should have a 2++ against it.
Mist wrote: Game 2 (standard deployment with Fortitude)
High Elf
In turn 5 he broke my fortitude by killing my swordmasters with Caradryan (teclis and the 2nd level left this unit the phase before seeing what was coming) (which netted him 500 vp not the game).
Surprising as your SM has a 2++ against Caradryan on Ashtari. but then against you didn't have a big unit.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Iluvatar

#4 Post by Iluvatar »

That was a nice read, thanks! And congrats for the good result.
I have the same questions as pk-ng, about the Banner protecting you against those magical attacks.

I also wonder how you could have Savage Beasts make such a difference? It is indeed a good spell, but with 12' range, that would mean putting Teclis close to the enemy and thus at risk? Especially since you seemed to cast it on an Eagle noble, which has mobility as a major asset.
Mist

#5 Post by Mist »

I asked about the doom rocket, he looked it up in his army book and he said it was not magical.
When I got charged by Caradryan I was down to 3 swordmasters.
As for savage beasts, the best use was on the eagle noble, as Teclis was in the Swordmasters I don't have a problem with him being in the front lines, I did bubble the spell in the tournament and with his sword and ASF it makes it a perfect spell for him. The Eagle noble in many of the games was supporting the swordmasters by taking out threats with large armor save who got to close. I had enough units hunting chaff and war machines to use him in this roll.
I went into the tournament expecting to lose Teclis more the I kept him alive. To have him live through all my games (especialy considering he was killed in all my practice games leading up to the tournament) was a real shock. I thought that if I can keep him alive till turn 3 it would make it tough for my opp. Having him survive every game was like OMG. Teclis is always at risk with no save of his own to speak of, it is all about managing that risk.
Vindicare- I would rate teclis as still a great character, you can build an army around his spell choice, you just have to be prepared to lose him. As for the battle for the pass I think it was more a case of an A class army in the hands of a C class player. Anybody can read the internet.
Iluvatar

#6 Post by Iluvatar »

Mist wrote:I asked about the doom rocket, he looked it up in his army book and he said it was not magical.
Oh, OK. That's the thing about the Skaven army book: there are lots and lots of stuff that are badly written or referenced, thus it makes it hard to remember everything.
However, if you want a specific argument, the Doom Rocket is in the "Tools of Supremacy: Skaven Magic Items" chapter of the book, so it's clearly a magic item. And the FAQ (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/P ... EBOOK-.pdf), last paragraph of page 7, tells you that all attacks and shooting done by magical items are magical.
One thing to remember about Skaven is that the Banner of the World Dragon makes your unit almost immune to their ranged attacks, since all of them are magical (either from magic, magical items, or Warpsone weapons) - except slings (from gutter runners mostly).
Mist wrote:When I got charged by Caradryan I was down to 3 swordmasters.
It makes more sense when we know this. :)

And thanks for the answer about Savage Beasts of Horros and the Eagle Noble. I definitely should convert one some time!
pk-ng

#7 Post by pk-ng »

Iluvatar wrote:
Mist wrote:I asked about the doom rocket, he looked it up in his army book and he said it was not magical.
Oh, OK. That's the thing about the Skaven army book: there are lots and lots of stuff that are badly written or referenced, thus it makes it hard to remember everything.
However, if you want a specific argument, the Doom Rocket is in the "Tools of Supremacy: Skaven Magic Items" chapter of the book, so it's clearly a magic item. And the FAQ (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/P ... EBOOK-.pdf), last paragraph of page 7, tells you that all attacks and shooting done by magical items are magical.
One thing to remember about Skaven is that the Banner of the World Dragon makes your unit almost immune to their ranged attacks, since all of them are magical (either from magic, magical items, or Warpsone weapons) - except slings (from gutter runners mostly).
Mist wrote:When I got charged by Caradryan I was down to 3 swordmasters.
It makes more sense when we know this. :)

And thanks for the answer about Savage Beasts of Horros and the Eagle Noble. I definitely should convert one some time!
It's under the magical item section. Not had to miss that it's does magical attacks.....
Pretty much EVERYTHING in the skaven armybook is magical. apart from standard spears / sword / halberd etc you can safely assume anything else are magical.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support