Battle of Finuval Plain (25,000 pts)

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Hoodling

Battle of Finuval Plain (25,000 pts)

#1 Post by Hoodling »

Last edited by Hoodling on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
[url=http://hoodlinghole.blogspot.com]The Hoodling's Hole[/url]
Iluvatar

Re: Battle of Finuval Plain (25,000 pts)

#2 Post by Iluvatar »

Hi Hoodling!

Good thing that you're posting here - I've been following your blog for a while (since the battle of Hel Fenn :wink: ), but I never got to comment on it due to having to use a Google/Facebook account (which I don't like doing).
Anyway, that game looks as amazing as Hel Fenn, so I'm really looking forward to the report! Great work you do there.
Oh, and your conversions are always nice to see - keep showing them to us!
And say hi to your crazy hippo friend as well - lots of inspiration on his blog as well! :)

Cheers from a the opposite corner of the world (France)!
Struthy

#3 Post by Struthy »

Was an amazing and exhausting 16-17 odd hours of wargaming! I played the Teclis lead Saphery third of the army. Huge thanks and shoutout to Greg the "Hoodling" and everyone else who helped out during the day.

Will be great to see how the photos turned up for the day. The boys too amazing records to account each action for the report so I hope everyone loves it!
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#4 Post by Galharen »

AWESOME!! :shock:
Hoodling

#5 Post by Hoodling »

Iluvatar wrote:Hi Hoodling!

Good thing that you're posting here - I've been following your blog for a while (since the battle of Hel Fenn :wink: ), but I never got to comment on it due to having to use a Google/Facebook account (which I don't like doing).
Anyway, that game looks as amazing as Hel Fenn, so I'm really looking forward to the report! Great work you do there.
Oh, and your conversions are always nice to see - keep showing them to us!
And say hi to your crazy hippo friend as well - lots of inspiration on his blog as well! :)

Cheers from a the opposite corner of the world (France)!
Cheers!

Apparently I created an account on these forums about 10 years ago, and am only now using it for the first time. Maybe I'll become a regular if I can get the creative juices flowing for my poor neglected High Elves. Preparation for this battle report helped a bit in that regard...
Struthy wrote:Was an amazing and exhausting 16-17 odd hours of wargaming! I played the Teclis lead Saphery third of the army. Huge thanks and shoutout to Greg the "Hoodling" and everyone else who helped out during the day.

Will be great to see how the photos turned up for the day. The boys too amazing records to account each action for the report so I hope everyone loves it!
Yeah, thanks for joining us! It was indeed a long day. But I think everyone wanted to see it through rather than having to come back the following day. Given how things worked out, it was the right call.
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

Pure awesome!
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#7 Post by Galharen »

But we already know the winner :wink:
Hoodling

#8 Post by Hoodling »

Galharen wrote:But we already know the winner :wink:
You're assuming we follow the rest of the story, eh? [-X

For the record, counting our playtesting, Tyrion only won the duel twice - the same as Urian. And there was a draw where they gutted each other simultaneously... It just happened to work out close to the actual story.
Jimmy
Centurion

#9 Post by Jimmy »

Wow, bravo sir(s)!

That's a damn large undertaking in terms of battle reporting alone. When do you imagine you'll have it complete? =D>
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Hoodling

#10 Post by Hoodling »

Jimmy wrote:Wow, bravo sir(s)!

That's a damn large undertaking in terms of battle reporting alone. When do you imagine you'll have it complete? =D>
Good question. The initial setup of the maps and army lists was very time-consuming, but that is now done. I'm not yet halfway through the maps, but at this point they will be faster than the writing. If I can keep up a rate of a turn every couple of days, I think I will be doing reasonably well. Anything faster than that will be a bonus. Wish me luck.
Modessa

#11 Post by Modessa »

Amazing! I can't wait to read the next instalment!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#12 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Hoodling!

