2500 v Warriors - Nicene's Sky Sloops

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

siovim

Re: Battle 5 (VC) - Nicene's MSU now with Loremaster

#31 Post by siovim »

in experience, losing levels on the Loremaster is the worst result for miscast.... if you roll 3 or up you have lost your near 300pts caster..
Stormie

#32 Post by Stormie »

Yeah, that's why I find it odd that some like the Earthing Rod on their Loremaster- since any miscast result of 2-4 and 10-12 is basically a disaster, the option for a re-roll that then gives you a 1/3 chance of another disaster seems like bad odds to me. It's not SO bad to lose his levels though, you may have lost his casting ability but he's still on the table!

And when did people start putting mid-season breaks into their battle reports, this is like the Walking Dead :P
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#33 Post by Ferny »

Stormie wrote: And when did people start putting mid-season breaks into their battle reports, this is like the Walking Dead :P
Lol =D>
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Nicene

#34 Post by Nicene »

siovim wrote:in experience, losing levels on the Loremaster is the worst result for miscast.... if you roll 3 or up you have lost your near 300pts caster..
Yep, I agree. I'm not really sure which is worse, on average, for Loremaster: Power Drain or Cascade. But both make me want to stick to 2 dice for anything but an extremely critical spell!

So, sorry for the delay in finishing; it takes a lot of time to write these up (though I'm getting much faster with Battle Chronicler. That beast has a bigger learning curve than c++). Let the walking dead continue!

VC 3:

a risky charge from the Vampire Lord pays off, as he now has a chance to smash through the elven underbelly!

Konrad chose this moment to let his mind wander, and so his zombies shuffled forward even more slowly and aimlessly than usual.

Fed up with this foolishness and tired of waiting for the foe, the Vampire Lord leaped forward across no-man's land, taking the fight to his foe. He crashed into the frail-looking bolt thrower on the elves' southern flank, seeking to cut across their backfield while his wall of zombie flesh slowly hemmed them in from the front.

On the north flank, more zombies pressed forward around the building, while the single necromancer and skeleton showed some remnants of their former humanity and opted to fall back behind the lines, licking their wounds and biding their time until they could replenish their forces.

The northernmost zombies chased away the harassing reavers there, who fled across the otherwise impassable Skull Temple to safety. The bolt thrower crew, well-versed in tactics such as this, were unperturbed and kept intrepidly loading and aiming their weapon.

Magic (11v6): a powerful Invocation from the wounded necromancer saw his flesh returned to some semblance of wholeness. Additionally, 8 zombies, 5 skeletons, and enough bats to replenish the damaged bat swarm rose to refill the ranks of the surrounding units. He began to feel a lot safer, especially since he was back behind the lines!

A second invocation, from the northern necromancer, was dispelled by Alexandra, however, even in her lessened state. The Vampire Lord seized the chance to finally summon a small unit of zombies directly in front of her! She reacted fast enough, however, to stop the deadly Rod of Flaming Death from being activated.

In shooting, the Vampire Lord used his screaming sword for a second time (after it had been so effective against the reavers), but it caused no damage to the Phoenix Guard, thanks in part to their Standard of Discipline and Alexandra's sturdy leadership.

The zombie dragon, reacting to the frenzied Vampire Lord upon it, did not even slow down, destroying the bolt thrower and crashing straight through the unwary swordmasters guarding it.

HE 3:

counterattack!

Alexandra was surprised and unbalanced by the speed and ferocity of the Vampire Lord's attack, not to mention distracted by the dead appearing within arm's reach! While the loremaster stepped forward to attack the zombies, Carmen, the veteran of many such situations, took the initiative and ordered a counterattack!

The dragon princes and phoenix charged into Konrad's unit, taking advantage of his momentary stupidity to trap the unit. The drakemaster stared down the crazed vampire, leveling his Star Lance at the fiend and searching for signs of weakness. He screamed out a challenge over the thunder of shod hooves. Could this be a trap?

Carmen herself led the charge on the overextended zombie unit, hoping to silence the Rod of Flaming Death before it could be used again. She ordered the skycutter and lion chariot to join her in the attack.

In all the confusion, the feinting reavers could not control their horses, who carried their riders dangerously close to the shoreline!

Elsewhere, the archers reformed their lines in anticipation of a charge from the Vampire Lord and his monstrous mount.

Magic (5v3): The adrenaline of battle helped calm Alexandra's nerves and she managed to summon a miasma upon the zombie dragon, slowing its movement for the upcoming maneuvers. However, she just wasn't her normal self, and though attempted to heal her wound with an injection of earthblood, the magic just wouldn't work right and her wound failed to knit. She shook her head in frustration and focused on the shambling foes in front of her.

Shooting was much reduced this time, but several ghouls were ripped apart by a few well-placed bolts from the warmachines on the hill.

In combat, Konrad accepted the drakemaster's challenge and stepped forward. However, this proved poor decision, as the enchanted lance pierced straight through his black heart and Konrad crumpled to the ground, an empty shell! In the midst of the combat, one single zombie, perhaps remembering a lifetime of former glory, was bold enough to stumble up to the phoenix and strike at it. Miraculously, his blow was true, wounding the magical beast! Many other zombies died to the combined assault, but the elves could not seem to completely break through the line, and the combat continued!

Alexandra and her cohort dispatched the zombies and ran forward past them as far as possible, seeking to escape the wrath of the vampire lord and rejoin her shock troops on the front lines.

Carmen was challenged by the necromancer holding the Rod of Death, and she aimed her lance straight through his throat. One foul pupil silenced. Meanwhile, the chariots slammed into the zombies with extreme ferocity, killing 11 of them outright and plenty more with the combined attacks of the elves and beasts drawing them. The zombie regiment evaporated in a poof of ash as Carmen and the lion chariot carried their momentum forward into the weakened skeletons! The Skycutter reformed but, due to a miscalculation, stayed within the charge arc of the ghouls! meant to avoid this, but their wings were getting stuck on the building and I failed to discuss this with Aaron. always discuss movement points like this!

The vampire lord smashed every last swordmaster (at the cost of a flesh wound to his mount), and his frenzy carried him ever forward, even when there were no more foes to fight! He momentarily left the battlefield entirely, before swinging his mount under control and facing back to seek more elves to murder.

VC 4:

The ghouls, sensing an opening, charged the skycutter and it was forced to flee! Swarms of bats fell upon the attacking elves, slowing their attacks and forcing them to fight on multiple flanks. The now gigantic zombie force in the north reformed to face the action.

The Lord reentered the battle and moved forward toward the fleeing chariot, hungry for more death.

Magic (6v4): Another well-placed Invocation, using all of the power available, swelled the ranks of the undead--7 zombies, 6 skeletons, and two ghouls joined the fray. Worse, the power of the corpse cart resonated with the magic, speeding up the attacks and movements of all of the forces in combat!

The Vampire Lord again unleashed a scream, channeling the power of his foul blade, but the skycutter, thanks to Alexandra's stalwart leadership, was unaffected!

In combat, Carmen's charge was stopped in its tracks by a lone skeletal champion. She hacked at it but was thrown off by its sudden burst of speed. She managed to destroy it, barely, and was unable to avoid a feeble strike in return, though the rusty blade glanced off her charmed shield. This time, the chariot was unable to build up much speed, and only one skeleton was smashed by the impact. Even the chariot was damaged by the swarming bats! Several more skeletons fell to the lions and the charioteers, but the effect was underwhelming and the skeletons remained relatively stable!

The phoenix and dragon princes, however, fared better, destroying the zombies completely (despite the handful that had arisen midcombat). The bats in that combat dissipated as well, and the cavalry and phoenix reformed to face the rear of the undead lines.

HE 4:

More charges! The dragon princes spurred forward to help finish the skeletons, the drakemaster calling out yet another challenge, which the necromancer was forced to accept. The phoenix meanwhile charged into the corpse cart.

The northern reavers finally slowed their mounts and brought them back around to face the battle, but by this time they were too far away and would need some time to get back to the battle.

The skycutter (I forgot he was fleeing as well, and aaron didn't catch it) hopped over the sphinx to fire upon the dragon from relative safety. Alexandra and the phoenix guard circled around to face the enemy general as well, hoping to cause some injury through magic, while the sisters marched forward at full speed. The swordmasters also prepared to flank the enemy, stepping forward out of the ghouls' line of sight.

