Cëloril Le'fer's BatReps and stuff - Updated 2017-10-17

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Celoril Le'fer

Cëloril Le'fer's BatReps and stuff - Updated 2017-10-17

#1 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Greetings!

As it seems I will be making battle reports, however irregularly, I have decided to begin adding them to a single thread. This simply to make some sort of coherent track record of my progress. (I hope that is okay with the mods - if not I will make new topics when necessary.) The battle reports themselves will be located on my blog, but linkies to the appropriate post will appear here.

Thank you for reading! Comments are more than welcome!

Cëloril Le'fer

Warhammer 8th Edition
2014-02-16 MSU High Elves vs. Beastmen
2014-04-20 Triumph and Treachery: High Elves vs. Ogres vs. Daemons
2014-09-24 MSU High Elves vs. Undead Legions
2014-11-08 MSU High Elves vs. Orcs and Goblins
2015-03-08 Lothern SeaGuards 1600 points vs. Dark Elves

Warhammer 7th Edition
2017-09-15 2000 points High Elves vs. Beasts of Chaos
2017-10-17 2000 points High Elves vs. Beasts of Chaos

the Ninth Age
2016-07-25 1500 points High Elves vs. Dark Elves

Age of Sigmar
2015-09-04 High Elves vs. Beastmen
2016-03-20 High Elves vs. Beastmen
2016-11-09 Sylvaneth vs. Beastmen
2017-04-18 Sylvaneth vs. Tomb Kings
2017-04-23 Sylvaneth vs. Tomb Kings

Kings of War
2017-06-24 Elves vs. Twilight Kin - 1500 p
2017-09-03 Undead vs. Twilight Kin - 1000 p
2017-09-04 Undead vs. Twilight Kin - 1000 p
2017-09-20 Undead & Twilight Kin vs Dwarfs & Forces of Nature - 2x2000 p
2017-11-30 Elves vs Twilight Kin - 1500 p
2018-01-16 Elves vs Forces of Nature 1500 p

How to go old school?
2017-03-12 What does a 4th Ed-ish army look like?

Hi,

A battle report of me trying out MSU High Elves for the first time can be found here.

Enjoy!
Cëloril Le'fer
Last edited by Celoril Le'fer on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:40 am, edited 27 times in total.
[color=#FF4040]High Elves[/color]
[color=#800080]Skaven[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Vampire Counts[/color]
[color=#BF0040]Space[/color] [color=#FFBF00]Orks[/color]
[color=#008040]Rohan[/color]
[color=#008040]Dark[/color] [color=#FFBF00]Angels[/color]

Check out my [url=http://poisontail.wordpress.com/]hobby blog[/url]!
Ratvan

Re: 2400 pts MSU High Elves vs Beastmen

#2 Post by Ratvan »

A very god in depth write up
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=59241&p=857158#p857158/url]My MSU Battle Reports[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=60865/url]My Orcs and Goblins Thread[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62115&p=866549#p866549/url]Da Dok's Workshop - 40k Orks[/url]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#3 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Celoril Le'fer,

Thank you very much for your report! It is nice to see that MSU is appealing for other players and I hope you will enjoy the experiment! Thanks a lot for linking my topic too, very much appreciated!

I was wondering if it is just me or some settings of the browser or are your pictures are really that small? If they are, would it be possible to resize them to something bigger? I struggled to distinguish the units properly and I think you have very good quality ones so technically it should not be a problem.

I agree about scenarios. You mat feel the need to modify them sometimes but even played by the book they add nicely to the experience and in my opinion there is simply another dimension to explore. It pays off to pay attention to scenario rules while building armies. Adding a few banners may not be bad for regular games but if that helps in B&G then why not? In terms of Watchtower it is good to have something to occupy it as well as to assault it. Swordmasters are great at urban warfare. Also, sometimes it is good idea to not put any garrison even if you could. They may be charged by the powerful enemy and 12 Archers is too small of a unit to survive the charge of a dedicated assault regiment.

In terms of swift reforming into the building it is regarded as a bad sport and even banned at some tournaments. If you swift reform and then use normal move to enter the building - that is fine. But if you swift reform into single rank so that you can reach the building otherwise inaccessible, then it is not allowed.