Thanks a lot for posting that introduction to the report! I predict it will be the most visited topic soon :)

I can't even imagine how much time it takes to even prepare to the game of this size so great applause for the effort to all involved. =D>

I wonder how that game scales though. The amount of models increases very quickly but the amount of space is much more limited. It is easily seen on the maps too, where you have units densely packed across whole table(s). How did it affect the game? I hope it didn't reduce the fan factor because the regiments need to be thrown at each other as they stand :)

I can also imagine how such game would look in Warmaster, now that would be also a great thing to do, with units and whole brigades forming armies and at the same time enough room to actually manoeuvre. But that is a different story!

Looking forward to the rest of the report and thanks again for organizing such a massive game! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Hoodling

#13 Post by Hoodling »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Hi Hoodling!

Thanks a lot for posting that introduction to the report! I predict it will be the most visited topic soon :)

I can't even imagine how much time it takes to even prepare to the game of this size so great applause for the effort to all involved. =D>

I wonder how that game scales though. The amount of models increases very quickly but the amount of space is much more limited. It is easily seen on the maps too, where you have units densely packed across whole table(s). How did it affect the game? I hope it didn't reduce the fan factor because the regiments need to be thrown at each other as they stand :)

I can also imagine how such game would look in Warmaster, now that would be also a great thing to do, with units and whole brigades forming armies and at the same time enough room to actually manoeuvre. But that is a different story!

Looking forward to the rest of the report and thanks again for organizing such a massive game! =D>
Hi Swordmaster,

Yeah, the table does end up a lot more congested than a normal game, although once you spread from your deployment zone, things are not too bad unless you get into a series of big, tangled combats. I'm not sure the game would have been to your taste, although given it was 25,000 points, surely units of 10-15 fast cavalry count as MSU...?

The table was 12x6', which is clearly not proportional to as 2500 point game being played on 6x4'. But then, there are practical concerns. Finding enough boards, terrain and space for a bigger table would be a real headache. Getting enough textured boards ready for this size was annoying enough. Maybe next time we'll try deliberately using more space and see how it affects the game.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#14 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Hoodling,

Thanks a lot for a quick reply!

I totally agree about the logistics and it was not a criticism at all! I have never played a game like that, hence my curiosity how it affects the game. It is totally different experience to your regular, one-on-one "skirmishes" but I am intrigued by the details, so to speak. I am sure I will get a better understanding after reading the report and seeing the pictures!

I just wanted to add that such games and such ideas really enrich the hobby, not only for the participants but also for readers and other players in general. It is easy to get into tournament routine but there is so much more to that game and you provided one of the best examples ever. Campaigns, re-creation of "historical" battles, creating your own scenarios etc. That all is stuff of legends and I feel privileged to be able to read about such games.

Thanks a lot and keep them coming! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Hoodling

#15 Post by Hoodling »

Turn 1 of the report is now up. Link in the first post.

@Swordmaster Yeah, battles like this are pretty much a different game from your normal-sized Warhammer battle. Things like tactics are really not important. The main focus is just on driving the game forward and making stuff happen. It's a different mentality.
Targ Ironfist

#16 Post by Targ Ironfist »

Hi Hoodling,

I am sorry to disagree a bit here. Tactics will be diminished in a sense, Yes, but unimportant? Sounds a too strong cofee for me. :P #-o

Outside of my grumbling, please continue with the report! :mrgreen:

With regards
Targ Ironfist
rik a Onggor Throng
----
Keeping Your word in its strictest sense makes You more the man!
Razzat

#17 Post by Razzat »

How did you scale the winds of magic??

I am loving this by the way, its what imagination and gaming is all about in my opinion, yeah a 2.4k against a mate is great but this kind of thinking outside of the box and doing something truly epic is great!! Tip of the cap to you and all who are involved!!!
[url=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/matholman/library/Warhammer?sort=3&page=1]High Elves Gallery[/url]
Struthy

#18 Post by Struthy »

Razzat wrote:How did you scale the winds of magic??