Magic (6v5): Alexandra, heedless of her earlier mishap, took a lesson from the enemy necromancer and threw her caution to the wind, channeling all the available power into a single spell: Shem's Burning Gaze. She felt a twinge of panic as once again, the spell was irresistibly cast and a beam of light lanced into the heart of the enemy dragon, completely obliterating it! The Vampire Lord himself was caught in the blast, but he shrugged off the flames, clutching a small red gem that he wore on a necklace. This time, the backlash from the miscast was lesser, and a small explosion affected her bodyguards, one of whom was slain. A small price to pay for such a grand blow to the enemy! Alexandra reveled in the thrill of her new-found power.

The archers used this opportunity to unleash a hail of arrows at the now dragonless Vampire Lord, but few found their mark. Those that did proved that the enemy had almost no armor, and he was wounded once by an arrow and a second time by a small bolt from the repeaters on the hill. The Lord survived, but even with the increased vitality from a magic item he carried, he was barely able to walk.

In combat, nothing could stop the drakemaster as his Star Lance claimed yet another victim. (two underdog challenges for him!) Though one rider was somehow unhorsed by a skeletal attack, the rest of them returned to dust and the dragon princes continued their charge into the already-engaged corpse cart. Together with the phoenix, they dispatched it easily.

Seeing this, the Vampire Lord realized the battle was lost, and he retreated immediately, leaving his minions to cover his escape. He would create a new army, even stronger, and have his revenge. He had nothing but time.

High Elf Victory
This was a brutal victory in the Elves' favor. Everything just seemed to go very smoothly, with charges hitting home, attacks landing, and so forth. Most importantly (which we didn't realize until the swordmasters died), the frenzy from the screaming blade really hurt the Vampire's ability to score points, as he was forced to overrun rather than reform in my turn. Had he been able to charge Alexandra's unit on his turn 4 rather than overrunning off the board, the game could have been totally different! This was my first experience with the vicious downside of frenzy (Aaron's as well) and an extremely valuable lesson.

Elves lost:
5 reavers
5 swordmasters
1 bolt thrower

Undead lost:
10 wolves
25 zombies
25 zombies
25 skeletons
2 bat swarms
1 corpse cart
1 necromancer
1 necromancer
1 konrad

and surely the rest of the army could not hold out long.
Last edited by Nicene on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#35 Post by Ferny »

I love how crowded these bat rep images are! I was just thinking about this list - I like the larger archer units, although with an AM I'd be tempted to get min spears with discipline...but then it's 125 points for the pip of Ld...so maybe not.

I was about to say not sure about the chariots, but actually, in MSU, if you get say a unit of lions in cube holding up a charge, then next turn a chariot on each corner would be messy. But on balance, I think I'd rather have swordmasters (as you do) and more troops instead though...

Also intriguing to see the pheonix as he represents such a huge proportion of the army! But he's so goooood. I'm a bit wary just because the rest of the list is pretty cannon proof and he's a big old target, but he's clearly been working for you.

Looks like a lot of fun!

RE.Lee

#36 Post by RE.Lee »

Great battle reports! The battlefields look great with all those colourful monsters around and the terrain is crazy :) I really liked that Lego set (prison on a lagoon, was it?) - cool to see it reemerge in such a setting ;)

On the Loremaster - having followed a lot of the gaming blogs around here I've noticed that these do tend to have bad miscast rolls a lot. I'm glad its not only me, but still... ;)

Keep them coming!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Nicene

#37 Post by Nicene »

RE.Lee wrote:Great battle reports! The battlefields look great with all those colourful monsters around and the terrain is crazy :) I really liked that Lego set (prison on a lagoon, was it?) - cool to see it reemerge in such a setting ;)

On the Loremaster - having followed a lot of the gaming blogs around here I've noticed that these do tend to have bad miscast rolls a lot. I'm glad its not only me, but still... ;)

Keep them coming!
Glad you like the army look! It's certainly fun to make a list that includes all the fluffy "toys!" I keep pressuring my friends to keep on top of their painting (especially their big models) but you know how it is. . .

The Lego mat is Aaron's; I'll have to ask him what it was from. And yeah, why does the damn LM blow up so much? Frustrating.

Ferny wrote:I love how crowded these bat rep images are! I was just thinking about this list - I like the larger archer units, although with an AM I'd be tempted to get min spears with discipline...but then it's 125 points for the pip of Ld...so maybe not.

I was about to say not sure about the chariots, but actually, in MSU, if you get say a unit of lions in cube holding up a charge, then next turn a chariot on each corner would be messy. But on balance, I think I'd rather have swordmasters (as you do) and more troops instead though...

Also intriguing to see the pheonix as he represents such a huge proportion of the army! But he's so goooood. I'm a bit wary just because the rest of the list is pretty cannon proof and he's a big old target, but he's clearly been working for you.

Looks like a lot of fun!
Thanks for the feedback!

With the loremaster in the PG, I can grab the banner of discipline, so thankfully I'm not faced with the same dilemma as you. Leadership 10 is extremely important, I'm discovering, with rally and panic tests occuring with alarming frequency in my games! With so many small units, you'll have plenty of opportunities to roll 10s, I'm finding.

Also, I've often found that with my Archmage in archers, she was far away from where her LD was most needed. Now with my general in the PG, I think the centralized LD10 is really going to pay off.

Are you planning an Archmage for your MSU list? What lores are you considering?

Yes, the Phoenix is not an obvious choice in this MSU list, but I'm finding he's consistently a top performer and he can really help my small units with combo charges. This list is all about combo charges and the frost phoenix is pretty much the best weapon in the HE arsenal for that purpose.

He also brings so much versatility--he can anchor a flank against chaff, etc. Destroy ethereals. Threaten a big area of no-man's land and force the enemy's hand in movement. Str6-7 close combat attacks, is wounded on 6s by str5 troops; just tons of things that my army lacks. He fills a giant hole in the HE book and complements their other troops so well that I think he belongs in almost any combat-oriented list.

As far as cannon weakness, I haven't faced any cannons (some stone throwers, though, and so far they haven't been an issue) with the Phoenix so far. But if I were to rank my units in terms of cannon-temptation, I'd have to list them thus:

1. Eagle BSB --> 70 points per wound with only the charmed shield for defense. Honestly this very valuable character is underprotected and I should really drop either the bow or the potion for the Crown of Atrazar; against cannons I'd have to utilize terrain until the warmachines were eliminated.

2. Frost Phoenix --> 50 points per wound with a built-in ward save, and not as important to my army as the BSB.

3, 4. Chariots --> 25-30 points per wound with no defense against cannons.

5,6,7. Bolt Throwers --> 35 points per wound.

So basically there are a plethora of decent cannon targets on the field, so I'm not too worried about throwing one more in there with the Frost Phoenix. Against heavy shooting, my opponent will probably get the chance to eliminate a couple of these things, but it's up to him to determine what's the most threatening.

The chariots are consistently my top performers, particularly the skycutter (he's especially better now that I've dropped the bolt thrower); in fact, I'm thinking about a way to work a second skycutter in. If I dropped a unit of swords and a couple sisters, I could find the 95 points necessary. Alternatively, I could drop the Lion chariot down to a Tiranoc, which would free up half of the points for the Skycutter right there.

I think an MSU list like this might be the best place for HE chariots to shine (except for the Lion, which I think is just badly inferior to the Skycutter). A bit of shooting to help add to your ranged threat--my goal is to outshoot almost any army I might face, to force them to attack me so that I can countercharge. Then, flying movement to help fit in complicated multiple charges! These things are effortless to move and position, and their movement really helps the charges hit home. With 3 flying combat threats (none of them very powerful alone, but strong when combined), a DP unit, and a grounded chariot or two, there's a lot of damage potential and a lot of redundancy/versatility. And the flying chariot is really integral I think.

Finally, a question: I want to find a way to include the Ring of Fury. This could help add a lot of ranged threat, protect my PG bunker even more with the 3++ (assuming it's on the LM), and help out when the Loremaster fails a spell--effectively, it will allow me to 1-dice spells a bit more often without being terrified of failing early in the phase and wasting her dice.

I'm certain that it doesn't belong on the BSB, so where else would I put it? I expect the LM to be in 18" most of the time to use it, so it's good on her, but how would I switch up her items? Book of Hoeth is 100% mandatory for me, which leaves me a couple obvious options for my 20 remaining points:

1: Crown of Atrazar: The problem here is that I need the LM to be combat-capable to some extent--the PG will be seeing combat, almost for certain, and I need the LM to help out in that situation. Yes, I won't throw them in front of a full-strength enemy combat units (nothing I have can survive that, other than the Phoenix), but I expect them to be able to handle or at least tank weakened combat units or fast-moving threats. Hence the 4++ is pretty important.