The game went well for you and congratulations on the well deserved victory. You had a good defensive position and used the fact that you had some shooting to weaken the enemy. You also picked the fights well and used the fact that the opponent divided his forces to your advantage.

One thing I would have tried is to try and force the enemy to charge you through the water. They lose rank bonus and steadfast so that it is even easier to defeat them. You didn't need it here, as you showed nicely, but it is good to remember that option. Especially if the river turns out to be boiling water!

Good luck with your next games and I am looking forward to reading about your new exploits!

Cheers!

P.S. You have also mentioned some Empire player having successes with his army (I presume MSU style). Could you provide some links to his reports? Thanks!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Celoril Le'fer

#4 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

@Ratvan - Thank you!

@Swordmaster - So far so good! I will certainly try it out more. Considering how much inspiration I have gotten from your posts here, and how much I copied your list, it was no other way it could be - you had to be referenced. :) Thanks to you too.

Previously one has been able to click on the pictures to get to see them in larger size. Either I have messed up somewhere, or something has changed in the post editor. Now, however they are larger and one can click on them to get a better view. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yes, they should be defensive enough to stay around (if not else, then at least with Inspiring Presence and Hold Your Ground) until the unit that actually will hold it can come and grab it.

In my gaming group we have also intentionally ignored the swift reform-into-building-manoeuvre. Recently one of us speculated whether it would have some balancing effect. This would mainly mean that all army lists should contain a unit that can jump into the building from turn one. The question is intended to gather some views on this.

I had first intended to defend the river - a unit if swordmasters fighting an enemy without steadfast is in a good place. When the gor unit pressed forward and the Doombull stopped guarding the flank I saw an opportunity I could not refuse - I had to charge. Winning that charge also meant a very divided foe.

The Empire player I mentioned has posted his reports here. Although I must admit I seem to have oversold him. I apologise. His actual final position was "17th out of 120+ players". But very good nonetheless.

Thank you for reading!
Regards,

Cëloril Le'fer

Stormie

#5 Post by Stormie »

Good win! As Swordmaster mentions with the river I thought it might have affected things if the enemy units were bigger, but your forces seemed to be able to cut down the enemy in one go most the time, so that's okay :D

Next time (if) you face Slugstongue, you might want to start your Eagle character within a unit (since it's legal), that way he's not at risk of taking damage and dying before he can move. Not that it happened this time, bu best not risk it eh ;)
Celoril Le'fer

#6 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Thanks! :)

We usually play with closed lists in my gaming group, so I did not know until I had finished most of my deployment - basically only my BSB was left. I tried to check if I could roll for units and characters separately and then have the characters join units as/if opportunity permits. A hasty read through later I interpreted the deployment as "either roll for the group (char+unit) and deploy them together, or have the characters deploy by themselves".

I should have known to be careful as my opponent likes both Malagor and namely Slugtongue. But this way at least the game began with a good deal of suspense. :)

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#7 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi there!

Thanks for the update, now the pictures can be opened in big format that helps enormously! I am happy you found my own games inspirational, that is a great motivation to carry on and keep posting the reports!

I agree that if you saw the opportunity you should have taken it. It was just to remind, more to myself, that terrain is your friend when you are playing against big blocks.

Thanks for the link to Empire player topic. It is always good to see MSU players performing. I think he did great anyway. It is indeed harder to do so with MSU list as it is not that easy to achieve victories, especially big one. He didn't lose a game so it is a great thing in itself.

I need to read this report more carefully but some MSU armies do very well in the tournament scene. If you want more examples then check Hinge's accomplishments with WoC army. Second ranking player in Australia and 4th at Masters, Nick L., was using MSU daemons.

