Friendly 2K HE vs Daemons of Chaos game

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

tshe900013

Friendly 2K HE vs Daemons of Chaos game

#1 Post by tshe900013 »

Hello all,

If you saw my post about the 2K HE vs. O&G battle report - this is the same HE army. This was the 2nd game I played this weekend with Dave and it was very, very fun.

My 2K HE list:
Archmage Genera - level 4, Book of Hoeth, Talisman of protection (used Heavens)
* Spells: Iceshard, harmonic convergence, curse of the midnight wind, and chain lightning
[note: I rolled three 3's for spell selection - so was able to pretty much pick what I wanted]
Noble BSB - barded steed, dragon armor, charmed shield, potion of foolhardiness, star lance, great weapon

Core:
9 silverhelms, full command (noble BSB goes here)
15 archers, standard and musician (Archmage goes here)
2 x 5 reavers (bow and spear)

Special / Rare
18 phoenix guard, full command, razor banner
Sky Cutter
Frost Phoenix
10 swordmaster, champion & musician
1 RBT
1 eagle

Daemons of chaos:

Bloodthirster General
soul grider
skull cannon
~40 bloodletters - formed in 10 wide front 4 ranks deep
2 x 5 chaos furies
2 x 3 screamers of tzeentch
7 fleshhounds

Going into this fight - my big concern was how to deal with 3 big beasties - skull cannon, bloodthirster and soulgrinder.

Deployment:

Chaos Daemons:

Furies behind screamers []--------------------------------------------------------[] Furies behind fleshhounds
screamers [] screamers [] blood thirster [] skull cannon [] bloodletters [] soulgrinder [] fleshounds

HE:
--------[] building[]---------------------------------------------------------------------------
reavers [] frost phoenix [] swordmasters [] phoenix guard [] silvehelms [] RBT [] sky cutter [] reavers

Note that I put the frost phoenix right behind a building so that the skull cannon would have to drop the cannon ball right on top of him to hit him.

Daemons win the dice roll to go first (hmm, Dave won both rolls to go first).

Daemons turn 1:
armies advance towards HE lines.
Missile Fire: skull cannon goes for the RBT, drops the ball 4" in front of the RBT, then it sticks (phew!)

HE Turn 1:
Silverhelms, and cutter charge the soul grinder. They need dice rolls of 7 and 6 to make it respectively - both fail.
Reavers charge screamers on my left, and reavers charge fleshhounds on my right.
Frost phoenix is moved away from greater daemon (cause I don't want to get into that fight) and across from soul grinder.

Magic: Iceshard cast on soulgrinder is dispelled, chain lightning goes off on the bloodletters, kills a couple, then puts a wound on the skull cannon, then puts a wound on the bloodthirster.
Missile Fire: Archers put 2 more wounds on the skull cannon! RBT hits but does not would the bloodthirster.
Hand to hand: Reavers fail to wound the fleshhounds and are wiped out. Reavers wound screamers and take no wounds in return, so they crumble some.

Daemons turn 2:
Soulgrinder charges into frost phoenix, 2nd screamer units charges the reavers fighting the 1st screamer unit. Rest of chaos army advances.
Missile fire: Skull cannon has same result as last turn - puts a cannon ball right in front of RBT - but it fails to bounce.
Hand to hand: Phoenix and soul grinder put 2 wounds on each other. Phoenix passes break test at -1. Reavers fail to wound screamers and are wiped out.

HE Turn 2:
HE BSB drinks potion of full hardiness - tries to charge out of silverhelms into blodthirster - fails to roll the 7 he needs to successfully charge. Skycutter charges flank of soulgrinder.

Magic (I remember this magic phase well) - I have 10 dice to cast. Iceshard on the bloodthirster is dispelled with dice, I then doe a 2 dice bubble harmonic convergence - which goes off irrestably! Miscast is the small template explosion - the mage fails talisman of protection roll and is wounded and 7 archers die as well. I still have 4 dice in the magic pool - and fail to roll the 11 I need to get off chain lightning (even with book of hoeth re-roll on one of the 1's).