2: Shield of the Merwyrm: This is a bit better, I think. It leaves me with no defense against death snipes, but I have LD 10 and a lot of shooting to help protect her. I would also lost out on her str6 attacks, unfortunately. I'm thinking her attacks will add a significant punch to the PG, so this isn't great news.

3: Enchanted Shield, Luckstone: Meh.

What about a Mage, level 1, with Ring of Fury and Dispel Scroll (135 points)? What would you drop to include this character, which might solve some problems for my list?

Thanks!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#38 Post by Ferny »

An excellent defence of the list, both chariots and phoenix. I think you're right - your list is sufficiently different to swordmasters (and mine now) that it operates really quite differently. I think I feel most comfortable with the type I've settled on (to start with anyway) but who knows how it might evolve.

Ld 10 - yes, I think it's probably close to essential, and I know SM found he missed it when it was lacking in one of the iterations of his lists. One of the great perks of MSU is access to so many 'superfluous' banner slots via special. With non-MSU I want BotWD for lions (or swords if you're that way inclined), razor on my PG and probably flame as a third on DP if you have them. With MSU BotWD and Razor are (probably) too expensive and the cheap loveliness of discipline, flame, gleaming etc become really viable (maybe even MR1 for PG?).

I think I prefer discipline in a lion block because they can go 3-wide and maintain stubborn, therefore can shield the loremaster from combat if you don't want to be directly in it. But based on one game...well, I can't really say much yet!

I agree though that AM is likely to want to stay further away from combat and thus you lose their bubble bonus which is a shame.

Currently I took the easy route with magic/general and copied SM's loremaster route (albeit like you, BoH is non-negotiable for me). An AM interests me but offers more challenges - the leadership/bunker being one, banner of discipline/spears/location being another. Lorewise I like the idea of light, but maybe metal helps cover some weaknesses in my list, celestial looks good, high has lots of potential and shadow could swing the necessary turns...so not sure, lots of options!

RE: ring...I think with an AM and no caddy it is essential. For the loremaster, with 4 magic missiles already, it's a little redundant, but the mage only has 4 spells in total, and depending on lore might have limited direct ranged threat potential anyway, making dispel selection easier. The ring might draw dice, offers concentration break back-up and a chance to 6-dice a must have spell - and for these reasons, despite being yet *another* MM, it is still useful for the loremaster. Ring and book still leaves 20pts of kit. Any of your three options look viable: crown, enchanted shield, luckstone/potion of speed (for high I opponents) or Merwyrm - like you say, Ld 10 is solid vs death.

RE: Lv1 mage - I think one of the big perks of the BoH and light protection route is that there's still space for the ring. The downside of course is no scroll. I thought a lot about that, and about no back up caster (which I feel is mitigated by the ring), and taking the Lv2 LM rather than Lv4. For me, I feel that in MSU there are less 'must stop' spells. Magic missiles are deadly, but can't target everything. Hexes/buffs only affect single units, which generally should be working in cohorts anyway. Big unit killer spells are castrated by such small, individually disposable units. So I reckon we can get away without a Lv4 and without a scroll. But your list is different! How are you finding the magic phase? Are you wishing you had a scroll or are you coping? If you're fine I'd suggest ditch the scroll and add the ring to your main user. If you need it, go for it, but I couldn't begin to suggest what to drop, your list is so different even reading your reports I don't have a strong enough understanding of how it gels together yet.

Nicene

#39 Post by Nicene »

I never find that I miss a dispel scroll enough to include a caddy--but if they were carrying Ring of Fury as well, it might be worth it. If only our unit champions could still carry magic items still!

How about a different loadout for the eagle BSB?

lance, dragon armor, longbow, Charmed Shield, Ring of Fury, Crown of Atrazar, Potion of Fools.

Saving 1 power die for Fury of Khaine each magic phase would give her a lot more ranged threat than Reaver Bow, which frankly isn't that incredible when you're generally hitting on 4s. Math says that against most targets you'll deal about three times the wounds with Ring, meaning forcing more panic tests, thinning down a horde, etc.

And 1 power die is not all that much! It might even cost you nothing in the case of Broken Concentration. Additionally, it allows her to march more freely to be exactly in the best position for both leadership and ranged threat. Finally, the ward stacks nicely with dragon armor for a suddenly respectable 5++. If she lands in a friendly unit for a turn the whole unit will benefit--not bad!

This build is also much more defensive against cannons and stone throwers, thanks to the Crown.

A final option would be Reaver Bow + Ring of Fury, but I feel this would only be appropriate with a BSB on foot.

10 lions as LM bunker
I don't think this unit is durable enough to act as a LM bunker. I believe you mentioned you'll be running at least one PG block? I think you should stick your LM in there in that case.

Firstly, you'll likely be matching lions up as sacrificial units more often due to their stubborn. No matter if half the unit or more dies, as long as you can take down some foes with you and secure a good countercharge. PG aren't as well suited for this purpose--better to throw them into a more evenly-matched combat in which your LM can actually participate.

Second, Lions are weak to magic missiles, war machines, screams, impact hits, fanatics, etc., while PG laugh this stuff off for the most part.

Third, positioning. I think of your Lions as anchoring a flank. Reavers etc. will be even farther out wide, but the Lions anchor the edges of your main combat array, and may also be serving as the vanguard force behind which your other units maneuver to counterattack. PG, however, are stronger in the center I think, which is where your LM wants to be to support his troops via magic and leadership.

Of course, maybe you mean that I should replace my PG with Lions for my LM bunker. This is an interesting idea, but I just feel that PG are strong enough to warrant their price tag. I also value their 4++ more than I value Lions' stubborn. As I mentioned before, any unit that is able to beat 10 Lions badly enough to require their stubborn is likely to simply allocate attacks at my LM and kill her outright. I don't want her in such combats! I'm also not really worried about holding vs. flank charges, etc. since I reasonably expect to control my enemy's movement better than that.

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#40 Post by Ferny »

I reckon if you're not missing the scroll then rock on without it, because your Lv1 caddy would essentially be a ring caddy with bonus scroll and costs IMO too much for that role in an MSU list. You have the slots available (with re-adjustment) on either of your two existing characters - I would use them. That said, it does affect them and I don't have much XP in balancing the risks they face.

Your proposed eagle BSB looks sound. I think (think!) I prefer the original - I like the PoS/reaver/lance combo a lot - offers threat in ranged or combat and option for two rounds of combat threat...but you're right that it is weak to cannons, but to a certain extent positioning is gonna be key. I get what you're saying about 4+ to hit with reaver, though you may well be in close range with 10" mvt - this might be quite match up dependent, varying according to your opponents ranged threat capacity. I guess it comes down to what meta you play in? FWIW I also dislike Reaver Ring combo.

Personally, that suggests to me ring on loremaster, with one of the loadouts we discussed earlier. I get that this means no 4++ (although 4++ parry is still an option, maybe coupled with dragonbane gem?), but it saves a lot of points on a back-up mage (I consider the ring to be a back-up caster of sorts on the cheap). What I don't know is whether you'd be comfortable with this reduced protection. I've tended to run my non-combat characters quite light on protective gear to save points, but I don't know how vulnerable that leaves them in MSU.

How set are you on the 4++ for loremaster? If you were willing to budge here I think it's the most obvious option (unless you're planning to cannon-proof your BSB anyway).

RE: lion bunker - based on my one game I can concur that lion bunkers are vulnerable as described, and there's a lot of sense in switching to PG bunker - this is something I might try. I don't reckon you need to change your list towards lions, I was talking more from the perspective of what I have gone for than what you've got in yours - it's that much harder to talk hypotheticals with a new army style and a different set-up!

Nicene

#41 Post by Nicene »

Ferny wrote:How set are you on the 4++ for loremaster? If you were willing to budge here I think it's the most obvious option (unless you're planning to cannon-proof your BSB anyway).
I think I'll try Shield of the Merwyrm.

So here's the list for my game tonight:

330 Lords
Loremaster – Book of Hoeth, Tormentor Sword, Shield of the Merwyrm, Ring of Fury: 330

221 Heroes
Noble – BSB, Dragon Armor, Lance, Charmed Shield, Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Eagle, Swiftsense: 221

630 Core
18 Archers - S+M: 200
5 Reavers - Add Bows, S+M: 115
5 Reavers - Add Bows, S+M: 115

735 Special
5 Swords: 65
5 Princes - C+S, Flaming, Star Lance: 205
10 Phoenix Guard - S+C, Discipline: 185
Lothern Skycutter: 95
Lion Chariot: 120

584 Rare
1 Frost Phoenix: 240
1 RBT: 70
1 Eagle: 50
6 sisters: 84

2500 points

And so my Loremaster will be named: Alexandra the Tormentor!
Last edited by Nicene on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

RE.Lee

Re: Battle 6 (WoC) - Nicene's MSU now with Loremaster (teaser)

#42 Post by RE.Lee »

Thats perhaps the most unusual HE list I've seen this edition! Go, Alexandra the Tormentor (Tormentris?)!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#43 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Nicene,

I am trying to find time to comment on your game(s) and very interesting discussion here but time is luxury so let me just say now I love the discussion you have with Ferny and I will do my best to join it soon!