So fear not and keep practising! :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Stormie

#8 Post by Stormie »

Celoril Le'fer wrote: We usually play with closed lists in my gaming group, so I did not know until I had finished most of my deployment - basically only my BSB was left.
Seems like an odd way to play, do you both hide your armies behind a screen or under the table? If you snuck a peek at the models in his army would that be considered cheating? I don't mean to say it's the wrong way to play, I think the theory of fully-closed games is pretty neat, just seems very counter-intuitive and punishing to casual players, e.g. player 1 hides his army under a cloak, revealing each unit with a theatrical fluorish, player 2 just puts all his units in the middle of the table beforehand, so player 1 gets a massive advantage.
Celoril Le'fer

Re: Cëloril Le'fer's Battle Reports - Updated 2014-09-24

#9 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

A new Battle Report can be found here. Now I faced the Undead Legions led by Arkhan.

Thank you!

Cëloril Le'fer

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#10 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Celoril Le'fer,

Great to see you back! I am about to read the report but it may take some time to reply. Please, be patient!

At the same time, can you make link to the report more visible? That single word "here" looks very shy :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Celoril Le'fer

#11 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Hi Swordmaster!

Thank you! My appreciation for any comments does not have an expiry date. :)

Regards,
Cëloril

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#12 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Celoril Le'fer,

Finally got time to read your report! It is a very interesting one since it features Legion of Undead. I think on this forum only Jimmy had some games with/against them. However, he didn't use new Lore of Undeath and simply used his Tk army with new rules (to a great effect too!).

Your opponent seems to take advantage of the new rules in a different way. Arkhan is a great character for sure but he leads pure Tk army to the battle. However, it seems he is prepared to summon units typical to Vampire Counts entirely. I believe it may be the challenge to tackle big cats and Arkhan the more zombies start crawling out of the ground.

Also, the titan itself is a great conversion! =D>

Meeting Engagement is a tricky one. From one point of view you want to use the opportunity to be aggressive and maybe even get these 1st turn charges. On the other hand, if the opponent steals the initiative you may be in trouble due to being too close.

That river in the middle of the board is definitely a double edged sword because it can be used to a great effect against ranked regiments (something MSU wants!) but at the same time it slows you down and may have unpredictable effects if you use mysterious terrain rules too. However, it makes the whole game more interesting for sure!

That's quite a big unit of zombies! Could you remind me (I don't have the book) how many points that unit was worth? I remember that new spells have point values limit for summoned units/models. But I guess that is the great advantage of being able to summon zombies, they are dirt cheap.

I think Sphinxes could charge despite eagles. In particular right one against your chariots as it could pivot and move forward past the eagle ignoring 1" rule. If it was a good idea I don't know but when blocking large monsters like that you have to be careful. I also believe pivot is not considered as a wheel so it could potentially charge the heavy cavalry as well.

That summoning units is really annoying. :) He already has 2 more regiments that can be very troublesome!

Is it correct to assume (based on pictures) that the sphinxes could not see many of the units in between them?

Damn but that casket is dangerous! You let it go once and look what happened :(

nice one to take off Arkhan! You have mentioned he is not as tough as you thought. I remember he has a single profile and if I am correct T6 with many wounds. Does that mean he does not have much armor to speak about?

In general, I think your opponent did a decent work of limiting your movement options by summoning units but his move forward was not that well coordinated. His mistake with chariots was crucial as he lost the unit and the flank due to long and vulnerable formation.

At the same time you seemed to struggle a little with both river and the fact that it was not that easy to get to the flanks as you wanted. Your formation was nicely spread out but you could not overwhelm the flanks quickly enough. At the same time your opponent seemed to attack units as individual pieces rather than making sure his charges are going to create new opportunities to follow up.

This is not meant to be the criticism. I simply wonder if that was the case and if my observation is correct. It is surprising to find out it was a draw but I guess getting Arkhan eventually helped to obtain that result.

Thanks a lot for the report!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Celoril Le'fer

#13 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Thank you for your reply!
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Hi Celoril Le'fer,

Finally got time to read your report! It is a very interesting one since it features Legion of Undead. I think on this forum only Jimmy had some games with/against them. However, he didn't use new Lore of Undeath and simply used his Tk army with new rules (to a great effect too!).