Missile fire: RBT misses the blood thirster, archers take the final wound off the skull cannon!

Hand to hand: Frostie and the sky cutter beat the soul grinder in combat - after break test it crumbles away. Soul grinder tries to kill sky cutter - but I made some awesome saves (6's) to survive. Frostie turns to face the bloodletters that are bearing down on him and the sky cutter turns to face the fleshhounds.

Chaos turn 3:
bloodthirster charges the archers unit with the mage (whoops, I should have moved him to the phoenix guard). Bloodletters charge the frost phoenix. Fleshhounds charge the skycutter. Chaos furies need a 7 to charge the RBT - and they don't make it and move 3" instead.
screamers move to avoid charge by swordmasters.

No magic or missile fire (roll magic just to see what affect on deamon army, I believe it was "eye closed")

In hand to hand the bloodthirster takes a wound, and kills lots of archers, they break and flee off the table - the bloodthirster pursues and is 1" from table edge. Fleshhounds kill skycutter, but overrun is not sufficient to take them into frost phoenix. Phoenix wins combat with bloodletters - but they pass their break test and nothing crumbles. Bloodletters reform to maximize rank.

HE Turn 3:
Time to counterattack. Phoenix guard into flank of bloodletters, Noble BSB into front of bloodletters. Note that the silverhelms are still alive and well - but phoenix blocked them from getting into combats in front of them, and the bloodthirster was behind them. They remained facing the bloodletters in case that combat was lost.

Magic: well, no magic for me anymore.
Missile fire: RBT at point blank range fails to wound bloodthirster.
Hand to hand: lots and lots of bloodletters die. No wounds taken in return by phoenix guard, noble BSB or the frost phoenix.

Chaos Turn 4:
fleshhounds charge frost phoenix in flank. Furies fail to roll a 4 to successfully charge RBT. Screamers fly over swordmasters to cause some casualties. Bloodthirster turns around to face HE units and position for charge next chaos turn.

Magic & missile fire: nothing

Hand to hand: phoenix guard, noble BSB & frostie go to town on the bloodletters - after the dust settles - they were all gone but 1. Fleshounds fail to wound frostie and after break tests - all the bloodletters and fleshhounds crumble. All 3 HE units turn to face bloodletter.

HE Turn 4:
Noble BSB, frost phoenix and phoenix guard charge bloodletter. Swordmaster try to position themselves to do something about the screamers. Silvehelms move to face chaos furies.

Magic & missile fire: Frostie got a +1 initiative due to winds of magic, I did not bother to shoot the RBT because the bloodthirster combat would determine the game victor

Hand to hand: Bloodthirster challenges and the BSB noble accepts. BSB noble wounds the thirster 3 times with his star lance! Thirster does not roll well to hit and to wound - and a couple of good rolls (including making a 6 ward save due to dragon armor) has the noble only take 1 wound in return. With 3 ranks, unit standard, battle standard, +2 wounds and a charge - the thirster rolls his break test and crumbles away!

Victory for the Asur!

I lost 2 units reavers, archmage general and unit of archers, and sky cutter; daemons lost bloodletters, soul grinder, greater daemon of khorne, and skull cannon.

After doing poorly in my last tournament (which had lots of silverhelms and Dragon princes) - I think adding the archer unit back to my army "grounded me". It kept me from being overly aggressive. I do need to understand some of the enemy units a bit better because now that I know the stats for the fleshhounds and the screamers - I should not have charged them with the reavers.

Also - the bubble harmonic convergence helped me a lot in both the O&G game and in this game against the daemons. Getting to re-roll 1's (especially for the frost phoenix) on failed to wounds and shooting was great (and frost phoenix swordmaster got to re-roll 1's to hit).

The small swordmaster unit packs a lot of punch and it gets that punch whether charging or being charged (dragon princes only get that STR 5 on the charge).

Regards,
Todd