In the meantime, please, continue as there are a lot of interesting topics already! =D>

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Nicene

#44 Post by Nicene »

HE vs. WoC

This is my first battle with Mark using this list, so we'll see how it goes! He brings something very different each time we fight, but there's always a block of Warriors on the field. This time there were -- 3 blocks! All but one of the gods were well represented, so Slaanesh, feeling left out, sent his Daemon Prince to oversee the battle personally.

WoC:

Daemon Prince - Level 4 Lore of Slaanesh, 1+ armor, 5++ ward, The Hunger.

Exalted BSB - stuff
Sorcerer of Nurgle - Level 2

18 Warriors - Nurgle, Halberds, Shields, FC
18 Warriors - Tzeench, Shields, FC
18 Warriors - Khorne, Halberds, FC

Warshrine of Tzeench
Hellcannon
Beast
Beast

Daemon Prince had Cacophonic Choir, Lash of Slaanesh, "Shards" or something, and 1 other spell.
Sorcerer had Rancid Visitations and Fleshy Abundance.

Alexandra once again memorized the signature spells of all 8 lores of battle magic and prepared her troops for battle.
The scenario was Blood and Glory, and both sides had plenty of flags, so we deployed and the battle was begun!

Deployment

We played that these towers and buildings were simply Impassable Terrain (and line of sight blockers). We thought it might be more fun with more stuff to maneuver around.

Alexandra's forces were deployed close to the Daemon Prince, but close was where she liked to be, so that she could look her foes in the eye. She was feeling recovered after her brief bout with insanity during her army's last engagement, and she felt confident that she could keep the winds of magic well controlled this time. The enemy were few but strong, and she prepared herself for a fight.
Last edited by Nicene on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicene

Re: Battle 6 (WoC) - Nicene's MSU now with Loremaster

#45 Post by Nicene »

Warriors of Chaos 1

all-out advance!

The warriors of each god were hell-bent on proving their respective masters' supremacy, and they tore across the field at full speed to be the first to reach their foes.

The Daemon Prince soared over the nearest building, landing directly in front of the haughty elven dragon princes. He would teach them the true meaning of the "Prince" moniker.

the hellcannon missed narrowly. the phoenix guard were not surprised, of course--they saw this coming

Magic (5v3): The nurgle sorcerer attempted to visit some rancidity onto the westernmost unit of archers, but it seems his mouth was too full of ooze and mucus to form the correct syllables and the spell fizzled. The Daemon Prince seized hold of the remaining winds of magic and tried to shape them into slaaneshi shards to strike down the nearest elves, but he too was unable to cast successfully, and the elves breathed a sigh of relief.

The hellcannon, as well, was unable to find its mark, and the elves, unscathed, readied their bows.

High Elf 1

early charges once again!

Alexandra saw the frenzied Khornate warriors streaking up the right flank, and she knew she needed to deal with the Daemon Prince on her flank quickly, before they had a chance to close. She deliberated for a brief moment (about 5 minutes of thinking and measuring) before issuing the orders the dragon princes were waiting to hear: Charge! And so the princes spurred their horses toward the Daemon Prince, lowering their lances, while the lions pulling the chariot surged forward, stretching the reins almost to breaking. The distance was short, but the well-trained elves would have no trouble reaching deadly speed before impact.

An eagle covered them from a flank by the warriors, as the skycutter, the phoenix, and Carmen on her eagle readied themselves to charge whatever target was open in the following turn. Meanwhile, far to the west, the reavers and archers aimed to harass and slow the enemy advance long enough for the elites on the east to destroy their opponents and sweep across the map.

the Daemon Prince laughed off these pitiful attacks

Magic (6v4): Alexandra used her knowledge of bestial magic to boost the strength of the dragon princes. Now the star lance would be hitting at terrifying strength, hopefully enough to heavily wound the Daemon Prince! An icy blizzard on the Daemon Prince was dispelled with a scroll, and her attempt to fire her Ring of Fury at the Khorne Warriors failed.

In shooting, many arrows found their mark to the west, and the Nurgle warriors were badly damaged. They refused to halt their grim march, however. On the east, a few Khorne warriors fell to Carmen's Reaver Bow, and the beast behind the building was picked off by the keen-eyed bolt thrower crew.

In combat, the chariot struck home with ferocity, inflicting 6 impact hits! However, none seemed able to penetrate the Daemon Prince's armor! He then screamed out a challenge, but the dragon prince champion ignored him as he and his cohort aimed their lances straight as his dark heart. The Daemon was too agile, however, and none of the drakemaster's attacks hit home! Several other lance blows fell, but none proved true enough to wound the thing. The lion charioteers and lions themselves also struck, but nothing could hurt him!

In return, the Daemon Prince swung with a flurry of attacks and reduced the chariot to splinters and elf blood. The lions were barely able to escape with only eight of their cat lives remaining! The dragon princes were shocked at this brutality, but they gritted their teeth, accepted the futility of the situation, drew their ornate sidearms, and prepared to hold long enough for help to arrive.

WoC 2

The Khorne warriors, brandishing their halberds furiously, charged at the eagle and visualized in their minds what it would be like to sink their steel into the phoenix soaring in the distance. They would have their chance soon, but first they had to eliminate this little nuisance.

On the west flank, the reavers retreated in good order, slowing down the tzeench warriors' advance somewhat while the archers prepared their next volley, relatively safe beyond their wall (a blazing barricade).

Magic (3v2): The Nurgle sorcerer had just enough power to attempt Rancid Visitations once again, and this time he chanted correctly. The western archers were not tough enough to resist, and 7 of them were dissolved as their flesh rotted to goo. The rest, though, stood their ground.

The hellcannon struck home this time, killing half of Alexandra's escort! She managed to maintain order within the ranks.

The eagle was dispatched quickly, and the Khorne warriors continued their charge forward, barely even slowing down as they trampled its corpse. Meanwhile, the drakemaster, atoning for his earlier failure, stepped in front of his comrades and pointed his blade at the Daemon Prince, hoping to buy his allies time with his life. He was struck down contemptuously--would it be enough?

HE 2

Alexandra ordered the right flank into action, and the phoenix, skycutter, ellyrian reavers, and alexandra's unit all executed perfect charge maneuvers into the overextended warriors. Their frenzied faces did not even register shock as the combined might of Asur slammed into their ranks. They simply screamed oaths to Khorne and continued flailing their halberds with deadly abandon.

On the west, the reavers rallied and moved behind the tzeench warriors. But they did not realize this put them in danger from the nearby randomly-moving beast! Would they escape its wrath?

to battle! Or was it overkill?

Magic (9v6): Alexandra, readying her Tormentor Sword, did not let her foes' bloodlust seep into her own consciousness, but rather maintained a calm composure as she first prepared the spells that would turn this into a one-sided rout. First, to slow down the Daemon Prince, she encased him in a freezing blizzard. Next, she attempted a similar miasma onto the Khorne warriors before her, but this was dispelled. Next, she protected the rear-charging Reavers with a bestial wildform.

Finally, she used just a tiny amount of power to enter into a mental battle with the raging hellcannon in the distance. Even this small amount of power was somehow too much, however, and even as the spell was cast she knew something had gone terribly wrong once again! The mental battle continued for what seemed an eternity but ultimately ended in a stalemate as as the foe was stronger then she expected, and the magical backlash--a dimensional cascade--struck immediately after! The chaos gods' reach must have extended especially far over this battle, with so many of their minions on the field, and Alexandra could not resist their call as she was sucked into a spiraling vortex into the realm beyond! The explosion also damaged the flying chariot melted a few chaos warriors, and Khorne cackled with glee.

The shooting regiments to the west were not yet aware of their general's demise, and they continued firing with deadly accuracy as more Nurgle warriors fell before they could reach the lines of the Asur. Very few were now in range to attack the swordmasters manning the westernmost wall section.