Your opponent seems to take advantage of the new rules in a different way. Arkhan is a great character for sure but he leads pure Tk army to the battle. However, it seems he is prepared to summon units typical to Vampire Counts entirely. I believe it may be the challenge to tackle big cats and Arkhan the more zombies start crawling out of the ground.
Yes. those cats always get me on the back-foot.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Also, the titan itself is a great conversion! =D>
It indeed is!
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Meeting Engagement is a tricky one. From one point of view you want to use the opportunity to be aggressive and maybe even get these 1st turn charges. On the other hand, if the opponent steals the initiative you may be in trouble due to being too close.

That river in the middle of the board is definitely a double edged sword because it can be used to a great effect against ranked regiments (something MSU wants!) but at the same time it slows you down and may have unpredictable effects if you use mysterious terrain rules too. However, it makes the whole game more interesting for sure!
I have learned to like rivers! But as said, I was a bit split after deploymeny as I prioritized combat and shooting wrong. Yet, I am unsure if being more aggressive would have helped me.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote: That's quite a big unit of zombies! Could you remind me (I don't have the book) how many points that unit was worth? I remember that new spells have point values limit for summoned units/models. But I guess that is the great advantage of being able to summon zombies, they are dirt cheap.
A single zombie is only a third of our spearmen. So this unit was "200 points", as Arkhan doubles the summon points. I think actually he could have fit a few more, but those were at hand.

To get rid of that unit a lot of attention needs to be given it, especially with a MSU army.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote: I think Sphinxes could charge despite eagles. In particular right one against your chariots as it could pivot and move forward past the eagle ignoring 1" rule. If it was a good idea I don't know but when blocking large monsters like that you have to be careful. I also believe pivot is not considered as a wheel so it could potentially charge the heavy cavalry as well.
You are correct. Luckily I was saved a few times by failed redirect rolls in spite of Ld9 on the Sphinxeries.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:That summoning units is really annoying. :) He already has 2 more regiments that can be very troublesome!
Yes, and that's after I dispelled a few of the castings, and a few failed attempts!

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote: Is it correct to assume (based on pictures) that the sphinxes could not see many of the units in between them?
Yes. I should have taken a few more pictures, but this guy likes his games rather fast compared to what I am used to, so I tried to minimize my pictures.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Damn but that casket is dangerous! You let it go once and look what happened :(
I had expected him to cast a summoning with the dice left, but, instead he wraps up the magic phase and stores the dice.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:nice one to take off Arkhan! You have mentioned he is not as tough as you thought. I remember he has a single profile and if I am correct T6 with many wounds. Does that mean he does not have much armor to speak about?
When it all came around I think he sits on heavy armour. I am not absolutely certain, but I recall 5 ups saving him against my archers.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:In general, I think your opponent did a decent work of limiting your movement options by summoning units but his move forward was not that well coordinated. His mistake with chariots was crucial as he lost the unit and the flank due to long and vulnerable formation.
I agree. This guy has been playing for a long time, and often does tournaments (unlike me). He is very adept and intuitive. This actually combines to a bit of extra hardships as he plays against one beyond the table. I mean, the fast turns he does reduces my time to think significantly - other's play at a more leisurely pace. On the other hand I feel that this guy is also most likely to get his plans thwarted by large amounts of terrain.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:At the same time you seemed to struggle a little with both river and the fact that it was not that easy to get to the flanks as you wanted. Your formation was nicely spread out but you could not overwhelm the flanks quickly enough. At the same time your opponent seemed to attack units as individual pieces rather than making sure his charges are going to create new opportunities to follow up.

This is not meant to be the criticism. I simply wonder if that was the case and if my observation is correct. It is surprising to find out it was a draw but I guess getting Arkhan eventually helped to obtain that result.
This was, as said before, a result of being a bit torn about how I should counter the opposing army (and the solid state kitties). But your observation is absolutely right. I hope to get a rematch against this same army soon to clear things up. Still when I consider this game I am not unsure whether to engage fast or to take down Arkhan and then engage.

That Arkhan was 700+general points surely helped alot to maintain the draw.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Thanks a lot for the report!

Cheers!

Thank you for taking time to read and comment! I hope I get more of these up. In fact, the local dawi have also become inspired to try out a MSU Dwarf list. Sounds both nasty and not. I'll be following carefully in the shadows. :)

Cëloril Le'fer

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#14 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Celoril Le'fer,

Thanks for the replies! There is no need for more pictures as the ones you have provided so far are good. Of course, if there is time to take more just go for it! If in doubt I am going to ask as I did when was not sure about Sphinxes and what they could see.