I am loving this by the way, its what imagination and gaming is all about in my opinion, yeah a 2.4k against a mate is great but this kind of thinking outside of the box and doing something truly epic is great!! Tip of the cap to you and all who are involved!!!
We used the Storm of Magic rules. Roll 4D6 for the power dice and the opponent grabbed the two highest dice for their dispel pool.
solith

#19 Post by solith »

This is so incredibly awesome! =D>
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#20 Post by Domine Nox »

Very impressive battle and set up. Especially that on that scale everything is painted! I could probably round up that kind of points with my buddies, but it would be a hideous sea of grey plastic and primer with islands of painted miniatures. Can't wait to read turns 2+.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
vespacian1

#21 Post by vespacian1 »

Amazing! Thank you for taking the time to share with the community. Warms my caledorian heart to see so many dragons on the table. Pretty inspired to try something like this out with my gaming group.
Can't wait for the remainder.
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#22 Post by Seredain »

Absolutely fantastic! Thanks so much for taking the time to record and type up something on this scale. Just read Hel Fenn and it was awesome.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Glorfindain

#23 Post by Glorfindain »

Great job and thank you for posting!
Hoodling

#24 Post by Hoodling »

Turn 2 is up now, see the link in the first post.

Thanks for reading, folks. =D>
Aerendar Valandil

#25 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

YEEEY *runs*
jamierk

#26 Post by jamierk »

What an epic battle report mate. This is how Warhammer should be played in my books. So impressive having that many well painted units/characters/monsters on the one board! Keep up the great work. As others have said, its as well written a battle report as anything from a white dwarf. (The comment on Dragon Princes doing dressage nearly made me spill my coffee).
Hoodling

#27 Post by Hoodling »

jamierk wrote:What an epic battle report mate. This is how Warhammer should be played in my books. So impressive having that many well painted units/characters/monsters on the one board! Keep up the great work. As others have said, its as well written a battle report as anything from a white dwarf. (The comment on Dragon Princes doing dressage nearly made me spill my coffee).
Thanks. It's funny how many people have come out and said "this is how Warhammer should be played". I'm not sure the statement is entirely true - normal-sized games are still Warhammer's stock in trade. But I think it's true that not enough people branch out into other sizes of battles. Events like this are good for the hobby.

Oh, and I will not be held responsible for people who can't handle their coffee... [-X
jamierk

#28 Post by jamierk »

Hoodling wrote:
jamierk wrote:What an epic battle report mate. This is how Warhammer should be played in my books. So impressive having that many well painted units/characters/monsters on the one board! Keep up the great work. As others have said, its as well written a battle report as anything from a white dwarf. (The comment on Dragon Princes doing dressage nearly made me spill my coffee).
Thanks. It's funny how many people have come out and said "this is how Warhammer should be played". I'm not sure the statement is entirely true - normal-sized games are still Warhammer's stock in trade. But I think it's true that not enough people branch out into other sizes of battles. Events like this are good for the hobby.

Oh, and I will not be held responsible for people who can't handle their coffee... [-X
Lol, yeah i guess this is more the 'theme' of what those players have in mind when they think of warhammer. Having played 1 too many tournament level games, i think it would be nice to play a game where you have enough redundancy for some really bad stuff to happen and still be on the board, ready to try and get something back. Big comet goes off and does big damage, hilarity ensues but the game goes on. Lose a stardragon (or 4) and you've still got hoards of elite units to plug the gap. Anyways, might give me some motivation to bump up my unit counts and play something bigger for a change. I recently built myself an 8ft table at home, good for some bigger point games perhaps.

;-)
Francis

#29 Post by Francis »

May I suggest a 5000p match then Jamierk? At 4000+ you start to get the effect that you want (bad stuff happens but you plug the gap with reserves) and 5000 to a side is even better.

On the game, things look bad for the helfs atm, lets hope its a case of "always darkest before the dawn" :wink:. Great read anyway.
Stormie

#30 Post by Stormie »

This is brilliant, really loving the report. I've always wanted to play a legendary sized game like Finuval Plain but reading yours is almost as good ;)