In combat, the slowed Daemon Prince could not inflict much damage, and two dragon princes still remained, locking him in combat. Nearby, shouts and crashes could be heard as the skycutter spearheaded the charge into the Khorne warriors, killed a few instantly. The rest of the elves followed and less than a full rank remained to even strike back. They managed a wound here and there, but they all perished when the phoenix finally crushed them beneath his frozen claws. (we forgot to factor in the reavers' toughness here, as well as the blizzard aura, which is how so many elves died. If we'd played it correctly, only 2 warriors would have survived to attack at all. I need to remember special rules, especially this one!)

With all the warriors dead, the high elves reformed to face the Daemon Prince and Carmen withdrew the strength potion from her belt, uncorking the bottle even as she balanced on the eagle's back. Only the skycutter faced west, preparing to meet the charge of the Tzeench warshrine which was closing quickly on the battle.

WoC 3

photo missing for this turn!

The depleted Nurgle warriors, eager to escape the hail of arrows, charged forward into the waiting swordmasters, while the nearly full-strength Tzeench warriors charged into the depleted archers, shrugging off the return fire on their way in. The beast spun on the spot and charged into the alarmed reavers behind them, who had no time to flee! The warshrine charged the skycutter, which held to protect Carmen's flank.

Magic (5v3): The Daemon Prince, seeing his chance, unleashed all of the available power at a massive Cacophonic Choir! He focused intently but was not able to muster nearly enough power to complete the spell.

The hellcannon found its mark once again, but all 5 of the phoenix guard were expecting the attack and effortlessly avoided it.

In combat, the swordmasters cut the remaining Nurgle warriors to ribbons, and only the sorcerer remained! Nearby, all the western archers fell quickly, and the Tzeench warriors reformed to face the next batch. On the east flank, the Daemon Prince struggled against the ice still seeping through his armor and was unable to land any telling blows against the two remaining horsemen. His flank was open to attack! The Tzeench warshrine, meanwhile, damaged the skycutter enough to force it to withdraw. The eagle was unable to flap hard enough for the complicated maneuver, however, and the warshrine simply crashed right through it!
Last edited by Nicene on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nicene

#46 Post by Nicene »

HE 3

Carmen allowed a measured quantity of battle lust to flow through her as she finished gulping her strength potion and lowered her lance toward the embattled Demon Prince. She snapped her fingers and the Phoenix joined her. To hell with the rest of the battle; let the fools fend for themselves. She wanted Slaaneshi blood.

The surviving archers attempted to march forward, out of the charge threat from the Tzeench warriors, but they couldn't organize themselves fast enough and were forced to fall back a few steps instead! Now they were in bad danger!

Magical winds blew, and Carmen felt them with her elven senses, but she had no use for them.

Elsewhere, arrows fell amongst the chaos troops, and a few warriors were slain, but the real battle was before her.

As her charge hit home, her enemy screamed out another challenge, and the dragon princes fell back to allow her room to fight. The Daemon Prince's movements were slowed and weakened by the phoenix's freezing winds, and the Slaaneshi monster finally flinched as her lance pierced through his shoulder, but Carmen could see it was not enough. Indeed, he struck back, and she was not fast enough to avoid all of the blows!

On the west, the swordmasters, with the help of the friendly sisters of avelorn, finished off the chaos sorcerer and they reformed to face the final group of warriors.

WoC 4

The Tzeench warriors, stronger than their fragile kin, continued their inexorable march toward the heart of the elven lines, and the archers were forced to fell back. The warriors turned their eyes toward the swordmasters to the east, and they too retreated. However, their flight put them in the path of the Tzeench warshrine, and they were forced to flee from it as well! They could not move fast enough from all these threats, and they were caught and smashed beneath the weight of the shrinebearers.

Meanwhile, the remaining beast, nearly dead from recent shooting, charged the annoying reavers once again, gnashing its teeth.

Magic (7v6): The Daemon Prince once again twisted as much magical wind as he can manage into a choir of cacophony, and this time he nearly managed it! The next time would almost certainly succeed!

In shooting, the hellcannon again proved deadly accurate and a flaming boulder smashed into the two remaining phoenix guard. Once again, they both deftly sidestepped it.

In combat, the reavers had had time to learn the beast's movements, and it was unable to hurt them. They held out for help from the phoenix guard.

Carmen was out of options as, try as she might, she just could not figure out how to fight the Daemon Prince! He seemed made out of diamond. In return, she was wounded again and knew she could not last long.

HE 4
the last stand of the archers! no photo

The phoenix guard charged into the flank of the beast, and the archers rallied, with nowhere left to run.

Several more Tzeench warriors fell to the bolt throwers and the sisters, but they shrugged off the losses and continued to close in on their prey.

In combat, Carmen was struck down and the Demon Prince turned his attention to the phoenix, wondering what color this thing bled.

WoC 5

everything came crashing down on the elves

The Tzeench warriors, still with plenty of healthy bodies, charged into the archers alongside the shrine to the their twisted god.

Meanwhile, the hellcannon, anxious for some fun, charged into the phoenix guard, having given up on shooting them and opting to see how well they could dodge in close combat! (I held with them deliberately, just for fun I suppose. I had been taunting Mark into charging and he accepted, so I couldn't very well back down!)

ruh roh!

Magic (8v6): The Cacophonic Choir finally echoed across the battlefield, and any elves caught in the blast suffered terribly! only one dragon prince fell from his saddle, but the phoenix was nearly destroyed outright, and it barely clung to life. Some nearby reavers caught in the sonic wave were ripped apart as well.

Combat saw the archers survive but, unable to hold the line without support, they were forced to withdraw to safety. The phoenix, however, despite the horrendous injury suffered moments before, fought ferociously, tearing off the Daemon Prince's arm, the ligaments of which Carmen had already severed. The Slaaneshi Prince was now visibly damaged and was unable to fight back with full force, though he did slay the final dragon prince. The fight would continue another round!

HE 5 (final round)

parting shots

Some more Tzeench warriors died to shooting, and the unit was looking much smaller. Still, they were intact! Even another round of shooting would surely not be enough to finish them.

Everything came down to the duel between the phoenix and the Daemon Prince. The phoenix, with its movements still slowed by the reverberations of the Cacophonic Choir, managed to fight through the pain and, thanks to bolstered strength from the still-blowing winds of magic, dealt two terrific blows to his daemonic foe! The thing was mortally wounded but, as it fell to the earth screaming, it lashed out with a mighty swipe and snapped the phoenix's neck! Both combatants collapsed in a pile and the battlefield fell eerily silent.

The only sound was the arrhythmic beat of the remaining Tzeench warriors' boots in the earth as they carried the captured elven flags and standards back north to the chaos wastes.

Result: Chaos Victory! I actually lost the Choir killed my dragon princes and reavers, as this left me with only 2 standards (archers, reavers) still alive. We kept playing, however, and I did manage to break him back when his general died. I did a lot of damage to the Warriors this game, but not enough! In the end, he had about 800-900 points still on the field, while I had only about 500.

Nicene

#47 Post by Nicene »

After-Battle Thoughts:
Well, I have a lot of these! I see a lot of mistakes that I made!

First, I need to grumble about the miscast -- this is the second game in a row against Mark that my general has gotten chaos portal on 2 dice. Seriously? How? And this is right after I spent all night calculating the probability of this occuring (in Swordmaster's thread) in my defense of Book of Hoeth over Earthing Rod on the Loremaster! Poetic justice, I suppose. Look, two dice is responsible casting, isn't it? I was casting the long range version of Spirit Leech, by the way. I had two dice left and nothing good left to cast, so it made perfect sense to me. Question: for Spirit Leech, do you use LD10 (from banner of discipline) for LD9?

My first turn charge against the Demon Prince -- would you have done this? I hate first-turn charges, and they are certainly not the purpose of my list, but I made the decision here and it did NOT pay off. Looking back, it was a bad idea. I learned from the battle how effective the Phoenix is against a str6 Daemon Prince. With higher str and toughness, plus its bonuses from the winds of magic and some buffs from the Loremaster, it's very likely to win or at least hold the DP up for a long time while I clean up the rest! Another option would have been shooting -- with three bolt throwers, Carmen's shooting, and Shem's Burning gaze, my list had all the tools to deal with this monster without risking combat while he was at full strength. Instead, I threw away two of my best attacking units in a fight they could not win.

In my defense, math said I should get a wound or two in that charge, especially with str7 star lance. Then, my phoenix could come in and finish him off. That was the plan at least, but it just didn't happen. In the end, I suppose I was lucky in later turns that the dragon princes held as long as they did!

My other charge option was to send everything into the Khorne warriors first turn, but because of the building on their side, not very much could fit in there. I could get DPs + 1 chariot, basically, and that wasn't good enough, even with magical aid.