Looking forward to reading more of your reports!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Celoril Le'fer

#15 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Thought I'd sneak in some evidence that I paint sometimes too. ;)

Cëloril Le'fer

Celoril Le'fer

Re: Cëloril Le'fer's Battle Reports - Updated 2014-11-08

#16 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Hi again!

Here's another battle report: MSU Elves against Orcs and Gobbos with two 100 strong gobbo units.

Any C&C is welcome!

Enjoy!
Cëloril Le'fer

Celoril Le'fer

Re: Cëloril Le'fer's Battle Reports - Updated 2014-11-08

#17 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Finally, there was time for another game. This time trying out Khaine magic at 1600 points with a Sea Guard list. Here you can find a brief battlereport.

Enjoy!

Cëloril Le'fer

Loriel

Re: Cëloril Le'fer's Battle Reports - Updated 2015-03-08

#18 Post by Loriel »

Nice to see same reports popping up here ;)

My comments will be little... well... not optimal since I don't own any end times stuff and to be honest I don't even know the rules for the magic exactly (well the all are loremasters, can cast same spell again, more power dices etc), but nevertheless I want to say something about the seaguard game ;)

Lists

First of all, how cool that you have so many old metal sisters, I never considered that they could be used as spearmen. Awesome.

Did you loremaster went to battle without any gear?
Did you include any command groups for seaguards?

I have always though core to be this mandatory "tax" to be paid and seldom over spend there. Do you feel that our core is something that can generally be overspended?

Deployment

- Did you consider placing your seaguard to little more left as the forest was going to give you -1 to hit? Or was your original idea to use the forest as Close combat defence?
- I personally try to deploy eagles to farter than 6 inches from my units to avoid early panic checks. Given that you were playing dawn attack you might not have much opportunity to choose ;) . Warlocks / level 4, can easily remove eagles and RBT do the last wound needed. One other way to protect them more especially if you are playing them defensively is to place them behind unit to give them hard cover against BS shooting.

turn 1

At first I was "How did you have harmonic convergence?" But then I remembered you were using the End Times rules... Loremaster that sick b*¤#"rd. He is allready really annoying to play due all the options, with 64 spells.... I would burst open. On side note that is so great spell with our great weapon elites ;) Excellent work on getting rid of the warlocks!

turn 2?
I kept spamming fireball on the Corsairs (a bonus to cast helps even out the two-level magic proficiency difference)
Hah, interesting "combo" from khaine rules. With khaine rules what happends if you 1 dice natural 1 or 2? can you still continue doing this? If you are not broken concentration with Book of Hoeth, you would be one hell of a flame thrower! [edit] Apparently judging from the last turns events casters can still break concentration.
He had a few means to get more dice, which hurt.

Do you mean sacrificial dagger?

Turn 3 or 4?
Victory is solid in the hands of the druchii. But he will leave no room for chance, and buffs up his units. But miscasts.
Cheers! magic is fickle indeed! This is one of the reason why Warhammer is great game. Semi chesslike, but still battle can turn around with blink of an eye!
The Kharybdis fails is Ld test as it sees its dear masters all succumb
Judging from the picture kharybdis wouldn't be dropped out of combat in magic face, but to be nudged to clip the corner of unit as explained in page 61 shrinking units and multiple fights, thus it wouldn't take any panic test from destroyed friendlies.

Secondy you probably played it right, but should the kharidbysa be left out of battle, the death of character inside a unit doesn't cause panic test, but death of those cold ones would... On curious side note, how an earth isn't that monster immune to psychology? What did Matt Ward think. Lets make this LD 6 monster that will be scared if some puny elven are destroyed nearby...

---------------
What really did the damage in this game was the magic. I kept spamming mostly fireballs – a boring approach, but it kept the pace
As I said before I would be pain in the ass to play against, as I would try to evaluate different spells ;)

Anyhow gz for the win!
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Celoril Le'fer

#19 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Yes, it is getting still here indeed. But that should be expected when 3/4 of all asur has fallen in the End Times, I suppose. Thank you for reading, Loriel, and of course your comments are welcome!