But the best option would have been no charges at all. Control the DP with my phoenix, start wearing him down with some shooting, and try to get everything out of his charge path. Similarly, those Khorne warriors would have fallen very quickly with a couple rounds of shooting and magic, with an arsenal of magic missiles (even the Ring of Fury) to shave off a rank or more per round.

My charge with Carmen on the DP -- this was definitely a mistake. I knew that even at s9 she couldn't kill him by herself, and I forgot that she'd be locked in a challenge with the phoenix unable to fight. I think I'd average more wounds by saving the potion until the second round, but really Carmen had no business charging that guy unless he was on his final wound! Charging the phoenix in solo to help the dragon princes would have been much more effective. Carmen would have been much, much more useful helping out on the west vs. the warriors!

the western flank: I'm sure I could have handled this better and either slowed the Tzeench warriors more or found a way to tactically withdraw with the archers earlier. In my defense, the scenario put him close to my lines and I was unable to do much with the reavers, but at the very least in my turn 2 I should have sacrificed the Reavers to give myself more time. Then, that failed march in turn 3 really killed them. I was hoping to kill or badly weaken one warrior unit before it reached my line (success) and then simply kite the other around, shooting it until I was ready to attack it with my combat elements from the east flank. Instead, my combat units were all committed poorly on the east, and the archers were trapped (because they had no leadership, since Carmen so foolishly charged the Daemon Prince).

How would you have played the west flank, given my deployment?

deployment: I deployed about half of my units after Mark had completely finished, so I had plenty of chances. The phoenix was already down (in future games, I now know to wait to see where the Daemon Prince goes and set the phoenix ready to charge him if he enters my territory). But the bolt throwers, characters, lots of other stuff could have gone anywhere. I wanted my archers on the blazing barricade with plenty of space to shoot, but other than that it was pretty much up in the air.

Thanks for reading! This certainly wasn't, by popular wisdom, the strongest list Mark could have fielded, but he was in the mood for some Warrior action this time. The DP was certainly pretty filthy! (although can they be even nastier? this seemed pretty ridiculous: t5, s6, 5 attacks, 1+/5++, flying, level 4 wizard, thunderstomp. Yikes!).

Nicene

#48 Post by Nicene »

Battle 7: Greenskin MSU/Mobility

Had a battle vs. Jimmy's experimental MSU/Moblity O&G army.

His list:

Level 4 orc great shaman on wyvern - fencer's blades, power stone
Level 2 night goblin shaman - dispel scroll
Black orc big boss BSB on boar - trickster's helm
Savage orc big boss on boar - sword of might

20 night goblins - 3 fanatics
6 spider riders
6 spider riders
6 spider riders
6 wolf riders
6 wolf riders

8 savage orc big 'un boar boys
4 trolls
4 trolls
4 trolls

Mangler
Mangler
Boar Chariot
Boar Chariot
Snotling Pump Wagon with "the works"

He had approximately 2 more drops than me! I chose the side and deployed thus:

the tower and the small building are simply impassable terrain/LOS blockers. the two ruined buildings are hard cover/impassable walls

we played on an extra-wide table this time. Appropriate for such enormous armies to have space to maneuver!

Jimmy was very happy with his spell selection:
Great Shaman: Hand of Gork, Foot of Gork, Gaze of Mork, 'Eadbutt
Night Goblin Shaman: Sneaky Stabbin, Gift of the Spider God

We rolled and I took the first turn!

to be continued. . .

Nicene

#49 Post by Nicene »

Battle 7: Greenskin MSU/Mobility

Had a battle vs. my pal Jimmy's experimental MSU/Moblity O&G army.

Find my current list in the first post of this topic, along with links to each battle and some musings on MSU and this army in particular.

His list:

Level 4 orc great shaman on wyvern - fencer's blades, power stone
Level 2 night goblin shaman - dispel scroll
Black orc big boss BSB on boar - trickster's helm
Savage orc big boss on boar - sword of might

20 night goblins - 3 fanatics
6 spider riders
6 spider riders
6 spider riders
6 wolf riders
6 wolf riders

8 savage orc big 'un boar boys
4 trolls
4 trolls
4 trolls

Mangler
Mangler
Boar Chariot
Boar Chariot
Snotling Pump Wagon with "the works"

He had approximately 2 more drops than me! I chose the side and deployed thus:

the tower and the small building are simply impassable terrain/LOS blockers. the two ruined buildings are hard cover/impassable walls

we played on an extra-wide table this time. Appropriate for such enormous armies to have space to maneuver!

Jimmy was very happy with his spell selection:
Great Shaman: Hand of Gork, Foot of Gork, Gaze of Mork, 'Eadbutt
Night Goblin Shaman: Sneaky Stabbin, Gift of the Spider God

We rolled and I took the first turn!

to be continued. . . (click)
Last edited by Nicene on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jimmy
Centurion

Re: Battle 7 (O&G) - Nicene's MSU now with 2 skycutters

#50 Post by Jimmy »

Looking forward to this. :D
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Iluvatar

#51 Post by Iluvatar »

Hey, you advertise this game with 2 skycutters, but you don't publish your new list! =P~
I would even say that it's a good habit to post your list again before each report, even if it hasn't changed - simply because it's hard to remember it all when there are so many nice blogs running at this time. :wink:

That looks like a great game. Two MSUs facing! It's very nice to have the extra large table as well - while in some cases it can be remove from the interest of the game (typically a gunline/corner army vs a rather slow one), I believe it improves a lot the experience for this one, with two mobile armies that have a large number of units. Looking forward to the full report!
jsg2295

#52 Post by jsg2295 »

Nicene wrote:After-Battle Thoughts:
Question: for Spirit Leech, do you use LD10 (from banner of discipline) for LD9?
I have always played it that the target has the highest leadership of whatever is in that unit. Banners not in it don't count. But of course you can make an argument either way. It does state unmodified leadership and if you go to FAQ questions you can find answers that contradict each other. Its why you have dice to settle rules during the game.
Nicene

#53 Post by Nicene »

Iluvatar wrote:Hey, you advertise this game with 2 skycutters, but you don't publish your new list! =P~
I would even say that it's a good habit to post your list again before each report, even if it hasn't changed - simply because it's hard to remember it all when there are so many nice blogs running at this time. :wink:
Nice advice! As it happens, my current list is posted in the first post in this thread (along with links to each report and some musings on MSU and this army in particular).

Thanks for reading and I will try to get the report typed up this evening.

Nicene

Re: Battle 7 (O&G) Deployment - MSU now with 2 skycutters

#54 Post by Nicene »

High Elves Turn 1

High Elf forces move to surround and entrap their foes

Alexandra had recovered from her last battle and returned from a journey to the Chaos Void. Even better, she had used the time to ruminate on past mistakes, and she now remembered well the lessons she learned about overaggression and impetuosity. She ordered her forces to maintain a slow pace, setting up traps for the enemy and picking off their fragile units from afar. Only the frost phoenix moved forward aggressively. The ancient monster had little to fear from the enemy army and sought to use this position to control the center and thus slow down the greenskin advance.

Additionally, the keen-eyed great eagle saw an opening and swooped forward, fooling the rabid night goblins into releasing their fanatics directly in its path! The crazed goblins smashed harmlessly into an intervening wall, but to their dismay they were unable to destroy it.

Magic (6v6): Alexandra's caution was perhaps overmuch, and she wasn't in range for some of her most useful spells. She therefore aimed to capitalize on the disorderly enemy troops by confusing their distant general with an icy blizzard. His position in the sky above would make him especially vulnerable to such a spell! He managed to stop it, however, along with a long-range fireball Alexandra attempted to hurl at the closest unit of trolls.

On the flanks, the enemy harassing wolf riders were chased away with some well-placed bolts and arrows, and a couple of savage orc boar boyz were unhorsed (unboared?). The eastern mangler was also wounded, and a spider rider fell from his sticky saddle in the west.

Orcs & Goblins Turn 1

cautious advance from the greenskins as well.

The Great Shaman was a bit nervous seeing his troops being surrounded. Calls out to the flank for reforms had limited success--on the east, the wolf riders reined in their mounts and turned back to the battle, but on the west his cries fell on deaf ears as the goblins pretended not to hear him. A few general advance was called, with the pump wagon surging forward perhaps a bit farther than anyone expected it to!

Magic (6v3): The Great Shaman drew a glassy stone from his pocket and crushed it in his craggy fist. Feeling a surge of power, he called down the mighty foot of none other than Gork himself! Alexandra knew she could not draw enough power to stop the incantation--additionally, she had seen this particular spell before and was not overly concerned for her forces.