Lists

Just a couple of years ago I got the Maiden Guard. Back in 2004, when I started, I already was oogling them. When they disappeared I was disappointed. At some point, as my collection of Elves grew, I become more of a collector and it was time to get a unit of them. Love the minis! Armed with spear and bow I find they make natural Sea Guards, but Phoenix Guards are well proxied by them as well.

I was cutting corners here, and as such skipped the gear. He had a Talisman of Preservation and the Book of Hoeth - I think I've always had the same gear on him. (Time to try something new, I guess...)

Yes, they had both full command. Not necessary, I suppose. But in this kind of friendly games it seems more fluffy to have full commands.

I agree that most of the time (expect maybe in the case of cavalry armies), the core is best minimized. But if you're playing Sea Guard you gotta have them Sea Guards. In this case I wanted to have two units that could both have a presence on the table - just because of the theme. I also needed them to be large enough to get use of the spears, otherwise I'd be, rules wise, better off with archers. At the points this was the compromise I got to.

Deployment

I wanted to keep myself as far away from the Dark Elves as possible, he had been forced to deploy in the left corner mostly. The terrain was so dense that I would still be cramped up, so I, just as you figured, decided to try to use the forest defensively. I am not sure this was a good idea in the end, but getting a few volleys in was reassuring then...

The eagles panic tests I was confident with as we have the Valour of Ages (reroll some psych. tests) when fighting druchii. I thought that if I'd keep them in the middle I would soon have the opportunity to fly over his line, and he still had a lot of targets to choose from.

Turn 1

Yeah, he's awful good. But what to do with all those spells? I was, no am!, ashamed I cast like 66-75% of the time just the plain Fireball with all this to choose from. :(

Turn 2

I think you still need to cast over 2 on your magic dice? But now I am unsure of the wording? I went for rolling 2D6 most of the time, just to keep them burning!!! With BoH that's reliability.

Early he has the Warlock's death magic. (That could be really nasty with Khaine magic! :shock: ) But also power of Darkness is not bad. Is there another spell to get more magic as well in the Dark Magic lore? Still, with an average of +1 Power Dice when one dicing PoD, and a 2/3 chance to get it through... It was a hard call trying to stop him or to save dice for more dangerous dispels. I went for waiting.

Turn 3 or 4

This was actually turn 5 or 6. He took his time passing around the building on the left flank, and took no chances marching through the march with the CoKs.

It is fickle. And we laughed so hard when he blew himself up, and then in my turn I blew myself up (or just an ordinary miscast with only 1 wound left). If I only had taken out his bolt thrower as well, then not a single model would have been left on the table at the end of the game.

I think this is the right way? As it was casualties in the magic phase then he would not be nudged in? I need to check those rules. As we played it the Kharybdis fled when the Black Guard was slain in combat. But yeah, it should have had handlers. But its not all that bad now, it just needs babysitting...

Thank you for reading!

Loriel

#20 Post by Loriel »

Celoril Le'fer wrote: tests I was confident with as we have the Valour of Ages (reroll some psych. tests) when fighting druchii.
Hah I completely forgot our racial skill ;)
Celoril Le'fer wrote: Early he has the Warlock's death magic. (That could be really nasty with Khaine magic! :shock: ) But also power of Darkness
Those khaines. Again I was like he has soulblight it doesn't generate.... oh rats.... that unit is rather sick with all the sniping, doom and darknessin and purple sun funs.
Celoril Le'fer wrote: I think this is the right way? As it was casualties in the magic phase then he would not be nudged in? I need to check those rules. As we played it the Kharybdis fled when the Black Guard was slain in combat. But yeah, it should have had handlers. But its not all that bad now, it just needs babysitting...

Thank you for reading!
I rereaded. the actual wording suggest that if you are in close combat and are not in btb contact, then you nudge. But that section is inside close combat phase rules... Well my RAI is that the unit would get chance to nudge from casualties by magic / shooting. But I could understand if one would insist RAW here and argue it that since it is in close combat section those rules affect only to close combat phase...