The orc Shaman pointed at the enemy magical forest archers, hoping to smash their flaming bows into matchsticks, but his aim was somewhat off! Gork was displeased and turned his wrath upon the nearby boar riders, squashing most of the regiment! Even the black orc battle standard bearer did not escape the weight of Gork. However, he miraculously survived, as did three of the six affected boar boys! They thanked their lucky warpaint and kept charging toward the smelly elves.

The Shaman, unperturbed, attempted some more magic, this time hoping to appease Gork by asking for his hands to help move some units around. Unfortunately, his pleas were not loud enough, and Gork ignored him for now.

High Elves Turn 2

another impetuous charge from the dragon princes! why?

Despite Alexandra's careful plans, the dragon princes ignored her orders and charged forward into the three remaining boar boys and the two huge orcs accompanying them. The drakemaster lowered his magical lance and aimed it directly at the black orc battle standard bearer. The scions of Caledor planned to gut the enemy leadership in one fell swoop, then turn and sweep into the nearby trolls, burning them alive with their flaming weapons! The possibility was definitely there for a quick victory, but wouldn't it have been more prudent to wait a bit for better conditions?

Seeing the somewhat premature charge of the heavy cavalry, Alexandra sighed and ordered more units into combat to cover their attack. The western skycutter hit the pump wagon, while the phoenix trampled into some spider riders, looking to overrun into the trolls behind them. The eastern reavers drew their spears and took the fight to their wolf-riding counterparts, while even the great eagle got into the action, swooping the short distance forward into another unit of spider riders.

This left the shooting base of the elves to shuffle a bit for better shots, while the lion chariot moved to the center to cover anything that made it through the elven front lines. On the west, the reavers there gingerly crossed the River of Light and looked for their enemy amongst the trees.

Magic (6v5): Alexandra just couldn't catch a break, with the winds of magic refusing to blow in her favor. Nevertheless, using her Book of Hoeth, she summoned just enough power to enchant the charging dragon princes with wissan's wildform. The Great Shaman, realizing the threat to his shock troops, focused intently on stopping the spell. Though he succeeded, Alexandra capitalized on his distraction by firing two magic missiles in quick succession. First, a fireball turned a rampaging mangler squig into ash, and then shem's burning gaze felled a troll and wounded another.

Several more enemies fell to the continued shooting onslaught, and even a tough eastern boar chariot was heavily damaged by mere bowfire from the eastern archers. It continued rolling forward, but it was on the verge of falling apart. The remaining mangler was wounded again, but still he raged forward, with the goblins leading him barely able to restrain him any longer!

In combat, the drakemaster called out a challenge and struck with his lance even before his black orc counterpart could draw his weapon! The blow at first seemed true, but the gleam from the enemy's Trickster Helm caught the light in a strange way, Loec the trickster god laughed, and the lance slid aside! The battle standard bearer, wounded but not slain, swung his weapon in a huge arc, smashing the drakemaster from his saddle and splintering his lance with gratuitous force. Though two more boar boys died to lances, the last one, waving his standard, saw the outcome of the duel and fought even harder! One more dragon prince was slain, and the combat was a draw, with neither side able to gain an advantage. This looked bad for the elven cavalry.

Other charges were more successful, however. The skycutter smashed the pump wagon; the reavers, waving their standard, chased away the wolf riders; and the phoenix crushed the spider riders, crashing forward into the remaining three trolls. Only the eagle was less lucky--though it struck true, its blows somehow glanced off the flimsy armor of the goblin spider riders! The spiders gleefully sank their fangs into the eagle, and it quickly succumbed to the poison.

Orcs & Goblins Turn 2

retaliation in the east, with more maneuvering in the west

The Great Shaman flew behind the western building to take command there, leaving the victorious black orc BSB to handle the east. The black orc ordered the mangler to run through the dragon princes, and they were indeed crushed quickly by the insane beast. The wounded boar chariot began a charge against the exposed skycutter, but it flew to safety, taking cover on the other side of the swamp.

With no foes left to fight, the 3-strong boar unit moved forward again, looking for a new target. On the west, the flank forces ignored the phoenix, redressed their lines, and looked to cross the river and attack the elves' shooting base.

Magic (11v5): The night goblin shaman showed his true potential here! Using only minute amounts of magical wind, he bestowed the gift of the spider god onto the trolls, giving them poisonous attacks! Moreover, he stole some power from Alexandra's hands and used it to cast another spell, sneaky stabbin, onto the trolls! The Great Shaman then took over, using Gork's hand to move the injured mangler forward into the elven ranks. With his remaining power, he projected a line of deadly force from his hard skull toward Alexandra. She was unable to stop the magic, and the magical 'eadbutt crashed into her! Luckily, she survived the blast with only minor injuries, but she felt very dizzy.

In combat, the poisonous trolls were very powerful! Though one troll was further injured, they dealt two telling blows to the phoenix. Though the trolls won combat, they were not able to gain any ground and the combat ground on.

High Elves Turn 3

Alexandra moved forward to support her phoenix with magic. Her flanks moved to further encircle the enemy, confident they could shoot down the mangler before it caused any further damage.

Magic (5v5): With another seemingly even magical wind, Alexandra chose spells which would not use much energy. Shem's burning gaze was dispelled, but she managed to cast a fireball at the western trolls! Though the flames struck home, they did no damage and the trolls continued their march forward. Alexandra then summoned a blizzard to slow the trolls fighting the phoenix, and finally she invoked her ring of fury, unleashing the fury of khaine upon the wounded chariot! Only dealt a small amount of damage was able to get through the chariot's tough frame and thick armor, but it was just enough to destroy the machine.

In shooting, the bow-wielding elves on the west did what the fireball could not and brought down two of the marching trolls, wounding a third. On the east, however, nothing seemed able to destroy the mangler squig! Even Carmen managed to hit the thing with three magical arrows at point-blank range, but it miraculously survived!

In combat, the phoenix hit the trolls hard, but their flesh simply healed and no lasting damage was done. In return, and despite the blizzard, one troll still managed to slash its poisonous claws through the phoenix's feathers, and the monster shrieked in rage as even more poison sank into its veins.

Orcs and Goblins Turn 3

On the east, the boar riders kicked their mounts into motion and charged across no-man's land into the jaws of the lion chariot, which awaited them with stubborn resolve.

The central spiders riders, seeing the phoenix heavily wounded, charged into its flank to finish the job! In the west, the cleverest of the three remaining spider-riding goblins ordered his two subordinates forward to distract the enemy light cavalry, while he rode back to the general to give his report. The two brave companions were never heard from again as a hail of arrows landed amongst them! Finally, the wounded western trolls charged across the river into the hated archers. Many arrows fell amongst them, and one or two found its mark, but both trolls made it across the river and into the safety of close combat!

The eastern trolls were too stupid to make any decisions for themselves, and the crew of the skycutter in front of them breathed a collective sigh of relief. The wounded mangler, however, crashed through the trees into the eastern archers, killing several and forcing the remainder of the unit to flee to safety!

Magic (5v4): The night goblin shaman once again began to chant the words for the gift of the spider god. This time, Alexandra was ready. With the help of her trusty book, she stopped the spell before it could be enchant the trolls! The Great Shaman, enraged, once again called down the Foot of Gork, this time targeting Alexandra and her honor guard! Gork was once again off-target, however.

In combat, the lions and crew members focused everything on the remaining savage orc standard bearer, dispatching him quickly. In return, the two orcish brutes dealt heavy damage to the chariot, and despite their stubbornness, the crew were forced to turn the chariot around and flee! The orcs pursued, and the chase led all of the combatants into the nearby forest, which turned out to be a wildwood! The limbs lashed out and crushed the damaged chariot. They tried to attack the orcs as well, but the brutes laughed off the attacks and swatted the woody limbs away like so many flies.

On the west, the archers once again showed their mettle by completely dispatching the trolls before the beasts even raised their arms to fight back! To the north, the phoenix crushed three of the spiders into purple ooze, but it suffered a poisonous wound in return! It was almost ready to collapse. Would it be able to hold out?

High Elves Turn 4

Seeing her chance and the enemy cavalry heroes' flanks exposed, Carmen swooped forward on her eagle, drinking her strength potion in mid-flight. The skycutter attempted to join as well but something went wrong with the mainsail and it was forced to suddenly land!

In an unexpected show of bravery, the eastern reavers covered them by charging into the trolls' flank. With a bit of luck, they'd be able to surprise the beasts and run them down. Feeling equally brave and fresh from their victory over the western trolls, the full-strength archers charged into the remaining boar chariot's flank (though they were forced to fight partially in the river, and Elves as we all know hate getting their skirts wet). The swordmasters considered joining them but, seeing the river, were not as brave as the archers and decided to keep their feet dry a bit longer.