Loriel

#21 Post by Loriel »

Celoril Le'fer

#22 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Alright, let's see what the world says. :)

I can't really say there was much effort at the time to find out the exact rules as the game had drawn out a bit as it usually does for us two. (And my opponent really is as kind as it gets.)

I need to take a look at the rulebook...

Celoril Le'fer

Re: Cëloril Le'fer's Battle Reports - Updated 2016-07-25

#23 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Wow, it's been a while. End times didn't go down too well in my group, but Age of Sigmar is getting there. During the weekend me and a Dark Elf "friend" tried out the Ninth Age at 1500 points - you can read the battle report here.

If you want to read a battle report or two of Age of Sigmar, here's one of when I played against caffeinated high-speed beastmen;
and another where we try to do AoS multiplayer style - Highborn Aelfs, Beastmen and Daemons.

Thanks for taking a look!

BR,

Cëloril

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#24 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for putting the reports up. They all read like they have been fun games. :)

The 9th Age game indeed reads a bit one-sided. It happens, in dice games. Sometimes even with the best effort you can't escape the dice gods. And stuff either blows up in your face the whole time or you only seem to roll 6's. The only thing you can really do about it is laugh in my experience. And remember to sacrifice a suitable model to the dice gods before the next game of course.

The AoS games read interesting. It looks very suited to bigger multiplayer games. Flexible rules and high game speed really work in such a setting I think. A multiplayer WH game can take forever. Which 'points' system did you use for the games? (for someone completely not familiar with AoS...)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Celoril Le'fer

#25 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

We did laugh hard when even in the last combat the commander and the hydra tested at ~Ld9 and both failed. :D The Dice Gods are indeed unreliable and their blessings fickle. I think my High Elves failed most of their fear tests the first *year* when I started, that was to the point it became expected. :)

In Age of Sigmar see a game that is very tunable to match a setting or an idea of a game (e.g. multiplayer). This was up until recently, before the coming of the General's Handbook, at the cost of matched play. But all those "these defenders are desperately holding of a band of raiders" or similar play out really well. I'd like to try dungeon crawler style, and maybe a cooperative zombie apocalypse thing for Halloween. The basic "Pitched Battle" get's old quick though.

For our games we tried the SDK points. It has weaknesses - especially accounting for abilities of models in addition to just the stats - but its a start, and none of our current AoS players are very cutthroat, so it works out alright. We'll be using General's Handbook from now on, however.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Cëloril

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#26 Post by Prince of Spires »

Celoril Le'fer wrote:For our games we tried the SDK points. It has weaknesses - especially accounting for abilities of models in addition to just the stats - but its a start, and none of our current AoS players are very cutthroat, so it works out alright. We'll be using General's Handbook from now on, however.
Any system has weaknesses in my experience. And as long as you all have the right approach they don't really matter too much. You should play a game how it's intended I believe. And AoS is intended as a loose, fun game and should definitely not be cutthroat. So it sounds like you have the right approach. I like the narrative possibilities it offers. The only downside is that I somehow rarely find the time to devise a narrative. I don't play wargames frequently enough.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Celoril Le'fer

#27 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Another Age of Sigmar Battle Report, now at 1000 points (Gen's HBook) Sylvaneth vs Beastmen.

https://poisontail.wordpress.com/2016/1 ... tlereport/

/Cëloril Le'fer

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Cëloril Le'fer's Battle Reports - Updated 2016-11-09

#28 Post by Prince of Spires »

Fun game. Thanks for sharing. :)

You've got some nice looking models in there. Can we get a close-up of your Durham model? I love that model. He alone would be enough to make me start a Sylvaneth army ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Celoril Le'fer

#29 Post by Celoril Le'fer »

Here's some for you!

https://poisontail.wordpress.com/2016/1 ... -showcase/

At that point he was still rather headless and swordless, but I just got that fixed. :) The base is still left tho -_-

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#30 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for those :) I love it (him?). It's a great model and you've done it justice. How did you do the sword? (I always have trouble painting swords and other weapons, they end up looking flat...)

Rod

Check out my plog