Alexandra stepped forward again, closing in on the enemy methodically.

Magic (6v4): Alexandra knew it was now or never if she were to save the phoenix. She used half of the available power to channel the winds of life and heal a bit of the poison coursing through the ancient monster's veins! With her remaining strength, she attempted to engage in a mental duel with the enemy Shaman general atop his wyvern, but the Shaman blocked the spell using all of his power. Then, Alexandra attempted to summon another blizzard onto the general, but this time the night goblin read some mumbo-jumbo from a magical scroll, and the winds dissipated harmlessly.

In shooting, the mangler was finally destroyed by a bolt thrower. More amazingly, another bolt thrower made up for its earlier ineptitude by firing a surprisingly accurate volley, at long range, between the heads of some trolls and into the enemy Great Shaman! One bolt found its mark in the orcish general's ribs, and he roared in rage.

In combat, the archers dealt a bit of damage to the chariot and forced it to flee! They showed no mercy and grabbed the rails as it tried to cross the wall, climbing aboard and hacking the orcish crew apart with their pointy elven daggers.

To the east, Carmen called out a challenge, and the frenzied savage orc stepped in front of her. Unfortunately, his thick hide was no match for her immense chemical-induced strength, and her lance pierced through both of his lungs! As he collapsed, the black orc battle standard knew the battle was lost, threw his standard to the ground, and rode for the hills.

Centrally, the phoenix crushed two more of the spiders, but the final one somehow managed to spit more poison into the giant bird's eyes! It was only due to the lifebloom from Alexandra's magic that the phoenix was able to survive, and the combat raged on yet again.

At the same time, the reavers crashed into the trolls. As expected, they dealt only minimal damage, with most of the wounds they caused immediately scabbing over. Two reavers were ripped from their saddles, but the weight of their charge was heavy, and the trolls were hard-pressed to hold! Still, the eye of the Great Shaman was upon them, and the trolls summoned enough courage to hold their ground.

Orcs and Goblins Turn 4

The Great Shaman surveyed the battle and knew that all was probably lost. He fell back to behind a wall, planning his retreat and giving orders to the night goblin shaman to hold the line while the general "flew back to the camp for more weapons."

Magic (8v7): Gift of the spidergod on the trolls was once again stopped by Alexandra. The Great Shaman then called one final time upon Gorkzilla, who this time dutifully smashed his foot directly down upon Carmen's head! Even Carmen's charmed shield was not strong enough to deflect the blow, and she was nearly crushed! The eagle, however, softened the blow somewhat, and though she was wounded badly, Carmen somehow survived. The spell had been cast with such force that the magical winds lashed back against the orcish lines, but the Great Shaman's tough hide protected him. The night goblin shaman was not so lucky, however, and the magical feedback wounded him badly.

In combat, the eastern trolls smashed the last three reavers apart!

More importantly, the phoenix, still barely clinging to life, finally squished the last spider rider and turned its full attention on the trolls. The trolls, without magical aid, were powerless to fight it. Despite their stupidity, they somehow sensed the hopeless situation and finally fled, shouldering through the night goblins! As the phoenix ran down and ripped apart the trolls, the night goblin shaman, seeing the futility of the situation, muttered something vile and led his forces away as well.

The Great Shaman was left alone, save for his wyvern and a few trolls. Rather than surrender to the filthy elves, he spurred his mount back into the sky and flew away to go raise another army.
Last edited by Nicene on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Re: Battle 7 (O&G) Complete - MSU now with 2 skycutters!

#55 Post by Ferny »

Excellent win and great report!

Gandalf_82

#56 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Love the report against the Chaos Warriors.

I'm on my lunch break now so no time for a proper reply (took me long enough to read it!) but you seem to have already pointed out a lot of things you would have done differently. I am not sure in what order things got deployed in but you've put pretty much all of your combat units on your right flank and left the archers and sisters facing a mass of warriors. I'd have put the PG over there as well at the least as some combat support to help hold up that left flank (being our most resilient troops) whilst you dealt with the right, with a view to then bringing in more support as the battle progressed? But then what do I know! Great report though, well written. Look forward to reading how you got on against Jimmy later!
Nicene

#57 Post by Nicene »

Thanks for the comments!

@gandalf: I wanted the Loremaster (and therefore the PG) where she could add her strength to the east flank and destroy it quickly, while I delayed the left. I figured I had enough shooting to stop the warriors on the left, if I could slow them down enough. Unfortunately, I miscalculated how quickly everything would reach me!

Do you think the PG with Alexandra could have withstood a charge from the Tzeench warriors? Perhaps! She certainly could have done some damage to them with magic missiles (at least until the miscast). She also had a good chance to pick off the sorcerer with spirit leech. Her presence wasn't actually needed on the east, so I agree in retrospect this would have been a smarter move. Thanks for catching that!

Gandalf_82

#58 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Nicene wrote:Thanks for the comments!

@gandalf: I wanted the Loremaster (and therefore the PG) where she could add her strength to the east flank and destroy it quickly, while I delayed the left. I figured I had enough shooting to stop the warriors on the left, if I could slow them down enough. Unfortunately, I miscalculated how quickly everything would reach me!

Do you think the PG with Alexandra could have withstood a charge from the Tzeench warriors? Perhaps! She certainly could have done some damage to them with magic missiles (at least until the miscast). She also had a good chance to pick off the sorcerer with spirit leech. Her presence wasn't actually needed on the east, so I agree in retrospect this would have been a smarter move. Thanks for catching that!
I don't know, I'm far from an expert on these things but 10 PG with a Loremaster all with a 4+ parry/ward vs 18 of em (or a few less if you'd softened them up with some shooting and magic missiles) would have definitely held them up for a while I'd have thought. It's easy to suggest things in hindsight though. If you'd finished off the DP early doors as planned and not wasted those combat units on them, your original plan could have worked a charm! Just one to consider though, I'd say I'm quite a cautious/defensive general so I think that's what I'd have done with my deployment.
Nicene

#59 Post by Nicene »

Battle 8: Orcs and Goblins

My friend Jimmy was anxious for some revenge, so we played a battle today!

My list:

330 Lords
Loremaster – Book of Hoeth, Shield of the Merwyrn, Tormentor Sword, Ring of Fury: 330 "Alexandra the Tormentress"

211 Heroes
BSB – Dragon Armor, Lance, Charmed Shield, Reaver Bow, Strength Potion, Eagle: 211 "Carmen"

630 Core
5 Reavers - Add Bows, M+S: 115
5 Reavers - Add Bows, M+S: 115

755 Special
5 Princes - C+S, Flaming, Star Lance: 205
10 Phoenix Guard - S, Discipline: 175
Lion Chariot: 120

570 Rare
1 Frost Phoenix: 240
1 Eagle: 50
5 sisters: 70

His list:

Orc Warboss - Wyvern, Trickster's Helm, Talisman of Preservation, Great Weapon, Shield
orc great shaman - level 4, dispel scroll

savage orc - BSB, boar, stuff
night goblin shaman - level 1

41 night goblins - netters, ?? fanatics
41 night goblins - netters, ?? fanatics
5 wolf riders - sss, m
5 wolf riders, sss, m

9 savage orc boar boyz
4 trolls
4 river trolls
boar chariot

pump wagon with "the works"
mangler
mangler
doom diver
rock lobba'

We played Battleline and used the same terrain as last time. This time, Jimmy won the roll for deployment and chose the opposite side, deploying thus:

the battle report is upside down

The great shaman took [3,4,5,6]: Hand of Gork, 'Ere we go!, 'Eadbutt, and Foot of Gork, while the night goblin shaman took sneaky stabbin'.

The Warboss, atop his monstrous wyvern, ordered his last troops into position, noting that the elves across the village from him still had not finished organizing their forces. He was about to bellow his first shouted commands when a hail of arrows suddenly fell among his ranks and, somewhere in the periphery of his mind, he thought he could make out the screams of goblins dying. Or maybe they always sounded that way? At any rate, the reeking elves had tricked him into complacency and were already on the move!

to be continued. . . (click to jump)
Last edited by Nicene on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gandalf_82

Re: Battle 8 (O&G) Deployment - MSU now with 2 skycutters!

#60 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Another great battle report against Jimmy's MSU army there mate. Good use of the eagle early doors to get those fanatics out. Looks like you played well. I love how a Frostheart can hold up enemy units like that, they are so resilient. Ground em down in the end to great effect!